Edition Two: Shootin' with the Sign Guy on - TNA

TSG

Too Sweet To Be Sour
I figured since I am in a posting mood, it's time to shoot with The Sign Guy on TNA. Now, as much as I do complain about TNA, I have enjoyed the last few weeks of Impact Wrestling. My whining about old guard, Bischoff and Hogan, and other regardless, the last few weeks have been good enough to keep me watching after returning from a wrong hiatus.

I recently created a thread in this section about TNA renovating their roster. But most people assumed it's because I am a jaded fan who is sick of Hogan, is a complete TNA hater and WWE mark. But sadly for them, that isn't completely it. My opinion on them needing a new roster is based off of the one sole thing that everyone want, and has bashed me about for saying they should replace the recognizable names: that is growth. People are sure to look at me like I am a crazy man, which I probably am. But it is my sure opinion that this is going to cause growth, and let me tell you why. My roster renovation was focused on ridding the roster of most of the older guys. Now, of course, there are a few that are still entertaining and can still go, so they would stay. You need veterans on the roster to establish younger talent and lead backstage. But many are gone, along with the dead weight, so to clear up space. Then we moved the current guys up to the main event, and the X-Division was re-focused upon and renovated, as the X-Division could be a major drawing point. But it's still the matter of how do I think this is going to draw. Well firstly, the advertising campaign now is perfectly fine and good. Wrestling Matters, geniuses of the business Hogan and Bischoff are keeping charge as authority figures. No longer in the center of storylines, but still make small appearances and keep things in charge. That is enough to get casual wrestling fans to tune in.

But once they watch, they are going to decide whether or not to stay do to the content. I know many casual fans that I have talked to, outside of this forum, not internet forum junkies, who say they don't watch because they are getting a replay of WCW, ECW, and older WWE. Which is why when people tune in, they will see Bubba Ray Dudley and Scott Steiner main event-ing the weekly program, just like in 1999, and see them fighting for a shot to win the world title in the BFG series. They'll see Hogan and Bischoff running a stable and opening the show, like the NWO rewritten. But if the roster is re-done, and they tune in to see A.J. Styles cutting a captivating promo, and Austin Aries and Samoa Joe putting on a 3-4 star match on TV, they'll stick around. They'll think, who are these guys, but they'll also think, they have some talent, maybe I'll watch to find out what is going on here. The truth is, a casual wrestling fan will give any wrestling they see one chance, but the content is what will hook them in. And the same content from ECW and WCW in the 90's is what failed, didn't get over, lost ratings, and went out of business. It's why Matt Hardy and Ken Anderson didn't get over in WWE, because they weren't good enough, people didn't want to see them anymore. So a casual fan won't want to see them again. If they see A.J. Styles and Robert Roode and Crimson, they might not recognize them, but at least they won't say "we've seen this before" and leave. So maybe it's time to re-focus the priority on the few veterans people will still watch, and the TNA originals and young independents waiting to be signed and show their talent. It might not be the name value, but if the name value failed the first time, it isn't going to work this time. And if it won't work this time, people won't watch, and the company won't grow. It's simple common sense and logic, and that is why I view the roster as hindering.

But now to move onto a point which is a positive. As I mentioned earlier, I have thoroughly enjoyed Impact Wrestling the past few weeks. One of the main attractions has been the X-Division being the focus due to the upcoming Destination X. In WCW, crusierweights were a critical part of the show, and many people that worked in the company acknowledged that. It created such great stars as Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, and Rey Mysterio. TNA refocused upon that, but under a different format. The same kind of non-stop action, which is emphasized in the company name, but magnified and without weight limits. It was a major focus of the company years ago, and created stars such as A.J. Styles, Christopher Daniels and Samoa Joe. It was tested in the mian event at Unbreakable 2005 in the infamous three-way, in which many casual TNA fans, not just TNA internet marks, acknowledge as one of TNA's greatest matches and it proved that the X-Division style could draw if used right. The Ultimate X is praised as one of the most innovative match creations in past years and has always provided a great show when used. The X-Division style and format is one of the few wrestling innovations of the decade that has worked successfully, and it is even used by other indy companies these days. So why has it been de-emphasized? And with the re-focus on it for the up-coming Destination X event, TNA has been abuzz and have produced more quality shows than we have seen from them in a long time. So it's clear that the X-Division draws, and there are plenty of talents on the independent circuit that can decently work the mic, and are gold in the ring, and fit the X-division format. So why not refocus upon this division again? It has proven as a draw, it is fun to watch, many fans love it and cite it as a major attraction to TNA, and going back to my first part of this post, could be a major draw as something unique and different from the other company, and from anything seen before. And that could draw in the casual fan, and the content can hook them in.

But aside from all my rants on how TNA could be better, they do seem to be on the right track lately. They have been entertaining and if the re-focus on the X-Division continues it could be one step in the right direction. Thank you for shooting with The Sign Guy, where we learned today that content draws the casual fan in, not always name value, that a roster realignment could potentially result in growth for TNA, and that the X-Division can draw. Thanks for joining, and if you have anything to say, I'm excited to see it. Thanks for reading, and let me hear your voices.

I appreciate your effort and respect your opinion [whatever it may be], but if you expect some people to read this tyrano-post/rant/"shoot", you're crazy.

I read most of it Sign Guy.

All I can say is there needs to be a mixture and the old guard need to now put their egos down and start putting over the future of the company. And I don't mean Styles needs to be putting over Gunner, I mean Angle does... if that's who they want to carry the ball, then guys like Sting, Angle, Jarrett need to be putting him over. Not Morgan, Joe or Styles.

Also I agree with catching casuals' eyes with great matches. I'm still buzzing from the Aries/Kash/Rave match. It was an awesome example of great talent putting on a truly entertaining story with no crappy complex over the top story behind it. It was just great story telling by the three guys. Aries was very cocky and started the match off with teasing the knuckle locks with both men, then they attacked him and took him out while they tried to get the flash pins on each other... it was a great and fun little match that was highly entertaining and that Impact Wrestling should have more of.

X-Division draws but will it propell them in the long run, even help them compete with WWE since that's their goal? No. If they propelled the X-Division and completely focused on that the most they would like is a bunch of Americans trying to be luchadors or a bunch of random Indie high-flyers trying to make a name for themselves. The X-Division can stay but in terms of it being the focal part of TNA, its time has come and gone

Though they should sit out the old guys I must say. Have them propell the young guns then retire. Hell have Styles face Sting in a Retirement Match to put AJ over.

Im liking the new change for TNA/IW. Im actually starting to tune back in. I quit watching for a couple years because im not a fan of the bishoff/hogan/russo combo of running things. Then they lost all the great wrestlers like christopher daniels, petey williams, low ki and everyone who made the x division great. I used to watch all those $10 PPVS then the first few months they made it on spike tv. But they they started to lose me.

They hired to many WCW/WWE guys. I watched TNA to see something new/different. Instead i got treated to the WWE C show. I dont want to watch has beens like RVD, ric flair etc. And for the longest time we only had 3 guys who were there since day one. Give me back the old TNA and ill gladly tune it.

The x division championship was once regarded as EQUAL to the TNA heavyweight/world title. It had so much respect and was promoted like it mattered. AJ Styles for years was promoted as the best/Mr TNA etc....and he was. Hell, he still is. Sure hes not the most charasmatic guy, but he has the look and is arguably the best wrestler their besides kurt angle and christopher daniels.

i didnt really read what uve wrote but i watched tna the most recent one i havent watched it for about 4months and i got to say im very impressed and for the 1st time ever can actually watch tna i dont no maybe its because of miss techmacher and stings rip of on heath ledgers joker but im actually looking forward to next weeks impact

I Read most of what you wrote but I stop in the Middle because you weren't making valid points, for instance, matt hardy and mr. kennedy-Anderson weren't over in wwe, I watch raw and smack every week and im sure they were over and their matches kept me tuned in. Then you said the guys no one knows would draw in the casual fans because you talk to your freinds who you refered to as junkies, first of all we are the wrestling junkies we watch no matter, a casual fan watches because someone they know is on but keep watching because they like what they see, wich is why they don't need to make any changes to their roster as it is, i do agree maybe they can bring in more younger tallent but I like the older tallent they have now, I love sting, Scott Stiener still gives great promos and matches, and bully Ray has never been or looked better, he is in the best shape of his carrier and his in ring physicality keeps me tuned in alone it's what makes him so great for tna because hes made guys better, example Aj Styles, he was already gread but the physical nature in wich he wrestle now is making him go up on my list wich he is currently #3 to me. I like their current roster, could it be better? yeh. Is it good for now? I know so.

Quite frankly over the last year TNA has been trimming the Old Guard with Foley, Nash, and Dreamer going while Flair is on the hot seat with his attitude, and Sting is on his way out most likely within the year.

Right now TNA are trying to establish Gunner and Crimson as new stars and building Bubba Dudley as a key heel for the company.

Angle is leaving soon to train for an Olympic run and only has a year or two left in his body and Scott Steiner is always in pain when he wrestles and to his credit can still put on a great match.

Personally the only older guys I see being in TNA in a year are:
Bubba Ray,
Angle,
Steiner,
Hogan (Non-Wrestler/Booker),
Bischoff (Executive Producer),

In two years you can cut Angle and Steiner off that list too. Eric Bischoff, since he took over as top executive directly involved in the product (Executive Producer) three months ago has been slowly making quite a few changes. I think the changes are going to continue and the product will continue to improve, and young guys get slowly built up.

I'll be honest with you, Sign Guy. I don't wanna seem like I'm flaming, but I could not digest half the bullshit you wrote. No, I'm not saying you are wrong. But you literally wrote "TNA is OK, but it could be better" in 4 paragraphs. I don't know if you are familiar with the term, but that's what most of the regulars refer as a "word fort". This is not a "shoot". This is you trying to get people to say "I agree" because you are just saying the same thing on everyone's mind, but with a really freakin' long sentence.

This "cutting the roster" thing is brutally far from reality and just bad business in general. Regardless of what you think. You don't just remodel your roster like magic. There's hundreds of business decisions and observations to be made. Your ideal roster, as you presented it in that other thread you mentioned, could take years to shape. They can't just swipe talent from SHIMMER and ROH. They can't just toss THE BIGGEST NAMES IN WRESTLING just because they are, in your eyes, hogging the TV. You talk about internet wrestling junkies as if you weren't acting like one. But here you are talking about remodeling rosters and "going in the right direction". The hell do you know? Ratings are still floundering and even dropping despite the huge emphasis on the X Division and wrestling. There's no NBA anymore. There are no excuses for ratings to drop even if by a 0.1. TNA is responding to the IWC norm and the results are the same as usual in terms of ratings. Stranded in the same place.

Hulk Hogan is doing his job of being a major public figure. Hulk's job is to be that. A public figure to aid the company in it's outside view. He has not been ratings powerhouse by himself since 1991. Anyone can see it. But most choose to not accept it. They'd still would rather see him as a "messiah" just to laugh by masquerading themselves as "atheists". Or more precisely "smart wrestlings". There's a reason "smarks" are frowned upon in the real wrestling world. Eric Bischoff is a producer for TNA. If you can't figure out what use he has then "shhh" is my only advise for you. As is for everything else you've said.

This is the end of my post and this has been "Shooting With The Killjoy".

I'll be honest with you, Sign Guy. I don't wanna seem like I'm flaming, but I could not digest half the bullshit you wrote. No, I'm not saying you are wrong. But you literally wrote "TNA is OK, but it could be better" in 4 paragraphs. I don't know if you are familiar with the term, but that's what most of the regulars refer as a "word fort". This is not a "shoot". This is you trying to get people to say "I agree" because you are just saying the same thing on everyone's mind, but with a really freakin' long sentence.

Ah, it was cool when Will did it. ;)

There was actually more content there then that, but that was the main phiosophy behind it.

This "cutting the roster" thing is brutally far from reality and just bad business in general. Regardless of what you think. You don't just remodel your roster like magic. There's hundreds of business decisions and observations to be made. Your ideal roster, as you presented it in that other thread you mentioned, could take years to shape. They can't just swipe talent from SHIMMER and ROH. They can't just toss THE BIGGEST NAMES IN WRESTLING just because they are, in your eyes, hogging the TV. You talk about internet wrestling junkies as if you weren't acting like one. But here you are talking about remodeling rosters and "going in the right direction". The hell do you know? Ratings are still floundering and even dropping despite the huge emphasis on the X Division and wrestling. There's no NBA anymore. There are no excuses for ratings to drop even if by a 0.1. TNA is responding to the IWC norm and the results are the same as usual in terms of ratings. Stranded in the same place.

I agree. I don't really expect it to be a magical, overnight thing. It would take a year or two, and that is something that I am in no way disagreeing with. But the way I see it, in laymen's terms. Names do not equal viewership. Content equals viewership. Half of the content they are presenting now has already failed to gain viewership, or gained it for a short while but it's time is done. So new content needs to be ushered in, albeit slowly. This goes for matches, stars, storylines, the whole deal. You have to understand, it's not just the older guys but the dead weight. My definition of dead weight is different than most in this particular situation, as I see people lie Anderson and Hardy as dead weight, as they were already pushed out of WWE as they couldn't cut it, and the viewers that tuned in to TNA weren't captivated enough with them the second time around to stay, and the ratings are the same.

Completely honestly, I thin that if this focus on the X-Division stays, it is a good first step. Many older stars are being ushered out, and with this Sting storyline, I am thinking it may be the transition on Hogan and Bischoff from main storyline players into just authority figures, not centered in storylines, which would help a lot. Honestly, this is a plan that I think may be already be in play and being worked upon, but it hasn't fully happened yet. It takes time and the last few weeks have interested me, for sure, and I will set it out and see. I just wanted to give my input on the particular subject, as it was weighing on my mid at the time.

Hulk Hogan is doing his job of being a major public figure. Hulk's job is to be that. A public figure to aid the company in it's outside view. He has not been ratings powerhouse by himself since 1991. Anyone can see it. But most choose to not accept it. They'd still would rather see him as a "messiah" just to laugh by masquerading themselves as "atheists". Or more precisely "smart wrestlings". There's a reason "smarks" are frowned upon in the real wrestling world. Eric Bischoff is a producer for TNA. If you can't figure out what use he has then "shhh" is my only advise for you. As is for everything else you've said.

I can understand Bischoff and Hogan's position and use to the company. I don't even want them completely off my television screen, a small authority roll would do, and they could be very useful behind the scenes. But I just don't think they belong in central storylines in 2011. Many casual fans I have talked to completely agree with me as well. It is just an opinion, but a majority of people I know agree with it.

But once they watch, they are going to decide whether or not to stay do to the content. I know many casual fans that I have talked to, outside of this forum, not internet forum junkies, who say they don't watch because they are getting a replay of WCW, ECW, and older WWE. Which is why when people tune in, they will see Bubba Ray Dudley and Scott Steiner main event-ing the weekly program, just like in 1999, and see them fighting for a shot to win the world title in the BFG series. They'll see Hogan and Bischoff running a stable and opening the show, like the NWO rewritten. But if the roster is re-done, and they tune in to see A.J. Styles cutting a captivating promo, and Austin Aries and Samoa Joe putting on a 3-4 star match on TV, they'll stick around. They'll think, who are these guys, but they'll also think, they have some talent, maybe I'll watch to find out what is going on here. The truth is, a casual wrestling fan will give any wrestling they see one chance, but the content is what will hook them in. And the same content from ECW and WCW in the 90's is what failed, didn't get over, lost ratings, and went out of business. It's why Matt Hardy and Ken Anderson didn't get over in WWE, because they weren't good enough, people didn't want to see them anymore. So a casual fan won't want to see them again. If they see A.J. Styles and Robert Roode and Crimson, they might not recognize them, but at least they won't say "we've seen this before" and leave. So maybe it's time to re-focus the priority on the few veterans people will still watch, and the TNA originals and young independents waiting to be signed and show their talent. It might not be the name value, but if the name value failed the first time, it isn't going to work this time. And if it won't work this time, people won't watch, and the company won't grow. It's simple common sense and logic, and that is why I view the roster as hindering.

The points you raised that I bolded seem to be based more on the running of the show than the roster. Bully Ray appearing in the Main Event may seem odd to a casual fan who remembers him as part of a tag-team, but by the same token this curiosity could be what makes them stick around as they think, 'Where's his brother?' It's familiar and different at the same time.

Sting's story at the moment seems to be the biggest drawing point of TNA/IW at the moment, and his targets are Bischoff and Hogan. These 3 are well-known names to casual fans, but Sting's newest character tweak isn't. Again, familiar and different.

I understand your point though and somewhat agree that a reshuffle of the conventional order would be good, like when they opened the show with a tag match a few weeks ago. One problem I believe is that people recognise that when a wrestling show starts, it tends to start with a promo to further a feud and set-up the main event later on rather than with a match straight-away, or god-forbid a backstage cat-fight.

But now to move onto a point which is a positive. As I mentioned earlier, I have thoroughly enjoyed Impact Wrestling the past few weeks. One of the main attractions has been the X-Division being the focus due to the upcoming Destination X. In WCW, crusierweights were a critical part of the show, and many people that worked in the company acknowledged that. It created such great stars as Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, and Rey Mysterio. TNA refocused upon that, but under a different format. The same kind of non-stop action, which is emphasized in the company name, but magnified and without weight limits. It was a major focus of the company years ago, and created stars such as A.J. Styles, Christopher Daniels and Samoa Joe. It was tested in the mian event at Unbreakable 2005 in the infamous three-way, in which many casual TNA fans, not just TNA internet marks, acknowledge as one of TNA's greatest matches and it proved that the X-Division style could draw if used right. The Ultimate X is praised as one of the most innovative match creations in past years and has always provided a great show when used. The X-Division style and format is one of the few wrestling innovations of the decade that has worked successfully, and it is even used by other indy companies these days. So why has it been de-emphasized? And with the re-focus on it for the up-coming Destination X event, TNA has been abuzz and have produced more quality shows than we have seen from them in a long time. So it's clear that the X-Division draws, and there are plenty of talents on the independent circuit that can decently work the mic, and are gold in the ring, and fit the X-division format. So why not refocus upon this division again? It has proven as a draw, it is fun to watch, many fans love it and cite it as a major attraction to TNA, and going back to my first part of this post, could be a major draw as something unique and different from the other company, and from anything seen before. And that could draw in the casual fan, and the content can hook them in.

I thought they were? One has to be careful in saying that it draws though. It is an attraction, no doubt about that, but perhaps any perceived draws it has received is down to TNA having kept the spotlight off of it for a while and are now shining the light back on it again.

Now to play devil's advocate I'm afraid concerning Jericho, Eddie, Rey, AJ, Daniels and Joe.

The WCW cruiser-weights were praised for being innovative, high-flying and entertaining and they did eventually find success. However, when success came, it was not solely because they were cruiser-weights, they had to build themselves physically and develop a more all-round style. Yes they could call upon moves more suited to the cruiser-weight style in their bigger matches, but when Jericho became undisputed champ it wasn't because he moonsaulted and hurricanrana'd the balls out of Rock and Stone Cold. Eddie's win over Brock was focused more on his 'never-say-die' attitude and the 'lie-cheat-style' gimmick too. Rey was friends with Eddie for his first run and was given the title the 2nd time to keep him around a while.

The TNA 3 did make their names as X-Division stars, but who else have been the X-Division success stories? Kazarian? Maybe the Machine Guns? The X Division has created some interesting personalities and competitors, but no-one else seems to have been able to make the jump like the guys already mentioned. That's a bit concerning, but can be put down to numerous factors. Creating characters is a good start, but being able to make them last and develop seems to be a stumbling block for them and TNA.

But aside from all my rants on how TNA could be better, they do seem to be on the right track lately. They have been entertaining and if the re-focus on the X-Division continues it could be one step in the right direction. Thank you for shooting with The Sign Guy, where we learned today that content draws the casual fan in, not always name value, that a roster realignment could potentially result in growth for TNA, and that the X-Division can draw. Thanks for joining, and if you have anything to say, I'm excited to see it. Thanks for reading, and let me hear your voices.

I think the roster realignment is happening, but it's not an instant process and has to be handled well. Gunner and Crimson are the two guys currently tipped to be the next big things for TNA, but I heard that about Pope and Matt Morgan, so I am hoping TNA can handle these guys better. Personally I prefer Gunner just now despite him being far from the finished article as he has shown a lot more personality than Crimson. They are on the right track though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back