Anyone else loving TNA right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
TNA has better actual wrestlers then WWE everyone knows that.... But the actual shows suck! The booking is bad, the Camera quality, the announcing is horrible.. The segments the Fueds... I just rather watch WWE before I tuned to watch an episode of Money Nitro revamped and packaged and called TNA impact.

AJ Styles, Robert Roode, and Kaz aka Suicide is the only reason I want TNA..

It's completely idiotic to say Raw is better then current Impact, in my opinion current Smackdown isn't as good as Impact, it was a few weeks ago but that's another story. TNA is actually pushing their absolute best and the build up for B4G has been better then any PPV build up ive seen in a long time. I think some people crap on TNA for how bad they were in 07/08 and dont even give it a chance now to see how it's made a complete turn around.

I'm not loving it but I'm not hating it, I'm far from that.

I think are doing a average job promoting their biggest Pay-Per-View in history (or the PPV that should live to that assumption), Bound for Glory is all about Passing the Torch to a new generation of wrestlers, we will see Sting squaring off against AJ Styles in what should be Sting's last match, it won't be anyway, but it should be, this is the right moment to AJ Styles retain the belt against a legend like Sting.

Speaking of Legends, the Legends Championship is probably the most stupid idea they had last year, it doesn't make any sense, a Legend in TNA has to be someone that has held every title or at least is in the top 3 of TNA's World HeavyWeight Championship title reigns, I think that pretending they have Legends in Kevin Nash, Hernandez or Eric Young it's just plain stupid, Nash isn't a Legend, he never was, never will, Hernandez or Young are way far from it.

We will see also the end of Main-Event Mafia, with Kurt Angle losing to Matt Morgan and Booker T/Steiner losing their tag team belts, I'm guessing this means that they will have to play with the younger guys in their roster, I'm not sure if they are ready...

They should be promoting this a year ago! It doesn't make any sense to rush it in a two or three months period... anyway, TNA is doing an average job, I think they could a lot better, but they are certainly better than they were before, for me, it isn't enough.

I find myself getting more excited to see IMPACT! each week. I've been watching TNA for about three or four years now, and for some reason now I feel myself really getting into it. The rise of Matt Morgan this year has been one of the main reasons TNA is growing on me. AJ winning the heavyweight championship was also a great moment this year. Of course there is the growing speculation of Sting's retirement, which is also been intresting to keep an eye on. Sting is one the few legends left still wrestling, and it's going to be curious to see how this saga unfolds. So am I loving TNA right now? Almost, I have to wait until after BFG this sunday to make up my mind.

I'm watching Super Impact right now.

Has TNA been announcing time limits all along, or is that something new? I've always thought that the time-limit draw should be brought back, it should be in the booker's match-without-a-finish toolkit. Wouldn't a 20-minute time-limit draw be the best finish for Styles-Angle? Everyone looks good, and Angle-Styles is there for a future PPV main event. (I know they've wrestled before, but not lately).

EDIT: I didn't think that's what they WOULD do, just what they SHOULD do.

For the most part, yes, with a few major caveats.

Impact's been fairly solid for the past year or so. I enjoy the pacing and presentation of the show, the greater emphasis on midcard and undercard talent, and the attention given to alternate divisions in comparison to the WWE. While the X-division is currently a shadow of it's former self, on average I still care a lot more about TNA's X, Tag and Knockouts divisions than the WWE's equivalents. In addition, the commentary has been steadily improving, and TNA's humor segments actually make me laugh (I haven't laughed at WWE programming in nearly a decade. At least not in a good way).

Also, TNA has done a good job lately of pushing original talent who have paid there dues, such as Hernandez, Beer Money, AJ, CHRIS Daniels, Joe, EY, etc, (which I believe is a much more sensible strategy than pushing rookies and hoping for a 'golden goose', like Goldberg or Lesnar). And in the past year or so, the Original's have really come into there own, finding there own identities and niche's. Which is a major improvement, because in the past TNA had real problems creating and marketing characters. While there's still work to do in that area, just about everyone has a personality or a gimmick or something that sets them apart, and most of these seem to be fairly natural extensions of the wrestlers personalities (which, IMO, is a good thing).

Finally, in terms of wrestler status/the card, so far TNA has managed to maintain the illusion or feeling that 'anything can happen'; that on any given night a wrestlers status could be elevated and that anyone can beat anyone. This is partly due to the current main event consisting mostly of old guys on the verge of retirement (Sting, Booker, Steiner, Nash, etc) with only a few obvious successors in place (AJ, Joe, Hernandez, Morgan), and partly due to the obvious talent of the midcard and TNA management's apparent willingness to elevate them. Whether it's illusion or reality remains to be seen, but overall I believe that TNA is a lot more likely to take risks with booking and pushes, and while this may not always pay off, it certainly keeps things interesting.

Now for the bad:

The main problem right now is TNA's complete inability to promote and execute a PPV that is worth the purchase price. PPV's are treated like long Impacts, with overbooked matches and little to no storyline resolution. PPV gimmick matches are usually notoriously awful and it seems that the talent are often left working around the matches gimmick, rather than with it.

Also, match finishes (both on PPV and on Impact) are often overbooked and stupid, failing to elevate the talent involved and failing to satisfy the audience. Matches themselves seem to be poorly planned: some matches that should go to ppv are aired on Impact without any advertising, while some PPV matches seem like standard TV stuff. And while TNA has done a great job of promoting younger talent, they seem unwilling to push them the final stretch. It seems that every time a talent gets close to that glass ceiling, they move a step backward. Which is probably best conveyed by the shortage of 'clean' wins by TNA talent over MEM and established stars (for example, I just watched AJ fail to pin Kurt going into the biggest PPV of the year, and for no conceivable reason).

Finally, while I enjoy unpredictability in wrestling, TNA has taken it a bit too far, often springing surprises that make absolutely no sense. For example, Joe's heel turn to join the MEM, or Hernandez cashing in his FoF case to compete in a 5 way match. It's hard to surprise wrestling fans nowadays, but that doesen't excuse nonsensical writing.

Most of these issues involve Creative, and while the overall creative direction of TNA has improved recently, it's still something that needs a lot of work. I hope it will get better, but I gave up on expecting a perfect wrestling show years ago. Other than that, I think TNA needs to do more live television outside of Orlando and drastically needs to change the 'Impact Zone' around, but I realize these may be budget issues. Overall, Impact remains a good watch, and I still think that TNA has the superior in-ring product. But if they ever really want to compete with the WWE, they are going to have to start delivering on ppv's, avoiding nonsensical booking as much as possible, and putting more effort into attracting new viewers.

I think Spike TV maybe the problem why TNA doesn't have a larger audience. I think they are doing good for a company that has only been around 7 years. I don't want to see TNA compete with WWE because even though they have a better product, WWE would crush them. The finish for the Styles/Angle match was perfect because it left you wanting more, and neither men lost anything going into Bound For Glory. I do feel Morgan and Hernadez are breaking through that glass ceiling.

I mean just because they don't have a title around their waist, doesn't mean they aren't booked properly. Give them time, don't rush things. WWE learned that the hard way. We can all nitpick about every wrestling show, but TNA leaves you wanting more and leaving you glued to you television screen. Even if you know the outcome or read the spoilers, it still keeps you entertained and on the edge of your seat.

Watch Bound For Glory and everyone will know what I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back