Edge Is The New World Heavyweight Champion

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Tonight at TLC Edge grabbed the World Heavyweight Championship, and he is now a ten time world champion.

Kane's reign had become VERY stale, so I can understand why WWE would do this. I thought Kane might hold on to the belt until Taker's return, but I was wrong. Edge MIGHT go into Wretlemania as the champion, because I just can't see WWE putting the belt back on Kane. Del Rio isn't ready, and Mysterio will probably continue his feud with Del Rio. Smackdown doesn't have too many other guys who are ready for a WHC run, so Edge isn't a bad option.

I'm glad WWE is giving Edge a chance as a face world champion, and I'm looking forward to seeing how his reign will develop.

What are your thoughts on Edge's WHC win?

Edge is probably the best option to hold the title right now, as he's a veteran who can be relied on to carry younger talent. I see a return match with Kane at Royal Rumble, hopefully to end this feud. I totally expect Edge to carry the title through to Mania at least.

Edge is pretty much all Smackdown! has right now besides Del Rio. The two of them should probably be the title feud going into Wrestlemania. Who else could face him, other than maybe someone returning from injury? I'd love for Del Rio to win the Rumble and challenge Edge *fingers crossed*!

I'm happy that Edge is world champ, let him fight Del Rio, he can feud with Del Rio until the Elimination Chamber, Edge loses to Del Rio & then maybe I can get my Alberto Del Rio vs Kofi feud because I would love to see Del Rio's car trashed or stolen....;)

Edge is champion now which is great for smackdown, and I see it all leading to Edge vs Christian at Mania! The Slammy's was just a taste of seeing them together, whether as friend or foe, we're about to see alot more of E&C in the ring

TLC was an awesome pay per view. I didn't want to judge it just after I'd finished watching it because the novelty hadn't have worn off and I was still pumped up, but now that I look back on it I think that it was easily one of the best pay per views of the year. My fear was that it was to star studded and that they couldn't pull it off. I had the same problem with Wrestlemania 26. The card was so built up, it was amazing, but I felt personally that it didn't really meet demands. TLC however, did meet demands.

Edge's 10th World Heavyweight Championship win was great. I honestly thought Kane was going to retain, despite wanting Edge to win. It was a major shocker at first, but I was marking out afterwards. Great to see Edge finally get his 10th, and well deserved, World Heavyweight Championship.

I think Kane's still going to be in the picture though, what with the storyline that was going on, and the fact that Kane is entitled to a rematch. I also, funnily enough, thought Rey Mysterio performed really well in this match. I'm not a big Rey fan, but he impressed me in this match. Del Rio didn't really have many spots in this match besides his big bump at the end which was awesome, so I take my hat off to all 4 superstars.

Great match, great PPV, great build-up to 2011.
Congratulations, Edge.

The most intriguing thing to come out of this is the fact that this will be Edge's first reign of the ten as a face. We've seen him for so long as a Miz-like opportunisitic champion that it will be refreshing to see if and how this reign differs from his previous ones. The genuine emotion Edge displayed upon winning was a great thing to see considering his return less then a year ago from a career threatening injury. A great match where all four wrestlers worked their rears off to make this an excellent title match, which was a pleasant last second change from the original one on one matchup. Who Edge feuds with from here should be interesting as well as Smackdown has many mid-card heels but are short on main event wrestlers in general. But a great win for a deserving champion and nice to see Edge join such an elite group as a 10 time champion, as he assuredly deserves it.

Edge more than likely will be carrying the title into Wrestlemania. I see two directions that WWE will take this feud, one that I would like to see more than the other.

I think that Christian will be winning the Royal Rumble. They teased them facing off at the Slammy's so I really think this is possible and I'd love them two to feud over the world title and battle of the biggest stage of them all.

The second thing I see happening is big Zeke Jackson "Dominating" Smackdown and wins the title from Edge. I really don't think that Zeke is ready for the push but there is obviously a reason he was moved to Smackdown and Edge needs a new feud.

Thank god, not so much for the fact that Edge is champ (although I am glad that happened too) but because Kane's title reign is over. That reign was AWFUL, he did not have one good match during a 6 month reign, that is just inexcusable. Sure he had a few very good promos but that isn't enough for a good reign. Now that he has had his second reign that people were asking for keep him away from the title for ever.

Anyway I am getting off topic, Edge is champ that is definitely the right choice. First up he is extremely over at the moment, he is getting consistently good pops on SD and got a freaking eruption when he grabbed the title tonight. Edges face run is going really well so far with solid promos and matches and he is very deserving of his first ever face title run. Please WWE don't fuck it up by turning him heel which wrestlezone reported as being a possibility, that would just be stupid beyond belief considering that he only just turned and he is getting great pops.

Where too from here for him? I fully expect him to hold the title through to al least Mania and possibly after that so I will run you through what I see happening. First off I can see him having a rematch with Kane on SD between now and the Royal Rumble to finish that off and clear up Kane to compete in the Rumble. From there he will probably get a filler title match at the Rumble with Del Rio most likely.

As for his WM opponent, I have two options that I think are feasible, Christian or HHH who are two of my three Rumble winner picks. The Christian feud would write it's self, Christian returns to winning the rumble but assures Edge he will face the other champ and the two become friends/associates again, however Christian slowly starts to become jealous of Edges success and turns heel on him and faces him at WM. HHH I feel is a possibility because it is a never before done feud and those are best saved for Maina.

Edge is champion again, big fuckin' whoop. I've lost just about all interest in the SD ME scene again. If he's going to keep it until Mania, that'll be the 4th year in a row that he'll have been in one of the title matches at the biggest PPV of the year. Not even Austin did that!

Opinion of Kane's title reign aside, i feel that was a pretty shit way to end his title reign.

2 months of chasing Edge around, trying to get his dad back, only to accidentally 'kill' him, and then make no mention of it at all on the PPV, and then just lose in a random 4 way gimmick match..... which is what happened to the last heel champion on SD was it not? LAME!

And now what to do with Edge as champion.... a face champion, no less? Well he's got:-

1. Kane again (rematch clause)
2. Swagger (They have good chemistry, but seemingly it'd be another 'Swagger's jobbing left, right and center' and then suddenly he's #1 contender again)
3. Del Rio (Who's still yet to have a freakin' 1 on 1 PPV match with the guy he started a fued with 4 or 5 months ago!)
4. Zeke Jackson (Seriously? The second coming of Ahmed Johnson? Who hasn't even delivered a promo since his return from injury 3 months ago? THAT's who you'd want to challenge Edge?)
5. Christian (I've given up hope that Vince will actually try to utilise Christian in any significant way ever again)

And anyway, aren't they supposed to doing a Champion Unification Match at Mania? So right now that says 'Edge v Miz' or, what is more likely to happen now that Cena's finished with Barrett, Edge v Cena with Cena becoming the Undisputed Champion.

At least Kane as champion at Mania would have been something different.

I'm trying to think of the last time Edge had an interesting title reign. His second title reign was okay but the highlights of that were more outside of the ring than inside during his feud with Cena in the summer of 2006. I'm not the biggest Kane fan but his title reign ended terribly. He went from beating the Undertaker three straight times to being reduced to a pansy. Edge has been stale forever and I don't think this title reign is going to help given the lack of main event talent on Smackdown. I don't even think Kane is going to use his rematch clause so options for the Royal Rumble are limited. I want to see a Edge/Ziggler because Dolph is almost there and a match with Edge would be a great barometer of his main event potential. I don't see any reason why this title reign would be any different than the rest.

I can't say I'm too enthused about the prospect of another Edge title run and I can't help but feel they took the title off Kane just so Edge can say he's a 10 time World Champion, who would have ever thought this guy would be a 10 time champ? I know I didn't. It also wasn't a great way to have Kane lose in that he spent a month being Edge's bitch after having being on fire throughout the summer. But it is what it is and I suppose it will be good to see what he can accomplish as a face champion now that the fans seem to give a damn about him as a face. I have a feeling that Edge could wind up facing Christian (if he's back in time and doesn't face Alberto) for the title at Wrestlemania, not that I think Vince has necessarily changed his opinion on Christian suddenly, but the little interaction between Edge and Chrisitan at the Slammys could be a subtle little hint of a future program between these two...

The match was good and I am glad that Edge has finally won 10 world championships but I am not at all excited by the state of things on Smackdown. Really who is Edge going to feud with. Kane? Already been done and it has been an uninteresting feud to say the least. Del Rio? He might be the one to feud with Edge but really his feud with Mysterio has not been resolved as yet. Maybe it will be a three way at the Royal Rumble between Edge, Mysterio and Del Rio. Either way I don't really care because of the lack of an actual storyline.

But at least Edge's win will get the IWC talking that we could see Edge vs Christian at Wrestlemania. That is one match that I am really excited to see on a main event level and it will be interesting to see who will be the face in that encounter as both guys are presently faces.

I'm upset that Kane lost and I fear that this will be his last world title reign; i just hope that he is used correctly.

Edge will most likely face Christian at Mania and it will be a good match but Edge will win. There are others to put the belt on but for some reason Edge seems to be the go to guy for Manias.

Im a huge fan of Edge, he is an all-round superstar, this mic skills are undoughtably one of the best as they make me laugh on a weekly basis! He is a smart superstar both in and out of the ring and his win at TLC last night proved to me further that he is an amazing superstar and deserves to be the World Heavyweight Champion!

I'm pretty happy about this. I'm not the biggest Edge fan, but I was getting very bored with Kane's reign. It was going nowhere and I found it to be just flat out boring.

With that said, Edge really was the best option. As far as top faces on Smackdown go, you have Edge, Big Show, and Mysterio. Edge was the best option out of these. He has been pretty good as during this most recent face run and I think he'll have a pretty good run as champ. As far as future challengers go, Kane will get his rematch, then Del Rio will probably get pushed further into the main event, and maybe Swagger will get himself back in the world title picture.

Edge will fued with Del Rio, Mysterio, and Christain before the end of his reign. First edge will beat Kane in the rematch on smackdown, he will beat del rio in a 2 month program which means there will only be 1 elimination chamber match, and Edge vs Christian at Mania with the good feel story of edge pushing a well deserved christain to the main event scene. Edge eventually screws christian over some how thus turning edge heel.

First off, MAJOR props to all four guys in that match. They put on one hell of a show out there and while it was overshadowed on the card and took place after some other great gimmick matches, I'm still going to remember that one fondly. I have been an Edgehead for a long time, and am obviously happy with the result. He is one of the most gifted overall workers with the rare combination of great ringwork and fantastic mic skills, and deserves a lot of credit for what he brings; not to mention how dedicated he is, to the point where he's battled back from career threatening injuries. The raw emotion in his face when he was climbing the ladder, even before grabbing the belt, speaks volumes about how seriously the guy takes his career and how much his accomplishments mean to him. Hell, you could even argue that he "broke character" by "giving it away" when he wasn't all the way up the ladder. It was a nice moment, especially given that a year ago, he probably wasn't sure he'd ever even have another match. Very interesting that he made it to 10 before Cena, though.

Kane's reign had gotten incredibly stale--months ago. His micwork was fun at times, but his matches were incredibly dull. To people complaining about how the reign ended, Edge himself had a good jab at the kidnapping plot, saying on last week's Smackdown that he hoped people would forget it ever happened, and while Kane may have looked weak backstage, he was strong in the match and didn't go out looking like a "pansy/pussy/whatever". A gimmick match was arguably the best way to take the strap off of a guy who was just built up as unstoppable. Think about it that way.

In response to Little Jerry Lawler's suggestion that matches with Edge would test Ziggler's potential for the main event: I wholeheartedly agree that Ziggler is an excellent choice for a feud with Edge, and Edge would be a great guy to cement him there. Ziggler faced Edge in a Bragging Rights qualifying match on Smackdown and has unquestionably proven this already. This match was absolutely fucking EPIC, and I would love to see a sustained, multi-match feud between the two. In case you missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rDSYrKY-3A

Not only would I call it PPV quality, but separately, Ziggler has been involved in arguably some of the best or at least most entertaining PPV matches in the past several months, as well as some fantastic TV matches. I am an incredibly huge mark for both of these guys and think that they could create something magical. Regardless, Edge is great at putting over new talent and making people look good in the ring even when they aren't (he didn't mesh well with Kane, but the plodding monster style is difficult for anyone to work with). I'm guessing he'll have some matches with Del Rio and Swagger before all is said and done, possibly a cross-over TV match or two with someone from Raw (Miz?), and hopefully Ziggler gets at least one match with him before all is said and done.

Edge is champion again, big fuckin' whoop. I've lost just about all interest in the SD ME scene again. If he's going to keep it until Mania, that'll be the 4th year in a row that he'll have been in one of the title matches at the biggest PPV of the year. Not even Austin did that!

Opinion of Kane's title reign aside, i feel that was a pretty shit way to end his title reign.

2 months of chasing Edge around, trying to get his dad back, only to accidentally 'kill' him, and then make no mention of it at all on the PPV, and then just lose in a random 4 way gimmick match..... which is what happened to the last heel champion on SD was it not? LAME!

And now what to do with Edge as champion.... a face champion, no less? Well he's got:-

1. Kane again (rematch clause)
2. Swagger (They have good chemistry, but seemingly it'd be another 'Swagger's jobbing left, right and center' and then suddenly he's #1 contender again)
3. Del Rio (Who's still yet to have a freakin' 1 on 1 PPV match with the guy he started a fued with 4 or 5 months ago!)
4. Zeke Jackson (Seriously? The second coming of Ahmed Johnson? Who hasn't even delivered a promo since his return from injury 3 months ago? THAT's who you'd want to challenge Edge?)
5. Christian (I've given up hope that Vince will actually try to utilise Christian in any significant way ever again)

And anyway, aren't they supposed to doing a Champion Unification Match at Mania? So right now that says 'Edge v Miz' or, what is more likely to happen now that Cena's finished with Barrett, Edge v Cena with Cena becoming the Undisputed Champion.

At least Kane as champion at Mania would have been something different.

dude i dont get your sig please help

edge vs chistain would be great but i dont see that coming especailly because vince dont like christain. hes a great competator and would love to see them face off but i dont see it happening. i actually see edge vs alberto del rio for the world title. hope not because its albertos rookie year in wwe's main roster.

I like the idea of Edge as champion. Kane doesn't have a real feud that intrigues me at this point and I think both he and Undertaker should retire on the same night. I'm just not into the roles at this particular point.

But, I suppose I could be wrong.

Regardless, I think that Edge as a face becomes relevant and would allow the heels on Smackdown! to chase a crafty face, which is rare. Usually, it's the other way around, with the bad guy always having the upper hand and chasing the champion.

del Rio is still a little too new and Rey brings nothing to the table at this point as champion.

Hopefully, some feuds with del Rio and Jack Swagger materialize.

Has anyone mentioned the other options?
Ok, so Kane will have his rematch, and then it's likely to break off.
People have been talking about Del Rio being one of the only options, but he'll be busy with Mysterio. Doesn't that mean an opportunity to elevate the midcard heels. Cody Rhodes and Drew Mcintyre are doing nothing, and although Drew's push has been delayed, I don't think they've given up on him. I could see a short program with some of the young blood going into the Rumble.

Edge won the World Heavyweight Championship two days ago and only 21 people have posted on this thread; 190 people posted on the "The Miz Is The New WWE Champion" thread. You can take that however you want, but to me it seems as though people don't care about this. If Alberto had won, or even Rey, I'm guessing their would be a lot more interest and talking (both negative and positive.)

Edge was the safe bet. Kane was getting stale as champion, Del Rio hasn't proved himself yet, and Rey is...Rey. Edge has been gaining lots of momentum recently (even if the whole Paul Bearer stuff was ridiculous) and he's one of the only strong veterans/stars on Smackdown, so this made perfect sense. However, I'm not very interested.

Edge's reigns, though numerous, are rarely short and forgettable. On top of this, though his new face persona is relatively fresh, I don't feel emotionally connected to Edge whatsoever. He was a mess on Raw, he came to Smakcdown, turned face, tormented Kane, and then won the belt. Sure Kane was a monster, but Edge made him look weak; making it seem like Edge hasn't really overcome anything since turning face.

The future doesn't look very bright either: Kane has his rematch clause. Also, I doubt Edge will hold on to the belt until Wrestlemania as a face; this means A) he's gonna turn heel and revert back to his stale gimmick or B) he drops the belt soon and this goes down as another of his short forgettable reigns. That beign said, I am anticipating a feud between Edge and Del Rio.

I think Edge will hold the World Heavyweight Title through Wrestlemania. Possibly Feuding with Alberto Del Rio going into the Royal Rumble,defending it at Elimination Chamber,and anyones guess who he might face at Wrestlemania. I am glad he won his 10th Title to join an exclusive club.

I am definitely glad the Edge won the World Championship last night. Although, I must say, I am surprised that Stephanie and Vince allowed him to accomplish his tenth reign before John Cena. There's no denying that he's earned it and is very proud to be a 10-time Champion, as is evidenced by the emotion we all saw on his face, even as he was climbing the ladder.

Also, this is his first World Championship reign as a face, so it will be interesting to see where Creative goes with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back