• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Early WWE: Breaking Point chatter

MikeKillam

Pre-Show Stalwart
I have always been a fan of the submission match when it has been used correctly in the WWE. After all, it's the closest to "real" wrestling as they are ever going to get. The problem I have with "Breaking Point" is that WWE never uses Submission matches any more. If they had one on a PPV for a good reason, I would love it, but why do I want to see 6 or 7 matches of submissions? Especially since a good portion of the roster can't wrestle that type of match.
But it's going to happen no matter how much I complain about it, so on to the early PPV chatter...what do you all think is going to end up happening?

For me, it's too early to talk matches. A lot depends on who walks away with titles this Sunday at Night of Champions.

But, there are a couple of things I think will definitely happen.
(1) WWE will realize really quickly, that not a lot of guys on their roster can wrestle that kind of match.
(2) We're going to get the same sort of matches, with a submission ending.
(3) John Cena will most likely win the WWE Title because after all, he does have the STFU.

I think it's far too early to be speculating on how this event, and the Hell in a Cell PPV, will work.

Everyone, so far, seems to think that EVERY match will be in the vain of this theme. My personal feelings are that maybe one or two matches will be Submisson/HIAC... not all.

Submission matches and HIAC matches are matches in which a great story has to be told and the history of these matches show us this. Some have been great. Others have been awful. Most of the time, whenever WWE has done these matches in the past, it has been big stars in the matches. I highly doubt Tommy Dreamer Vs Vladamir Koslov would be a great match in either environment. I doubt even Jack Swagger Vs MVP would be great and they're two of the best mid card talents.

I can't see seven submission matches in one night. It just wouldn't work. As I said, the mid card matches would be bad to watch and that wouldn't help the main eventers when it comes round to their turn as the fans would be bored and restless by that point.

Well, I don't know exactly what WWE has planned for the Breaking Point ppv, but we'll just have to wait and see. With that being said, let's make a list of the people in the WWE who has legit submission moves.

John Cena has the STFU.
Chris Jericho has the ''Walls of Jericho''. But, people barely tap out to it anymore.
The Undertaker has the Devil's Gate.
Michelle McCool has the MADT Brazilian Heel Hook, but I'm not sure if she still uses it.
Natalya has the Sharpshooter, not sure if she uses that either.
William Regal has the ''Regal Stretch'', but when the last time Regal's used it to end a match, let alone win.

Those are the only superstars with LEGIT submission moves. Although, there are several wrestlers that I think would really do good by adding a submission move to their arsenal and use it pretty predominantly. Big Show could go far by using the ''Colossal Clutch'' more effectively. Jamie Noble has a pretty effective moveset, but since going to Raw, WWE hasn't really let him show it off. I think Kofi Kingston would do great with some type of submission move. I would love to see Shawn Michaels use a submission move more often and not just win matches by using ''Sweet Chin Music''. Gail Kim could make lots of divas tap out with some submission move. Charlie Haas. C.M. Punk should really bring back the ''Anaconda Vice''. Edge started using the Edgecator in 2005, why not bring it back? Finlay could get some submission move to his moveset. Great Khali can bring back the ''Khali Vice Grip''. Paul Birchill and Sheamus. Even Shelton Benjamin?

So, if these superstars are the only ones who really have any type of prominant submission move, then this Breaking Point ppv will be a bust. So, I'd say that WWE should try to allow more submission wrestlers in their company. Especially if this will indeed be a yearly thing.

Yeah.This idea is fucking stupid.All submission matches.How many "superstars" actually use submissions?Like 6?Maybe 10?What will there be,5 matches like they do at the Rumble or No Way Out?And they do that because the Rumble and No Way out have the rumble which takes an hour,and the Elimination Chambers take about an hour combined.So Breaking Point will be incredibly stupid,incredibly ugly,or the BATMAN if all matches are submission.

i agree with what CJ The Pirate said. we can not judge the pay per views right now because we have no idea how its going to work. the main thing ive heard is only the main events will be submission and at hell in a cell only the main events will be submission matches. they can not make all the matches hiac or submission because most of the roster can not handle these type of mathces

If memory serves, all the matches are "submission" matches. Now surely, WWE could always remedy the lack of submission wrestlers by simply making some of the matches "I Quit." Jeff and Matt are by no means in ring technitions and I can't remember the last time I saw either of them do a submission, but I enjoyed their I Quit match at Backlash. In my mind if they do this, WWE can have some rather imaginitive endings of matches.

Ah lets see Point Break in my hometown at the BELL CENTER last time I was there was 11 years ago when Vince McMoron screwed Brett Hart and Bret signaled the crowd making WCW with his hands ah yes the anti canadian as many wrestling fans
I can tell you this for sure Jericho will lose whatever title he may have every Canadian wrestler always loses in Canadian Soil!! But as I was saying WWE is becoming much like UFC and he is getting serious folks let's hope he cleans his sport of wrestlin make it realistic otherwise fans of UFC and fighters will mock and ridicule this glorified soap opera we MARKS watch and waste our time with!

I hate the fact that everybody assumes mid carders can't put on a good submission match just because they don't have a submission finisher. Who gives a shit if its not their finish?.

I would put money on the mid card guys having the best matches on the card, all the guys in WWE that do have a submission finish make the moves look sloppy and painless anyway, the STFU is supposedly a facelock but Cena's hands usually don't even make contact with the opponents face and his wrists just lovingly caress their cheeks, the Devils gate also looks weak as piss because the Undertaker doesn't have the flexibility to properly utilise the technique, the walls of jericho has just been a basic boston crab for years now because management don't want him to injure anyone, the colossal clutch just plain sucks and anything else I've left out is because its forgettable, the only submission finish that actually looks painful is the regal stretch.

Im actually looking forward to seeing this PPV just for the fact that we might finally get to see some of the new guys showcase their mat wrestling talent and this kind of environment would be perfect for guys like Tyson Kidd to show what he can do.
Anyone agree?

I'm not saying this is the way to go for EVERY match... but this would be the perfect time to actually debut a new submission or two on a wrestler who doesn't currently utilize one. IE the poster who mentioned Tyson Kidd. So Hart Dynasty are wrestling Legacy for the tag titles... it's a submission match... the Million Dollar Dream is slapped on by Dibiase... "IT'S VINTAGE DIBIASE! SHADES OF HIS FATHER!" But Kidd doesn't tap... just like Bret, he slides out, weasels his way out and slaps on the sharpshooter, tap out, new champs.

Now that's an easy one because we're all figuring that's the move anyway. But for someone like Kofi vs Miz, for example, we would see a new move added to their arsenal out of nowhere, and it could be used to put them over fast, similar to Hells Gate. Say Miz slaps on a submission that looks incredibly painful, Kofi taps instantly. Now Miz looks even more dangerous in his next few matches because "it can be applied out of nowhere".

You have to remember that the WWE is doing this from a pure marketing perspective. The last time Montreal hosted a PPV was in 1997 where the "Montreal Screwjob" took place which ended in a submission.
Can't you see it coming? Somehow, Vince/Shawn Michaels will be involved in the main event, either participating or interfering, costing a crowd favorite a match. It's beautiful, and it would so work.

You have to remember that the WWE is doing this from a pure marketing perspective. The last time Montreal hosted a PPV was in 1997 where the "Montreal Screwjob" took place which ended in a submission.

Actually, the last time a PPV was held in Montreal was No Way Out in (i think) 2004. Main Event was Hogan vs. Rock II... and the ending came in as a Montreal Screw Job 2, with Mcmahon and Sylvain Grenier debuting as a referee and screwing Hogan.

Yes, you are right... actually it was February 2003 that the WWE last had a PPV in Montreal, which is odd since they are advertising the event as "WWE's first PPV in Montreal in over a decade".
Still, I believe that it isn't a 'mistake' or clerical error that WWE is saying it's the first time they are returning to Montreal. For the fans that know about the screwjob, the Montreal incident is the first thing that pops into your head when you think "WWE's first PPV in Montreal in over a decade". Moreover, WWE now has the audience thinking 'screwjob' and then by putting the stipulation that all matches will have a submission ending, it only further increases the likelihood that there will be some sort of controversy in Montreal on September 13th. This will create hype = creates excitement = increases PPV buys = increases revenues = more money in Vince's pocket.

I think it would be a big mistake for the WWE NOT to create controversy at this PPV. I hope it involves the Hart Dynasty. This would catapault them into crowd favorites and elevate their status if they were to be 'screwed' with by Vince.

I don't think someone needs a submission move as a finisher to be able to put on a good submission match. Anyone can execute simple moves like a full nelson, back breaker, camel clutch, or any number of arm bars and leg locks. This adds another whole element of psychology to a match.

With that said I don't think this ppv is a good idea. It's not because I don't think the wrestlers can put on good matches. Specialty matches are good on a limited basis. A whole night is overkill. What if they want to do a submisssion match for Armageddon? It won't have the same affect if we just got a whole night of them three months prior.

WWE is becoming much like UFC and he is getting serious folks let's hope he cleans his sport of wrestlin make it realistic otherwise fans of UFC and fighters will mock and ridicule this glorified soap opera we MARKS watch and waste our time with!

Personally I couldn't care less what UFC fans and fighters think. To each his own, but I can come plenty reasons why I think WWE is far superior to UFC. They really shouldn't even be compared because they are not the same product.

The last time Montreal hosted a PPV was in 1997 where the "Montreal Screwjob" took place which ended in a submission.

Actually thev had No Way Out back in 03...I know this becaus eth enext nite on Raw the Rock came out and said how he was booed and gave my fav speech yet that ended....Best thing to happen to Canada because the maple Leafs Suck...meanwhile Im sittin in the crowd proudly sporting my leafs jersey and the crowd was crazy. it was amazing

just hearing about this gimmick ppv just makes me wanna bang my head on a wall. :banghead: lol no seriously, how many superstars in the wwe have a submission move tht isnt the occasional headlock? not enuff for a ppv thts how many :suspic: . Most likely the wwe will change the ppv gimmick to a normal ppv cuz i dont c this happening. Ever. submission is a loss cost in the wwe. if it isnt a finisher i dont really recall any1 tapping to the ocasional leg lock. if were talkin abt just the M.E matches being held in submission rules, then maybe it cud work out but if this happens its just going to be a failure

Hmm I don't see to many spots in this PPV for guys like Mysterio, Bourne, Kofi, Christian, etc. Although I remember once in a TNA main event Christian made Judas Mesias (if your wondering he works for AAA again) tap out with the Sharpshooter. I can't ever re-call the last time Mysterio ever won a match with a submission! And all the current cruisers the WWE has right now! They all need to develop submission holds in time for the PPV. Especially the main event ones like Mysterio and Hardy (if he indeed has re-signed). And since the wwe has fucking killed all of the credibility the agonizing, and pain ful submission hold Walls of Jericho, why not bring back the Lion Heart! And have Jericho use the Lion Tamer instead! All in all, I really dont care about the wrestling! To be honest I just wanna see how the PPV goes down. They first time they announed the all submission thing was announced, the only thing on my mind was THE MONTREAL SCREWJOB! I just hope Shawn Michaels shows up lol. I wanna see were they go with this. Hopefully a lot conspiracy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back