• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DX vs. McMahons: One of the All-Time Great Feuds?

Frogsplsh38

The Best in the World at What I Do
I am making this thread because I just finished watching the New and Improved DX DVD and it made me nostalgic because I realized their feud with the McMahons could be one of the greatest feuds and story lines of all time. It all starts with the buildup to it. The teasing of a DX reunion had been going on for awhile with both Triple H and Shawn Michaels doing the "DX chop" occasionally so everyone wondered if it could happen. Both Triple H and HBK were having problems with Vince. Shawn was going through the whole God angle and they had their Wrestlemania match and then early in the summer Triple H and Vince started a feud. Then, the Spirit Squad comes in. Now, I'll admit that they were awful but they were used well as Vince's henchmen. When I was watching this at the time, I thought it was a little strange that Vince was sending the Spirit Squad after Shawn AND Triple H. SOMETHING had to come out of this. My hopes kinda got taken away after they "took out" Shawn with the chair attack on his leg but I was actually legitimately surprised by what happened 3 weeks later. Because Vince made the Gauntlet Match where Triple H would face all of the members of the Spirit Squad and as they were beating up Triple H, with one Spirit Squad member to go, Mitch of the Squad was tossed out of the entrance way and the crowd knew who did it. HBK came out and shocked everyone, myself included. HBK then stormed the ring and he and Trips beat up the Spirit Squad and seemingly reunited as DX. The very next week we saw the official DX reunion. The buildup was fantastic but the execution was even better. The pranks they pulled, the jokes the made and the classic DX antics just made it a blast from the past. "Vince loves cocks", all of the jokes about Triple H's endowment, Shawn blindfolding himself or leaving because Triple H "saw" Mr. Fuji, and maybe the greatest comedy bit I've ever seen in WWE: DX impersonating the McMahons. All of this just made for a great feud. Putting all of the jokes aside, they actually had some very good matches. The Saturday Nights Main Event handicap elimination match with DX vs. the Spirit Squad was actually very good and the Hell in a Cell at Unforgiven between DX and Vince and Shane McMahon and the Big Show had an awesome finish. I just think this feud was an amazing way to spend the summer in the WWE and will go down, in my opinion, as one of the most entertaining and best feuds of all time. I don't know if I'm crazy or not for thinking this but I'd love to know your thoughts

I don't know about all-time great, but it was good feud.

The slow burn to the DX reunion was great. I remember the crowd exploding at Wrestlemania when Shawn and HHH made the chop during their matches.

I always thought the match at Backlash was pretty weird. Vince and Shane beat Shawn Michaels and God. Kinda surprised me at the time that someone as religious as Shawn Michaels would let God be dragged into a wrestling angle (and also lose).

Just for a DX reunion, yeah that part was great, but the SS ruined it IMHO. I would say you go to the next feud. The one between DX and Rated RKO. My only gripe about this angle is that it got shelved when HHH got injured, because I believe THAT feud was on its way to being something special.

This is one of my personal top 3 feuds.
I loved every bit of it.
The mocking Vince and Shane, The poop being dropped of everyone, the Hell In A Cell Match against VKM,Shane-o, and Big Show, the jokes, the time when Vince beat HHH and HBK into a bloody pulp (this was the last time i remember this much blood, but im probibly wrong.)
This feud was right before the whold PG era, and it holds on of them top spots for me.

It hurt my eyes every minute I watched out of that feud. Basically what it would boil down to as two middle-aged men fighting against a billionaire, non-wrestler, and five male cheerleaders who couldn't get the upper hand even if they tried. The matches were mediocre to terrible and the comedy was of the same vein. I continue to pull a Chris Benoit and try to delete this feud from my WWE memory.

I continue to pull a Chris Benoit and try to delete this feud from my WWE memory.

That's a little much dude.

DX moments were one of my favorite of WWE back in the day. Especially with HHH, Chyna, X-Pac, and the New Age Outlaws. I loved the dx theme music, entrance, and the HHH let's get ready to suck it spill.

My favorite DX moment was when they impersonated Vince and Shane. HBK was hilarious dancing around the ring like Shane.

2006 is Nostalgia? But no the feud sucked. You had two 40 year olds making penis jokes to a 60 year old, and just a lot of squashes to the Spirit Squad.

Nothing special happened there. Though the Hell in a Cell match wasn't bad.

Odd out of all the memories of DX to choose from, THIS is the one that stands out to you. I admit, the build was great. Starting with both doing the chop at Mania. HBK's return, and even the parody of McMahons. That was great. And who can forget about "I JUST KICKED STAN!" Problem is, thats all that was great. The bit where they took over the control area, and messed with audio/video was lame. The hidden camera where Vinny pisses on Coach in the bathroom. All of it was terrible and was Cena level with his poop jokes.

And of course the burrying of an entire stable and tag team division. Im not one to complain about 'burrying talent.' But DX defeated Spirit Squad on a weekly basis without even breaking a sweat. They also ran through tag team gauntlets.

And what was their obsession with showing theirs and every other mans bare ass?

I haven't been a huge WWE fan for years but I would watch occasionally over the past decade. There was a period of a few months when I watched regularly and that was during the DX vs McMahon feud. I would have to say that it was my favourite feud of the past decade between WWE regulars. Definitely one of the most memorable. It wasn't better than The Rock coming back to face Cena, or the short Michaels/Hogan feud, or Hogan and the NWO coming back to take on WWE. But this is the one feud i can remember that almost got be hooked me back on watching WWE regularly. Similar to the Punk vs Cena vs Nash angle of late summer. That angle almost hooked me back. What was great about DX vs McMahon feud is that it was comedic, something severely lacking today in the WWE product. I always enjoy when Shane comes back because he does what a lot of WWE regulars today don't: entertain. Triple H is married to Steph so it was interesting to see him up against his father and brother in law.

Dolph Ziggler was in the spirit squad. If only HBK was still wrestling. That would be feud i would love to see, almost like passing the torch to Ziggler.

This feud was very enjoyable. I loved DX so it didn't really matter who they feuded with, i was going to enjoy it. The promos were funny and the matches were entertaining. That is what great feuds should be about.

Even though I thought the parody of Vince and Shane was hysterical, I have not really been a fan of the DX reunions. It's just wrong to see two guys that old acting that juvenile. It only got worse when they got back together in 2009 - and they had Hornswoggle with them. The only good thing from that incarnation was when HHH pedigreed that damn midget!

I just thought it was one of the last great feuds of the pre-PG era and the last great Vince McMahon feud. I love seeing whoever vs. the boss. We saw too many weird Vince McMahon story lines and even after this, we saw weird feuds. Vince's feuds in the Attitude Era were great, I loved them, but later on we got Vince vs. Stephanie, the whole "Vince has gone crazy and his limo just blew up", and after DX we had Vince vs. Trump, the godawful Vince's illegitimate son, Vince as ECW Champion and Vince vs. Bret Hart who had a really bad Wrestlemania match. So I think this was Vince's last truly great long running feud. I will remember DX impersonating him and Shane for the rest of my life, I was laughing so hard and I still laugh. I loved how they kept bringing back the "Stand Back" performance from the Slammys and I was just very much entertained for the whole summer. And DX even went on to have a great feud with Rated RKO that ended too early but that's for another time.

So, I may sound lame or dumb for thinking this feud was great but I just love Degeneration-X, they are one of, if not THE best, factions in WWE history. So I understand if people think I'm going a little overboard but it was just the last great feud before WWE went PG in my opinion

All time great feud ? Better than Hogan-Savage, better than HBK-Hart, Flair-Rhodes, Austin-Rock, I could go on !

This 2006 feud was basically an excuse to turn HHH face and capitalize on some nostalgia. As far as The Spirit Suad goes, their whole purpose was to be jobbers, comedy jobbers but losers none the less. McMahon was never going to win this feud and The Spirit Squad were created to take the brunt of that.

The comedy aspects were lame, worse yet when you consider they were done by two 45 yr old men, as has been often pointed out.

If anything I was afraid this might go on forever when the Suad tried to eliminate Flair to get back in Vince's good graces. Thankfully that ended quickly when Flair beat the entire squad himself at Survivor Series then teamed with DX to beat them again on RAW, this time mailing them back to Vince's house.

Yes, while I respect the work of many of the participants, this feud, with two 45 yr old juvenile delinquents teaming with a 60yr old ageing womanizer to battle a group of sissified male cheerleaders and an even older 60 plus yr old non wrestler, not my idea of a great feud.

Um, no. I didn't even think it was a good feud nevermind great. It was a bunch of middle school humor and bad wrestling matches. The payoff was Vince's head in Bigshows butt. When I think great feuds this one would have never even crossed my mind. And for good reason.

As Little Jerry Lawler said, the whole DX vs McMahon feud was awful apart from a few exceptions.

The ORIGINAL D-X were cool, cutting edge and entertaining, but the reunited or (new and improved?!) D-X were cringeworthy. HHH and Shawn were in their 40's making cock jokes to a 60 year old billionaire and beating up male cheerleaders. It was just awful, and the complete opposite of the original De-Generates.

I enjoyed the HIAC match, the imitation of the McMahon's was quite funny, but apart from that I can't really think of too many highlights. With Shawn's religion stopping him from doing alot of the stuff he used to in the original D-X, the whole reunion felt very limited. A one or 2 night thing would have been fine, but a summer of D-X was far too much.

And the "Vince Loves Cock" T-Shirt was THE WORST piece of WWE merchandise ever, it should never have been made. Who the HELL bought that?!

It hurt my eyes every minute I watched out of that feud. Basically what it would boil down to as two middle-aged men fighting against a billionaire, non-wrestler, and five male cheerleaders who couldn't get the upper hand even if they tried. The matches were mediocre to terrible and the comedy was of the same vein. I continue to pull a Chris Benoit and try to delete this feud from my WWE memory.

Yeah by that point it became plain as day HBK and Triple H had pretty much outgrown the gimmick. You also knew perfectly well HBK in full on Born Again Christian mode wasn't gonna do any of the raunchy stuff DX was famous for. And really Vince loves roosters? Hur hur hur dat's a good `un, if you're 5.

One of the great all-time feuds??? More like one of the worst all-time feuds. DX became too corny. Their feud with Vince and Spirit Squad was one of the main reasons why 2006 was a crappy year.

Rated RKO forming was great. Their feud with DX was very good. But other than that DX was horrible in 2006. They couldn't recapture what they had during the Attitude Era.

No. For multiple reasons.

First and foremost, DX never broke a sweat against the McMahons. At the end of the day, they're two of the best ever and they're fighting businessmen. Even with the Spirit Squad, DX regularly destroyed them with ease. Umaga and company worked for a little while until DX beat them up too. Big Show was somewhat helpful but multiple chair shots put him down. DX was never facing a real threat which is part of the reason it didn't work: there was no drama.

Second, the feud wasn't funny. It was the same few jokes over and over again, such as Vince Loves Cocks, HHH is married to what's her name, the cheerleaders are stupid, and male genitalia. What in there am I supposed to laugh at? What's cutting edge about these jokes?

Third, the feud went on FOREVER. It took four months and DX never lost a big match the whole time. We get it: DX is dominant over them and makes stupid jokes. Now what else do you have? There never was anything else though and the Cell match wasn't about would DX lose, but rather how would they win. That's boring most of the time and it was here.

It wasn't an interesting feud other than the first two weeks or so. I barely remember it so no, it's not an all time great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back