• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DON'T TALK TO ALIENS

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
Hawking said:
THE aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials are almost certain to exist — but that instead of seeking them out, humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.

The suggestions come in a new documentary series in which Hawking, one of the world’s leading scientists, will set out his latest thinking on some of the universe’s greatest mysteries.

Alien life, he will suggest, is almost certain to exist in many other parts of the universe: not just in planets, but perhaps in the centre of stars or even floating in interplanetary space.

Hawking’s logic on aliens is, for him, unusually simple. The universe, he points out, has 100 billion galaxies, each containing hundreds of millions of stars. In such a big place, Earth is unlikely to be the only planet where life has evolved.
Times Archive

* New light on black holes, 1976

* Exploding black holes, 1977

Related Links

* Oops, that was a bad call, Earth

* Hello... Are we alone in the Universe?

“To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational,” he said. “The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like.”

The answer, he suggests, is that most of it will be the equivalent of microbes or simple animals — the sort of life that has dominated Earth for most of its history.

One scene in his documentary for the Discovery Channel shows herds of two-legged herbivores browsing on an alien cliff-face where they are picked off by flying, yellow lizard-like predators. Another shows glowing fluorescent aquatic animals forming vast shoals in the oceans thought to underlie the thick ice coating Europa, one of the moons of Jupiter.

Such scenes are speculative, but Hawking uses them to lead on to a serious point: that a few life forms could be intelligent and pose a threat. Hawking believes that contact with such a species could be devastating for humanity.

He suggests that aliens might simply raid Earth for its resources and then move on: “We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach.”

He concludes that trying to make contact with alien races is “a little too risky”. He said: “If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.”

The completion of the documentary marks a triumph for Hawking, now 68, who is paralysed by motor neurone disease and has very limited powers of communication. The project took him and his producers three years, during which he insisted on rewriting large chunks of the script and checking the filming.

John Smithson, executive producer for Discovery, said: “He wanted to make a programme that was entertaining for a general audience as well as scientific and that’s a tough job, given the complexity of the ideas involved.”

Hawking has suggested the possibility of alien life before but his views have been clarified by a series of scientific breakthroughs, such as the discovery, since 1995, of more than 450 planets orbiting distant stars, showing that planets are a common phenomenon.

So far, all the new planets found have been far larger than Earth, but only because the telescopes used to detect them are not sensitive enough to detect Earth-sized bodies at such distances.

Another breakthrough is the discovery that life on Earth has proven able to colonise its most extreme environments. If life can survive and evolve there, scientists reason, then perhaps nowhere is out of bounds.

Hawking’s belief in aliens places him in good scientific company. In his recent Wonders of the Solar System BBC series, Professor Brian Cox backed the idea, too, suggesting Mars, Europa and Titan, a moon of Saturn, as likely places to look.

Similarly, Lord Rees, the astronomer royal, warned in a lecture earlier this year that aliens might prove to be beyond human understanding.

“I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we can’t conceive,” he said. “Just as a chimpanzee can’t understand quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are beyond the capacity of our brains.”

Thoughts

You're the guy that posted John Lennon in drag.

You can't laugh.

How's it laughable? How is one of the smartest brains alive using logic to say that laughable?

MR I SEE VISIONS WEN I MEDITATE LULZ

Because he's saying to stay away from them. That's why its laughable.

Edit: And Lee please knock it off. I don't mock your beliefs do I? Why should you be allowed to mock me meditating?

Way to change it around you knob, do you ever stick with the same opinion for more than three posts? YOu wonder why people take the piss so much.

Because he's saying to stay away from them. That's why its laughable.

If they managed to come to earth, that would be a warning sign because it would mean they are infinitely more technologically advanced than us as we've never even come close to landing on another planet.

So would it be worth coming in contact with aliens even though we'd know that could destroy us all easily if they felt like it? Would you walk right up to a wild tiger and attempt to communicate with it for the slight chance that it wouldn't rip your head off in seconds?

:disappointed:

What if Crashin was president?

How is what he's saying laughable? Most people have issues believing in life outside this planet because of their archaic belief they've been made in the creator's image. Since such a belief has gone on so long, anything to do with ET's is just seen as moronic, but if humanity is to continue to grow and to mature we have to think the possibility of beings other then ourselves and that they will be more advanced (obviously if their coming to our planet) and possibly aggressive. Everything he says is believable and well reasoned advice.

Why don't you fuck off? FInd me one person on this forum that

A) Likes you

B) Thinks you bring ANYTHING ANYWHERE what you going to do rp us to death? Oooh look a shiny thing....oh it's Just John lennon in drag.

FUCK YOU

Reactions: TLC
I know I'm gonna get in trouble for this but...... Fuck Off Lee. That was the first time I shared that opinion.

21j0hli.gif

here we go.

A) Likes you

B) Thinks you bring ANYTHING ANYWHERE what you going to do rp us to death? Oooh look a shiny thing....oh it's Just John lennon in drag.

FUCK YOU

And THERE you have it folks. The reason why I don't like having to defend myself. I get shit on for having an opinion that changes based on the facts that come in.

Edit: Why should we not make contact with extraterrestrials? What could they do that they probably would've done had we not made contact. Do we WANT to feel like we're alone in the universe?

If you read it it's perfectly logical. Of anyone on the forum, it's you Doug Crashin who has no right to laugh at him.

Edit: Why should we not make contact with extraterrestrials? What could they do that they probably would've done had we not made contact. Do we WANT to feel like we're alone in the universe?

If they managed to come to earth, that would be a warning sign because it would mean they are infinitely more technologically advanced than us as we've never even come close to landing on another planet.

So would it be worth coming in contact with aliens even though we'd know that could destroy us all easily if they felt like it? Would you walk right up to a wild tiger and attempt to communicate with it for the slight chance that it wouldn't rip your head off in seconds?

Add to that, if they knew we existed, they would most likely rape us for resources if it was for the survival of their race.

It's just logic, Crashin.

If Hollywood has taught us anything it's that the great human race shouldnt have too much trouble kicking Johnny Alien off of our planet.

I could show you articles and youtube vids that show that a lot of these so-called "aliens" you speak of want to help us evolve. Others don't. But then you'd laugh at me because you don't think that's possible. Or that I'm full of shit.

I could show you articles and youtube vids that show that a lot of these so-called "aliens" you speak of want to help us evolve. Others don't. But then you'd laugh at me because you don't think that's possible. Or that I'm full of shit.

No, we'd laugh at you because those youtube videos and articles are about as credible as your video of the guy "channelling" John Lenon. What Lee posted was as article from the smartest man on the planet.

Although his credibility is nothing compared to yours, Crashin.

A) Likes you

FUCK YOU

I'm curious, does Doug fluff the shit out of his posts when he RPs? It's hard to Godmod a promo, so....

Let's all try to disagree with the leading scientific mind of this generation, Stephen Hawking. Yeah, let's see how far that gets you.

Finally someone intelligent says what I have been saying for years. With all the galaxies that exist there is sure to be life on other planets. I often say that it is arrogant of us to believe that out of everything so far beyond out reaches, we could ever believe that there was nothing else out there whether we can see it and understand it or not. Figures, me and Steven Hawking thinking on the same plain.

Hawking said:
THE aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least according to Stephen Hawking.

Very alarmist.

Hawking said:
He has suggested that extraterrestrials are almost certain to exist — but that instead of seeking them out, humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.

I certainly agree with the first part. Given the size of the universe, there's vertually no chance of us being alone on the universe.

Hawking said:
The suggestions come in a new documentary series in which Hawking, one of the world’s leading scientists, will set out his latest thinking on some of the universe’s greatest mysteries.

Sounds interesting. I enjoyed the documentary series about atoms. didn't enjoy the quantum theory behind it, but that's personal prejudice.

Hawking said:
Alien life, he will suggest, is almost certain to exist in many other parts of the universe: not just in planets, but perhaps in the centre of stars or even floating in interplanetary space.

I agree with him about alien life. I do however, sincerely doubt it could exist in a star, or floating in interplanetary space. unless it's on an asteroid/other celestial body where there are things to respire.

Hawking said:
Hawking’s logic on aliens is, for him, unusually simple. The universe, he points out, has 100 billion galaxies, each containing hundreds of millions of stars. In such a big place, Earth is unlikely to be the only planet where life has evolved.
Times Archive

That's the logic I'd use. Simple but effective. He's probably got a more mathematical reason for it, but he's able to put it in terms meer mortals can understand. He managed to write a book about the origins of the universe without quoting a single equation ffs. that's impressive.

Hawking said:
“To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational,” he said. “The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like.”

I'm with him here.

Hawking said:
The answer, he suggests, is that most of it will be the equivalent of microbes or simple animals — the sort of life that has dominated Earth for most of its history.

And here.

Hawking said:
One scene in his documentary for the Discovery Channel shows herds of two-legged herbivores browsing on an alien cliff-face where they are picked off by flying, yellow lizard-like predators.

Dramatic, albeit completely pointless. Seems like a scene designed to show the imaginatuion of artists and the size of the CGI budget.

Hawking said:
Another shows glowing fluorescent aquatic animals forming vast shoals in the oceans thought to underlie the thick ice coating Europa, one of the moons of Jupiter.

Slightly more relavent. Given that it's an actual possibility.

Hawking said:
Such scenes are speculative, but Hawking uses them to lead on to a serious point: that a few life forms could be intelligent and pose a threat.

Yep. Just look at humans when encountering a technologically inferior race.

Hawking said:
Hawking believes that contact with such a species could be devastating for humanity.

Human experience agrees with that.

Hawking said:
He suggests that aliens might simply raid Earth for its resources and then move on: “We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet.

Yep, we did that sort of thing a lot. No reason why aliens wouldnt do the same.

Hawking said:
I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach.

All makes sence. the ships would need to be massive to support a large number of aliens, food for the aliens, and any alien technology that's neccesary.

Hawking said:
He concludes that trying to make contact with alien races is “a little too risky”. He said: “If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.”

I'm in agreement with him here too. Lets face it, there's no reason for aliens to be any less vicious and cruel than us. And humanity's an evil, vicious creature

Hawking said:
Hawking has suggested the possibility of alien life before but his views have been clarified by a series of scientific breakthroughs, such as the discovery, since 1995, of more than 450 planets orbiting distant stars, showing that planets are a common phenomenon.

Yep, planets are common. Planets support life. there are a rediculously large number of stars (and therefore planets) in the universe, and therfore the chances of at least one planet containing life is very high indeed.

Hawking said:
So far, all the new planets found have been far larger than Earth, but only because the telescopes used to detect them are not sensitive enough to detect Earth-sized bodies at such distances.

That certainly makes sence.

Hawking said:
Another breakthrough is the discovery that life on Earth has proven able to colonise its most extreme environments. If life can survive and evolve there, scientists reason, then perhaps nowhere is out of bounds.

...Not great reasoning. But there's certainly no reason that life couldnt develop on other planets.

Hawking said:
Hawking’s belief in aliens places him in good scientific company. In his recent Wonders of the Solar System BBC series, Professor Brian Cox backed the idea, too, suggesting Mars, Europa and Titan, a moon of Saturn, as likely places to look.

All of those places would make good places to look. they're local and there's reason for life to exist there.

Hawking said:
Similarly, Lord Rees, the astronomer royal, warned in a lecture earlier this year that aliens might prove to be beyond human understanding.

If we meet them, they sure as heck are. Because god knows how they arrived.

Hawking said:
“I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we can’t conceive,” he said. “Just as a chimpanzee can’t understand quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are beyond the capacity of our brains.”

That also makes sence. Any aliens coming to earth would have to know things we didnt and would likely be so complex we would not be able to understand it for one hell of a long time. If ever.

And THERE you have it folks. The reason why I don't like having to defend myself. I get shit on for having an opinion that changes based on the facts that come in.

SERIOUSLY, AT THIS MOMENT I WISH I WAS BORN IN CHERNOBYL RESULTING IN A THIRD HAND SO I COULD GIVE THIS POST THREE THUMBS DOWN.

People don't shit on you because of your opinions, they shit on you because you say the most asinine things sometimes. Don't take the Game Rage route of saying everyone just gives fuck all about your opinion because it's not their own. It's how you say shit Doug.

And nobody needs to come in here and defend you, you're a grown fucking man and if your capable of acting and talking to people like you're a child, you're going to be treated like one. I like you, I really do. For fucks sake man, pull it together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back