• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Domestic football - spam version

Robin van Persie > every striker in the premier league

Wouldn't have RVP anywhere near my squad, let alone team. For Arsenal to have him leading their attack speaks volumes as to why they haven't won anything in years. The archetypal Dutch player - occasional flashes of brilliance but no real consistency and a tempermental "star" with delusions of his own grandeur.

Барбоса;3340613 said:
Wouldn't have RVP anywhere near my squad, let alone team. For Arsenal to have him leading their attack speaks volumes as to why they haven't won anything in years. The archetypal Dutch player - occasional flashes of brilliance but no real consistency and a tempermental "star" with delusions of his own grandeur.

To be fair I think the Goalkeeping situation at Arsenal has got more to do with there downfall then there Strikers, the Goalkeeper's alone cost them at least 10 points & the Carling Cup last season and yet it still hasen't been solved and they could of had Shay Given for £3.5million this summer but no

To be fair I think the Goalkeeping situation at Arsenal has got more to do with there downfall then there Strikers, the Goalkeeper's alone cost them at least 10 points & the Carling Cup last season and yet it still hasen't been solved and they could of had Shay Given for £3.5million this summer but no

While I agree that the goalkeeping and defensive situations have been problematic, Arsenal's biggest problem for about the last decade is not scoring when they are on top. How many times have they had 60-70% of the possession but nothing to show for it due to a lack of a killer instinct up front or a willingness to have a shot from distance? Although maybe that is more to do with Wenger's seeming determination to play attractive football regardless of whether it is actually winning football.

The new guy Gervinho (before he quite rightly got sent off) looked somewhat fiesty on the wing yesterday and crossed the ball in more times in the first half than Arsenal did in the entirety of last season and yet such is the way that Arsenal play RVP was standing waiting at the edge of the box rather than looking for a header in the six yard box. But don't worry, Wenger will soon drive such unattractive crosses out of him and he will soon be looking for a pass when on the bye line in an attempt to walk the ball into the net at every opportunity.

Leading goalscorers for 2011:
1. Robin van Persie (18 goals)
2. Wayne Rooney (11 goals)

Robin has been on fire, as of late. If it weren't for him, Arsenal would of finished fifth last season.

Wenger's stubbornness in playing RVP up front on his own astounds me. RVP is simply not cut out to play as the lone striker. Not strong enough or hard working and yet Wenger would not give guys like Eduardo and Chamakh any sort of chance at all, whilst persisting with playing Niclas Bendtner on the wing rather than as a central targetman.

Барбоса;3340613 said:

To be fair, I think injuries contribute a lot to his inconsistency. When he returned towards the end of last season he went on a decent run that made Arsenal hang about in the title race longer than perhaps they should have. He is a bit of a douche, no doubt, but he is a useful player who could benefit from having a consistent partner up front who isn't called Bendtner.

A Walcott-RVP team up-front could potentially be dynamite. Think about it, the main reason the invincibles were so invincible was because of the Henry-Bergkamp partnership. Bergkamp, the RVP of the invincibles was the one who would retrieve the ball and make goals happen. Meanwhile, Henry was the pacy, good finisher who waited fo the ball to be fed to him, in most cases ala Walcott. I mean surely, there is no harm in trying the system out. I'm not comparing Henry's talent to Walcott's but, it could work.

Van Persie is miles better than you're all making out (except the guy who said he was better than everyone else, who's also obviously wrong).

He's basically been a goal every two games striker for about 5 years now, which is better than just about everyone else. If he wasn't so injury prone Arsenal would have done much better. He can't be blamed for his backup being so shit. He'll probably score more than Torres this season.

Having just watched the Supercopa de Espana, and having seen David "Taibi" De Gea play for United this afternoon, I don't think we'll see the Champions League go anywhere but Spain.

Liverpool got off to an okay start. Nothing much to complain about. I was impressed with a few of Downing's runs off the wing, Henderson was disappointing. Suarez's penalty was abysmal but his goal made up for it. Charlie Adam was the star of the new signings, some lovely direct passes and a couple quality free kicks.

Must give props to Seb Larsson. Some fucking volley.

Having just watched the Supercopa de Espana, and having seen David "Taibi" De Gea play for United this afternoon, I don't think we'll see the Champions League go anywhere but Spain.

Although we did spend a fair chunk on de Gea, wouldn't mind seeing what Lindegaard is capable of. Had a good pre-season from what I saw and may not have the same pressure on his shoulders as David.

Any idea why the Spanish love their two legged domestic cup games by the way?

Remember when the champions league was just champions?

Although we did spend a fair chunk on de Gea, wouldn't mind seeing what Lindegaard is capable of. Had a good pre-season from what I saw and may not have the same pressure on his shoulders as David.

Very bad for a keeper's morale to drop him. If they drop De Gea now, they'll probably knock his confidence quite severely, which isn't good for someone you've invested that much in. Lindegaard is probably a safe option but he's not world class, and I think they're hoping De Gea will be.

Any idea why the Spanish love their two legged domestic cup games by the way?

No national stadium, partizan crowds make playing at home more important.

I mean, he is only 20. And it's not like there's no other goalkeeper in the world that's had a fairly big cock up.

No, but I've seen him concede 3 goals that a decent keeper (by which I mean someone like Mark Schwarzer or better) would have prevented. He almost spilled one in the last minute today too. Young goalkeepers are shite. This is a fact of football, their experience comes from errors. The only goalkeeper close in age to him in the premier league conceded a soft goal in the Carling Cup final earlier this season. Iker Casillas is pretty much the only goalkeeper to have been good in a good team under the age of 22 for about 20 years, and he's probably the best keeper in the world at the moment. It just doesn't happen for other people.

Doubt it..

Torres' current form - 1 goal in 19 games
Van Persie's current form - 14 goals in 19 games

I think it's heading for London :)

Possible, but the squad isn't very deep and Chelsea don't currently have a single player outside of Ashley Cole and possibly David Luiz that would get in either Madrid or Barcelona's first team.

Remember when the champions league was just champions?

To be fair, the last team to win the CL who weren't champions of their domestic league were AC Milan V Liverpool in 2007.

Also, as it tends to be a small number of clubs who win their domestic league, it would further increase the financial gap between domestic clubs.

I'd argue beating, say, Real Madrid and Chelsea, made you a better team than if you beat, say, Rangers and Dacia Chisinau.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back