The best sporting stadiums

OIL

Championship Contender
807_05_8761---Manchester-United-Old-Trafford-football-ground-_web.jpg

800px-Old_Trafford_inside_20060726_1.jpg

Ok, so here's basically a thread to tell us about the best sporting stadiums. It can be due to various reasons from size, to location to atmosphere.

I'm starting off with Old Trafford located in Manchester, England. It is home to Manchester United Football Club, arguably the greatest football club in the world. It boasts a capacity of 76,000 which is the 2nd biggest in England at the moment. Due to undergo expansion in the future, increasing the size to 96,000 this stadium is amazing. I'm putting it in the list due to it's atmosphere. On a night when the fans are needed, the fans are there. Screaming their heads off. The atmosphere that this stadium can conjure up is something that is hard to match, bar a few places such as Anfield on a European night.

Anyway, show us your best & why. Pictures would be nice too.

Reactions: RBH
I would say Petco Park in San Diego is awesome. I mean it has all the great things you can want in a ballpark. It has a nice family atmosphere, a great baseball atmosphere and great baseball commedities. I watched a Red Sox-Padres game and it was awesome as Red Sox fans took over the stadium. Hell we even started a Yankees Sucks chant and the yankees were not even playing.

Second best I could say is the Old Yankee Stadium. Even though Fenway is probably better, Old Yankee Stadium was awesome because of all the history and the Yankee fans were cool. Plus, I had good seats when I watched the Angels take on the Yankees.

Lastly, I think Angel Stadium of Anaheim. Say what you want about how Angels fans used to be but now when there is a game, they show up and they let everyone know what they think. Anytime there is a game between a team that we love and a team that we hate, we show up and tear the place apart.

Reactions: OIL
As a baseball fan I'd have to say PNC Park, and that isnt even being biased. They have a great view, no bad seats in the entire ball park. You can see the whole city from the stadium and it is beautiful at night. Too bad they can't field a winning team. The Stadium is night, the food is great, the scenery is great, and it is a good time.
pnc_park_view.jpg

Football - I love Raymond James Stadium for some reason, i think the ship in the background is great. It gives it a whole new feel. When the Girls stadium opens it will be the best, I hate the Girls with a passion but Jones and crew can design a Stadium like the best of em.

Hockey- Consol energy center... ;).. Wait that opens in 2010...

Im so jealous Brian, you guys have the newer refined stadiums. In LA and Anaheim, we have shitty land so there is no room to put any new stadiums. The only place to build a stadium would be a few miles north of LA. As for an arena, we still have Honda Center which is 14 years old so its not bad. Angel Stadium while it is great is 40 years old. But then again, Fenway is 97 years old in 3 weeks and that stadium is still the shit.

I love Fenway but when they added the seats on top of the monster it took away the old feeling of the Park.

I still love the Civic ( Mellon) Arena but it is old. It is in good shape for being nearly 40 years old but it is time for an upgrade. We have more fans so a higher seating capacity is a must. I am not a huge hockey fan so I cant comment on other Arenas but the look of Detroits Arena cracks me up with all those steps.

Another baseball mention is the field in which the D-Backs play on ( Chase Field?)... I love the line from the Mound to Home Plate and I love the pool in the outfield. Also the dimensions of the field crack me up, and I love the retractable roof.. Also Old Tiger Stadium was once nice...

I also loved Old Soldier Field, I don't know why, but it has always been a personal favorite of mine.

I am thinking of going to Chase Field this summer to watch an Angels-D-Backs. Where would be good seats where the sun cant totally kill me? I want to know because if I go, I want to come back. LOL. I have been calling it Bankone Ball park still heheh.

Dodger Stadium is supposedly a great park but I have been there four times and I just dont see it. Its on top of a frickin hill. Its diverted from the freeways and the people who work there are assholes. Plus, Dodgers fans suck anyways. But the only reason that park gets so much attention is because of the history....but unlike Old Yankee Stadium, it didnt have that much mystique and the fans are better in New York than LA.

madison-square-garden.jpg

How has no one mentioned Madison Square Garden?? Not only is it home to two of the most storied franchises in basketball and hockey, but it's hosted just about everything you can imagine.

It's got the best crowds, and can get insanely loud. I was there for WrestleMania X, and the crowd is what made that show. I've talked to people who were there for Game 7 of the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals, and they all said it was the greatest experience of their lives. I had friends there to see the Messiah get his number retired, and there wasn't a dry eye in the house. The Knicks suck, but the crowd is still into their games. Boxing matches always seem bigger in New York.

I can go on and on, but I can sum it up with this: There's a reason it's called the world's most famous arena.

These new stadiums are shit. Oval plasic pieces of shit. There was nothing wrong with the old football stadiums. They used to fit 50,000 into 25,000 capacity stadiums. Bring back standing areas. If a couple of people get crushed, so be it.

victoriaground1.jpg

This, and others like it are the best football stadiums.

I was never a fan of MSG, I went there once when I was younger and I thought it was just your average Arena. It is not known because it is nice looking. It is known because it is filled with a lot of history in different sports. It is where the Big East tourney is held, It held All Star games in the NBA, WNBA, and the NHL. It's held Wm,Summer Slam, and I believe one or two Survivor Series events. The Garden is alright and it would just be another Arena if it wasn't in NYC.

An arena or stadium is only as good as the event that's inside it. Most of them look very similar from the outside, all of them look the same on the inside.

WembleyAerial_800x600.jpg

Wembley Stadium

Located in London, England. This stadium is one of the best in the world. It holds 90,000 people, and it's hard to be matched for atmosphere. It looks impressive, and there's something special about it. When a team has 85,000 of their fans cheering them on it spurs them on, which is what you get with this stadium. That, and the occasional booing of certain players. *cough* Frank Lampard *cough*

nou%20camp.jpg

img_8.jpg

Nou Camp

Located in Barcelona, Spain. This stadium is just, amazing. Holds well over 100,000 people. Known for it's aura and the fact that the fans can get insanely nuts when the mood strikes them. FC Barcelona play there; one of the best teams in the world. It's a huge pitch compared to others, and it's home to a lot of famous moments. It looks huge, because it is. Really does put a lot of other stadiums to shame.

My vote would be for Wrigley Field in Chicago. However aside from a few football games, the New Year's day Hockey game and occasional summer concerts no other events have taken place there. I can imagine a WM being held at beautiful Wrigley Field that would be awesome.

Mr. Wrestlemania

I have to disagree about Wembley. It is just a glorified version of the Millennium Stadium with an arch. Someone earlier was right, modern stadiums look too similar. I preferred the old Wembley. Sure it was a mess in it's latter days, but it was instantly recogniseable. This one does not have the same aura about it. And Frank Lampard is an unbelievable player, no matter how much I hate Chelsea.

However, you picked the Nou Camp in your other post so I will let you off. It is truely magnificent. There is no where like it. It is so steep, and the roofless top makes it stand out from others. Your hairs would stand on end just going to watch a game there. Awe inspiring place.

However, surely the best has to be the Collisseum? The first mega stadium, and still stands today. Oh, you meant still used ones? Nou Camp then.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm a homer, I'll go with Fenway. Its kinda the last holy grail of Stadiums, its the oldest one in the US at almost 100. So many have been built and destroyed since then, including Yankee Stadium. I dont care about the modifications, thats whats keeping it as is. To know that when I sit down, that someone sat in that same seat and saw Babe Ruth before he went to Yankees and a guy like Ted Williams, its amazing.

Looking at each sport

Football: University of Phoenix Stadium is absolutely ridiculous. The place was very well put together. Bad memories from the Eagles losing there but I cant gyp the actually stadium

Baseball: PNC Park is probably the best I've been to, but I'll throw in Minute Maid or w/e they call it now. Most innovative stadium I've ever seen.. train tracks, hill in CF + the retractable roof and short porch. Great complex.

Other/Misc.: Staples Center: Beautiful complex. Everything done there looks good.

I'm putting it in the list due to it's atmosphere. On a night when the fans are needed, the fans are there. Screaming their heads off. The atmosphere that this stadium can conjure up is something that is hard to match, bar a few places such as Anfield on a European night.

Wow when thefans are needed? Lets pop along to another stadium, which has a great atmosphere by a club that's one nothing in 40 years...

newcast10.jpg

St James' Park...not as big as Anfield, Old Trafford or Wembley, but by heck does it get the atmosphere. There's one thing that always strikes visitors to the toon and that's how close the stadium is to the centre, the fact is it IS the centre of the town. It seats 52K and is a good mix of being a modern stadium yet is one of the oldest in the UK (1892). Has also hosted concerts by The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Queen, Bob Dylan, Bryan Adams and Rod Stewart.

Mr. Wrestlemania

I have to disagree about Wembley. It is just a glorified version of the Millennium Stadium with an arch. Someone earlier was right, modern stadiums look too similar. I preferred the old Wembley. Sure it was a mess in it's latter days, but it was instantly recogniseable. This one does not have the same aura about it. And Frank Lampard is an unbelievable player, no matter how much I hate Chelsea.

Well most of the modern stadiums are similar, but Wembley beats the Millennium Stadium hands down. For one, it's bigger. Secondly, it looks more impressive. Maybe it's just the shape, either way I preffer the look. But I do agree, the old Wembley had character; something which the new one is lacking. There was just something about it, playing there was something special. Frank Lampard, is a pile of crap. He had the most shots at the World Cup and did he score? No. For someone of his apparent quality, he's been shit since then. He plays well for Chelsea at times, but other than that, he's awful. Anyway, let's not get off topic here.

Back on topic then. The Millienium Stadium is better than Wembley. Smaller? Who gives a shit. You only take up one space, and it's not like there aren't empty seats at Wembley. Wembley has no character. Unless it's suddenly got some since I saw Kiddy Harriers there two years ago.

The Millenium Stadium is better or at least was when England played there. London isn't the central hub of the country. It's too far and too expenside for most people to go to Wembley. Unlike the Millenium Stadium which is almost central and considerably cheaper to visit.

I preffer Wembley to be honest. I mean, give it the same amount of time that the Millennium one has been open and it would have more character. What is the Millennium stadium used for now? Not even the Carling Cup. No-one worthy of mention uses it, so obviously Wembley has something better to offer. Although, that could just be down to the fact that it's Wembley..

I preffer Wembley to be honest. I mean, give it the same amount of time that the Millennium one has been open and it would have more character. What is the Millennium stadium used for now? Not even the Carling Cup. No-one worthy of mention uses it, so obviously Wembley has something better to offer. Although, that could just be down to the fact that it's Wembley..

Or the fact Wembley is in England, and the Millennium Stadium is in Wales so the English FA have no need to move their finals to a different country. Cardiff was a temporary home, it always was.

As for the argument between the two, they are essentially the same stadium, just Wembley has 10,000 more seats. Wembley also has a history to it, although this new place has nothing to do with the old one except it is in the same place. No more "twin towers as we march up Wembley way". It is now just the biggest stadium in the country to host the finals (and stupidy the semi finals).

That's why Old Trafford, San Siro, Bernabeu and the Nou Camp will always be the best stadiums, due to the history and aura about the stadiums.

Lambeau Field In Green Bay Wis. I've been there 2 times for games and it is great. I took the stadium tour and got to walk down the tunnel the Packer players use and got a chill walking out to the field.

Angels Stadium is also very good, GO ANGELS.

Anywhere soccer is played is a dump and should be torn down, soccer isn't a sport.

Anywhere soccer is played is a dump and should be torn down, soccer isn't a sport.

pix_wembley.jpg

First, it's FOOTBALL. Second, you're right. Football is played in dumps. I mean, look at that stadium above. Looks like a place where kids should be playing, not professional athletes. Wembley is huge, but you're right, it's a dump. We may aswell tear this down, look at it. Awful. Oh, yeah football isn't a sport? What the fuck is then?

For Baseball I've had the priveledge of going to alot of different baseball parks, since I'm a huge baseball fan it is a little hobby of mine. I've been to Kaufman Stadium in KC, PNC Park in Pittsburgh, Jacobs Field in Cleveland, Turner Field in Atlanta, Great American Ballpark in Cincinnatti, Yankee Stadium(Only got to walk around didn't actually see a game) and Shea Stadium in NY, Wrigley and Cellular field in Chicago, Fenway Park in Boston, Skydome in Toronto and living in Detroit I of course been to the Old Tiger Stadium and Comerica Park. And without a doubt the nicest out of those has been PNC Park in Pittsburgh. That is just a beautiful park, the only thing that it is lacking is the atmosphere cause the Pirates suck but if they ever get good it would be a great place to watch a playoff game. Out of the parks I haven't been to I think Minute Maid Park in Houston looks sweet and I always liked the looks of The Ballpark in Arlington where the Rangers played.

For basketball, football and hockey I've only been to Detroit area arenas and the United Center in Chicago so I don't have much to choose from. The Palace of Auburn Hills is a great venue and way ahead of it's time and Ford Field is a great venue as well but the Silverdome was a dump and so is Joe Louis Arena and Cobo Arena. Judging by pictures though I think Conseco Fieldhouse in Indy where the Pacers play looks really nice and hopefully I'll get a chance to go there one day.

So from my personal experience PNC Park in Pittsburgh is the nicest stadium and judging by the looks of other baseball parks I would say it's the nicest out of every park. If you're talking best though for history and atmosphere then Yankee Stadium has to win hands down, there is just so many memorable moments and so much history in that park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back