Does Katie Lea have the potential to make it big in the Women's Division?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole13Edge/HardyFan

Future Diva, Womans and Divas champ
We all know that Paul Burchill lost on ECW which means him and his sister are gone from ECW and are heading to RAW. This thread is about Katie Lea and her future in the WWE. I think she could be a contender for the divas title does anyone remeber her fued with Mickie last year. She is good on the mic and decent in the ring. She is #1 contedership material she is way better than the other divas on Raw. She can be a champion also she doesn't dress or act like the rest of them which is good champions always seem different from everyone else and that is why they are champions. All she needs to do know is get away from her brother Paul. So what do you guys think do you guys think she would make a good champion or not? Do you guys think that Vince would even let her bee a champion?

Honestly, I think it's far too early to tell. She's always been a manager first and a wrestler second, so we've never really seen what she can do in a one on one match up with plenty of time. She's been in a few tag matches, but she never really did anything special, so we can't take much from those.

But she has a good look, so I think with a bit of build up, a few good victories, and a chance to show her potential talent, she could challenge for the women's title eventually.

She has been so completely buried in the past I don't see any reason to think that's going to change, especially not on RAW. She also doesn't have the look that Vince likes, she's not blonde, not terribly slim, has a strong jaw and if those things weren't enough of a handicap, she's English. The girl has no chance and my heart sunk when I read they were going to RAW and not Smackdown.

If there's one Diva on the WWE roster that should be a TNA Knockout, it would be Katie Lea. Katie Lea is not the type of Diva Vince goes for. She's a great wrestler, and a quality promo when given the chance to speak. But she does have a strong jaw, and isn't exactly feminine. She has some tomboyish qualities, which are a bad thing to Vince.

So as far as making it in the WWE's Women's Division? NO. Not a chance. In TNA? Possibly.

But I can also say that the only criteria to be a Women's champion is to appeal to a certain demographic. Michelle McCool appeals to the Undertaker and Melina appeals to the latino/latina demographic. Girls like Katie Lea and Mickie James appeal to no one in Vince's eyes. That's why they're being buried. Katie Lea's also been a valet since day one and was never seen as a credible wrestler during her time in the WWE. In OVW, she was a great wrestler and feuded with Beth Phoenix before her debut. So she can wrestle, just not in the WWE.

Reactions: gd
It seems that potential doesn't mean as much to the WWE, as it used to. If it was based purely on talent, then Katie Lea would be at the top of the Womens Division (with Mickie James, Beth Pheonix, Natalya, and Melina). However, it doesn't seem that WWE will go that direction. There are other divas on the Raw roster, and the only one that I think is close to Katie Lea, as far as title contenders go, it'd be Maryse. If Alicia Fox doesn't continue to chase the Divas Championship, then it's up to WWE to choose who will re-debut first... Maryse or Katie Lea.

In my opinion, I feel like she has the potential to be the next Divas/Womens champion. But, I think that she should shed away whatever type of outfit/costume w/e she is wearing. Right now she kind of reminds me of Ariel, because she looks like a Vampiress. I used to think she was easily one of the hottest divas on the brands, but now, she has been dressing way different, and now I just don't care to watch her anymore.

Anyways, quick question. When was the last time she had a match in the ring against a good competitor?

In my opinion, I feel like she has the potential to be the next Divas/Womens champion. But, I think that she should shed away whatever type of outfit/costume w/e she is wearing. Right now she kind of reminds me of Ariel, because she looks like a Vampiress. I used to think she was easily one of the hottest divas on the brands, but now, she has been dressing way different, and now I just don't care to watch her anymore.

Anyways, quick question. When was the last time she had a match in the ring against a good competitor?

Vampire look is all the rage these days though. Honestly, I think she is a very pretty woman in the first place, even with some of the tomboyish tendencies she has. While I think she is deserving and very well could perform well on the Raw scene, I just doubt anything would come of it anyway, short of say random battle royal for number 1 contender. Hopefully they are smart enough to get the strap to Maryse when she comes back though. Toss in the Miz being a champion now and we could have gold waiting to happen!

well, katie lea has always managered her brother. She faced bri bella and was beaten badly. She was beaten so badly by so many easy weak ppl. She is not somebody who can make it in the big shots like Melina or them.

Honestly, I think it's far too early to tell. She's always been a manager first and a wrestler second, so we've never really seen what she can do in a one on one match up with plenty of time. She's been in a few tag matches, but she never really did anything special, so we can't take much from those.

But she has a good look, so I think with a bit of build up, a few good victories, and a chance to show her potential talent, she could challenge for the women's title eventually.

Well, first of all, Blade ... Katie Lea has never been referred to as a manager, so I'm not quite sure where that reference came from. Best I can see, she is playing a valet role like all Divas do. Last official manager we had that was actually referred to as such was Daivari for Mohammad Hassan.

Hope that works better for you. I told you my comments were going to get in there one way or another, so we can play the game any way you want, my friend. :)

Now, as far as Katie Lea's potential to make it big in the Women's Division ... I think she has absolutely huge potential. In today's wrestling world where it's difficult to get over as a wrestler .... and even more difficult to get over as a Diva, since WWE does not allow wrestlers to get over on the mic, and gives even less time (if any) to Divas to actually get over on the mic .... she has the snobbish British accent and snobby British character down pat.

Her personality alone is enough to get her heat with the crowd.

Combine that with the fact that she is actually a very good Women's wrestler, and the sky is the limit. She has looks. She has personality (that she fortunately has been able to hint at). And she has wrestling ability. She should have appeared on ECW first, instead of Raw ... to put in her time, so I'm not sure why that decision was made, but it was. But nonetheless, she went to ECW, put her time in there ... and now she is being moved back to Raw. And frankly, this is a better place for both Katie Lea as well as Paul, since Raw needs more Heel Divas, and needs more Heel midcarders, as well.

Not only is she fortunate enough to have a ch

... and now she is being moved back to Raw. And frankly, this is a better place for both Katie Lea as well as Paul, since Raw needs more Heel Divas, and needs more Heel midcarders, as well.

Ok, while I agree that RAW desperately needs more heel Divas, the only ones I can really think of are Jillian and Alicia ... the absolute last thing Raw needs is more midcard heels. Raw needs more midcard heels like the WWE needs Matt Strikers big words. Smackdown needs midcard heels. Raw has Miz, Swagger, Carlito, Sheamus, Rhodes, Dibiase, and on and on. The only face midcarders are Kofi, Evan Bourne,.....?. If the WWE was serious about Katie Lee, they would put her on Raw and move Burchill to Smackdown

As a wrestler, Katie Lea has the criteria already completed to be successful or make a good showing for herself in any Women's Division. She knows how to work matches and make people give a shit about female's in the ring, proven by her feud with Mickie James. She can hold her own in the ring possible commandeering matches, proven by her ECW stuff with the Bella Twins. She can cut good promo's and have a character aura around her, proven by her work as the valet of Paul Burchill. You can point out basically anything to what makes a good wrestler and Katie Lea has passed everything on the list to be deemed suitable...

But, the conditions in which she works in do not seem to aid her efforts. She has been given the task to be the kayfabe sister of Paul. The allocated TV time she has been given for most of her stint is alongside him as the girl in the corner. Let's look at what's wrong with that statement:

- Paul Burchill lacks the ability to gain significant responses from the crowd and has not got any significance in the drawing department.

- Valeting Paul all the time with Katie Lea's contract stipulating that she cannot wrestle outside the WWE (for which I guess) = she will gain ring rust, evident by another in a similar position like Jillian (and performances as of late)

- Combine the two top reasons: She has to help her brother get over as a good valet (manager, if you wish) should do and concentrate on Paul's character much more than her own.

Unfortunately, Vinnie Mac has no appreciation for girls who can wrestle well but instead uses girls who look good and feature them getting it on. It sickens me. He casts off great wrestlers like Natalya Neidhart and Katie Lea Burchill who could really be used in the division as active wrestlers into non-wresting roles. Before I derail my post... Katie Lea is a good women's wrestler who can make an impact on a show that clearly lacks Female Heels. Who else do you have on the roster as an active wrestler who can take that spot? Maryse is the only girl who comes to mind, but she is injured. Jillian has good skills, but the company has held her down. So, that leaves Alicia Fox... with this statistic, you NEED Katie Lea to be on RAW and she WILL succeed if she works hard enough. Could you imagine the possibilities for her? A feud with Melina and Gail Kim are great ideas, as well as an establishing feud with Kelly to either put Kelly over as well as making her own presence felt.

In theory, Katie Lea moving to RAW is the best move for her career within the confines of the WWE. In reality, she's stuck with Paul Burchill as the valet. Unless she is trusted by the WWE to perform double duties (which won't happen, ala Nattie Neidhart), then only the company will be the detriment to Katie Lea.

I agree that Katie Lea and Paul may need to split up for Katie to succeed. The WWE could make them a formidable duo but there not going too. Paul is strong and athletic for his size but the WWE has never let his character get over. If they exaggerate his nickname 'The Ripper' and make him into a dominating, ruthless englishman he and Katie could work with a gothic couple.

However, I don't think they are going to get split up. If they were, Katie should have slapped Paul on ECW which I thought may have happened after the state Katie was in. But the WWE again will just bury these two very talentaed superstars. With Raw and SmackDown's current Face and Heel situations, Katie should go to Raw heel and Paul to SmackDown heel.

I think that they could be a great gothic, dominating and ruthless duo or Katie could lead the Divas division on Raw with Paul buried on SmackDown. With Paul alone, he could tag with Mike Knox who's shown a side to his character knowing how to punish opponents anatomy but that tag team would be buried even more. With the current landscapes on Raw and SmackDown, they will stay together on one brand with the same positions they had on ECW. Another example of Vince completely wasting great talent.

She does have potential to make it in the Women Division. But she would be a lot better on Smackdown. At least there should be able to have to have pretty good matches against the likes of Mickie. But I can see how Raw could be good for her to. She can have decent to good matches with the likes of Gail Kim, Kelly Kelly, and Melina.

But with the right build up and good person to feud with she can make there.

She does in a way, and doesn't in another. Katie Lea is actually pretty good in the ring. She is actually an above average worker in the ring, and is decent on the mic. She can work well with others, and she's been in the biz for a while(indies, OVW, Shimmer, ect) and she is no doubt just as capable in the ring as the other ladys.

The thing with Katie Lea is, she had her chance a failed. She had a feud with Mickie, multiple matches, a few mixed matches, title shot and PPV match. Even facing the top face in the women's division she didn't get over, and came out to silence. So I understand why Vince didn't want to push her any farther and made her a manager. Yes she's better than alot of the other girls getting pushes and not getting reactions, but she still failed and that's that.

But I think she has all the tools that it takes to eventually be a credible female in the division. She can work, she can talk, she has a unique look that makes her stand out, and I think/hope that eventually she'll get another try. But for now I like her teaming with Paul, but it sucks that is seems to be going nowhere, and the fans don't really give a damn.

In a word, no. Because she doesn't fit Vince's idea of what a Diva should be.

I know, I've covered this so many times before in another thread, but the simple fact is, KAtie doesn't fit Vince's idealistic belief on "beauty". And as long as that's the case, Vince isn't going to push the woman worth anything. Yes, she's very good in the ring, but it's not as though there's too much that can be done for her in terms of how she looks. And as long as she has that roadblock, I'm afraid Katie is more or less screwed.

Besides that, she's tied down to that lughead, Paul. The only time Paul was ever remotely interesting was when he was playing a fucking pirate. That should tell you all you need to know about Paul. And as long as Paul is anchoring Katie Lea down, you can expect her to be on television every other week, and job to Kelly Kelly in some shit matches.

Katie Lea can wrestle peeps! This lady just teamed up with Miss Mickie James this last tour in Europe to take on Beth and Michelle, and Katie lea had some solid moves, and won! Its out there, go check it out. She is more than capable to become a solid contender for the Divas title. She is strong and has good mic skills and had a good fued with Mickie a year or two back. She just needs the right people to allow her the chance, and I think she will show us all what she can truely do.

I'm not sold on the idea that she can't make it based on her look. Granted, I sure being blond and having more "ideal" features would help, I don't think that Vince McMahon really cares all that much.

Look at people like Mickie James and Lita. Neither of them have/had that "classic model" look, and both have/had great careers.

I really like Katie Lea. I think she is jaw droppingly beautiful, is in the upper tier (relatively) in terms of in ring ability, and I like hearing her on the mic.

I'd like to see her have Regal teach her some hooking behind the scenes. It could give her a trademark style that none of the other divas have, and would give her a definitive "english" style.

Doe she have the wrestling ability to make it big? Yes...She was a good worker in the indys, and the WWE found a way to dumb her down. I personally think she's beautiful, so I don't see a reason her looks would hold her back.

But, as we've seen many times before, having the potential to make it big, does not always make it so for Vince. Gail Kim should probably be the champ, facing Beth in solid 7 or 8 minute matches on PPV, but instead we get Michelle McCool and Maryse carrying the belts around like fashion accessories. Katie Lea will always be her brother's valet, as long as she's working for WWE.

People give Paul Birchill to much shit man, you can't get over with the crowd as a jobber and the man ALWAYS jobs, its not his fault they don't give him any wins, I don't really get it either, I thought he'd be Vince's cup of tea.

As for Katie Lea I think she along with Gail Kim(obviously) would be a lot better off in TNA. Like everyone else has said Vince really isn't about the wrestling part the Divas division. They either have to look strong and intimidating(Beth/Victoria/Jazz) or gorgeous or they fall by the wayside. Only average looking girl that ever really made it was Molly Holly. I actually find Katie much hotter than Molly and I love english accents on women. You would think they'd utilize the uniqueness of this pairing a lot better than they have.

Actually I think both Katie and Paul would prosper in TNA, if they'd make the jump and say joined the British Invasion, they could really make that stable into a big time group. Paul could compete in the X-Division and possibly eventually move up to the main event, and Katie would have actual use in the Knockout division.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that making her shag her brother would be an all round more entertaining prospect, but PG era etc etc. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Anyway, yes, I think she does have wht it takes to be a decent women's competitor. People are already bringing out the "what Vince doesn't like his divas to be" card, but there have been plenty with that card that have succeeded in the short term. At the end of the day, Burchill is stll an attractive woman and is entertaining.

I think realistically, she'd be better on Smackdown. McCool vs James has been done to death, and it'd be nice to get someone else around there to have a chance. As it is, it looks like she'll be on Raw, and I think she is more than capable of being able to feud with Melina once her programme with Maryse finishes.

I do think that Katie Lea has the potential to make it big in the Women's Division.... but.... it may take a while before she gets a title win, or if she even gets one. Whether she is on Raw or Smackdown, she would have a lot of people to get past.

If she's on Raw.... then she would be the secondary heel behind Maryse. Whether she gets a title shot soon or not would depend on if Maryse beats Melina, which I think she will. Then Katie would get stuck as Maryse's tag team partner in those random weekly diva tag matches we all love so much (note my sarcasm there.) Her odds would increase a bit if Melina beat Maryse, then she'd become the only option to beat Melina unless they gave the next title shot to Kim.

If she's on Smackdown.... roughly the same thing would happen. Only replace Maryse with Michelle. She would end up in the spot that Layla is in. Tag team partner of the top heel in the weekly diva tag match no one cares about. Her odds would be highest if Mickie beats Michelle, but I don't think that is going to happen.

So.... unless she turns face, it looks as if it would be a while before Katie gets a title shot no matter what brand she's on. I do think she has a shot at getting the win at some point, it just seems to me that it will be a while before that happens. She'll be a good champion if/when it does happen though because anyone's first title win is often an interesting thing to see.

Believe it or not guys, I think that Katie going to Raw is a good move and here's why.

Beth Phoenix, Natalya, Michelle, Layla, Maria, and Mickie. In that mix you have 1 credible face, 3 credible heels, Maria and Layla. How is Katie going to leapfrog Beth, Natalya, and Michelle to become a #1 contender.

Now for Raw. Heel wise you got Maryse, Jillian, and Alicia. She really doesn't have too far to go up the heel diva ladder to get to a shot at Melina. Plus, we've already seen Katie play the dominant diva role in matches when she rose to #1 contender when she had her feud with Mickie. It was a very good feud and I think that she will be able to work well with Melina as well.

Now about her looks. I've always felt that Katie is among the most beautiful of the WWE divas when she was on Raw. Frankly, I find her figure to be perfect. She's got more of a "real" look to her that most divas just lack. Plus as some said, she has the accent working for her. One of the reasons Maryse works so well right now is because she uses her accent perfectly. In my mind, if they can find a way to separate Katie from Paul, then she has a real chance to make an impact. All they really need to do to get her over is put her in a few squashes with the Bellas or Kelly Kelly and then she can quickly rise in the ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back