Diva's Champion

AnthonyMango/NoFate007

A Post Is Worth A Thousand Words
So on Smackdown, Vickie struggled her little heart out to get through the dialogue to announce that Smackdown will be getting its own belt for the women..."Diva's Championship"...and the first thing I thought was, naturally....

WHY?!?!?!

Do we really need TWO championships for the women's division if we can't even get ONE of them to be worth watching? Lol. Now this means we may very well see Kelly Kelly or freaking Maryse or something as a CHAMPION! Wtf? Lol.

WWE has a struggling-to-die midcard on both shows, a last-breath tag team division on both shows, the ECW title doesn't mean anything anymore basically, and repetitive feuds for the WWE and WHC titles. The last thing they need is another belt.

And of course, this belt was designed for Michelle McCool and Natalya. Very transparent in that one.

Your thoughts on this new championship?

My best guess to why they are having a women's title on Smackdown is the simple fact that despite the effort being crappy, WWE is legitamately trying to fix their women's division.

I am guessing that they have noticed TNA and their ratings grabbing womens fighting and have chosen to do the same. On Smackdown, you have Victoria, Natalie Neidhart, Michelle McCool. These are the three best(If you could call it that) women wrestlers on this show. That way if they ever want to move a woman to that show they would still qualify for a title.

But I do agree with you on the fact that most of the women on that show cannot wrestle as I saw Maryse's match with Cherry and that was awful. But then again when you see someone like Nattie Neidhart using a sharpshooter, then you come to realize that there is talent there. But the amazing thing is that the talented wrestlers are the heel wrestlers and the face of Smackdown (McCool) is C- at best.

All in all, it is a good effort but if WWE wants to be effective then they have to have the womens title on the line at Mania and not do that playboy crap anymore. It is the only way to generate more interest in the womens division.

Bad, Bad move here by the WWE. NoFate i totally agree with you, the IC and US titles arent being utilized properly, The Tag Titles are in the garbage, the Womens Championship is starting to be pushed but still needs work, ECW Title means jack now and there bringing in a Divas Championship???!!! WWE has lost it here, because by the sounds of the Title, this is going to be held by women by the names of McCool, Maryse, Cherry, Kelly Kelly Yuk!

An easier option would of been contest the Womens Championship on all brands, then you can have McCool and Natalya fighting for it if there that desperate to have those divas have a championship reign.

"Divas Championship" doesnt sound good either, because by the sounds of it, it wont be like the Womens Title, its going to be a title with bra and panties matches and so on.

Yeh this could of been a decision to improve the womens division but as i said earlier if they really wanted to do that they could have made the Womens Championship fought on all brands which would of fixed the problem of the Smackdown/ECW divas not getting a chance at the title and would have made the divison more interesting. But by making another title doesnt serve anything really, its going to be a waiste. t is not needed considering the talent of the women they have as they only have around 5-7 women that are solid in the ring and have decent mic skills or who can really have a go.

Stupid decision this is IMO, why did they really need another title? The only way i think this can work if they have Natalyia and Victoria leading the pack with the title in their hands as they are the only decent women on Smackdown. With that though, I still see this being a big failure...

WWE has noticed that TNA has a better women's division because they knew how to use the Knockouts to boost the ratings.Now,they decided to have a Diva's Championship on Smackdown to help improve the show.WWE has three divas they could give the title to Natalya,Victoria,and Michelle McCool. I have a great feeling that they will give the belt to Natalya and built her up like Beth Phoenix in a better gimmick though if they could pull it off.Anyone see Natalya have the same storyline as Beth Phoenix?

I definitely agree that the better options would to either be having the Women's championship defended on all 3 brands, or to just combine the rosters and have all the Divas on ONE brand...namely Smackdown. That gives you many more feuds, many more options, and you don't have to bog things down with unnecessary matches. For instance...does this mean that we'll need to have TWO Divas matches on ppvs now? You want to talk about poor PPV sales...hahaha....it doesn't take a lot of foresight to see that less people will be interested in your ppvs if 2 of the matches on the card can be determined as an automatic piss-break (for the most part).

Things were looking so well for the women's division, with the past 3 ppv matches........I guess we all should've known that they'd nosedive into a pile soon enough lol.

2 Womens matches at PPV's?? God help us, thats going to be a disaster. Yeh i agree that the Womens divison was improving lately with great matches at the last 3 PPV's but now that the WWE has taken the direction of improving the division to meet TNA's its going to be overkill.

There is no need for two diva matches on a single ppv, let alone 2 Championship matches for the divas!! Well its certainly going to happen at Night Of Champions as every title must be defended, but if it happens at every PPV it wont work. It's not going to boost buy rates and its certainly going to get more people to the toilet. Face it, people are not interested in seeing Kelly Kelly Vs Michelle McCool for this new title along with Mickie James Vs Beth Phoneix on the same card. One of those matches yes, but two aint going to keep audiences attention, especially with the majority of the divas on Smackdown cant wrestle for crap.

They should of just put the Womens Championship on all 3 brands or put all the divas on Smackdown, but now with this new "Divas Championship" your going to see overkill of Divas and alot of Kelly Kelly, Maryse, Cherry on your tv screens.

Indeed, the better option would have been to allow the Women’s Championship to be contested on all three shows. That’s clearly not going to happen now. I guess it was only a matter of time before we got two women’s titles considering Raw and Smackdown each have their own heavyweight, mid-card, and tag titles.

With the addition of the new title, my hope is this will be the beginning of them building up the Smackdown brand. At least it will give the Smackdown and ECW women something to fight for now instead of something stupid like who’s the better dancer (cough*Kelly and Layla*cough). Regarding the PPV issue, the Women’s Championship isn’t defended on every PPV, so other than Night Of Champions, they’ll most likely trade-off with the Women’s title defended one month then the ‘Divas’ title defended the next PPV. I just wish they’d give the new title a better name.

When I heard this, the first thing I did was went to the bathroom, because I thought I just shit myself. In all seriousness though..

Raw's Women's Division is beginning to pick up. Its not picking up too quickly, as they'll soon find out that you can't do a lot with a total of 4 actual female wrestlers, (Mickie, Melina, Beth, Katie) and a couple stand-ins (Maria, Ashley) that just play the part. You can't count Jillian as anything "good" or "bad" right now, because shes not being used as anything important. And Candice, "good" or "bad" isn't around long enough anymore and can barely make it to the ring without breaking a nail and being injured for half the year. (Sad, but true)

Smackdown's answer to the Women's (Wrestling) Division is actually, believe it or not, a great thing. Sure its horrible in the sense that they'll be wrestling matches (I assume) to crown this "Diva's Champion" but its still a title that Victoria, Natalya, Cherry, McCool and all the others can fight for. Its even a Championship that could quite literally be passed around to the likes of Kelly Kelly and Layla, with actual purpose. (I never said it was good purpose)

While I'm not suddenly all for seeing SD's answer to Raw's female division.. I'm happy that the girls on the other brands finally have something to fight for, except for replacing each other as a manager.

How are they expected to have a seconds women's divison when they don't have the talent for one? People lick the ********s of Mickie & Melina, yet neither is anything special. It's true, charisma does get you a long way.

There's too many titles in general. So I just don't see the need in adding another title. Let alone adding a second to a division. This is almost as stupid as the ECW tag titles idea. Just bring back the Cruiserweight title if they want to have another title. They've got the talent to fill that.

I think its less of a matter of do we need 2 women's titles and more along the lines of why does the WWE have to add another belt period. Lets run down the list here.

WWE Championship
World Heavyweight Title
Unites States Title
Intercontinental Title
WWE Tag Team Title
World Tag Team Championship
ECW Championship
WWE Women's Championship
and now the WWE Divas Championship

That makes about 9 title belts and I'm excluding the Cruiserweight Championship since it has become null and void. Jeff Jarrett made a good point where he said that the more championships you have, the less they mean. The WWE title hasn't meant all that much since it became the spinning belt. The United States title hasn't meant anything since the WCW days where David Flair had it handed to him. The ECW Championship means absolutely nothing but serves as a reminder that the ECW we once knew is dead and that tarnishing the memory is this so called Extreme Championship Wrestling which carries with it one title which desecrates the guys who wore it and those that either wore or fought for it and are no longer around.

But back to the topic of the so called Divas Title, what exactly can we expect? A belt defended in swimsuit competitions? Belts defended in water balloon/water gun fights? Say what you want about the Women's Championship but at least it's defended in actual matches and not some goofy gimmick match used to show off some T&A action as opposed to just women that are skilled as wrestlers competing such as Beth Phoenix or Mickie James.

Bottom line is that the last thing the WWE needs is to add another championship belt. What they need to do is make the belts they have actually mean something again. They want the divas to have a championship belt? Then merge the brands and let them collide over the women's title.

But back to the topic of the so called Divas Title, what exactly can we expect? A belt defended in swimsuit competitions? Belts defended in water balloon/water gun fights? Say what you want about the Women's Championship but at least it's defended in actual matches and not some goofy gimmick match used to show off some T&A action as opposed to just women that are skilled as wrestlers competing such as Beth Phoenix or Mickie James.

That's probably what the belt will be. The same version of the women's belt that they had in the late 90's. If it's like that then I don't really have a problem with it. So long as they promote it as a pointless belt. It doesn't matter. It'll be no different than the Drinking Championship. Pointless, but a bit of fun.

But I suspect they'll have Bikini contests, but then expect fans to care when they try and promote a wrestling match between two of them. Which won't happen.

Jeff Jarrett made a good point where he said that the more championships you have, the less they mean.

Definitely, less is more in a lot of situations. Right now, the WWE has enough talent that they could have two VERY solid main event titles (WWE and World Heavyweight championships), two solid midcards - but only if they get rid of ECW as that's ferociously killed the midcard divisions...and as far as the tag team division goes, I just flat out have no clue why they haven't fixed it yet. They have all these wrestlers that have nothing to do, yet they won't put them as midcard challengers or in tag teams. What good is Snitsky wrestling on Heat when you can put him in a tag team with someone like Mike Knox or Vladimir Kozlov? They wouldn't be great, but it'd be better use for your division. And if they were to combine the tag team titles and defend them on the two shows (cause, as earlier, if you get rid of ECW then you fix a lot of problems) then you have LOTS of teams you can pick from. More challengers means more options, better stories, and if there's a large number of people challenging for one thing, then it has much more prestige.

Same goes for the women. If you were to combine them and put them all on one show...Raw OR Smackdown, doesn't matter...but Smackdown would be better suited....you'd have such a more cohesive collection. That way, you don't have situations of repetitive cycles.

I think the powers that be are afraid that you can't make a star unless they have belt to their name and an incredibly fast rise to the top. That cheapens everything. So they're probably trying that same methodology to the women's division. "Hell, give so and so a title. That way, they HAVE to care about whether or not they lose, right? Right? Oh shit, ratings are down. Uh...I know, more midgets!"

I'm split here. I posted somewhere the other day that Smackdown's divas are basically nothing but eye candy because they have nothing to fight over, and the next day I saw this. This to me seems to be simply an attempt to copy TNA's knockout success. Here is my issue with that. Last night I was watching Impact during the women's segment, and I saw the Beautiful People, Roxxi, Gail, ODB, and an enforcer in a mega brawl. This was one of the better segments of the show. The reason being is that it continued the feuds, there were distinct characters, and the segment ended with the new enforcer cleaning house. It made sense, and advanced the story. On Smackdown and Raw, I see no stories in the divas ranks (or anywhere for that matter) other than "you're the champion, I want to be the champion." That can work, but you need a story to go with it. The diva's don't have this anywhere. It's just random matches that are played into "feuds". If you want the SD divas to compete, put the Women's title on all 3 brands. Then you actually have a women's division of close to 10 people, making it actually competitive, and giving you a rotation of feuds. It's a good idea, but they're going about it all wrong to me.

Not sure I understand this one, as the women's division on smackdown (besides 2 or 3 I can think of) is extremly weak at best. But that's WWE creative for ya. Instead of being inventive and trying new storylines to get the women over, they'd rather go simple and simply create a new title. Just seems like a weak move overall. If they're going to bring another title to smackdown, why not bring back the cruiserweight title? that one actually had some sense of merit and it was exciting to see the cruiserweights fight. Perhaps WWE has a surprise in store with this, but I doubt it. Just seems like a lazy way to push the few top women they have on the show.

Yes, I agree, this is silly. It's not a bad idea in principle (gives the ladies something genuine to occupy themselves with) but in practice they haven't got enough credible wrestlers to make it work. Who is there on Smackdown and ECW? Natalya and Victoria, who are best mates anyway (for now), and maybe McCool. There's no way the Draft can improve things, because the Raw roster isn't exactly overstacked with even half-decent divas either. Extending the women's title so the ladies from all brands can fight for it is far more logical (unless they're planning to put even more heat on La Familia by having Vickie somehow nick this new belt for herself, but that's surely far-fetched).

This business of nearly all the divas being shite is causing other problems. It means that WWE are, quite rightly, shite-scared to run more than 1 diva storyline at any time on all brands, because they know we can only tolerate our divas, at the moment, in small doses. Ergo, we're getting storylines that are truncated, confused, and disjointed, which in turn means we don't care about any of them. Classic example: Natalya. She strolls in, looks to be starting a feud with McCool - and then that has to stop so Cherry and Maryse can be pushed. WWE's reasoning: we can't do both at once. Quite right: not while Cherry and Maryse are so painful to watch, you can't.

Therefore, characters are not being developed. Again, example is Natalya. She debuted in April, and still doesn't have any sort of character apart from acolyte of Victoria (which is dumb in itself, because she's obviously destined for higher things). Why? Because WWE are scared of Diva overload. They'll give her this title, sure, but how are we going to care when we know nothing about her? And who will she credibly compete with once she's won it?

One random idea: hook her up with one of the Edgeheads and get her into La Familia (once Chavo and Bam have left). Develop the character as a devious schemer who will do anything to hang on to the title. She is supposed to be a heel, and this would probably draw some genuine heat. It still doesn't solve the problem of credible rivals, though.

I just thought of something else. With them moving ECW tapings before Raw, and the possibility that the Smackdown talent exchange will be nullified, does that mean they're going to waste 2 draft options to move Kelly Kelly and Layla over to Smackdown, or that they're just going to have even less women in contention for this horrible new belt idea? If they got rid of Kelly and Layla, who both suck anyway, that'd mean that they would have what...Michelle, Natalya, Victoria, Cherry, and Maryse...with Eve as a backstage interviewer...5 chicks for a belt? Give me a freakin break.

Least not we forget that there will be another Diva Search in a couple of months. So if the division appears kind of small it won't be for long. After that competition I'm sure we'll see an influx of terrible females. None terribly attractive, none talented in the slightest.

I still think this should be the Bikini Diva's Championship. Ask any regual WWE fan and ask them what they'd prefer. Crap female wrestling, or females in bikinis.

Crap female wrestling for sure. Or you know what?? how bout...

FUCKING NEITHER

Sweet goodness WWE. You want people to pay money to see TWO laborious womens matches??? Whaaat the FUCK. People become outraged just watching ONE. TWO??? Fuck that. And to think, we couldve had a new cruiser title. For goodness damn sakes. Well, there is roughly a 100000% chance Natalya wins this, and becomes the Beth Pheonix of SD!. Yawn. Next thing you know they will give ECW fucking undercard titles. goodness gracious.

Crap female wrestling for sure.

Are you sure about that? Nobody ever got bored of The Kat. Nobody ever complained about the women's division then. It's because it was in it's rightful place. It was a comedy belt and nothing more. Just the same as the current women's belt flits between being a wrestling belt, and a pudding match belt. People aren't cheering Candice because of her ''improved'' wrestling ability. It's because of her tits. The one champion they've had in recent years who had the slightest bit of wrestling talent, bored most fans to tears.

I wasnt being serious Jake. I would rather see none of it to be honest. If I wanted to see tits and ass, I would get my phone out and have a scallywag come over. If im watching a wrestling show, I want to watch wrestling. Not veiled fetish. Which is what it truly is (at least in WWE) IE two scantly clad girls "cat fighting". Of course your right, and the Divas should be regulated to valets, backstage interveiwers, and bikini contests. IF anything.

The Diva's championship, if it does become the bikini championship, will be one of the more important titles. Instead of having a Beth Phoenix vs. Melina match to calm the fans down between the real matches. They can just have Cherry vs. Michelle McCool in a best body contest. That way they'll get some heat, unlike the women attempting to wrestle, and it'll be something different to watch. It also won't give people the impression that the title is serious, like what the current women's title match does.

Crap female wrestling for sure. Or you know what?? how bout...

FUCKING NEITHER

Sweet goodness WWE. You want people to pay money to see TWO laborious womens matches??? Whaaat the FUCK. People become outraged just watching ONE. TWO??? Fuck that. And to think, we couldve had a new cruiser title. For goodness damn sakes. Well, there is roughly a 100000% chance Natalya wins this, and becomes the Beth Pheonix of SD!. Yawn. Next thing you know they will give ECW fucking undercard titles. goodness gracious.

Don't say it too loud, NorCal. They might be listening. Next thing we know, we'd have Stevie Richards with a title, defending it against Nunzio and Colin Delaney.

I kind of expect this title to be designed as a pink background instead of black and instead of a little picture of a globe in the middle, they have a picture of lingerie or something. Maybe it won't even be a title. Maybe it'll just be a special bra that they wear or something. That way when they get "stripped of the title", all the horny 12 year olds that get their fix from the Divas instead of, you know, having a girlfriend, can high-five each other and hope for some full-frontal.

I wonder why we haven't had any ratings reports from WWE the same as TNA, who says "such and such lost so many viewers" and everything. I hope this bites them in the ass so fast that their heads spin and someone backstage just goes "Uh...well, at least we didn't give Katie Vick the title, right?....I know, I'm fired."

The WWE Diva's probably get the same ratings as the Knockouts. WWE has poor ratings, but TNA's are awful. I'm sure if you worked it out the crap segments involving Michelle McCool would draw just as much as the crap segements with The Beautiful People. Difference being that more people of heard of Michelle McCool because she's involved with a company that will attract the occasional part time fan. Unlike TNA which only attracts the weekly regulars and the occasional channel surfer.

The WWE Diva's probably get the same ratings as the Knockouts. WWE has poor ratings, but TNA's are awful. I'm sure if you worked it out the crap segments involving Michelle McCool would draw just as much as the crap segements with The Beautiful People. Difference being that more people of heard of Michelle McCool because she's involved with a company that will attract the occasional part time fan. Unlike TNA which only attracts the weekly regulars and the occasional channel surfer.

Exactly. TNA getting like a 1.0 for the Knockouts and the Divas plummeting the programming to 1.0 is still equal. That's why the WWE shouldn't bother trying to be like TNA....TNA sucks. If the Knockouts get the highest rated segments above all, and they're still nothing fantastic, then its most likely just because guys want to see attractive girls. WWE has enough attractive girls...most of them far better looking than 9/10 of the Knockouts. They shouldn't worry about competing with them at all. If its all just about sexy women, then stop the whole "we want to downplay the sexuality" viewpoint, just have the girls come out wearing practically nothing, and still wrestle...but only once per episode/week. I don't mind seeing one Divas match on Raw, and its annoying to have to sit through it on a ppv (but at least then its pretty fast and lately, they've had much, much better matches that were actually enjoyable) but if I'm going to start getting 2 Divas matches on a ppv, especially if one of them is the likes of "Maryse vs Eve" or something...then I guess all I can say is thank God for those website streams.

Well the way i see it, they doo kinda deserve it, only thing is Smackdown's only got 3 diva's (michelle even is kinda shady in that department) that could even compete, or be worth competing for it. Nattie and Victoria have some damn good talent! But them 2 can only go so far. Deffinetely shoulda just made it so that the Women's title was defended on all the brands, not make a new one for smackdown. Could you imagine, Nattie vs Beth Phoenix, Mickie james, so on... that'd probably get me into the division again (im high on Nattie, think she's got LOADS of talent, using her uncles sharpshooter is just GENIUS!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back