• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Did Triple H Intentionally Keep The Good Workers Away From Raw While He Was Champion?

"I don't buy that one. People really did want to see Booker T win the title. Hell, the storyline typically plays out like that. They brought up his criminal past, and embarrassed him on TV. So when he didn't go over, it made him look more idiotic than losing to The Rock. There was never a point when Booker got any heat in the feud."

Wasn't he actually scheduled to win the belt up until the day of Wrestlemania? I know I read that in a couple of places.

Oh,and along with bringing up his past(why they went there I'll never know) There was that racial angle they were starting to take with that feud as well.

And we'll never really know what kind of draw Booker would have been,for the simple fact he was never put in a position to draw when business was good.

Triple H didn't want anybody to take his place at the time and why would he? He was World Champion for most of the time between 2002-2005 but he never had to face the new guys that were making their way up to the top of the WWE.Brock is a huge example, Brock was on Raw and was the Undisputed Champion.Then he goes to stays on Smackdown and takes the title and says he will not put it on the line on Raw.The guy who has dominated the WWE since his debut is running because of Triple H becoming the 1 number contender at the time (I think).Triple H wanted to keep his spot at the top of the card and did everything to keep it and thats it.

Ok so here's something I have to ask... Why shouldn't Triple H have put himself over?

Seriously, take a step back and look at what had happened before that. In the Attitude Era, Triple H became the World champion plenty of times, but in the end it was always The Rock or Stone Cold who would get the better of the events. Triple H was given the upper mid-card to lower main-event deal for a long time, and the only time he was relevant was when he teamed up with Austin.

I see nothing wrong with Triple H wanting to get a piece of history on Raw to himself. The guy has always been a great worker, and before he married Steph, he always was the guy to be the put over. Not to mention, he took blame for the Power Trip incident and has taken blame for the "Screwjob". Triple H in that time period was cashing in on a very well deserved title reign, and I saw nothing wrong with that. I still see nothing wrong with it. He deserved it.

Not to mention his matches with the people weren't that bad, and were easy to make believable... well except for Kane. But with people like Booker T, HBK, Orton, Benoit, and others... Speaking of which, anybody else realize that at WM 20, Triple H lost the World Heavyweight title and didn't get it back until Unforgiven?

That's TWO big time PPVs that Triple H either lost at or didn't compete in. So what if he wanted to be a bit dominant in that time period, it was needed. Besides, over the past few years Triple H has done nothing but put over stars. Sure he's gotten two WM wins in a row where the other guy should've went over, but let's look at the "big dog" on Smackdown... The same big dog who wouldn't even show up on Smackdown if Triple H was on the show. If you ask me, Triple H is a work horse for the main event and deserved every bit of push that he got in those years.

Another thing to remember about Triple H is that he earned that spot. There is no argument to prove that wrong. That man pranced around as an aristocrat, broke through with a revolutionary group, and then turned himself into a believable main event player. He bled buckets and proved that he deserved the top spot after Austin and The Rock stepped down. All of this was before he ever married Stephanie McMahon.

This thread truly amuses me, mostly because everyone is either kissing Tenta's ass because of his massive rep, or they are using menial points without looking at the bigger picture. I will give you credit Tenta, you lured everyone into your argument and kept them in a vacuum so as not to expand upon any ideas to prove you wrong. Well, I'm not easily intimidated, so I'm going to give the devil's advocate role a shot. Here goes:

No, I fully welcome people to expand on arguments, it just depends on the poster to actually get the gumption to reply to it, going quote for quote. If I had a nickel for how many lazy posts I've seen on this forum, I'd be a fucking rich man. Unfortunately, that's not the case with you, because you put together a well done post. Some parts are correct, and others I'm going to disagree with til my dying day, but that said, you really didn't phone this one in, and I applaud that. That said, let's go through this whole thing. Oh, and by the way, I really don't buy it's people kissing my ass, because quite frankly, I don't have that large of a rep power. If that were the case, they'd all go to KB's reviews, and praise him there. I just think it's that people genuinely dislike Triple H.

The first point that NOBODY hit on was that this period of time was awfully thin in terms of star power all around. Keep in mind, the years of 1998-2002 were really controlled by 5 guys, maybe 6. Those men are Austin, Rock, Foley, Taker, Angle, and Triple H.

And Hogan. And The entire nWo, at least the important group. And Booker T, who was a star in WCW, and RVD, who was the most over star in ECW, as well as Chris Jericho, as well as Vince McMahon still running things. I don't buy this notion that there were no stars, though I see what you mean by it being a transition era.

In the time from 2000-2002, Foley retired,

Yet still showed up countless times on TV, most of the time publicized, either in a commisioner role, or a pseudo GM. Foley might have been done wrestling, but let's be honest, at this point, no one wanted to see Foley wrestle. However, him giving his promos, and acting as an authority figure was good enough.

Stone Cold finished up,

Yet was still on television every week, during Triple H's run of dominance.

and Rock left for Hollywood,

But that, again, didn't happen until 2003, in which point, he was put ove ron Smackdown, built up a little bit, and fed to, who was it again? Oh yeah, Brock Lesnar.

leaving Trips, Taker, and Angle left as proven draws. Yep, that's it.

Well, considering the fact that I just showed how all of these stars, in some fashion, still were a part of the program, that clearly isn't it. Also, you did forget plenty of names, Hulk Hogan being one of them, but oh well, we'll just forget the biggest superstar in the history of wrestling, right? :rolleyes:

This idea that the WWE had no stars isn't exactly true, man. It had plenty of stars, and the potential to make stars, once Angle, Taker, and Triple H's time was done in the main event. Angle took the time to build up Brock Lesnar, Eddie, Chris Benoit, and the like. The Undertaker took this time to also start building up Lesnar, try building Test who confuses me but ok, Muhammed Hassan though that was admittedly later, Jeff Hardy, and the like. All of these wrestlers took the time to build up superstars around them, who could potentially be in the main event. And look who didn't: Triple H.

The only other people on the roster before the invasion that had main-evented Pay Per Views were Jericho and Kane if I'm not mistaken.

Well, no. Benoit main evented a one on one match with The Rock at Fully Loaded. The Big Show had main evented before, and was the main event at Wrestlemania 2000, mind you.

Perhaps Benoit like once (against Rock I believe), but nobody proven over a period of time to be draws.

And don't you the problem here? Instead of legitimately trying to build up these superstars like Angle and Taker had done, he buried them all, really. The point here is that stars somewhat need to be made off the backs of bigger stars. The stars that Triple H chose to make, Batista and Randy Orton, were at the time people close to his clique, much like Nash and Michaels were, that could become political allies. Even then, Orton would soon be buried by Trips after having what should have been a career defining moment.

Thus, as the invasion came in without the star power of WCW, it was tough to gage who could draw from that group, if anyone.

But the problem is, those stars from WCW did eventually come, Yanks. Flair, Hogan, Nash, Hall, all except Sting came aboard WWE. Did they come at the Invasion period? No, but keep in mind that Triple H was hurt during that period, too. Eventually, all these stars would come, and even then, there were plenty of stars from WCW, Booker T being one of them. Maybe he was less of a star, but people could tell he had the talent to be a main event performer.

What people fail to realize are the the "invaders" were talents from two companies that were folding. These were certainly not the best talent either company could offer. ECW had lost most of their top talent to WWE or WCW already, though very little of that talent ever proved it could draw on a mainstream level anyway. Want proof? Taz had a hot debut, ending Angle's undefeated streak, but did little afterwords. Blame it on Triple H all you want, but let's be honest. The guy is supposed to be the toughest man on the planet............at 5'5". It might work to the niche audience in ECW, but to the WWE audience who has Kane, Undertaker, Big Show, and others, a man that size isn't going to intimidate any of those men. Sorry, but don't blame Triple H, blame genetics for making Taz quite short.

Yeah, I think only one guy blamed Triple H for Taz' burial, and I don't agree with it. That said, it's obvious you've never watched a lick of ECW man. Taz in his prime was probably more of a bad ass than Goldberg was at his time. Was he short? Yeah, but it didn't mean the guy wasn't skilled and intimidating. Benoit was only 5'9", and he was impressive. This notion that height killed Taz is just wrong on so many levels. What killed Taz was that he couldn't bring his "Fuck the World" Persona into what had become a now publicly traded company.

As for the rest, perhaps the only person of note from ECW was Rob Van Dam, who while over with that audience, wasn't proven within WWE. Hell, he wasn't even given the major title while IN ECW! Can't really clamor for him to carry the "A" show if he wasn't put on top of the "C" company.

There's numerous ECW marks, I being one, that will correctly point out that you clearly are speaking out of your ass right now. You really believe that RVD didn't deserve the ECW Title? Paul Heyman was an idiot not to give it to him, and everyone knows that. I would have given it to him during one of Shane Douglas' reigns, but that's neither here nor there. If you look back on that Invasion, you know who was the most over guy with the crowd, on either side? It was Rob Van Dam. He was so over, they had to make him a tweener in a heel group. He was part of the Heel ECW, yet he played the role of a face, because everyone fucking loved him.

So yeah, don't know where you're getting this shit from, but if you're going to rip ECW, at least pretend like you have a clue of what you're talking about.

None of this gets to you point yet, I understand that, but I was building a little background for my argument.

Oh Good, I thought you were just portraying yourself as a WWE mark, who wasn't watching the competition, though ECW easily influenced WWE in its Attitude Days.

By the time the invasion was over and the brand split occurred, how many established main eventers were there? If your answer was not many, you are right. So let's assume Undertaker, Angle, Rock (who's barely around), Stone Cold (who's on his last legs), and Trips are the big draws. In that draft, 3 go to Smackdown while 2 go to Raw. Admittedly, that's a a drop lopsided, but with Shawn Michaels returning, Raw gains the A program as no program was bigger that year than HBK/HHH.

Yeah, you're still forgetting RVD, but that's ok, you've proven you're just not going to be realistic about how big of a star he was. While we're also here, I'm just going to stop you right in your tracks. You talk about the WWE Draft, yet you're going to have to include the following facts.

1. That about three months after the draft, for unknown reasons (Read: Triple H didn't want to work with them) The Undertaker, Chris Benoit, and Eddie Guerrero were shipped off to Smackdown. There goes one of your proven draws on Raw, and two stars who were well over in the mid card, and were capable of the main event, which they were slowly built into.

2. Brock Lesnar was also traded off to Smackdown right after his WWE Title win over The Rock, which meant Raw needed it's own title, which went to Triple H, which spawned the Dominance Run of Triple H. Ok, you can continue your spin now. I'll just be to correct what you royally fuck up.

You can argue all you want that HBK didn't need to be in the main event picture, but he had never feuded with Triple H and it was a money feud to be done. No one knew if Shawn could go full time, and if you are WWE and think you have limited matches in him, are you matching him up against HHH in an emotion filled match, or against RVD just to try and elevate him? Exactly.

I'll tell you what you do, because you have so many fucking pay per views to work with; you have both. Shawn and Trips had their feud, and a nostlagia run as Champion for Shawn, which was uneventful, but ok. Now that Shawn has had that, put him to the mid card, and have him put over people like RVD, Edge, Kane; people who actually needed the win. But no, that never fucking happened. And if we recall, between that Summerslam match you talk about, and the Elimination Chamber, Triple H had already pretty much killed the credibility off RVD and Kane, doing so by allowing them to get the wins in tag matches, but never proving in a one on one contest, that they weren't good enough to beat Triple H.

Over on Smackdown, Brock was getting a crazy push, and became a main eventer quite quickly, but after his feud with Rock, Rock is gone. Thus, he is left with Undertaker and Big Show as his "money matches". Not exactly a lot of options there. Add in Angle for Wrestlemania, but let's not kid ourselves and think there's more there than that. If you are going to try and sell me on your Benoits and Guerrerros, I will show you RVD and Jericho on Raw as midcarders who wrestle well and don't draw incredibly. It's even steven there.

Yeah, this whole "not drawing thing" is bullshit on your part. Benoit and Jericho were working in a time period in which the booker, Paul Heyman, decided to sell tickets, you should have long, well done matches on Raw and Smackdown, wsuch as Austin and Benoit, Austin and Jericho, and what have you. It made for good television, but there was a problem; no one's going to pay for a match on PPV, when they can get it for free. Paul's theory was proven wrong, and Benoit and Jericho were blamed, because no one believed that Austin could do any wrong. So when you say "unproven draws", again, you're not giving any fair justice to either Benoit or Jericho.

The truth of the matter is that there just aren't stars at this point. Overall in WWE, it is a tough, transitional time. It isn't until 2005 when Batista and Cena become champions that bona fide stars are truly found. If you want to argue that Booker T could have been one of those guys spanning from WM 19, maybe that's true. However, that is ONE example and not a great one at that. You're talking about establishing a new main eventer...........who's almost 40. I know Batista was in the same boat, but his story wrote itself and it worked. Booker's push would have been more difficult to achieve.

Not when you can work in the rin like Booker. See, here's where you're wrong; Booker T didn't look, or work, like he was forty, and the truth was, his age didn't start to show until he reached 2006, I want to say. That said, there were plenty of feuds like that. Kane's a perfect example, but he couldn't draw, right? His bout with Stone Cold at the 1998 KotR was the third highest bought PPV, only behind Wrestlemania and Summerslam. So I'm not sure where this notion that Kane can't draw is put into place. Still, he had a similar feud where it was built up directly for Kane to win. And when it didn't happen, people tuned out.

Either way, WWE tried to milk their older guys for all they were worth at that point. Thus, you got Kevin Nash and Scott Steiner towards the top of the card, because despite their fading skills, both hadn't been in WWE for a while and having feuds with them at the top was fresh..........or as fresh as you could get at that time.

But no one wanted to see it. Again, it's a clear case of the WWE not listening to it's audience.

Using Triple H as a scapegoat here is about as poor an excuse as you could come up with. Triple H was a talent and draw at the time. Very few others were

Yeah, that's laughable. I'm about to throw some numbers at you, really quickly.

.75. (Unforgiven)
.77 (No Mercy)
.86 (Survivor Series, don't get too excited there. 2001's buyrate was a 1.)
.87 (Armageddon)
.95 (Royal Rumble Down from 1.6 from the last year. Yes, it was driven down a whole .55)
1.4 (Again, Wrestlemania right there, and even then. that was down a whole .2.)

Doesn't look too bad there, does it? I mean, yes, the numbers are decreased from last year, but still not horrific, right? Let's go a little further

.56 (Down from .8 last year)
.58 (Down from .79 last year)
.73 (Down from .9 last year, as King of the Ring)
.74 (Down from 1.32 at last year's Summerslam)
.46 (Down from .77 Last Year)
.73 (Down from .86 at last year's Survivor Series)
.40 (Down from .87 at last year's Armageddon)

You know what all those numbers were, Yanks? Those were the buy rates of all the PPV events in 2003 that Triple H either main evented, or defended his title at. If you really want me to go into 2004, you're going to find the results don't exactly bode well for you, as events where Triple H was not champion, and Benoit was, actually did better numbers. I don't know what this tells you, but to me, it says plain and simple, Triple H is not a draw. So yeah, hope you had fun with that one.

Would things have been slightly different if Angle or Taker were on Raw? Maybe, but not much. You still would have gotten the money HBK/Triple H feud and you still would probably have gotten Stiener and Nash at the top. These guys, despite main eventing for a folding company, had more credibility than others at that time.

See argument above for as to why you're wrong.

As for Goldberg, everyone and their mom want to criticize his time in WWE, but what else would you have done? Book him in squash matches against everyone? Have him sqaush the champion in 5 minutes? Maybe he'd go undefeated in WWE and just forfeit the title as he left in dominance? Come on now. I understand it is a sore spot for some people, but the guy WAS a draw in that his matchups with WWE superstars were fresh and he was the one big star that hadn't come to WWE yet.

Yeah.... The numbers really say otherwise, Son.

I will close by saying that politics are a normal thing in WWE just like any other job. Obviously people politic and do things to help their careers. However, I don't feel Triple H is as ridiculous as you are making him seem. He didn't ship all the good talent off to Smackdown because there simply wasn't a ton of talent at that time, at least not established talent. This was just a bad period for WWE on both Raw and Smackdown, one that didn't improve until 2005. You can't blame a few bad years all around on Triple H, you just can't. It was just a bad time for the Wrestling business.

The numbers don't lie, Yanks. Triple H was not a draw, yet he was allowed to stay with the title, merely because he could argue it was the fault of everyone else the numbers didn't do well. Statistics of consistency don't lie, and the constant in the equation was that when numbers were going down, Triple H was champion. Still, all of the guys he worked with were blamed, and wouldn't reach the main event for two years, at least. Triple H not only was free of the blame for abysmal numbers, he was able to pin it on others, because he's Triple H, and he's the golden boy.

Nice Try.

Something I just thought I'd add regarding how popular Van Dam was, after Michaels won the title at Survivor Series he had a title match with Van Dam on Raw that Van Dam was about to win when HHH interfered. I noticed 2 things at that time, 1.) The crowd was behind Van Dam morseo than HBK and 2.) Van Dam never got a rematch, despite being robbed of his title shot. I personally see this as more evidence supporting the claims that HHH didn't draw and did everthing he could to keep as many successful stars who had the potential to break into the Main Event from showing him up and at the same time blaming them for any fall in the buyrates.

Come on. Is this thread really accusing Triple H of what it’s accusing him of? Triple H purposely did what was WORSE for business instead of what was best? He purposely did what wouldn’t draw and bring in money for WWE for his own personal gain? You have got to be a true, delusional Triple H hater to believe he would willingly do this or would even be capable of doing this. Vince McMahon has final say in everything, and if you think Vince McMahon is going to allow things to happen that aren’t best for business for the WWE, or that aren’t going to make him the most money, you’re out of your mind.

Does no one really see that MAYBE Triple H was such a dominant heel because he was the top draw at the time for RAW and the other talents were being tested as stepping up to that next level and just didn’t work out that way for all sorts of reasons (and the sole blame is not on Triple H's shoulders)? Or maybe people forget that heels draw and if built up the way Triple H was, as Ric Flair was built up during his prime as a dominant heel who always found a way to win and hold on to his title in NWA/WCW, that people will pay to see him finally LOSE. And the more Triple H won and kept the title from talents that may have been over to a degree, but not over enough that WWE wanted to place them in a role to carry the brand that Triple did and COULD, then the more effective it was when Triple H finally DID lose to someone and that person (and the feud) would then make the new champion a star and cement him there. Did that happen with Benoit? It was clearly the attempt. Did that happen with Batista? I’m pretty sure it did!

Come on. Is this thread really accusing Triple H of what it’s accusing him of? Triple H purposely did what was WORSE for business instead of what was best? He purposely did what wouldn’t draw and bring in money for WWE for his own personal gain?

Well, yes, it isn't as though this in unheard of. Must I remind you of The Kliq, Hogan, all other political plays in wrestling. Maybe Triple H didn't realize he was killing business, but he was truly doing it for personal gain, yes.

You have got to be a true, delusional Triple H hater to believe he would willingly do this or would even be capable of doing this. Vince McMahon has final say in everything, and if you think Vince McMahon is going to allow things to happen that aren’t best for business for the WWE, or that aren’t going to make him the most money, you’re out of your mind.

Yes, yes, how dare I believe Vince McMahon wouldn't have a soft spot for his son in law? My God, what must I be thinking? :rolleyes:

Does no one really see that MAYBE Triple H was such a dominant heel because he was the top draw at the time for RAW and the other talents were being tested as stepping up to that next level and just didn’t work out that way for all sorts of reasons (and the sole blame is not on Triple H's shoulders)?

Yeah, that would work if the buy rates and ratings for Triple H's run on top was, you know, a draw. Do I need to point you to my earlier numbers? Right, I think we're both aware that Triple H was a consistent non-draw.

Or maybe people forget that heels draw and if built up the way Triple H was, as Ric Flair was built up during his prime as a dominant heel who always found a way to win and hold on to his title in NWA/WCW, that people will pay to see him finally LOSE.

But people didn't pay to see him lose. His match with Goldberg drew a .46 Buy Rate. Did you read that aloud? A .46. The Survivor Series match between these two drew a .7. That is done almost twice it's number from two years ago. So yeah nice try there, really.

And the more Triple H won and kept the title from talents that may have been over to a degree, but not over enough that WWE wanted to place them in a role to carry the brand that Triple did and COULD, then the more effective it was when Triple H finally DID lose to someone and that person (and the feud) would then make the new champion a star and cement him there. Did that happen with Benoit? It was clearly the attempt. Did that happen with Batista? I’m pretty sure it did!

Yes, yes, he lost to his bodybuilder friend, once again cementing that he also brought his friends in to work the top of the card, and keep his little Clique there. I believe that was one of my charges levied out on him. Nice try, but pretending that Triple H is a draw, in spite of the numbers you have available, is the equivalency of this.

lalala_cant_hear_cat.jpg

No, I fully welcome people to expand on arguments, it just depends on the poster to actually get the gumption to reply to it, going quote for quote. If I had a nickel for how many lazy posts I've seen on this forum, I'd be a fucking rich man. Unfortunately, that's not the case with you, because you put together a well done post. Some parts are correct, and others I'm going to disagree with til my dying day, but that said, you really didn't phone this one in, and I applaud that. That said, let's go through this whole thing. Oh, and by the way, I really don't buy it's people kissing my ass, because quite frankly, I don't have that large of a rep power. If that were the case, they'd all go to KB's reviews, and praise him there. I just think it's that people genuinely dislike Triple H.

Well I appreciate that you appreciate my effort, but from this paragraph, I thought we'd see some agreement and a few points argued. That isn't exactly what followed, is it? Actually, it look more like you criticized most points with the same argument and completely ignored some of my points by not even saying a word about them. It would have been nice for you to include even the points you can't disagree with. That would show that you can admit when someone makes a good point and still disagree with others.

And Hogan. And The entire nWo, at least the important group. And Booker T, who was a star in WCW, and RVD, who was the most over star in ECW, as well as Chris Jericho, as well as Vince McMahon still running things. I don't buy this notion that there were no stars, though I see what you mean by it being a transition era.

If you read the rest of my post, you'd kind of see why I believe these people aren't draws. Not to mention that you criticize Nash (and conceivably Hall because they are Triple H's friends), but you are lauding the NWO as huge draws. You do realize that Nash is one of the key cogs of the NWO right? As in, he and Hall started the group? So you can't say that "no one wanted to see Triple H vs. Kevin Nash" but say that they would want to see the NWO. Since you mention Hogan later, I'll expand upon him at that time. Same with RVD, who I don't think we will ever agree on.

Yet still showed up countless times on TV, most of the time publicized, either in a commisioner role, or a pseudo GM. Foley might have been done wrestling, but let's be honest, at this point, no one wanted to see Foley wrestle. However, him giving his promos, and acting as an authority figure was good enough.

Not the point. The point is, Foley wasn't WRESTLING anymore. Meaning, he can't be a main event draw for a Pay Per View. He was a draw in that sense. Try and argue with me whether Foley (as Cactus Jack) vs. Triple H at Royal Rumble 2000 was a draw? It was, because that rivalry was done well. No longer though did Triple H have this big draw to work with though. He was Commish and making appearances, but he sure as hell wasn't main eventing shows anymore.

Yet was still on television every week, during Triple H's run of dominance.

But not quite main eventing Pay Per Views. Again, the point I was making was that the men who main evented basically every Pay Per View for a 3 year period were all no longer doing so on a consistent basis, leaving a bunch of holes for main event performers.

But that, again, didn't happen until 2003, in which point, he was put ove ron Smackdown, built up a little bit, and fed to, who was it again? Oh yeah, Brock Lesnar.

I will never argue that Rock didn't put people over, because he always did. He also put over Goldberg right off the bat, mind you. And I don't think you'd argue that a win over Rock doesn't mean anything, because it always did. Thus, when Goldberg got that win, he wasn't "buried" as some on this thread have said. Goldberg started hot and had a better run than people give him credit for. By the way, this is what I was talking about earlier. You neglected my points about his run because you probably just didn't have an argument for it. That's fine, but at least say "I agree with you here".

Well, considering the fact that I just showed how all of these stars, in some fashion, still were a part of the program, that clearly isn't it. Also, you did forget plenty of names, Hulk Hogan being one of them, but oh well, we'll just forget the biggest superstar in the history of wrestling, right? :rolleyes:

If you are going to make points, at least be fair, bro. You criticize Nash and Steiner for being over the hill later but you are selling Hogan? I know he is the biggest star in history. I'm not a fucking idiot. Hell, I still have my Hogan cartoons with Nikolai Volkoff from my childhood. That doesn't make him 30 again in 2002. If you criticize Hall and Nash for being old, you must do the same thing for Hogan. And by the way, Hogan got a run with the undisputed title despite being on his last legs. And who put him over? Oh yea, Triple H!

This idea that the WWE had no stars isn't exactly true, man. It had plenty of stars, and the potential to make stars, once Angle, Taker, and Triple H's time was done in the main event. Angle took the time to build up Brock Lesnar, Eddie, Chris Benoit, and the like. The Undertaker took this time to also start building up Lesnar, try building Test who confuses me but ok, Muhammed Hassan though that was admittedly later, Jeff Hardy, and the like. All of these wrestlers took the time to build up superstars around them, who could potentially be in the main event. And look who didn't: Triple H.

Again, you are being a gigantic hypocrite. In another post, you said that Benoit and Guerrero should have NEVER been given the title, yet you are somehow applauding their pushes as evidence against Triple H in this one? Pick a side buddy! Only Lesnar should count in this argument, and Paul Heyman was behind this one. We all know that Heyman had "his guys", and this is the one that clicked more than the others. Although, I think you must admit that Lesnar was marketable from the start. A man that size with that athletic ability had to be worth something right? I think even your nemesis, Triple H saw that. If you are going to argue that Trips shipped him off to Smackdown because of this, I will laugh at you. Over on Smackdown, there were main eventers like Angle, Taker, and Big Show to feud with. On Raw, there was Kane and Trips. Where do you think he had more to do? Blind hatred can make you think funny things.

Well, no. Benoit main evented a one on one match with The Rock at Fully Loaded. The Big Show had main evented before, and was the main event at Wrestlemania 2000, mind you.

I said that Benoit main evented one show, but you are the one saying he shouldn't because he never deserved to be a champion. I think we can both agree that Benoit was best served in the upper midcard, stealing the show with great matches. without needing to be fighting for the title. As for Big Show, I never argued that he's not a main eventer, but I could certainly argue that he's not seen as a draw. He was pushed like crazy in 2000 and built up to main event Wrestlemania, but it was felt that he couldn't do it alone, so Rock and Foley were added to the mix. That's neither here nor there, because we both know that a 500 pound man at over 7 feet is going to be in the main event or near it. He just shouldn't be there all the time.

And don't you the problem here? Instead of legitimately trying to build up these superstars like Angle and Taker had done, he buried them all, really. The point here is that stars somewhat need to be made off the backs of bigger stars. The stars that Triple H chose to make, Batista and Randy Orton, were at the time people close to his clique, much like Nash and Michaels were, that could become political allies. Even then, Orton would soon be buried by Trips after having what should have been a career defining moment.

I agree that stars are made off the back of other stars.......usually. You could argue that most big stars have a tough time with it, and I'm not saying Triple H isn't included. My point has been that he isn't exactly this evil man on the level of satan that you are making him out to be. As for Orton and Batista, these are 2 guys who were quite different. Orton was destined to be a star from day 1 and most within the company knew it. However, he was destined to be a "man of destiny" babyface, as it didn't work very well, thus the reason why his push was derailed until he turned heel again. Batista is different though. He was not necessarily seen to be a moneymaker but Trips and Flair must have seen something, because he became a big money player. Had nothing to do with Batista kissing ass, but had everything to do with Triple H seeing potential in him and helping elevate him. Calling him "in the clique" is stupid because he was picked to be there. He earned that and got the ultimate rub from "the jerk" in your eyes with 3 straight wins over Trips. By the way, this is at the time Cena becomes champ and I argue that the business starts to build younger stars (or at least newer ones).

But the problem is, those stars from WCW did eventually come, Yanks. Flair, Hogan, Nash, Hall, all except Sting came aboard WWE. Did they come at the Invasion period? No, but keep in mind that Triple H was hurt during that period, too. Eventually, all these stars would come, and even then, there were plenty of stars from WCW, Booker T being one of them. Maybe he was less of a star, but people could tell he had the talent to be a main event performer.

Right, and we discussed this. The NWO guys were older and you don't like Nash because he's Trips' buddy, Flair is old, but served to elevate talent with evolution (but you probably hate that because it's with Trips), and Goldberg got a big year out of the WWE. Remember that WCW had built no new stars of their own sans Goldberg, so many of their stars were former WWE stars who were now into their 40s or 50s. If you want to argue that DDP or Steiner were stars, fine, but at the end, those "stars" were drawing 2's in the ratings and ridiculously awful PPV buyrates. Thus, you can say that "people can tell" in regards to Booker, but he had never proven it. Argue that he couldn't since he was on a sinking ship, but I will counter that he only got that push because of being the best of a mediocre crop. Keep in mind his big feud in WCW was with Jeff fucking Jarrett! I like Booker, but let's not confuse him for being bigger than he was.

Yeah, I think only one guy blamed Triple H for Taz' burial, and I don't agree with it. That said, it's obvious you've never watched a lick of ECW man. Taz in his prime was probably more of a bad ass than Goldberg was at his time. Was he short? Yeah, but it didn't mean the guy wasn't skilled and intimidating. Benoit was only 5'9", and he was impressive. This notion that height killed Taz is just wrong on so many levels. What killed Taz was that he couldn't bring his "Fuck the World" Persona into what had become a now publicly traded company.

So Taz couldn't say "F the world", but Stacy Carter could flash her titties on pay per view? Do you not remember what era this was? The problem was absolutely at least partially his size. Goldberg can be a monster anywhere because he's like 6'5" and jacked. Taz had the music, the towel, and everything else to be a badass, until he gets in the ring and is staring UP at every other superstar. Visually, it's a tough effect to sell. Again you bring up Benoit but again I have to remind you that he shouldn't be a main eventer. Taz is quite similar to Benoit in that sense. I would have had no problem with Taz as a midcard champion, but anything more would have been tough. Great debut though, and he beat the one guy who he didn't look as puny next to (a 5'10" Angle).

There's numerous ECW marks, I being one, that will correctly point out that you clearly are speaking out of your ass right now. You really believe that RVD didn't deserve the ECW Title? Paul Heyman was an idiot not to give it to him, and everyone knows that. I would have given it to him during one of Shane Douglas' reigns, but that's neither here nor there. If you look back on that Invasion, you know who was the most over guy with the crowd, on either side? It was Rob Van Dam. He was so over, they had to make him a tweener in a heel group. He was part of the Heel ECW, yet he played the role of a face, because everyone fucking loved him.

I agree actually that he could have easliy been ECW champ, but he was never given that opportunity and thus, just because some fans believe it to be true, doesn't mean it was reality. Even if it was, we're still talking about a smaller promotion. Now, I have a huge problem with the "over during the invasion" argument. To me, that actually proves why RVD should NOT be pushed. Hear me out. Every performer needs to have range in what they put out there. RVD was supposed to be an invader who was trying to take down the WWE who never gave him a chance. He should have been angry and vicious. He was not. He presented himself as a face and was treated as such, but he needed to be a heel. I would argue that his inability to play a role had a role in fucking up that entire angle. I mean if ECW's biggest invader can't get over as a heel, how is the angle going to work? Call it what you will and say that "people just couldn't boo him", but remember that just because me and you watched ECW (and yes, I did watch it, I'm from NY and actually have been to the bingo hall in Philly), doesn't mean most of the WWE audience did, so if he came in a vicious heel, he would have been treated as such by 90 percent of the fans, if not more.

So yeah, don't know where you're getting this shit from, but if you're going to rip ECW, at least pretend like you have a clue of what you're talking about.

I do know what I'm talking about, and I shared my credentials before. It's irrelevant and a judgment on your part so we'll just move on.

Oh Good, I thought you were just portraying yourself as a WWE mark, who wasn't watching the competition, though ECW easily influenced WWE in its Attitude Days.

Again, irrelevant. I know ECW influenced WWE, we all know that. That doesn't mean that because ideas and perhaps the "attitude" were from ECW that all ECW stars were bigger than they actually were. It just doesn't. And I'm not a WWE mark. I'm actually a bit of a wrestling historian, so even if I missed shows over the years, I have done reading, research, and the like to make sure I am educated for this sort of matter. Hell, I write about wrestling for a living. If I didn't have the knowledge off at least the 3 main competitors of the 90s, I'd be out on my ass in that regard.

Yeah, you're still forgetting RVD, but that's ok, you've proven you're just not going to be realistic about how big of a star he was. While we're also here, I'm just going to stop you right in your tracks. You talk about the WWE Draft, yet you're going to have to include the following facts.

We're not going to agree on this. RVD was fun to watch in the ring, but I'm not sure about being a big star. Maybe a title run in 2003 could have worked, but I'm not so sure. If you want to say he's such a big star, then why wasn't he shipped off to Smackdown so as not to overshadow Triple H as your conspiracy theory states? Again, I put RVD in the same category as Benoit and Guerrero. Career midcarders who work fun matches, but lack something more to be considered top draws.

1. That about three months after the draft, for unknown reasons (Read: Triple H didn't want to work with them) The Undertaker, Chris Benoit, and Eddie Guerrero were shipped off to Smackdown. There goes one of your proven draws on Raw, and two stars who were well over in the mid card, and were capable of the main event, which they were slowly built into.

We're on this again, huh. You sure use Benoit and Guerrero a lot for a guy who says they shouldn't be champions and weren't good champions. It's the same as RVD as I've been saying. And if that is the best the product had to offer at that time, you know the product was lacking stars. Creating THOSE guys as stars wasn't going to do the business any wonders. Give me numbers all you want, but once Cena and Batista and Orton got to the main event, there just weren't a ton of great main eventers.

2. Brock Lesnar was also traded off to Smackdown right after his WWE Title win over The Rock, which meant Raw needed it's own title, which went to Triple H, which spawned the Dominance Run of Triple H. Ok, you can continue your spin now. I'll just be to correct what you royally fuck up.

Not sure what the point of this was, other than to show Triple H getting handed the title, which I have never agreed with myself. A tournament would have made sense, and I have argued that for years. And I like how at the beginning, you said that my thoughts were cohesive and well thought, but now I am royally fucking up. Wow, the tune has changed.

I'll tell you what you do, because you have so many fucking pay per views to work with; you have both. Shawn and Trips had their feud, and a nostlagia run as Champion for Shawn, which was uneventful, but ok. Now that Shawn has had that, put him to the mid card, and have him put over people like RVD, Edge, Kane; people who actually needed the win. But no, that never fucking happened. And if we recall, between that Summerslam match you talk about, and the Elimination Chamber, Triple H had already pretty much killed the credibility off RVD and Kane, doing so by allowing them to get the wins in tag matches, but never proving in a one on one contest, that they weren't good enough to beat Triple H.

If I'm not mistaken, RVD, Edge, and Kane were all faces at that time, right? Thus, Shawn would have to have face/face matches in the midcard, which isn't typical of the WWE. Hell it's not typical anywhere. Hindsight is 20/20 though, but you forget that Shawn had just come back and no one knew how long he'd hang on. This was a guy who main evented for a couple of years and retired in what should have been his prime, and his name value was greater than anyone on Raw, perhaps even Triple H. That return was the biggest thing of that time period, but after ONE feud, you want him to be mediocre? Seems odd. I'll give you Kane if you want, because Kane is always right there near the main event, but even still, all you are arguing is that a Shawn/Kane feud could have been good in 03? Maybe, but you could say that feuds are missed every year ever. That doesn't mean that a guy is completely misused though. I wish you were running WWE back then, though. Would have been interesting to see you explain using one of your huge names making a huge return to job to midcarders and lose credibility.

Yeah, this whole "not drawing thing" is bullshit on your part. Benoit and Jericho were working in a time period in which the booker, Paul Heyman, decided to sell tickets, you should have long, well done matches on Raw and Smackdown, wsuch as Austin and Benoit, Austin and Jericho, and what have you. It made for good television, but there was a problem; no one's going to pay for a match on PPV, when they can get it for free. Paul's theory was proven wrong, and Benoit and Jericho were blamed, because no one believed that Austin could do any wrong. So when you say "unproven draws", again, you're not giving any fair justice to either Benoit or Jericho.

I actually don't think Jericho is a bad draw. I never said that. In fact, I'd argue that he's a good draw with the right pairing, like Rock. His stuff with Rock was great and I'm pretty sure, though I don't have the numbers, that their stuff did well. However, now you are using Austin which is completely irrelevant to your "Triple H is evil" thesis. I agree that PPV matches on TV are stupid, but my argument is that the time period in question was a bad drawing period in general due to lack of stars, while you are arguing that Triple H is responsible for that. Let's stay on target here.

[QUOTE}Not when you can work in the ring like Booker. See, here's where you're wrong; Booker T didn't look, or work, like he was forty, and the truth was, his age didn't start to show until he reached 2006, I want to say. That said, there were plenty of feuds like that. Kane's a perfect example, but he couldn't draw, right? His bout with Stone Cold at the 1998 KotR was the third highest bought PPV, only behind Wrestlemania and Summerslam. So I'm not sure where this notion that Kane can't draw is put into place. Still, he had a similar feud where it was built up directly for Kane to win. And when it didn't happen, people tuned out.[/QUOTE]

Booker is debatable, and I do think he had something to offer, but I still don't think he is nearly on the level of someone like Rock, who he was certainly emulating. He was good, and probably should have gotten more of a shot in 2003, but shit happens. That's one guy that they could have given a shot, and if he flopped, you take the title off and move on. As for Kane, I didn't' question his drawing, you did! You said that Raw was devoid of drawing power. You said "all the big stars were on Smackdown because Triple H didn't want to be overshadowed". Now you are arguing that Kane is a huge draw. Hypocrisy is running wild, brother! I like Kane, and he always seems to do a good job with whatever feud he is given, and I believe it was right to give him that main event program. Should he have won? Maybe. We can argue for the rest of time who should have won EVERY PPV title match over the last 30 years, because builds are often there and not capitalized on. Hell, people STILL argue about MDM never getting the WWE title, but sometimes it doesn't happen. Keep in mind though, when a face is built up, you are SUPPOSED to believe and want them to win. A good heel prevents that by any means necessary and gets more heat as a result. Perhaps that is the case here.

But no one wanted to see it. Again, it's a clear case of the WWE not listening to it's audience.

So the WCW main eventers were big draws, but now no one wants to see it? I think you could fairly say that Steiner got a similar push to Booker on WCW, and while Steiner was a little older and a lot more out of shape in comparison to Booker, his name value was similar, if not greater than Booker. Steiner was around for years, and was a key name in the NWO period. I think people DID want to see it, even if you didn't. It was one of those WCW/WWE matchups that people always pictured. True, it was a few years after it would have been greater, but still.

.75. (Unforgiven)
.77 (No Mercy)
.87 (Armageddon)
.95 (Royal Rumble Down from 1.6 from the last year. Yes, it was driven down a whole .55)

Doesn't look too bad there, does it? I mean, yes, the numbers are decreased from last year, but still not horrific, right? Let's go a little further

You know what all those numbers were, Yanks? Those were the buy rates of all the PPV events in 2003 that Triple H either main evented, or defended his title at. If you really want me to go into 2004, you're going to find the results don't exactly bode well for you, as events where Triple H was not champion, and Benoit was, actually did better numbers. I don't know what this tells you, but to me, it says plain and simple, Triple H is not a draw. So yeah, hope you had fun with that one.

Ok, Mr. facts and figures, I think you missed MY WHOLE POINT. This is about the lack of star power in the WWE at this point. Most guys need a solid counter point to main event a show with. Let's say Trips had Taker on Raw. Outside of Angle/Lesnar, who will sell a show on Smackdown? There really wasn't enough stars to separate the 2 shows. That would be my main argument. There were a lot of wrestlers at the time, but not a lot of stars. This is the beginning of the "spreading to thin" ideal that plagued WWE. If the brandsplit never occured, the main event would be the guys we mentioned that were draws, and very few that would seep through. With the split, top guys had to work with some people that just weren't up to par. To bring this back, guys like Steiner, Booker T, RVD, they were nice wrestlers, but if there was no brandsplit, they wouldn't be in the main event. Your figures merely prove that Trips had no one to draw WITH. Keep in mind, he's a heel. People pay to see heels lose. Thus, the face has to be a draw that people want to see win. If Booker T was the star you say, shouldn't figures shoot up when he main evented with Trips? Heels only draw if there's a face people want to see beat them. Until you had really Batista, that wasn't really there. So don't blame Triple H. Blame the lack of major faces. Back when Stone Cold, Mick Foley, and Rock were fighting Triple H, those matches drew because people loved them and hated Triple H so much that they would pay to see if he'd lose.

See argument above for as to why you're wrong.

Yeah.... The numbers really say otherwise, Son.

The numbers don't lie, Yanks. Triple H was not a draw, yet he was allowed to stay with the title, merely because he could argue it was the fault of everyone else the numbers didn't do well. Statistics of consistency don't lie, and the constant in the equation was that when numbers were going down, Triple H was champion. Still, all of the guys he worked with were blamed, and wouldn't reach the main event for two years, at least. Triple H not only was free of the blame for abysmal numbers, he was able to pin it on others, because he's Triple H, and he's the golden boy.

Nice Try.

Again, you are all about figures, but you forget that figures don't mean a whole hell of a lot when you actually consider the landscape. Business was down anyway and it had little to do with just one man. That's like blaming baseball losses on the best player who is playing well but the rest of the team stinks. That's simply not fair. But you could say "well figures show that the team has stunk", but ignore the fact that this guy has played well and should not factor into why they stink. That's why I'm not a figures guy. Never have been, never will be. Simply look at the product of that time. Tell me if there was immense star power. I understand that the other 2 biggest stars were on Smackdown, but that's it. Other than that, it's all speculation as to who could get built up and who couldn't or didn't. This is just Triple H hatred directed at the time period for when he garnered most of it. Now, I'm no Triple H mark. Hell, I think he's a great worker but he's never been one of my favorites. But I can't blame him for most of these things. If you honestly believe that more talent was on Smackdown, that's fine and that can be your argument. Don't then claim that Raw had just as much talent but was buried though. Those are conflicting statements. Either the talent was evenly distributed or it wasn't. Your original argument was that it wasn't but now you are telling me that Raw had RVD and Booker which are talented. You need to pick a side and stay with it. I respect your opinion, but you aren't true to one argument. Hell, even if you were, I still don't think I'd agree with you, but at least you put forth a great effort to try and prove your point to me. I respect that, but that doesn't mean we'll ever agree on this.

Never seen anyone dissect Triple H's bs so accurately. I've always felt HHH intentionally kept the best workers on SD so he could have the spotlight to himself on RAW during that period. Raw was filled with mostly ex wcw and ecw talent who Vince was never going to get behind. He only pushes his own stars. Booker, RVD, Goldberg, Nash, Stiener, they were all on Raw and were never a risk to Triple H's spot.

Let's not forget what happened to Orton. He was the one guy on Raw at the time who started to emerge as a legitimate threat to taking the top spot from Trips. Then all of a sudden they killed all his momentum as a heel and turned him face, thus sidelining his main event status for several years and getting him sent to Smackdown.

.75. (Unforgiven)
.77 (No Mercy)
.87 (Armageddon)

Lets break the numbers down even further actually to prove that you're using them to be harsh on Triple H instead of understand the lack of star power in the WWE at the time.

Unforgiven 2001 which was headlined by Austin vs. Kurt Angle drew a .82 buyrate. This show was stacked with some of the biggest drawing talent in history. Austin, The Rock, Kane and The Undertaker. One year later, Unforgiven 2002, is headlined by The Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar and did a .75 buyrate. This card did not feature Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Rock. The remainder of the card, aside from RVD vs. Triple H, was filled with filler matches that had very little build. Benoit vs. Angle was clustered together at the last minute and Eric Bischoff's HLA angle really didn't go anywhere (although it was quite entertaining).

No Mercy 2001 pulled a .80 buyrate with a card that once again featured Steve Austin and Kurt Angle in the main event. This time it was a triple threat with RVD. This time the addition of RVD in his first WWE ppv main even did not generate additional buys. They actually went down. On top of this, the card featured a WCW title match between The Rock and Chris Jericho during the height of the WCW/ECW Invasion angle. One year later, No Mercy featured solid wrestling but once again was main evented by The Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar. While the numbers were lower from the year before, the buyrates actually went up from the previous month. No Mercy pulled a .77. Where the year before they lost sales from month to month, they gained momentum with a far less star studded roster. On top of this there was no over arching angle like the previous year.

The Survivor Series in 2001 was headlined by one of the biggest elimination matches in WWF history. They concluded the nearly six month angle with a match that came down to Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock. Of course they're going to do high buyrates. One year later, the first ever Elimination Chamber Match didn't draw as well as they had hoped. However, once again, there was no Steve Austin, no Rock, and no Undertaker.

The same point can be made about all of the 2002 ppvs. The one I will conclude with is Wrestlemania. The oddest thing about Wrestlemania X8 is that while the main event ended up being Triple H vs. Chris Jericho, the card was being sold on the NWO and Hulk Hogan vs. The Rock. So if you want to spread blame you can say that The Rock and Hogan didn't draw. Oddly enough, one year later at Wrestlemania XIX, main evented by Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle drew even less. This time, the show included a star studded cast and still couldn't pull up from the previous year. It wasn't until Wrestlemania 21 and 22 (both headlined by Triple H) that those numbers turned around and surpassed 2001 Austin/Rock numbers.

Look, it's plainly obvious that you don't like Triple H. That's fine. I'm not here to convince you that you should. However, to place blame on him for the down turn of popularity in pro wrestling is absolutely insane. No heel has ever drawn without an equal babyface. Piper and Hogan, Austin and The Rock history shows this. Triple H was an amazing heel with nobody around to draw with.

Note to self, never argue with Tenta; he's got numbers!!

I see it from Triple H's POV here:

He was no doubt clinging to the spot that he had, his wife was creative head and the people under discussion between 2002-2005 had no proven drawing power. (exception Goldberg)
He came back, realized he was finally THE top dog and then proceeded to go into cruise control. He was and is a very good worker, great on the mic; the total package and deserved the spotlight.

However, I do kinda see the lack of good fast-paced workers on Raw (exception Benoit 2004) who would really push Triple H and could go over. But later, as is the cycle of life, he jobbed consecutive WrestleManias and did have a hand in pushing two breakout superstars.

Now let's dispel a few things:

KANE:

Katie f*king Vick!!!
You think they'd give the title to an alleged murderer and rapist!!!
Creative gets red rep for being ******ed (kinda like me when I suggested Matt Hardy for WM27 main event with Edge...thank you TLC :/)

RVD:

No question when the invasion started he was THE MOST OVER guy on the other side. I had no idea who the f*ck he was, but the crowd popping for him did make me go 'this guy must be good'.
That being said, other facets of his were held back by creative;
mainly his mic-skills.

He was given this gimmick of a Zen master-chilled out guy and Trips killed his character in 5 seconds when he said at Unforgiven :
" You know what that means to me(RVD's gimmick), you've got no desire, no passion!!" and trust me, this hit home with a lotta fans and RVD was hence perceived ...lazy! (He wasn't/ isn't I KNOW I KNOW!)

Unification of IC title:

Creative's idea to shake things up.
A bad bad fail as really without a belt, the storylines were always gonna look weak based on just respect, rivalry, women and jealousy in the mid-card.

So really, points can be raised that Triple H did deserve to beat them as he was to be built as the big bad wolf and then lose to the next...red riding hood (sorry totally mucked that up)
But you get it right??

He was just building his own marquee value, so the next the guy that beats him FAIR & SQUARE is the next big superstar.....and that's exactly what happened!!

There's also this idea that Stephanie McMahon was booking Raw. At the time I believe she was actually booking Smackdown. This explains the constant tension between Paul Heyman and herself. So the claims that Stephanie was booking her husband to be dominant is also insane.

The other reason for Triple H not jobbing during that era was the effect that it takes on the work you can potentially do. Ric Flair jobbed to everyone under the sun throughout the late 80's and 90's. Early on it really helped establish the likes of Sting and Ricky Steamboat. However, the more he did it, the less impact it had. Beating the top heel in the company has to mean something. It has to say that you have arrived. It can't be handed out simply because someone's getting a pop this week.

Heyman played politics, and I have a funny feeling so did Hayes for a long time. The only difference was that they played politics for "their" boys, and their boys are loved by the IWC. Thus, they never really get called out for it.

I'm all ready to sit down and go nuts here, then I catch you saying this...

...and all was well again.

First of all, politics are the name of the game. This has been true since even before McMahon's time. This isn't to say it's still a great way to treat people and their careers, nor is it a great way to run a company or book a program. I just wish more people would keep this in mind when discussing the product, because I can't stand folk who act as if their boy's shit don't stink, or react as if this kind of behavior is unique. Do I wish things were a bit more fair backstage? Sure. I just don't expect that to change anytime soon.

So, with that off my chest, we bring ourselves to HHH. Even as a fan of the guy, I'm no fool. Whether because he's related, or because he'd been a good "team player" for him, McMahon certainly protects HHH and keeps him on top when possible. In fact, it's this protection that I'm going to turn against you here Tenta; HHH had protection enough from on high, there was never a need to keep good workers away from him (other than, hey, he's kind of a dick). I don't believe he kept the proven draws away from him, indeed I believe that they kept away from him intentionally. Each of them had enough draw on their own (or, in the case of a few, had someone backstage who had that kind of power) that they could request to be on the other show to avoid his bullshit. Guys like Booker T and Steiner weren't fed to HHH so he could use them as a scapegoat, they were sent to him because they didn't have a friend backstage looking out for them going "don't do this, you idiot!".

To me, it seems clear that McMahon was going to put HHH where he was regardless of whether it drew or not. HHH may have spun blame each time a PPV he headlined bombed, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to claim that he picked on the "weaker" ones intentionally. Of course, what this all hinges is on is whether McMahon is really that hot for HHH, or whether he's just that susceptable to HHH's whispering in his ear.

For the record, not many other posters challenge the way you think about and view the product like Tenta does. This thread is DirtyJose approved. Whatever that's fucking worth.

Well, yes, it isn't as though this in unheard of. Must I remind you of The Kliq, Hogan, all other political plays in wrestling. Maybe Triple H didn't realize he was killing business, but he was truly doing it for personal gain, yes.

Yes, yes, how dare I believe Vince McMahon wouldn't have a soft spot for his son in law? My God, what must I be thinking? :rolleyes:

Yeah, that would work if the buy rates and ratings for Triple H's run on top was, you know, a draw. Do I need to point you to my earlier numbers? Right, I think we're both aware that Triple H was a consistent non-draw.

But people didn't pay to see him lose. His match with Goldberg drew a .46 Buy Rate. Did you read that aloud? A .46. The Survivor Series match between these two drew a .7. That is done almost twice it's number from two years ago. So yeah nice try there, really.

Yes, yes, he lost to his bodybuilder friend, once again cementing that he also brought his friends in to work the top of the card, and keep his little Clique there. I believe that was one of my charges levied out on him. Nice try, but pretending that Triple H is a draw, in spite of the numbers you have available, is the equivalency of this.

lalala_cant_hear_cat.jpg

I’d totally give you credit for those lovely numbers if you weren’t using them entirely out of context or forgetting other numbers and variables that flesh out the entire picture and therefore tear down your arguments. Many people have already done that for me in posts above so I won’t repeat a lot of the same, but seriously, your arguments are really flawed here.

You seem to be forgetting the fact that WWE lost several of their major draws and popularity as a whole as the company had begun to decline during that time, so to put that blame on Triple H alone is ridiculous. Also, there are very few true DRAWS in wrestling and Kane, Rob Van Dam, Booker T, Scott Steiner have never been any of them.

You’d have a point if the buy rates remained extremely low, or if they actually declined each and every PPV throughout the course of this time. They didn’t. They steadily rose each and every PPV from the one before it in most cases. This could very well prove that Triple H was being an effective heel and by continuing to win and keep his title he was making people want to see him (and pay to see him) finally lose to a credible face they could get behind, which wasn’t there at the time. The booking was effective, even if you want to claim the buy rates were low compared to other years when WWE had some of the biggest draws in the history of the business on their PPVs.

And the history of Triple H’s career, not just the numbers for this piece of his career as you want to toss out there, prove Triple H can be a draw and him headlining has had some high buy rates in the past so therefore it goes to the face he’s being put against in the feud. A heel can only draw if the face is someone the fans want to see beat him and really care about, which actually proves that all the faces he was put against at the time weren’t over. Yet you proved by your own words that when Triple H finally lost the title to Benoit and allowed Benoit to run with it Benoit had some higher buy rates then with Triple H involved, which tells you that Benoit was a face people wanted to see and that Triple H was willing to drop the title to him because of it.

This whole Triple H was sabotaging RAW and keeping the main event to himself to bury other talent is so ludicrous I can’t even begin to say why, and your own numbers work against you when you break them down. Especially since Triple H has had no problem putting over those who he’s either believed actually were/are future stars and credible main eventers that would benefit the company (such as Benoit, Batista, Jeff Hardy, to name a few) or those who actually did become draws and true main eventers. His judgment was proven right time and time again actually, when you look at the stars he has put over compared to those he hasn’t.

Well I appreciate that you appreciate my effort, but from this paragraph, I thought we'd see some agreement and a few points argued. That isn't exactly what followed, is it? Actually, it look more like you criticized most points with the same argument and completely ignored some of my points by not even saying a word about them. It would have been nice for you to include even the points you can't disagree with. That would show that you can admit when someone makes a good point and still disagree with others.

My apologies, just eh way I debate. I get so worked up into, I wouldn't say posting, but more the competition. I do have a habit of being far too critical, not because I don't agree with some points, but Hell.... Why say when you're opponent's right? :lmao:

In all seriousness, and I'll put this out there for everyone; I did invite you to the Debater's League we have going on here, and I did so, for all of the best posters, I feel, we have on this site, in terms of debating. I wouldn't do that if I didn't think you weren't good, trust me.

If you read the rest of my post, you'd kind of see why I believe these people aren't draws. Not to mention that you criticize Nash (and conceivably Hall because they are Triple H's friends), but you are lauding the NWO as huge draws. You do realize that Nash is one of the key cogs of the NWO right? As in, he and Hall started the group?

Well, yeah, as a collective. I agree with what you're saying, however, I'd also like to point out you're taking the nWo as a collective unit, which absolutely sells. On their own? They're really nothing more than old men who have issues working at this point. Seen Nash on TNA lately?

No, I do agree with you here, that Hall and Nash combined, as the nWo are draws. By themselves? Eh, I'm not exactly clamoring for Kevin Nash in the main event. And judging by the buy rates, nor were WWE fans.

So you can't say that "no one wanted to see Triple H vs. Kevin Nash" but say that they would want to see the NWO. Since you mention Hogan later, I'll expand upon him at that time. Same with RVD, who I don't think we will ever agree on.

Agreed, but again, if Nash were part of the nWo when he got his absolutely inconceivable main event push in 2002, I'd have no qualms, as the nWo collectively was one of the biggest draws in wrestling. Nash by himself? I'm sorry, I'm just not sold on him.

Not the point. The point is, Foley wasn't WRESTLING anymore. Meaning, he can't be a main event draw for a Pay Per View. He was a draw in that sense. Try and argue with me whether Foley (as Cactus Jack) vs. Triple H at Royal Rumble 2000 was a draw? It was, because that rivalry was done well. No longer though did Triple H have this big draw to work with though. He was Commish and making appearances, but he sure as hell wasn't main eventing shows anymore.

No, I get that there, I agree, that it takes away a worker. Taking away a worker is never a good thing. That said, even with Foley as commisioner, the WWE was still doing big numbers, meaning it wasn't absolutely necessary to have that big a star as Foley in a wrestling matter. Also, keep in mind that Trips was starting to work more with Angle and Jericho, and, really important, staying away from The Heavyweight Title. They let The Rock carry that capacity, and The Rock was the one on the marquee.

But not quite main eventing Pay Per Views. Again, the point I was making was that the men who main evented basically every Pay Per View for a 3 year period were all no longer doing so on a consistent basis, leaving a bunch of holes for main event performers.

I mean, yeah, we can agree here, I don't mind that. Still, Stone Cold was a regular member of the PPVs. They had him fight Bisch one time, they had him doing other things along those lines. Was he steal headlinging every PPV? Yeah, he wasn't, but he was still offered on the card, as well, more often than not.

I will never argue that Rock didn't put people over, because he always did. He also put over Goldberg right off the bat, mind you. And I don't think you'd argue that a win over Rock doesn't mean anything, because it always did. Thus, when Goldberg got that win, he wasn't "buried" as some on this thread have said. Goldberg started hot and had a better run than people give him credit for. By the way, this is what I was talking about earlier. You neglected my points about his run because you probably just didn't have an argument for it. That's fine, but at least say "I agree with you here".

Wait, which points, about Rock or Goldberg?

The only reason I threw out some Goldberg points were, well, it had nothing to do with our main point of argument, Triple H. We agree here that Goldberg was sorely misused in WWE, but that's really another thread for another time. Actually, that may be coming up as soon as I finish this thread.

If you are going to make points, at least be fair, bro. You criticize Nash and Steiner for being over the hill later but you are selling Hogan? I know he is the biggest star in history. I'm not a fucking idiot. Hell, I still have my Hogan cartoons with Nikolai Volkoff from my childhood. That doesn't make him 30 again in 2002. If you criticize Hall and Nash for being old, you must do the same thing for Hogan.

Big difference.... Hogan, by himself, will always draw fans. He's always going to get some sort of nostalgia pop. Hall and Nash, alone? They don't have that same ability. They can;t get fans to care about them individually.

So yeah, I'm sticking to my guns on Hogan, here. People cared, and loved, that he was back, and for a good while, people paid to see Hogan. People might have paid to see Nash and Hall together, but not by themselves. And, well, people just don't pay for Steiner, period.

And by the way, Hogan got a run with the undisputed title despite being on his last legs. And who put him over? Oh yea, Triple H!

Agreed here. He gave Hogan one last run with the title

Again, you are being a gigantic hypocrite.

Glad to see we're getting into name calling here.

In another post, you said that Benoit and Guerrero should have NEVER been given the title, yet you are somehow applauding their pushes as evidence against Triple H in this one? Pick a side buddy!

Where did I ever say they didn't deserve a main event push? Did I ever say that?

I said, they probably didn't deserve long runs with the titles. At least, that's what I meant. Which is true, Benoit as champions for a while would have been good, but not for six months. Benoit and Guerrero could have been in the main event, they were well over enough. I just wouldn't make them the face of the company, as Paul Heyman was pushing for them to be.

Only Lesnar should count in this argument, and Paul Heyman was behind this one. We all know that Heyman had "his guys", and this is the one that clicked more than the others. Although, I think you must admit that Lesnar was marketable from the start. A man that size with that athletic ability had to be worth something right? I think even your nemesis, Triple H saw that. If you are going to argue that Trips shipped him off to Smackdown because of this, I will laugh at you. Over on Smackdown, there were main eventers like Angle, Taker, and Big Show to feud with. On Raw, there was Kane and Trips. Where do you think he had more to do? Blind hatred can make you think funny things.

I'm going to also say that I think the Brand Extension was a horrible decision, and very short sighted for the WWE. Again, if you have main eventers over on Smackdown, why would you keep them all on Smackdown, your supposed "B" show. If Raw is your "A" program, the one you divulge most of the time, effort, and resources to, wouldn't it make sense to actually, you know, put your top star on that program. That's more my point. Brock Lesnar was the face of the company, period, and only appeared on the Company's top show for three months, before being sent away. Besides that, I also fail to see why it makes more sense to put the face of the company on the show with more main event superstars. If a show is lacking in superstars, why would you send away one of your biggest, who theoretically could draw in bigger numbers, to the other show?

Right, because Trips had it all set over on Raw :rolleyes:

I said that Benoit main evented one show, but you are the one saying he shouldn't because he never deserved to be a champion. I think we can both agree that Benoit was best served in the upper midcard, stealing the show with great matches. without needing to be fighting for the title. As for Big Show, I never argued that he's not a main eventer, but I could certainly argue that he's not seen as a draw. He was pushed like crazy in 2000 and built up to main event Wrestlemania, but it was felt that he couldn't do it alone, so Rock and Foley were added to the mix. That's neither here nor there, because we both know that a 500 pound man at over 7 feet is going to be in the main event or near it. He just shouldn't be there all the time.

Why shouldn't a seven footer be in the main event? Andre always was, in his heyday. Still, again, this has nothing to do with Trips, just quanitfying other wrestlers, so this is another topic, another day.

I agree that stars are made off the back of other stars.......usually. You could argue that most big stars have a tough time with it, and I'm not saying Triple H isn't included. My point has been that he isn't exactly this evil man on the level of satan that you are making him out to be. As for Orton and Batista, these are 2 guys who were quite different. Orton was destined to be a star from day 1 and most within the company knew it. However, he was destined to be a "man of destiny" babyface, as it didn't work very well, thus the reason why his push was derailed until he turned heel again. Batista is different though. He was not necessarily seen to be a moneymaker but Trips and Flair must have seen something, because he became a big money player. Had nothing to do with Batista kissing ass, but had everything to do with Triple H seeing potential in him and helping elevate him. Calling him "in the clique" is stupid because he was picked to be there. He earned that and got the ultimate rub from "the jerk" in your eyes with 3 straight wins over Trips. By the way, this is at the time Cena becomes champ and I argue that the business starts to build younger stars (or at least newer ones).

Agreed, this is the point where new stars were created for the future. That said, I don't know how you can;t call him a part of Triple H's clique, when even today, Batista still cites Triple H and Flair as the men who saved his career. Batista was nothing more than a strong guy on Smackdown before he cozied up to HHH and Flair, and because HHH saw this as a guy who could stay close, and keep him at the top of the company, he brought in him to the fold, in spite of his weak promo skills, and the fact that he just wasn't that good a worker. Of course, he'd still never be a great worker, and his promos did eventually get better, but I'm not sure how you can;t see Triple H's influence with backstage helping out the guy that, quite frankly, was on the brink of getting released before he made quick friends, real fast.

Right, and we discussed this. The NWO guys were older and you don't like Nash because he's Trips' buddy, Flair is old, but served to elevate talent with evolution (but you probably hate that because it's with Trips), and Goldberg got a big year out of the WWE. Remember that WCW had built no new stars of their own sans Goldberg, so many of their stars were former WWE stars who were now into their 40s or 50s. If you want to argue that DDP or Steiner were stars, fine, but at the end, those "stars" were drawing 2's in the ratings and ridiculously awful PPV buyrates. Thus, you can say that "people can tell" in regards to Booker, but he had never proven it. Argue that he couldn't since he was on a sinking ship, but I will counter that he only got that push because of being the best of a mediocre crop. Keep in mind his big feud in WCW was with Jeff fucking Jarrett! I like Booker, but let's not confuse him for being bigger than he was.

I am going to argue he was going down with a sinking ship, Booker that is, and that it may not have been a great bunch, but still better than you make it out to be. Sting was still an available choice as champion, Flair could have always been brought back if needed. Still, agreed that WCW was not a deep talent pool, but again, that's a WCW thing. I'd also argue that WCW did make stars out of Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, The Big Show, even Eddie, in that people were mostly unaware of them before WCW, and they became big enough to warrant championship runs (eventually) in WWE. The fact that they didn't get them in WCW doesn't mean they weren't stars, just horribly misused.

So Taz couldn't say "F the world", but Stacy Carter could flash her titties on pay per view? Do you not remember what era this was? The problem was absolutely at least partially his size. Goldberg can be a monster anywhere because he's like 6'5" and jacked. Taz had the music, the towel, and everything else to be a badass, until he gets in the ring and is staring UP at every other superstar. Visually, it's a tough effect to sell. Again you bring up Benoit but again I have to remind you that he shouldn't be a main eventer. Taz is quite similar to Benoit in that sense. I would have had no problem with Taz as a midcard champion, but anything more would have been tough. Great debut though, and he beat the one guy who he didn't look as puny next to (a 5'10" Angle).

Again, we're probably never going to agree on Benoit; I say he's fine in the main event, and a transitionary champ. Still, did Stacy ever flash her tits on PPV? Fuck me, I wish I saw that PPV. I'll agree, size would make it so he couldn't get a push in the WWE, because the WWE loves size, which is bullshit. You don't have to a tall man to prove people shouldn't fuck with you. Bruce Lee was only 5'7", and no one would think to mess with him. Again, I get, different form of media, but my point is that the idea that you have to be tall to be a bad ass just doesn't work with me. Again, I'm not the booker.

I agree actually that he could have easliy been ECW champ, but he was never given that opportunity and thus, just because some fans believe it to be true, doesn't mean it was reality. Even if it was, we're still talking about a smaller promotion.

Smaller, financially? Yes, and that's the only way I'd give context to ECW being a smaller company. That said, I have to agree here, though we all know that RVD was the face of a company that, whether you like it or not, had a huge following, that eventually went national because of huge it was. Think about that; an indy promotion became a national promotion, just because of how huge it was, without the benefit of a large benefactor. Have you ever considered that for a second? No other promotion ever had done such a thing.

Now, I have a huge problem with the "over during the invasion" argument. To me, that actually proves why RVD should NOT be pushed. Hear me out. Every performer needs to have range in what they put out there. RVD was supposed to be an invader who was trying to take down the WWE who never gave him a chance. He should have been angry and vicious. He was not. He presented himself as a face and was treated as such, but he needed to be a heel. I would argue that his inability to play a role had a role in fucking up that entire angle. I mean if ECW's biggest invader can't get over as a heel, how is the angle going to work? Call it what you will and say that "people just couldn't boo him", but remember that just because me and you watched ECW (and yes, I did watch it, I'm from NY and actually have been to the bingo hall in Philly), doesn't mean most of the WWE audience did, so if he came in a vicious heel, he would have been treated as such by 90 percent of the fans, if not more

Man, you can't blame the fans for how they feel about a guy. RVD could have killed puppies in the ring, and would have gotten a face pop. If anything, it was the fault of WWE booking, for not realizing what they had, and outright turning him face. Even though Stone Cold could become a turncoat and turn on his promotion, and Kurt Angle could for a little while and join the Invasion. RVD couldn't... Why? Again, the double standard that if it didn't come from Vince's mind, it can't be good.

I do know what I'm talking about, and I shared my credentials before. It's irrelevant and a judgment on your part so we'll just move on.

What credentials? A wrestling fan? Did you, like, have a backstage pass or something? Irrelevant. But no, I'm not share of your credentials. Please, feel free to enlighten the audience on exactly what those "credentials" are. What programs have you been watching, and what exactly were you a fan of?

Again, irrelevant. I know ECW influenced WWE, we all know that. That doesn't mean that because ideas and perhaps the "attitude" were from ECW that all ECW stars were bigger than they actually were. It just doesn't. And I'm not a WWE mark. I'm actually a bit of a wrestling historian, so even if I missed shows over the years, I have done reading, research, and the like to make sure I am educated for this sort of matter. Hell, I write about wrestling for a living. If I didn't have the knowledge off at least the 3 main competitors of the 90s, I'd be out on my ass in that regard.

Fair enough, we have that cleared up. That said, I sense a large tendency to favor a WWE product, which is cool, but again, it's a very revisionist history, one in which the WWE has erased some of the more important names of our time. Harley Race, Terry Funk? Don't mean jack shit because the WWE created them. Dusty Rhodes? Well, he was mad over as the simple common man of America, but we're gonna dress him up in polka dota, and have him dancing with an overweight black woman.

Sorry, had to rant there. Feel free to disregard this from the argument, it's unnecessary.

We're not going to agree on this. RVD was fun to watch in the ring, but I'm not sure about being a big star. Maybe a title run in 2003 could have worked, but I'm not so sure. If you want to say he's such a big star, then why wasn't he shipped off to Smackdown so as not to overshadow Triple H as your conspiracy theory states? Again, I put RVD in the same category as Benoit and Guerrero. Career midcarders who work fun matches, but lack something more to be considered top draws.

Because, quite simply, if you read my first post, Triple H needed someone like an RVD. He needed someone to work good matches with, but if the buy rate turned out low, he could blame it on RVD. Again, you're right in saying that RVD hadn't been given the chance to draw. You'll say that he wasn't a draw, I'll say he wasn't given the chance to prove he was a draw. Triple H could point to the fact he was an ECW guy, and again, because Vince didn't create it, and Vince is the paragon of all wrestling knowledge, it was believed to be true. Not that it was true, because it wasn't, but again, it made the fact that Triple H wasn't a draw that much easier to justify. It wasn't Triple H's fault the PPVs weren't drawing, it was his opponents. Which, mind you, is exactly what you're going to argue. I'm going to get this out of the way right now, in that someone can draw when they're able to put up consistently good numbers with the people they wrestle, if there's interest. There was clearly an interest in RVD, Kane, and the like, in that they were still getting huge pops at the time. The common constant throughout all of this period of bad business for the WWE is Triple H at the time.

We're on this again, huh. You sure use Benoit and Guerrero a lot for a guy who says they shouldn't be champions and weren't good champions. It's the same as RVD as I've been saying. And if that is the best the product had to offer at that time, you know the product was lacking stars. Creating THOSE guys as stars wasn't going to do the business any wonders. Give me numbers all you want, but once Cena and Batista and Orton got to the main event, there just weren't a ton of great main eventers.

Again, we're going to have to come to agree to disagree here. Which we will have to. I don't mind seeing either at the top of the card, and a tiny run with the belt. Again, not six or seven month, but a run with them at the top isn't a bad thing to me.

Not sure what the point of this was, other than to show Triple H getting handed the title, which I have never agreed with myself. A tournament would have made sense, and I have argued that for years. And I like how at the beginning, you said that my thoughts were cohesive and well thought, but now I am royally fucking up. Wow, the tune has changed.

I call them like I see them.

If I'm not mistaken, RVD, Edge, and Kane were all faces at that time, right? Thus, Shawn would have to have face/face matches in the midcard, which isn't typical of the WWE. Hell it's not typical anywhere. Hindsight is 20/20 though, but you forget that Shawn had just come back and no one knew how long he'd hang on. This was a guy who main evented for a couple of years and retired in what should have been his prime, and his name value was greater than anyone on Raw, perhaps even Triple H. That return was the biggest thing of that time period, but after ONE feud, you want him to be mediocre?

I never want Shawn Michaels to be mediocre. What's so mediocre about the mid card? I mean, fuck, you can argue all you want him being a big name, but the truth was, he had his nostalgia run, which was great, but once that was done, the only thing he has left to do in the business is put over other people. That's really all he was of worth after about January 2003, because the WWE wouldn't do any good having him being the face of the company. Also, I'm going to mind you to be consistent yourself. Hogan can;t have another run at the top, though he's a proven draw, while Shawn, who at his absolute best wasnever a draw, gets to have one? Right.

Seems odd. I'll give you Kane if you want, because Kane is always right there near the main event, but even still, all you are arguing is that a Shawn/Kane feud could have been good in 03? Maybe, but you could say that feuds are missed every year ever. That doesn't mean that a guy is completely misused though. I wish you were running WWE back then, though. Would have been interesting to see you explain using one of your huge names making a huge return to job to midcarders and lose credibility

What credibility? Shawn was always a guy who put on great matches, and was a great performer. When people describe Shawn, they describe him as a great performer, not as a major winner in wrestling. Have him wrestle great matches, and let other people get over on the fact that they outwrestled one of the greatest ever. It's really not hard. Brock Lesnar had it with Hulk Hogan. Hell, Hulk Hogan had it with Andre the Giant back in the day, man. It's really not that hard a concept.

I actually don't think Jericho is a bad draw. I never said that. In fact, I'd argue that he's a good draw with the right pairing, like Rock. His stuff with Rock was great and I'm pretty sure, though I don't have the numbers, that their stuff did well. However, now you are using Austin which is completely irrelevant to your "Triple H is evil" thesis. I agree that PPV matches on TV are stupid, but my argument is that the time period in question was a bad drawing period in general due to lack of stars, while you are arguing that Triple H is responsible for that. Let's stay on target here.

Fine, then throw it out.

Booker is debatable, and I do think he had something to offer, but I still don't think he is nearly on the level of someone like Rock, who he was certainly emulating. He was good, and probably should have gotten more of a shot in 2003, but shit happens. That's one guy that they could have given a shot, and if he flopped, you take the title off and move on. As for Kane, I didn't' question his drawing, you did! You said that Raw was devoid of drawing power. You said "all the big stars were on Smackdown because Triple H didn't want to be overshadowed". Now you are arguing that Kane is a huge draw. Hypocrisy is running wild, brother!

If you could excuse me a minute, I have to take out the words you just tried to shove down my throat. Again, I'm arguing that it was wrestlers the fans wanted to see go over, and not because of the typical storyline "good guy bad guy" stuff, but because no one wanted to see Triple H on top. Kane and the likes were stars, but hadn't had much of a chance to be proven as main event quantities, and didn't have numbers to prove themselves as draws, due to either working in a different company, or just not getting as many chances. Even you admit Kane probably did deserve more chances. Seeing that there was a large contingent of over wrestlers, but not over to the point that they can't be blamed for low buy rates, because they hadn't had the same chance someone like Triple H, Trips picked these men to work with, and when buy rates came low, he could blame them.

What's not to get there?

I like Kane, and he always seems to do a good job with whatever feud he is given, and I believe it was right to give him that main event program. Should he have won? Maybe. We can argue for the rest of time who should have won EVERY PPV title match over the last 30 years, because builds are often there and not capitalized on. Hell, people STILL argue about MDM never getting the WWE title, but sometimes it doesn't happen. Keep in mind though, when a face is built up, you are SUPPOSED to believe and want them to win. A good heel prevents that by any means necessary and gets more heat as a result. Perhaps that is the case here.

So the WCW main eventers were big draws, but now no one wants to see it?

Scott Steiner? Oh Dear God, no. Yes, I will say absolutely no one wanted to see Scott Steiner at the top, either in WCW, or in the WWE. And, I don't think anyone will disagree with me. WCW had spent an entire year killing off most of the potential heels with comedy gimmicks, or factions. Scott Steiner was literally their last option over at WCW. So yes, I'm going to say absolutely no one wanted Scott Steiner at the top of any company. He's a man who's best days happened in 1990, as part of a tag team. Consider that for a second.

I think you could fairly say that Steiner got a similar push to Booker on WCW, and while Steiner was a little older and a lot more out of shape in comparison to Booker, his name value was similar, if not greater than Booker.

Hm... going to go with no on that one. Booker was seen as a credible face who cut good promos, who had a connection to the fans, and held the WCW Title with respect and dignity. Scott Steiner... He was anything but.

Steiner was around for years, and was a key name in the NWO period. I think people DID want to see it, even if you didn't. It was one of those WCW/WWE matchups that people always pictured. True, it was a few years after it would have been greater, but still.

No, it wouldn't have been. Steiner was going to break down, anyway.

Ok, Mr. facts and figures, I think you missed MY WHOLE POINT.

Yes, yes, all the main stars were gone, blah blah. I heard you, don't worry. I get where you're about to go, for the sake of the reader, I'm going to just sum this up by saying you talk about how all of the superstars like Rock and Stone Cold were gone. Mind you, they weren't really gone, and were still advertised to appear on events, so I'm not sure why you believe they're gone. Oh, that's right, they weren't wrestling anymore, right? Is that the point? Look, if Triple H was nearly as good as you make him out to be, and in that upper elite class, people would have paid, and tuned in, to see him. You also talk about the Brand Draft spreading them too thin, and that we agree on. But again, a good drawer can turn around bad business. Steve Austin single handedly turned around business by himself from late 1997 on in, and you can argue that it was all the "superstars" around him, but it was Stone Cold. Speaking of which, The Rock didn't have Stone Cold for the longest time in 2000. As a matter of fact, he also didn't have The Undertaker, he didn't have Mick Foley, much like you talk about with Triple H, and he didn't have Mr. McMahon, really, but his son and daughter. How did The Rock respond? He pulled off numbers in the mid to high five range. Triple H's average rating for a program? 3.62. An entire two points down. A good drawer is one that can work and elevate talent to his level, make them credible, to the point that people care. The Rock was capable of that, in spite of all the same names you complain about Triple H not having. Face facts; Triple H just isn't a draw.

Again, you are all about figures, but you forget that figures don't mean a whole hell of a lot when you actually consider the landscape. Business was down anyway and it had little to do with just one man. That's like blaming baseball losses on the best player who is playing well but the rest of the team stinks. That's simply not fair. But you could say "well figures show that the team has stunk", but ignore the fact that this guy has played well and should not factor into why they stink. That's why I'm not a figures guy. Never have been, never will be.

Again, figures don't lie. I don'e deny that Triple H is not a good worker, never said that. Just that he isn't a draw, and no matter what, there's no way you, or anyone else, can conclude why.

Opinions are opinions. Figures don't lie.

Simply look at the product of that time. Tell me if there was immense star power. I understand that the other 2 biggest stars were on Smackdown, but that's it. Other than that, it's all speculation as to who could get built up and who couldn't or didn't.

And, the fact that when these stars were out of Triple H's megalomaniac stance of building himself and no one else, when Vince finally put his foot down, and ended his run of dominance somewhere around Wrestlemania 21, the superstars we just mentioned did come to World Title Victories themselves. Kane, Booker T, RVD, (Ok, maybe not Scott Steiner) they all came to greater success than they had under Triple H's "wing"

This is just Triple H hatred directed at the time period for when he garnered most of it. Now, I'm no Triple H mark. Hell, I think he's a great worker but he's never been one of my favorites. But I can't blame him for most of these things. If you honestly believe that more talent was on Smackdown, that's fine and that can be your argument. Don't then claim that Raw had just as much talent but was buried though.

See, they had all the potential to be draws, though, and were never given the chancem under Triple H's wing. That right there is burying, plain and simple.

Those are conflicting statements. Either the talent was evenly distributed or it wasn't. Your original argument was that it wasn't but now you are telling me that Raw had RVD and Booker which are talented. You need to pick a side and stay with it. I respect your opinion, but you aren't true to one argument.

No, I've picked one. Smackdown had more stars, which Triple H sent away. Raw then had the responsibility to build new stars, who were already over with the fans, as they were. Triple H would not allow that.

Hell, even if you were, I still don't think I'd agree with you, but at least you put forth a great effort to try and prove your point to me. I respect that, but that doesn't mean we'll ever agree on this.

That's cool, and don't get me wrong, you put in a Hell of an effort yourself. We just don't agree, at all.

I thought this was interesting.
Here is a an article written by Dave Meltzer about Triple H's drawing ability.

"I'm a big fan of Bret Hart, but HHH has drawn tons more money than Hart. One was the top guy during $80 million years and the other was the top guy during $375-425 million years. Hart as a top guy in the main event mix was late 1992 through late 1997. HHH was on top at house shows in tags by late 1997, in singles with Austin by early 1998, and is considered, for better or worse, the No. 1 guy in the business today. He had several months off, but his longevity at the top has surpassed Hart, as has his number of world title reigns. His big money PPVs that he was on top on (1.0 or better, and that standard is actually unfair to him because the expanding universe has led to a decline in buy rates, and while you can argue that the old buy rates show it was more popular, the same decline is evident in boxing as Tyson-Holyfield buy rates are way lower than Leonard buy rates or early Tyson buy rates, but nobody in boxing will make the argument that anything but Tyson-Holyfield was the PPV peak) would be only behind Rock, Austin, Hogan and Flair. For total PPV money drawn, he'd be well ahead of Flair. Hart nor Flair never headlined a PPV show that came close to the interest level of 2002 Rumble. And everyone in the company will credit HHH's return to the buy rate of that rumble, even though it was years after the peak of the company, it still beat out every rumble during the peak years.

Also, in Hart's day, the house show business was considered priority 1a with PPVs. Today, PPV is Priority 1, and draws ridiculously bigger numbers now. TV is a much higher priority and the numbers are also higher. House show attendance is at the same level today as in Hart's best period, but at three times higher ticket prices. And HHH was on top in 1999-2001 when no company in history ever came close to the level of house e show business, even though house shows weren't even the major priority at the time.

HHH was never the draw Austin or Rock were. But here in San Jose, HHH drew the biggest crowd for a house show in the history of Northern California when neither Austin nor Rock were on the show (HHH & Rikishi vs. Angle & Kane, and it was clear HHH was the star of that show). When Hart was on top, there was never a period he could draw more than half of what HHH was drawing on his own at his peak, for a regular house show.

The San Jose match was when the company was on fire, but neither Austin nor Rock were ever advertised. You can find countless examples of shows without Austin nor Rock that drew great with HHH as the top star.

In many cities, HHH drew well when Austin was hurt and Rock was not working every show. I'm willing to bet when they split crews, more often than not, the HHH crew outdrew the other crew. Whether it's the name Raw or whatever, but everyone in WWE knew the year Raw sucked and Smackdown was great, that more often than not in the same cities, Raw still outdrew Smackdown, and HHH was the star on Raw at the time.

I don't like the guy and Hart is my friend, but facts are facts. But it is hilarious watching people twist themselves into pretzels for an excuse when the guy has had done well."

Also had this to say, which I though was interesting as well.

"Why not check out this year, how HHH's quarters did in the ratings, and the average attendance on shows he appeared on vs. the Raw shows he was not advertised to appear on. I don't know the answer, but the last time I did the figuring he was No. 1 in the company, which means the business, in both. Hart was never a big ratings guy. HHH's best run in Canada blows away Hart's best run in Canada for live gates. "

Big difference.... Hogan, by himself, will always draw fans. He's always going to get some sort of nostalgia pop. Hall and Nash, alone? They don't have that same ability. They can;t get fans to care about them individually.

This is were I think your completely wrong. Wrestling is no longer just a "by himself" game. Its more of an ensemble cast and its really been that way since the early 90's. Even Stone Cold and the Rock who were the faces of the company during the last boom didn't do it by themselves.. they had HHH and DX.. Taker..Foley.. ect. Why is it so hard to understand that when you have 5 stars.. and you lose 3 stars.. Yeah business is going to dip a bit. Its just a matter of you and other Triple H haters twisting facts to get the desired result. To go out of your way to say HHH wasn't a draw is just plain ridiculous.

I never want Shawn Michaels to be mediocre. What's so mediocre about the mid card? I mean, fuck, you can argue all you want him being a big name, but the truth was, he had his nostalgia run, which was great, but once that was done, the only thing he has left to do in the business is put over other people. That's really all he was of worth after about January 2003, because the WWE wouldn't do any good having him being the face of the company. Also, I'm going to mind you to be consistent yourself. Hogan can;t have another run at the top, though he's a proven draw, while Shawn, who at his absolute best wasnever a draw, gets to have one? Right.

His nostalgia run was only nostalgia til he realized that he can still go..and that could still outperform 95% of the roster. Business wise why would you take a guy who is over with the crowd.. considered by many to be the greatest in ring performer of in WWE history in the mid card with Carlito? Shawn was an instant mainevent face addition to the Raw roster which they sorely needed at the time. The reason Shawn could still get another 8 years on top and Hogan couldn't is that HBK could still go.. Hogan was over the hill and only selling nostalgia at that point.

What credibility? Shawn was always a guy who put on great matches, and was a great performer. When people describe Shawn, they describe him as a great performer, not as a major winner in wrestling. Have him wrestle great matches, and let other people get over on the fact that they outwrestled one of the greatest ever. It's really not hard. Brock Lesnar had it with Hulk Hogan. Hell, Hulk Hogan had it with Andre the Giant back in the day, man. It's really not that hard a concept.

Thats exactly what they did.. Kurt Angle.. Jericho.. John Cena.. and the list goes on.. Would you have had him been another Flair?? Where a win over him meant about as much as beating Scotty Too Hotty... Sorry to disappoint you that instead of becoming a midcard jobber Shawn had a legendary career instead.

Steve Austin single handedly turned around business by himself from late 1997 on in, and you can argue that it was all the "superstars" around him, but it was Stone Cold.

Austin was a huge star but that is complete bullshit.. Without DX..without the Rock..HHH.. without Taker and Foley... without MR MACMAHON!! people wouldn;t be tuning in to see Austin beat up Savio Vega week in and out.. Its not a one man show.. its a group effort and its shocking that you don't understand that. Just because someone is the top dog doesn't mean they can do it by themselves..

You can't argue that Triple H layed the corner stones for the success that the WWE has right now. He helped put of Batista as an absolute monster, he made John Cena look like the highest top level talent, and took a mid carder like Sheamus and helped elevate him to the main event scene.

Okay, he didn't put your personal favorites over. But you can't argue that Triple H helped bridge the gap between the end of the Rock and Austin era to the Cena era.

I totally agree with Tenta HHH did whatever he could too keep good wrestlers off Raw and too use them as scape goats for why the match didnt work cause triple h booked jus like kevin Nash he booked people who he believed he could win against and when they buy rates came he blamed it on the other guy constantly. But in actual reality he was the one who could not draw the fact that he was champ n he had ric flair as a manager n the bleief that the person he was fighting might win was the only reason for the draw. So it wasnt HHH it was circumstances of a big name taking the title was the draw the whole time no body cared about the GAME and you know whats funny HHH only allowed kliq members and his own evolution guys too win the belt after him thats freaking crazy cause why did Randy Orton beat Beniot??? HHH made it happen and then what do you know HHH gets the belt back a month later hmmmmm. Or Triple H wins the belt back from goldberg in a triple threat match with Kane doing all the work and what ago HHH another title regin. I never really liked HHH but he sucks as a booker and he is a worse ego maniac then hogan n flair

I wouldn't doubt it. Triple H is one of the most over-rated superstars in the history of the WWE. He can't wrestle well, and his marriage to Stephanie makes all of WWE's decisions to push HHH questionable.

You can't talk Triple H on sites. You condemn him, you're just biased against him, you just don't know what you're talking about.

Triple H has buried plenty of people who quite frankly could've done amazing things if he'd gotten out of the way.

Kane had the ridiculous Katie Vick storyline and never beats Triple H for the title when he was seeing some fanfare for his feud against Triple H.

RVD and Booker T joined to immense fanfare. Booker T is greatly irritating to me. He joins NWO, he gets kicked out by HBK. He and Goldust feud against them, they had very entertaining skits, were over wtih the fans and should have been put over by NWO, but they didn't. Booker T and Goldust win the titles then drop them and they're split up so T can chase the WWE title. He had a lot of support up until WM and they have him job to Triple H. Wasting all that momentum and then he's seen as not main event material. He goes to SD to become a World champion with a ridiculous King Booker which he tries to make work. He has to put ove Batista, who can't work, can't talk and has to be carried in every feud, just to make them entertaining. He gets in a fight with Batista ( a pal of Triple H's, like Orton, Sheamus etc.) before losing the belt. He gets drafted to Raw, has some difficulties, a report of him taking drugs from a pharmacist uder investigation, and is released shortly after some type of issues backstage.

Benoit wins the title at WM from a three way, he is pulling solid numbers in tv ratings as champ, and he loses to Orton at SS, just so Triple H can feud with Orton and get the title back.

It seems like it's all just a game to stroke his ego, if it isn't him with the belt, it's his friends getting the favour. Those who do get the title Edge, Jericho, Jeff Hardy, Punk, never beat him for it, and ususally have to fight hard as hell to get to that point while his pals slide right into it.

You can call it a bad rap all you want, the fact is he's hurting the WWE. Any good performer who does something wrong by one of his pals is released (Anderson, possibly Booker T) or sent to SD (Kingston) to be buried. Vince needs to put boundaries on this guy's influence.

Only just came across this thread, but can honestly say no he never and its a ridiculas question!

Could it not be that with the brand extension kicking in that Vince wanted to have two seperate style of brands? with smackdown being the more technical wrestling match type and with family friendly characters i.e. 'taker, rey, hogan. Are you (Tenta) just goin along with what you've read on other websites? How do you know the statements you make to be true?

It annoys me when people have this opinion of Trips, firstly NOBODY ON THIS SITE knows the real story for any situation, you all assume HHH is a backstabber or a game player with backstage politics & agends etc, BS i say! HHH is an investor in the company in terms of its now his future inheritance aswell and has a real life interest in the direction the company goes to make money. Why would he jepodize this for the sake of keeping the strap? Having the belt in this day & age doesnt even mean that much, it just means that person must worker harder to represent the company, maybe do more house show, signings etc. So HHH seriously sat there one day and thought, "hmm i know, i'll overule Vince, the man who's made all the decisions in the past but screw him now i'm in charge, and move the people i dont want onto a different show? come on get real. Having HHH as the champ was the best thing to do at that particular moment in time. It was the wcw version of the belt in and made sense having him face former wcw talent (maybe to prove how sh!t they were yeah i'll give u that). But keeping his 'pals' close to the top, wtf! HBK was and always will be the best of all time, doesnt need anyone to keep him in the main event picture. Nash? Nash v HHH has personal history, and had never happend before so why not. Goldberg, are we forgetting Goldberg was the champ from Sept to December, if Trips had that much control, he would have never dropped the belt to Berg, i fact Goldberg wouldnt of even been on RAW in the first place as he would be a threat.

'Good workers', every single superstar is a good worker, some are obviously better than others and work better with others.

Trips was ALWAYS destend to be a main event player regardless of his relationship with steph & co so get over it. He was originally scheduled for the Austin push back in 96 remember, dont remember seeing steph on his arm then.

people forget he agreed to tap out clean to benoit, pin fall clean to batista and tapped out clean to cena at the biggest shows of the year but no no he's still a selfish prick, course he is!

where are you all getting the Lesnar heat from? its obvious Lesnar was better suited to smackdown because that was geared around wrestling matches, raw was geared around shock tv and adult type storylines.

the only thing i had a problem with was orton losing the belt so quick at unforgiven 2004 which totally killed his momentum, but who knows that was a HHH decision? non of us do so stop pretending to know everything.

Triple H may have been destined to be a main eventer or a champion, but not a 13 time champion. Batista, Orton, Sheamus are champions or former champs, aren't they his friends or people who rode with him on the road ? Batista can't speak, and his reign would be nothing if not for the people who carried his ass on the mike, in skits and in the ring. Triple H , JBL, Booker and Edge, were the ones who made him look good. Orton was ok but not great. Sheamus has improved, but he had no right to be in the main event after a year let alone two time champ and king of the ring.

Triple H put over Benoit, because it was believed that would entice Bret to do the HoF. Benoit is doing solid tv ratings, and Benoit loses to Orton who then loses it back to Triple H. That sounds a little self serving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back