• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Did the right match end breaking point?

y2empleh

Pre-Show Stalwart
Ok, the last images we have of a PPV are often critical to how we feel about the PPV in General. For this reason, Vince and WWE have usually ended the PPV with the title match that had a "face" winning. Last night, Cena won his however the PPV was still concluded by the Punk/UT/"screwjob" ending. I'm not asking about what you thought of these matches but rather, do you think the Cena/Orton match should have been the last match? Or do you agree with Punk/UT ending it?

I agree with Taker-Punk closing because your logic is absolute bullshit. Just look at the last twelve months of WWE PPVs and their closes:

-Jericho wins the title at Unforgiven
-Jericho retains the title at No Mercy
-Orton wins the Rumble
-Edge wins the title at No Way Out
-Edge wins the title at Backlash and Cena does a stretcher job
-Edge retains the title at Judgement Day
-CM Punk ends Jeff's dream and wins the belt at Extreme Rules
-Orton retains the title at The Bash

Trust me, happy endings are not a major priority in the WWE and nor should they be. The face chasing the heel has long been a major part of wrestling. Sending people home after booing a guy hard is not a bad thing.

Not only that, but some "happy endings" have failed hard recently. Trips got no-sold at Mania.

Would I have ended the PPV with that particular match? No, I don't think I would, but then I'm not the WWE and I don't know what creative wanted to leave the audience with at the end. I got the idea from the beginning that Breaking Point wasn't meant to be a "feel good" kind of event, at least not as "feel good" as Wrestlemania. So, perhaps this is the best way.

Also, they were in Montreal, so I don't think that the WWE could resist at least doing some reference to the famous screwjob by the same name. You know how they love to rub Canada's nose in that whenever they're in town. Ending it on that note was just another way to do so, just because they were in Montreal. Now while I also understand that this ending was really the only way that they could prolong the feud and not hurt the credibility of either wrestler too badly, I think the ending on that note was just to make sure it was remembered. So, given that it's likely the sort of thing the WWE wanted the fans to go away with, it's probably the right way to end it.

I think it had just the right order to it. Honestly i saw most of the show except the first few matchs. Lots of mixed results so it wasnt a all face win or all heel win. Now i know im a minority but i loved the punk taker match. You have to look at the big picture. This want supposed to be a epic match. Its their first meeting. Now having Taker beat Punk cleanly ruins Punks heel run he has built to a amazing amount. Punk beating Taker cleanly is unrealistic in a submission match at least. So Vince was at a standstill with creative. So they come up with the plan the match had. I will admit i was on justin.tv for that match watching it. Now when Taker made punk tap the board was pissed because it was a lame short ending. JR talks up Taker the whole time how he will win no questions then he gets this lame super quick tap. No struggle just taps. So you have a majority of people mad at the ending. Then they do what no one thought of or expected and bring back the point that the hells gate was banned so they restart the match. Everyone on the chat on justin.tv were taken by surprise at this. Then since Punk has been on a role with getting heel heat after Hardy,make him pull a huge screwjob so he becomes more and more as much of a heel top star as Edge. Perfect in my opinion for all sides. Now it goes to hell in a cell ppv. I will be honest that i hope Punk somehow walks out with the belt. He is on a rollar coaster of stardom not seen since edge's huge skyrocket to stardom back in like 2006-2007. I would love to see his title run continue on and have him fued with someone else before its over.

They had to end the PPV with their GENIUS 'screw job' rip off ending. So, whichever match they decided that ending would belong to had to end the show. They landed on CM PUNK. Wow. CM Punk sure does deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels and the Undertaker.............please.

They had to end the PPV with their GENIUS 'screw job' rip off ending. So, whichever match they decided that ending would belong to had to end the show. They landed on CM PUNK. Wow. CM Punk sure does deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels and the Undertaker.............please.

Err...... ok? :shrug:

Anyways, I think they ended it with the right match. They don't always end with a face ending as already stated above.

Basicley they ended it with the most controversial ending. Good business. If they ended with Cena/Orton half the arena would have still been thinking about the Punk/Taker ending instead of getting into the Cena/Orton match.

It was a good way to end the PPV and makes you all the more excited for SD on Friday.

I thought it ended the night with some good heat but I really thought it was a let down. I dont know, screwjobs dont do it for me. But thats just my personal taste, it made sense creativley to give punk some major heat and make it seem like that was the most important thing to happen that night.

Plus the return of the dead man is important enough to take the last slot on the card.

Well they should've screwed CENA over it would make perfect sense so ORTON keeps it till SURVIVOR SERIES or ARMAGEDDON seriously why fuck the undertaker over so now the creative team plans on having McMahon vs Undertaker oh no not again lol like when McMahon faced off Orton now it'll be a repeat all over again geeeeeeeeeeeeeez
If they ended with Cena/Orton whole or half the arena would have been satisfied if ORTON reatains and UNdertaker wins but viewership is down for smackdown so what the hell! I also agree with Klown Karnage about what he said even though DPX was jeered and many shouted "You screwed Brett" its on the PPV lol thanx to my encouragement and CENA SUX chants and Lets Go Orton got everyone riled up to my point since they got a negative response they wanted to bury the Bret Hart and remind us of Undertaker
Really stupid if you ask me screw CENA over build a feud with the BOSS since ORTON did it or something but hey CENA kisses the bosses ass and its his boytoy thats all it matters
CENA the new HBK of this millenium "yuck" lol
All I can say Orton is retaining his title originally he was not supposed to lose and Boss did last minute changes should he went along as it was planned Undertaker would not have been screwed !

Also, they were in Montreal, so I don't think that the WWE could resist at least doing some reference to the famous screwjob by the same name. You know how they love to rub Canada's nose in that whenever they're in town. Ending it on that note was just another way to do so, just because they were in Montreal. Now while I also understand that this ending was really the only way that they could prolong the feud and not hurt the credibility of either wrestler too badly, I think the ending on that note was just to make sure it was remembered. So, given that it's likely the sort of thing the WWE wanted the fans to go away with, it's probably the right way to end it.

they had to end it with taker and punk if it ended with cena orton must pepole wouldnt be intrested in the match they would of still been thinking of the taker ending witch by the way i thought was shit

i cant believe wwe did that i think it a new low we are sick of the screw job,Montreal only shout you screwd bret to HBK to get to him they have forgivin him they knows he will just laugh it off and even play on it like dx did when HHH said it his fault witch was funny

Simple as this folks, the PPV was ended geniusly!

Ending the PPV by pissing off alot of fans is always a good thing because it makes the following shows must see T.V. I guarantee you that the majority of people reading this thread are very interested in seeing what will happen on SD this week. That is what WWE was trying to do and they did a hell of a job.

SD has really become the better show of the WWE in recent months. Raw better step it up!

I think the ending was necessary considering the situation.

1. Punk had just regained the World Title from Jeff and needed to be built up as a credible champion.

2. Undertaker has just returned and his return couldn't be weakened.

I don't mind screw jobs, but I don't think this had to be the last match on the card. What played out though was fine with me and IMO needed to happen to continue this feud and build it up leading into Hell In A Cell. I just want Teddy Longs' explanation for all this. Undertaker was furious and I was totally into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back