Did CM Punk Get Lucky?

TheSammichEater

Occasional Pre-Show
I've been watching some of Punk's promos lately and I've been wondering; did CM Punk get lucky? Why did he get to keep the name CM Punk? Guys like Daniel Bryan (Bryan Danielson), Scotty Goldman (Colt Cabana), Kaval (Low Ki/Senshi), etc have all had to change their names. All of them made big impacts in the independents before coming to the WWE and had to change their name, except for Punk. A lot of the names are ridiculous like Goldman or even McGillicuty, so why did the WWE let Punk keep his name? He was already over with the name CM Punk so it was easy for him to transfer into the WWE. The other guys had to change their names and pretty much start anew and it has taken them longer to grow, or even got released because they couldn't grow fast enough.

So what do you think?

Why did Punk get to keep his name?

Do you think Punk would be as big without the name CM Punk?

Do you think guys who have been released would have been relevant if they kept their independent names?

I think Paul Heyman was the one to persuade WWE to let him keep it. Heyman knows what he's doing and was smart enough to see it was a fine name.

CM Punk is extremely lucky on all accounts.

Dave Lagana actually has a great three part article on Iwantwrestling.com that's definitely worth a read, all about his days on the ECW brand. Basically everyone was against him and all the producers and agents were lobbying for Vince to fire Punk.

As for his name, I think he just hit a sweet spot in timing, where he was brought up by Paul Heyman.

1. I agree with the previous post that Paul Heyman has something to do with it. He is simply one of the few guys who can easily convince Vince McMahon because of his reputation and credibility.
2. I think if he was given a different name, he will still be over. It's the marketing power of the WWE that will boost him towards the top. Let's face it, CM Punk already has the talent even prior to entering WWE. They won't get him if he does not have the matt and mic skills. He also has the character/ personality and looks which they find it easily to market.
3. CM Punk is destined for greatness not because he is lucky but it is due to his uncanny wrestling skills to match his mic skills. He has the personality to entertain the crowd. He is never boring because of his charisma. Being "The Best in the world" is not his own claim but this is what we see in him right now. He is, he was and the best there ever will be in the business right now.

In a way he was lucky from what I understand as others have pointed out Heyman convinced McMahon to let him keep his name. Since he had a huge following in the Indy's and was very over in the WWE developmental territory. When he came up to the main roster in 2006 they weren't as strict on changing names. Back then they had many guys using their real names like Benoit, Cena, Orton, Angle, Chavo Guerrero and Eddie Guerrero before that. They also let Chris Jericho keep his in ring name.

CM Punk is extremely lucky on all accounts.

Dave Lagana actually has a great three part article on Iwantwrestling.com that's definitely worth a read, all about his days on the ECW brand. Basically everyone was against him and all the producers and agents were lobbying for Vince to fire Punk.

As for his name, I think he just hit a sweet spot in timing, where he was brought up by Paul Heyman.

I completely disagree with that...remeber that was ECW where pretty much everyone was for self CM Punk is legitimately an excellent talent and from what I've seen he is smart enough to politic his way through the "Diva" environment known as World Wrestling Entertainment so you have to give him a little credit because the "Lucky" superstars never last in the WWE look at Shelton Benjamin...:shrug:

It's a combination of things but it mostly comes down to the fact that CM Punk must have been a great negotiator at the time when his contract was drawn up. Anyone who thinks otherwise just doesn't understand the business.

Considering the names given to talent in recent years, I'm led to assume that Vince likes unique characters with name that either stand out or can be marketable and look good in lights. Names like Evan Bourne (i.e. "Air Bourne") are perfect examples of this. Now, I know what you're all thinking... "What about Michael McGillicutty??" First of all, that was his mother's maiden-last name. Secondly, ever since he appeared on NXT with that name, none of you have stopped talking about it. Therefore, it served its purpose.

Punk wasn't "lucky" enough to keep his name. Vince found it catchy and marketable and Punk probably put up a good fight about keeping it. It's not like he's the only wrestler with that luxury. Wrestlers like David Otunga and The Miz were able to keep their real/personal names that they themselves brought to the WWE's table.

This is a business and everything is a product of negotiation.

Wether phil brooks keeps his in ring name or not, it doesnt have any detremental effect to his career.

Cm punk was a ham n egger in his two years in the wwe anyway. His world title reign were mediocre, irrelevant and not memorable. His straightedge gimmick was boring. His promos suck.

Cm punk busted his ass to get to where he is at today. The in ring name is just an added bonus. He progressed and improved his gimmick, promo skills, and personality over the course of time to get to where he is at.

I completely disagree with that...remeber that was ECW where pretty much everyone was for self CM Punk is legitimately an excellent talent and from what I've seen he is smart enough to politic his way through the "Diva" environment known as World Wrestling Entertainment so you have to give him a little credit because the "Lucky" superstars never last in the WWE look at Shelton Benjamin...:shrug:

I don't know what you're disagreeing with, I was citing Dave Lagana's article where (as the former head writer of ECW) he stated that the agents and producers were pushing for Punk to be future endeavored, and that it was only a comment from Shawn Michaels that changed everything. Dave also states that the only reason Punk wont the ECW title was because of the wellness policy violations, infact The Boogeyman was set to beat him in the number 1 contenders match, and it was that way until midmatch.

I'm a HUGE Punk mark and have been since ROH, I think he's EXTREMELY talented and has earned all that he has. I agree Punk is intelligent, but he doesn't play politics... at all, and as good as he is and was, he was being pushed out the door. Why do you think he jobbed to Bob Holly so much?

I don't think the big deal is that Punk was able to keep his name when he came to the WWE. McMahon has allowed many guys to come into the 'E' with their previous ring name, as long as they already had a good gimmick he felt was marketable.

The big question is who owns the trademark for the CM Punk name in case the day ever comes where he isn't working for WWE anymore? If Punk doesn't own it, he wouldn't be the first guy to lose the name he's always worked under.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back