• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CM Punk, I mean Phil Brooks?

Heartbreak_Kid_707

Championship Contender
Alright, I know wrestlezone has been keeping us fans updated on Punks UFC training. But they keep saying "cm punk" . If I'm not mistaken does wwe own the name cm punk? Why is he still going by the name cm punk and not his real name of Phil Brooks?

And even if he owns the name cm punk one would think the hate he has for wwe that he would want to distance himself from them.

Anyone she'd some info on this? Am I missing something?

He was CM Punk long before the WWE. It is an identity and brand he spent damn near a life building. Makes zero sense for him to abandon that now. CM Punk is who he is in the public's eye.

This will likely be moved.

Not sure what the contractual obligations were concerning the CM Punk trademark during his tenure with the E but Punk seems to own the rights to the name. The E may reserve the rights to use the likeness in their products without owing his royalties. Even if Punk is walking a fine line in the use of the name do you think the E wants to push it in court. Punk has always promised to have a lot of dirt he would expose.

It doesn't matter what "dirt" Phil Brooks has on wwe, I'm not referring to that. I'm talking about this trademark infringement. Which is a very big deal. I've seen on more than one site that wwe owns that trademark. So, why would this be moved? It's a wwe matter. I think Phil Brooks is really enjoying the attention the cm punk brand gets. Whether he hates wwe or not he is using it..he has hypocrite written all over himself.

he has hypocrite written all over himself.

See you're not wrong about the trademark stuff but this is just ******ed. CM Punk created, developed, and built the CM Punk brand. If he is legally allowed to use the name then it's his prerogative to do so. What exactly is hypocritical about that?

Whatever his name is, He's still the most ungratefull, undeserving, overrated whinny b**** in pro wrestling history. I'm curious to hear his excuses once he starts losing about the reasons UFC is holding him back and how the fighters are hurting him too hard etc as he has no chance real fighting against the best in the world if he can't handle playfighting guys like Ryback and not even man enough to complain about it to his face.
As for who owns the name I would think it would all depend on what the contract states which he signed at the time with WWE, I understand WWE having the right to own the name if they created it along with the character but I think its out of order for the WWE to claim ownership of a name when they did not come up with it and it was getting used for years before the wrestler joined the company.

It doesn't matter what "dirt" Phil Brooks has on wwe, I'm not referring to that. I'm talking about this trademark infringement. Which is a very big deal. I've seen on more than one site that wwe owns that trademark. So, why would this be moved? It's a wwe matter. I think Phil Brooks is really enjoying the attention the cm punk brand gets. Whether he hates wwe or not he is using it..he has hypocrite written all over himself.

lol, obviously Punk will have managed to negotiate a contract clause for the copyright of his name, or WWE would be doing something about it, obviously.

Brooks owns the rights to the C.M. Punk name. It's been widely publicized that the one thing Punk was adamant on when discussing his contract was keeping the rights to his name, as he had been using it for years... even before he debuted in ROH. There was actually a report a while back stating that Punk almost sued WWE in regards to royalties associated with the name.

So yeah, Punk owns the Punk brand. It's not hypocritical for him to use the name... it's his and it will make him a lot more money than going by Phil Brooks.

You'd have to be an idiot to be a popular indy wrestler and then sell your name rights to the WWE where things could easily not work out. That's why Rollins, Bryan, Ambrose etc. all used new names and why Samoa Joe probably will too if he signs for them. Obviously WWE made up a contract for Punk that they wouldn't have made for most wrestlers. This is a non topic.

He owns the rights and even said so in one of the podcasts. When asked if people should call him that anymore, he said "I don't know". Whether he uses that name for himself in MMA or other projects is still a mystery.

It doesn't mater what you were referring to. The E will try to avoid public legal issues with a possible headache like Punk. The reward is not worth the backlash. Anyway, there are zero infringement issues. The WWE owns two CM Punk trade marks. They own rights to character likeness and merchandising. CM Punk owns the rights to the name itself.

Bottom line, Punk created the brand. He then entered into a professional relationship with the WWE. The Punk brand was able to gain massive exposure while the E profited. The partnership came to an end.

Phil owns the name as it came about back when he was backyard wrestling and he decided not to change it. It is odd that he was allowed to keep it when he entered the WWE since Vince had already been renaming wrestlers to take ownership and avoid legal and monetary issues.
It varies for different wrestlers, like Bubba Ray and D'Von were the Dudley Boyz before entering the WWE but can't use that name now. Does Vince own "John Cena" and "Randy Orton"?

Phil owns the name as it came about back when he was backyard wrestling and he decided not to change it. It is odd that he was allowed to keep it when he entered the WWE since Vince had already been renaming wrestlers to take ownership and avoid legal and monetary issues.

In Punk's case he was able to retain his ring name thanks to Paul Heyman. It is no secret the two have been close for a very long time. Heyman was writing for the ECW brand at the time and convinced Vince to allow Punk to continue with his name. Of course Punk had to give the WWE some rights and a deal was made.

It varies for different wrestlers, like Bubba Ray and D'Von were the Dudley Boyz before entering the WWE but can't use that name now. Does Vince own "John Cena" and "Randy Orton"?

birth names can't be copyrighted, no. So if Cena decided to switch to TNA he wouldnt have to be called Sonjeena

Obviously huh? I made the post because I didn't know and asked a question. Apparently I'm not a c.m. Punk smart mouth mark, obviously..

The remark I made regarding him being hypocrite was him hating wwe but yet still making money off what made him money. He might hade developed the character but I highly doubt Phil Brooks made a ton of money off the cm punk name, until wwe.

I seen in a recent interview that wwe makes people sign under a different name so they can keep the copyright. Even if it's just the misspelling of a name by a single letter or names being arranged in different order.

Non topic?

Obviously.

I dont see how having some complaints about WWE's conduct at times makes him a hypocrite, whether you agree with the complaints or not. You can't criticize your employer before they employ you. He'd only be a hypocrite if he returned to the company yet still kept saying similar stuff.

He was on the radio on Jim Rome and brought up the topic. He said something along the lines of "everyone knows CM Punk" so its best for $$$ for him, Marvel fomics, and UFC to use the name CM Punk. And he said he used the name long before WWE. Dont remember the copyright part, he didn't mention it. But I m sure he has the rights.

Also far as I knew if WWE didn't own your name, then you made less $$$$ like a lower % on merch sales.

I didn't say anything about punk complaining about wwe. Just that even though he developed the punk character, the bulk of $$$ came from wwe pushing the character. If he wasn't a sell out then he'd want to start fresh in a new endeavor (mma) on his birth name.

I didn't say anything about punk complaining about wwe. Just that even though he developed the punk character, the bulk of $$$ came from wwe pushing the character. If he wasn't a sell out then he'd want to start fresh in a new endeavor (mma) on his birth name.

And if ants can carry twice their body weight, how long does it take for an airplane to fly from Los Angeles to Beijing?

The bulk of his money didn't come from WWE pushing his character. The bulk of his money came from him portraying his character.

You'd have to be an idiot to be a popular indy wrestler and then sell your name rights to the WWE where things could easily not work out. That's why Rollins, Bryan, Ambrose etc. all used new names and why Samoa Joe probably will too if he signs for them. Obviously WWE made up a contract for Punk that they wouldn't have made for most wrestlers. This is a non topic.

Ah didn't know that. I figured WWE gave them new names so when they become big stars in WWE, the indy companies can't get credit.

And if ants can carry twice their body weight, how long does it take for an airplane to fly from Los Angeles to Beijing?

The answer to that question is - purple.

To the OP, the reason he's still using CM Punk is because he can. He own's the copyright to the name and no one knows who the hell Phil Brooks is. I'm sure Dana White would rather he use a name that is well known when he's going to promote his first fight. Not saying it will be a success, but at least the CM Punk name might get some buys.

Alright, I know wrestlezone has been keeping us fans updated on Punks UFC training. But they keep saying "cm punk" . If I'm not mistaken does wwe own the name cm punk? Why is he still going by the name cm punk and not his real name of Phil Brooks?

And even if he owns the name cm punk one would think the hate he has for wwe that he would want to distance himself from them.

Am I missing something?
ok.....first and foremost you ARE missing something. 1) CM Punk's name isn't WWE's, it's Punk's. watch old ROH shows, he's not called Phil Brooks or PB Punk, he's CM Punk. i heard somewhere (can't remember now) that the one thing WWE and Punk were arguing about in one of his contract negotiations was the trademark of the name. WWE wanted it trademarked, but Punk didnt and in the end, Punk won that. as for him hating WWE so much that he would distance his name from them, remember (again) in Ring of Honor (which Punk loved) he was CM Punk. he could (if he feels like it) call himself CM Punk or Phil Brooks, it's up to him. my guess is that when he enters, the announcers will call him Phil "CM Punk" Brooks. so again, yes, he can legally use the name and to the person who said that he's a hypocrite, he may be one, but not for the use of his name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back