• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dana White seems like a crybaby

So one thing I like about Dana White is that he's probably the biggest fan of MMA out there. He's helped pioneer the business because he loves it. He's also a very good businessman, so his opinions are based partially on business sense, and reacting to things as a fan.

A lot of times, Dana is just saying what a lot of people are thinking. I thought the Overeem fight was kind of boring. He probably could have ended things. He did kind of fight more "safe" than was probably necessary. I'm not a fighter though. I'm not even a huge diehard fan of the industry. I've only been watching fights for the last year or so, off and on, and a couple seasons of TUF.

I get what you're saying. As a life-long wrestling fan an advocate for some of the changes of the past decade, I cringe when a promoter says guys are too "safe". But UFC was built for two guys to step in a ring and use their various styles and professions to determine who is the best. I think what Dana was saying is that Overeem fought safe, took his shots, and then drew it out to let the judges decide, when he could have been a bit more brutal, laid in his shots, and ended things in the second or third round.

Dana is pretty transparent with the media. If he has an opinion, he will voice it. If he doesn't like the way Overeem fights he's going to say that. He was pissed that Overeem fought safe, then called out Brock Lesnar despite not deserving to be in that role, in his opinion. Which is just what it is - his opinion. Now, that wont stop him from booking Alistair in a big money fight down the road. He's a huge fan, but he's also a smart business guy. if he thinks the fans want to see a fight, regardless of his personal opinions, he'll book it.

Most fans are whiny babies. We're pro wrestling fans. We know that better than most. Dana is just a giant fan who talks to a LOT of media outlets.

There's a huge difference here - Stern fined the Spurs for guys not even playing after fans purchased tickets. The guys Dana bitches about are out there fighting, they just happen to not be as entertaining as he would like them to be. Big difference.

Not really that huge. The spurs went out and played basketball the way they felt suited them best whether it was was the crowd wanted to see at the time or not, just like fighters that stick to their game rather than trying to be exciting.

Here's the reward I'd request - guarantee I will stay relevant (and wealthy) after losing a fight or two due to changing my gameplan so I come off more entertaining. That would snag my acceptance stamp.

Although there is no rule generally fighters are allowed three consecutive losses before they're cut. Some get to stay around longer and some get cut earlier but in most cases three is the number.

Other factors play into it. So if a fighter is out there trying to end fights rather than just being super cautious in every fight then they have a higher chance at sticking around and still getting fights.

I can't comment on the fight that Dana was talking about in this case because I didn't see it.

I did see his quote and from that I'm under the impression that the fighter had chances to end the fight but didn't take them.

That different than Silva fucking around and taunting his opponent.

Fans bitch about that stuff all the time so why shouldn't Dana give his honest feelings about it? I'd rather him be honest than try to lie and say a fight was good if it really wasn't.

Plus the dude called out Lesnar when Lesnar isn't even on the roster? I'm sure Dana was pretty annoyed by that as well and in this particular case probably factored into what he said.

All that being said.

I can agree that at times Dana can be rather obnoxious and say a lot of idiotic things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back