NXT is a Failure

Honestly I think it's just a question of semantics here. Is the original version of the NXT show good, or is the storyline and characters that were derived from it good. And it's irrelevant actually. Even if I were to concede that the show itself was not a resounding success (which I actually do not concede), the potential of the Nexus unit and many if not all of its components more than compensates for it. In other words, if a show comes along which is average, but it creates a great storyline on the flagship show and a prominent PPV, wasn't it all worth it?

Bryan Danielson was not ruined by the NXT experience, you just have to let it all play out. If he returns, let's see just how ruined his character is. I see him in a prominent role, involving none other than Michael Cole, and he'll be just fine. If he doesn't return it could be argued that maybe he wasn't worthy of all of the hype in the first place.

NXT is not a failure, it's been like a modern day Tough Enough. It gives us future stars with potential and some meaningful storylines, like Nexus. Some people say the challenges are stupid, but they really aren't. The keg carrying challenge works on speed and strength, the talking challenge focuses on mic skills, and the obstacle course focuses on speed and agility. As far as ratings, it's doing slightly better than WWECW did. I think so far, it's been a success.

NXT is not a failure, it brings up stars and in a new way. It lets the fans get a grip of their characters before they are ready for the big time. NXT has done an awesome job in developing the characters of what is today known as Nexus.

Now WWECW had really no purpose other then being a 3rd brand, and really provided nothing to the WWE overall. That is why NXT is not a failure and actuslly has been a great thing for the WWE.

I think, considering that they didn't have a clue as to what to do with NXT when they started it, the complete chaos and randomness of the show is deffo a success. The fact is that main-stream western wrestling is far too scripted, in both companies, in the present day and, especially when it started, NXT had a certain level of complete stupidness that this business needs to continue. The fact that they had a few months worth of main-stream appearances worked much better for the NXT roster then the vignettes for Alberto Del Rios are doing. The formats strange, for sure, but there's something strangely compelling about NXT. At least it gives 8 people the chance to make a connection with the audience at once instead of just 1 or 2 at a time.

Without NXT I can't see Bryan Danielson making WWE tv because, let's face it, he's below build, average looking and, in my opinion, was destined for just X Division cluster fuck Ultimate X matches in TNA. That's not a knock on TNA either, that's just what his appearance says to me. He might've been pissed about on NXT, but at least he had a focus and was given a chance to show himself on the main stage. I bet if he went to TNA now his chances of making it higher up the card are greatly improved, as are his chances of actually making it in WWE.

For those that say NXT only became worthwhile after the Nexus started on Cena I say bollocks. If it'd had been random people beating on Cena, it would've taken a large stretch to give a logical reason as to why, thanks to NXT, it gave them a fair reason to want to stick it to the WWE. Basic wrestling booking there. I'll admit, it probably wasn't the plan when NXT started but, things that happen on the fly quite often work out to be much better and larger then the original plan.

Hell, if it wasn't for NXT I bet Summerslam would've been headlined by Sheamus Vs Orton Vs Cena Vs Edge in some way.

NXT is not a failure by any means. It draws the same ratings as Impact, and it's in a shittier time slot. NXT has exposed many fans to the great developmental program that the WWE has. It's given us Nexus and it gave an opportunity to Kaval to showcase what he's got, possibly win, and be called up to a main roster. This is an excellent way to call up talent from FCW and is a great idea on the WWE's part.

Six of which can't be named by a number of wrestling fans, because none of them matter as much as Barrett. If you discount the Danielson firing, one out of seven is a 14% success rate. That's a failure, too.

In all fairness, they're not being shown as individuals. They are a unit. They're a faction. Nexus has been a 100% success. You can not pin all of Nexus' success on Wade Barrett.

In saying that, sure, Otunga, Ginger and probably (unfortunately) Tarver will be shit canned once this thing blows over. Then, you can measure their individual success.

Now, I COMPLETELY agree with you about it being a gag. I was hoping a "Tough Enough/TUF" hybrid would come of this NXT idea. Sadly, there would be too much editing to make it PG I think.

NXT has not failed because in less than 1 year there is at least 12 potential "can't miss" prospects that were not in the mix before...

Some like Wade Barrett, Kaval and Lil' Perfect are sure hits... others like Tarver, Husky and Gabriel are likely to succeed... others like Slater and Skip could do... and some will be jobbers for life...

But a year ago, people were asking where all the new talent was and stating WWE couldn't create new stars...

They've created 12 so far who now belong on WWE TV regularly by my count... how many have TNA nurtured in that time? Thats a hell of a success...

This is fair enough, but I don't think it changes the fact that the NXT show itself isn't all that good, which is what IDR's point had been.

We can argue all day and night about whether NXT is in fact "good" or "not good." I personally enjoy the show, so I'm going to say it's a good show. You clearly do not, so you can say it's a bad show. However, I am clearly not alone, as NXT draws numbers that rival TNA's main show week after week, all while being on an even smaller network than Spike.

keeping in line with IDR's original post the NXT show itself currently hasn't achieved it's personal goals. If a few months from now Wade Barrett is a legit contender I'll happily take back my statements that he's not a break out star. But as it currently stands NXT's predecessor WWECW had a better track record of creating solid stars to move up to the main roster.

So many things to say. First of all, I wouldn't be so surprised to see Barrett holding some gold in a few months. He's already been in the ring with some of WWE's best–he even put up a fight against one John Cena–and remains one of, if not THE most interesting character on Monday nights.

Secondly, even if he's not a legitimate title contender in a few months, does that mean he's a failure? He is currently the head of THE MOST interesting program in WWE in a long, long time. Like, the best thing WWE has put on in years.

And as for WWECW having a better track record? In their... what was it, 4 years of existence? they produced CM Punk, John Morrison, The Miz, and Sheamus. That's one superstar per year of existence. NXT produced one superstar in less than four months, and don't be too surprised if the NXT Season 2 winner breaks into the WWE big time.

Yeah but lots of guys have made an impact they way the NXT season 1 guys have and as soon as their initial story died down no one cared anymore. Gene Snitsky, Heidenreich, Khali. All of those guys made debuts in a similar manner to the Nexus. They attacked top guys, beat them down. Feuded with them and then dropped into obscurity.

Yes, but there's a common factor between those three guys. They all suck/sucked. Every single guy in NXT is more entertaining than those names you just mentioned, even Heath Slater. They are also better wrestlers, even Heath Slater.

Ugh, I can't believe I'm using Heath Slater to win an argument, I feel dirty.

But again you're speaking for those guys personal successes after NXT. The actual NXT show in itself hasn't helped them out all that much.

Except given them a launching point for their storyline. Let's say they forwent NXT, and just had these 8 guys show up on RAW one night. What brought them together? FCW? What the fuck is that? Why should I care about there 7 random strangers I've never heard of before and that guy that I heard about on the internet? I'm just a typical WWE fan, and I don't understand why these guys think they can take over the WWE like this... Enough role playing, saying NXT didn't do much for them is the weakest argument I've seen in this thread yet. It gave them an opportunity to perform in front of a real crowd in real venues, get in the ring with wrestlers who have been around the block many many times, and it probably helped them make friends backstage, something that you can never have to much of.

Aside from Bryan and Barrett, I highly doubt many people paid attention to the other guys until they jumped to RAW, which really implies that NXT as a show didn't expose them as much as they wanted it to.

Speak for yourself man, I was very interested in Gabriel and Tarver. Also, keep in mind that Bryan left half-way through the season, so by your logic, we all became half as interested in the program? No, I stuck through to the very end.

And when that unit disbands, the majority of them are going to sink faster than the Titanic.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. Gabriel will go places that Evan Bourne can only dream of going. Tarver is magic on the mic, and if he can work on some fierce in ring work, he'll be a force. Skip Sheffield has the look and voice of a dumb but powerful heel, and David Otunga can be a more clean-cut version of heel MVP. Heath Slater may lose out, and Darren Young will probably float around somewhere in Zack Ryder territory, but the majority of these guys will be just fine.

Again these guys individual success after participating in an angle designed to get them noticed reflects poorly on NXT. If NXT were as successful as it was hoped it would be, each guy could've crossed directly onto RAW or Smackdown and immediately had a fan or hater following.

Uh, no? If anything, I think WWE has been pleasantly surprised with how successful the NXT rookies have been. They never said coming on that every single one of these wrestlers would have been future superstars, they said ONE would be. I don't get where you naysayers are getting this, "EVERYONE SHOULD BE A SUPERSTAR BY NOW!" bullshit. If these guys were introduced on RAW, they'd be lost in the crowd, never given the chance to stand out.

Instead they've been forced to remain a group and establish themselves as a group again because they didn't get it right the first time.

Or because it makes for an awesome, awesome story.

That's one way to look at it, but suppose what ever higher up it was that decided to cut Bryan to save face, doesn't feel like letting him back in. Seems like a waste.

Multiple sources have said it's almost inevitable that BD will be back in the WWE. He has John fricken Cena on his side. He'll be fine.

And I maintan that Bryan Danielson was systematically ruined by the NXT process.

That's true to an extent, but he really didn't need NXT like the other guys. Plenty of fans had already heard of him, and he didn't need the exposure. Even with all the losing, he came close every time, including a near victory over Jericho in the first week.

First the original post was that NXT the show itself was a failure, in all fairness I'd consider it difficult to call it more than a mild success.

Mild success and failure are two extremely different things. If this thread was, NXT is a mild success, I doubt there would be so much dissension and debate. I'd even agree with that statement.

It certainly hasn't done much better than WWECW did.

It's certainly fresher than WWECW.

And really the fact that the first season guys had to remain a group and re-introduce themselves, to me, says they would've been better just being stuck on RAW immediately.

Yes, sticking 7 strangers on RAW without any build-up would have worked really well. It's not like there's anyone else on that show worth watching...

but in my opinion, NXT the show hasn't done it's job, the majority of WWE fans aren't watching it. And because of that they've had to re-introduce the first group as a faction.

Probably because it's on Tuesday nights on cable. I don't think the goal was to attract every WWE fan, I think it was to get a sizable audience and to give those fans an introduction to these unfamiliar faces, and it has done just that.

When really at least 2 of them should've been ready to go it alone.

No, Bryan Danielson could have gone in alone, but not Wade Barrett. Wade Barrett was nobody before NXT, and he really proved his talent there.

Also it replaced WWECW which was a show that started off well and gradually drew less and less viewers. NXT hasn't regained those viewers, which to me says that it's stayed at the same level as WWECW and the WWE's opinion on that show was that it had failed.

ECW was a show that was reintroduced. It's no surprise it started out strong, but it fizzled out as it began to suck. Keep in mind, NXT hasn't even been out a year yet, and it's already attracted more viewers than WWE's only competitor. I'd say that it's off to a pretty good start for a program that hasn't been around very long at all.

So I can't call NXT a success in its current state.

Fair enough, but it's far too early to call it a failure.

But that's just me, I know the whole TNA argument can come off as me being anti-WWE, but that's because this thread had nothing to do with TNA and somehow it got derailed into a TNA-bashing thread.

Well, it's not that it came off as you being anti-WWE, but also because it's a stupid argument. There's no need to bash TNA though, I agree. I would just be careful to take shots at NXT and praise TNA when they are about equally successful on a commercial basis

I don't see Nxt as a failure at all the ratings may not be the greatest, but their not horrible. They get about the same ratings as wwecw did. I only see TNA marks say WWECW and NXT are failures. In my opinion ECW was replaced because WWE wanted to introduce FCW stars in a new way. I think a lot of the challenges they do are pretty lame. Overall I think it has served it's purpose so far The Nexus is the biggest angle right now. It would have never worked without NXT.

I'm not a TNA hater at all, I just think the TNA marks sound like complete idiots when they bring up NXT ratings and use them to say NXT is a failure. Or you can't compare Impact to NXT cause Impact is TNA's A show and NXT is a C show. Anyone with a right mind would admit it's pretty bad when WWE's C show gets the same ratings as TNA's A show.

TNA diehards always you use the excuse that it's only been 8 years for TNA or it's been six months since Hogan and Bischoff era be patient. It's been almost 5 months for NXT they already have 7 stars in a semi main event at SUmmerslam.

I agree. Never liked the idea and never watched a full episode. I wish Vince' take's the opportunity to come up with an actual show that can compete on the same level as Smackdown and eventually become as big as Raw. Dividing the wrestler's into 3 brands will take off the pressure of pushing everyone at different times. This way we could see more wrestling and more storylines at the same time. Also creating a brand specific title, such as the one made for Divas, would work. I doubt there's any reason to have a NXT championship unless of course you plan on having many different stables called "NXT version...." So make show, give it a title,(titles don't matter anymore just make a fake TV title) and send some up and coming stars there. That would help both Raw and ratings.

So many things to say. First of all, I wouldn't be so surprised to see Barrett holding some gold in a few months. He's already been in the ring with some of WWE's best–he even put up a fight against one John Cena–and remains one of, if not THE most interesting character on Monday nights.
I disagree, I've seen next to nothing to imply that Wade Barrett even has a character. This is Wade Barrett's personality "I'm Wade Barrett and I'm gonna make an impact and Nexus is gonna make an impact and we don't like stuff cos that's how you make an impact".

Secondly, even if he's not a legitimate title contender in a few months, does that mean he's a failure? He is currently the head of THE MOST interesting program in WWE in a long, long time. Like, the best thing WWE has put on in years.
Well if he goes from this angle to nothing then I wold greatly question how he "broke out" as a "star".

And as for WWECW having a better track record? In their... what was it, 4 years of existence? they produced CM Punk, John Morrison, The Miz, and Sheamus. That's one superstar per year of existence. NXT produced one superstar in less than four months, and don't be too surprised if the NXT Season 2 winner breaks into the WWE big time.
CM Punk, John Morrison, The Miz, Sheamus, Evan Bourne, Bobby Lashley. I count six and other than Lashley all of those guys have pretty decent sized fan/hater followings in the majority audience. And of those 6 four have either held or at least competed for the world title and the Miz has a guaranteed shot at it.

Yes, but there's a common factor between those three guys. They all suck/sucked. Every single guy in NXT is more entertaining than those names you just mentioned, even Heath Slater. They are also better wrestlers, even Heath Slater.
No they really aren't the NXT guys as a whole are pretty fucking abysmal in the ring. And they aren't that entertaining, I much preferred Heideinreich's mini-feud with the Undertaker and Snitsky's feud with Kane to anything the Nexus is doing.

Except given them a launching point for their storyline. Let's say they forwent NXT, and just had these 8 guys show up on RAW one night. What brought them together? FCW? What the fuck is that? Why should I care about there 7 random strangers I've never heard of before and that guy that I heard about on the internet? I'm just a typical WWE fan, and I don't understand why these guys think they can take over the WWE like this...
Considering 2 thirds of the RAW audience didn't watch NXT what did it matter? They saw a group of guys who'd been on once, one of whom had just beatend the Miz in a match as a face, suddenly band together and attack Cena who hadn't interacted with anyone other than Barrett. Most people had no clue who they were anyway. If you're a typical WWE fan you've seen them twice before the attack. How does that justify NXT's existence?

[QOTE]Enough role playing, saying NXT didn't do much for them is the weakest argument I've seen in this thread yet. It gave them an opportunity to perform in front of a real crowd in real venues, get in the ring with wrestlers who have been around the block many many times, and it probably helped them make friends backstage, something that you can never have to much of.[/QUOTE]
Helped them make friends in the back is a strong argument now? Ok then. They've been in the ring with wrestlers who've been around at FCW anyway. Who do you think they use as trainers? You have one point, the crowd. But still give new guys some crowd experience does not justify an entire hour of programming.

Speak for yourself man, I was very interested in Gabriel and Tarver. Also, keep in mind that Bryan left half-way through the season, so by your logic, we all became half as interested in the program? No, I stuck through to the very end.
I don't understand how you can be interested in a guy who never did anything and a poor man's Austin Aries. Most people watched NXT for Bryan. Hell most of the WWE's audience didn't watch it at all.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. Gabriel will go places that Evan Bourne can only dream of going.
Bullshit, Evan Bourne is about 10 times more interesting than Gabriel. Here's Justin Gabriel the cliffnotes version: He's got a south african accent and he wrestles the ring of honor style except he's not anywhere near as good as those guys, nor does he have a personality.

Tarver is magic on the mic, and if he can work on some fierce in ring work, he'll be a force. Skip Sheffield has the look and voice of a dumb but powerful heel, and David Otunga can be a more clean-cut version of heel MVP.
Tarver has good mic skills but is terrible in the ring. I must laugh at the idea that he's "magic" on the mic. Scott Hall was magic on the mic. Tarver's mic. skill is on the level of a mid-90's midcarder. So basically a modern day maineventer. But he's still awful in the ring.

Big dumb heel? I remember another big dumb heel like that, actually I remember about 400 of them. They fizzle out and go nowhere fast. Case in point Mike Knox.

And David Otunga is going to be another terrible body-builder who can't work a match and over stays his welcome.

Heath Slater may lose out, and Darren Young will probably float around somewhere in Zack Ryder territory, but the majority of these guys will be just fine.
Bullshit, Slater and Young will go nowhere and everyone not named Barret will have a maximum achievement of "spent some time in the mid-card".

Uh, no? If anything, I think WWE has been pleasantly surprised with how successful the NXT rookies have been. They never said coming on that every single one of these wrestlers would have been future superstars, they said ONE would be.
They also fired a bunch of better performers some of whom had personalities, to make room for them. If you can justify firing Gregory Helms and hiring Darren Young, I'd love to hear it. For that matter Paul Burchill too.

I don't get where you naysayers are getting this, "EVERYONE SHOULD BE A SUPERSTAR BY NOW!" bullshit. If these guys were introduced on RAW, they'd be lost in the crowd, never given the chance to stand out.
No one's saying that. And they were introduced on RAW. Like I said, 2/3 people who watch RAW never saw NXT.

Or because it makes for an awesome, awesome story.
subjective.

Multiple sources have said it's almost inevitable that BD will be back in the WWE. He has John fricken Cena on his side. He'll be fine.
Multiple sources who had nothing to back it up. Mattel Executive beats John Cena.

That's true to an extent, but he really didn't need NXT like the other guys.
So why was he there?

Plenty of fans had already heard of him, and he didn't need the exposure. Even with all the losing, he came close every time, including a near victory over Jericho in the first week.
At one point he literally dominated a match with Darren Young not getting any offense then Young suddenly hit his finisher and Bryan lost. Bryan was buried.

It's certainly fresher than WWECW.[/QOTE]
define fresher? I already sat through tough enough. This isn't a fresh concept to me.

Yes, sticking 7 strangers on RAW without any build-up would have worked really well.
for 2/3's of the audience that's exactly what it was.

It's not like there's anyone else on that show worth watching...
Your words, not mine.

Probably because it's on Tuesday nights on cable. I don't think the goal was to attract every WWE fan, I think it was to get a sizable audience and to give those fans an introduction to these unfamiliar faces, and it has done just that.
It's goal was also to out do it's cancelled predcessor, which it hasn't.

No, Bryan Danielson could have gone in alone, but not Wade Barrett. Wade Barrett was nobody before NXT, and he really proved his talent there.
What talent? And no, again 2/3's of the audience didn't know who he was, yet it still worked out for him.

ECW was a show that was reintroduced. It's no surprise it started out strong, but it fizzled out as it began to suck. Keep in mind, NXT hasn't even been out a year yet, and it's already attracted more viewers than WWE's only competitor.
Can't find that 1.5 NXT rating. Can you help?

I'd say that it's off to a pretty good start for a program that hasn't been around very long at all.
It has been around, it's exactly the same show as WWECW, slightly different format, same time slot, same purpose. It's not a new show.

Fair enough, but it's far too early to call it a failure.
debatable.

Well, it's not that it came off as you being anti-WWE, but also because it's a stupid argument. There's no need to bash TNA though, I agree. I would just be careful to take shots at NXT and praise TNA when they are about equally successful on a commercial basis
Not really, NXT's just a show, TNA's a company. There aren't ever going to be any NXT-tours. It's just a silly comparison, the OP wasn't NXT has the same ratings as TNA,it was has NXT failed in it's personal goals and to me the argument can be made that it has, it hasn't outdone it's predecessor which was cancelled due to lack of interest, again all of those guys in the Nexus had to re-establish themselves after they realised the majority RAW audience had no idea who they were. I'm not seeing the success of the actual show itself.

What exactly is NXT's goal? If it is just to introduce new stars in a slightly different way, where you can do it in bulk instead of one at a time, it has done it's job. I don't know how many of them will "make it" when all is said and done, but that is the case with any newcomer. Whether you bring them in 1 at a time or 7 at a time, some are going to be future superstars, and others are going to be future endeavored.

If it was to present a reality based look at the lives of WWE hopefuls, learning the ropes, etc it has been a miserable failure. This is what I initially expected NXT to be when they announced it, and clearly that wasn't what they had in mind.

However, I have much higher hopes for the season 2 cast for more being ultimately successful. Among season 1, the only one who I ever thought had a shot at all was Wade Barrett or Bryan Danielson. Everyone else is simply not talented enough. Justin Gabriel may start out strong, but I can't see him ever being elevated to anything other than the small underdog role, which they already have Evan Bourne for. Unless the WWE brings back the cruiserweight division, Gabriel doesn't really have a place.

With season 2, I can see at least 4 of the final 5 making it. As athletic as he is, I am not sold on Kaval's size yet...but even that is a maybe.

Husky Harris is a natural. He has size, attitude, and speed. He won't win, but I think he is currently the most ready to immediately step into the ring on Raw or Smackdown and look like he belongs.

Alex Riley also impresses me a lot. He seems decent in the ring, but is very comfortable on the mic. His tools are different than Husky's, but equally capable.

Percy Watson is not my favorite, his gimmick annoys me...but the fans are eating it up. He will get a shot on one of the shows, if only for the potential entertainment value.

That leaves us with Joe Hennig. (I don't like the McGillicutty name, and I think within a few months of being called up, he is going to be called by his real name anyway). Joe is going to make it. The WWE likes multi-generational gimmicks, he is athletic, and good looking. Joe looks like a pro wrestler.

If the WWE wanted every NXT performer to be a future star, then season 1 probably will be seen as a failure in a year or so. Season 2 isn't even done yet, so I can't say if its a success or a failure, but I do think it has a higher overall potential for success than season 1.

Nxt is such a big failure, That it has already brought us a main eventer out of Wade Barret, Who is getting his first title shot at Night Of Champions, Which is the biggest title there is the WWE Championship. It's such a failure it has brang us the high flying Justin Gabriel who is exciting in ring and a treat to watch. It is such a failure it has brang us the strong,dominant monster of Skip Sheffield who is just dominating in the ring. It is such a failure that it has brang us one of the most exciting fueds of the last few years which is the Nexus storyline. Hmmmm yep Nxt must suck.

I don't see how it is a failure at all. Would we care about Barret if he had some stupid promo vidoes of him in London beating up guys in fist fights??? Hell No. Sheffield on a farm, Husky doing god knows what, Riley on a college football field?? The answer is NO. NXT has given us an insight to the new younger guys and in a sense has let us decide who is ready and who isn't. 4 guys from this season are going to be stars from the get go, (Hennig, Kaval, Riley, & Harris). At least 5 of the guys from season 1 have real long term futures (Bryan, Barret, Otunga, Skip, & Gabriel). So that is 9 new talents at the very least in a little under 6 months. When was the last time you can say any company had an injection of talent like that, that was worth it. (TNA'S Jan influx sucked but thats another story for another day). Im interested if the rumors of Season 3 being co-ed are true. Season 3 should be headlined by Tyler Black and possibly Consequences Creed so that should be interesting. So NO IMO NXT is not a failure.

(I'm stuck at work, so please forgive me for not reading through 7 pages of responses).

From a concept standpoint, I don't even think you can even really say that NXT is a failure. I honestly think that NXT is used as a "faster" vehicle for WWE to weed out who's worth keeping and who's not. What I mean by that is before NXT, we were spoon-fed stars one by one. It followed a formula: The WWE would start showing vignettes for debuting superstars. They would finally debut, and judging by the audience reaction, they'd either push them or let them go (case in point: Kizarny, Sean O'Haire, Mordecai). The WWE would run this with so many up-and-comers waiting in the wings that they couldn't get them ready fast enough. Now with NXT, you can bring in 7-8 guys, have them show their stuff for an hour every week, get an idea of who these guys are about, and the audience gets to pick and choose who they like. Then the WWE can go in and evaluate what their audience is into and move in that direction. In one year, we've seen the debuts of 16 guys on NXT, where more than half of these guys are regulars on TV. On the other side of the coin, you have Smackdown with the slow addition of 2 SES members, Alberto Del Rio, and Raw with The Usos and Tamina, all of which haven't had the same impact as NXT has.

So from a business aspect, they now have over 20 debuting stars (including everyone from Raw, Smackdown, and NXT), 16 of which are from NXT, including the 7 from Nexus, the rest being split between Smackdown and Raw. The Nexus angle alone guarantees merchandise sales. Out of those coming from NXT, I would say that Barrett, Gabriel, Sheffield, Danielson, Kaval, Tarver, Otunga (unfortunately), Hennig/McGillicutty, Riley, and Watson all have solid or somewhat solid futures in the WWE. Presentation-wise, yes, NXT might not have been all that great, but in the end, the WWE's making money off of it in the long run.

I'd disagree with you there, good sir. Sure, other than the very first episode it hasn't been the most entertaining show out there, but it's certainly just as entertaining as ECW was in it's dying years. That was a show that featured a Shelton/Ryder feud for about 3 straight months. Yuck.

I respect your opinion, but I just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed the "dying ECW". It was nice to see guys who could actually entertain me such as Paul Burchill, Zack Ryder, Shelton Benjamin, Christian, Jack Swagger, William Regal, and Ezekiel Jackson. :blush:

As for NXT I don't really know what to think about it. Perhaps I would rather see wrestlers debut normally, but atleast with NXT we get to see them, right? :shrug: So yeah I watch NXT just because I like to see what is going on, but I don't think it is the best way to go about introducing new wrestlers. And I cannot help to agree with the creator of this thread, I'ts Damn Real, that judging them solely on obstacle courses and "beer carrying contests" is really lame. They should focus more on in ring skills and somewhat on promos.

I'm seriously feeling like people are missing the point of the contests they have on NXT. Part of being a WWE wrestler, or just a wrestler in general, is the ability to improvise when needed. It's the ability to be entertaining, even when maybe you're giving something that might not seem overly entertaining. Was the kiss competition REALLY about who the better kisser was? Of course not. It was so the WWE could see how each of the rookies improvised in the scene and whether they entertained the crowd doing it, based solely on having to kiss some ugly chick. These are tests for the rookies to show some character, to get a reaction.

And people are focusing on that aspect far too much in my opinion, as usually (aside from the kissing contest) those segments take very little time in the overall show. The punching contest was like five minutes at the start of the show and the rest of NXT was all wrestling and promos. Last week's show was entirely wrestling and promos. So if you're viewing NXT as failing based off the contests you're a little off based.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back