Could This Work for NXT?

Madico_Fs

Australian Heavyweight Champion
Hi all,

First thread in a while and I thought today id talk about the current state of WWE Programing, more so NXT. Originally I thought it was replace ECW as a third brand to help promote more FCW stars sort of like ECW but with very little to do with the Main Roster.

Now My Idea:

Triple H comes out on Raw and says that at Wrestlemania we will see a Triple Threat Match between the 3 Remaining NXT Competitors (not fair calling them rookies when they are beating guys on the main roster).

Winner will get a contract for Raw or Smackdown, and the NXT After Wrestlemania will be a Draft Program in which WWE will draft some Superstars to NXT (Slater, Hawkings, Rek etc) and have it act as the third brand of the WWE but unlike its predecessor it will not have nearly as much interaction with the main roster.

Then on this show WWE can bring up guys such as KoW (either as a team or singles) and other guys like Richie Steamboat, Brett Dibaise etc. As for Titles WWE can use the FCW Heavyweight Title as the shows title.

On a Pay Per View NXT could have a match or 2, but what would work also is if WWE had Sunday Night Heat where the NXT Stars can get some exposure and interact with the main roster.

Of course WWE could have to eventually bring up some stars to Raw and Smackdown, but this concept could be used to promote a storyline such as:

Drew McIntyre can't get a win and is sent to NXT to hone his craft.

So Basically,

~NXT as a Brand Show instead of a competitor reality show,
~Have the Show stay 1hour,
~Try get it on TV...Hell even Spike TV if you must (Still get better ratings that Impact lol)
~Promote the hell out of these guys as they are the Future of the WWE.

So my questions to you the IWC:

1. Do you like the Idea?
2. What would you change?
3. Could you see it working and putting over other stars?
4. Do you think the FCW Title on International TV would Raise its Prestige?
5. If the show had a General Manager who would you want? (Personally I wouldnt mind Matt Stiker or William Regal)

I think the WWE has this planned Regal became GM this week so that makes me think that they are planning NXT to be the next Heat but not on Sunday. This also makes me think once again that Brand Extension might end i mean Brand Extension was to get people who were not seen on Raw screen time. But with this NXT Gm thing it could be used to build Talent to make them possible for a Title run of some sort leading to them being on the Main Brands

I like NXT in its current format. Since the NXT guys are technically part of the main brands anyway, I would have NXT institute a "talent exchange" (similar to the one that WWECW used to push the La Familia stable, Miz, Morrison & Matt Hardy) with RAW and SmackDown.

This is what I would change.

ALL of the NXT alumni toregardless of their current position on the card would officially be part of the NXT roster, although cross branded with the main brands.

• AJ (dual branded with SmackDown
  • Aksana (dual branded with SmackDown)
  • Alex Riley (dual branded with RAW)
  • Brodus Clay (dual branded with RAW)
  • Daniel Bryan (dual branded with SmackDown)
  • Darren Young (dual branded with SmackDown)
  • David Otunga (dual branded with RAW)
  • Derrick Bateman (dual branded with SmackDown
  • Heath Slater (dual branded with SmackDown)
  • Johnny Curtis (dual branded with SmackDown
  • Justin Gabriel (dual branded with SmackDown)
  • Kaitlyn (dual branded with SmackDown)
  • Maxine (dual branded with SmackDown)
  • Michael McGillicutty (dual branded with RAW)
  • Percy Watson (dual branded with SmackDown)
  • Titus O'Neil
  • Wade Barrett (dual branded with SmackDown)

Former NXT pros like Tyson Kidd & Ted DiBiase would also show up.

Because The Usos, Curt Hawkins, Tyler Reks and Trent Barreta were never part of the competition in any shape or form, they would be "kicked off of NXT" and sent to RAW or SmackDown.

The former NXT rookies would be treated like "a special group of talent" rather than "the guys who aren't ready for prime time." The idea that NXT is "lower" or "lesser" than RAW or SmackDown will be scrapped, and the NXT roster will be treated as equals because of some of the higher level guys being moved to it. Bryan and Barrett would be part of NXT; they would be the "success stories" and the faces of the NXT brand. Occasionally upper card wrestlers who were former NXT pros (i.e. Punk, Cody, Miz, R-Truth, Ryder etc.) would make appearances on the NXT show to draw interest.

NXT would not have its own title. Instead, the current champions would appear on NXT to defend their titles, but ONLY if they are a former NXT Rookie or Pro.

It's an interesting idea with potential, I just don't see WWE going for it right now. Comparatively speaking, NXT is small potatoes at this time since it doesn't have a television deal. I think the possibility of such changes coming about would be more feesible when & if the show returns to television.

For all intents and purposes, NXT has become another WWE brand with the "NXT Rookies" now as part of the main roster. After all, we've seen a few of the "Rookies" featured in matches now and again on Raw & SD!, usually in battle royals but they've been on both the big shows at any rate. That's something that didn't really happen during the previous seasons of the show. Right now, I think WWE is ultimately holding out for NXT to be a show on the WWE Network. There's an article on the New York Post talking about some major difficulties going on in regards to the launch of the network and I mostly find myself hoping that WWE just gives up on it rather than take the risk of doing some major damage to themselves financially. I'm sure if WWE shopped around hard enough, they'd find homes for shows like NXT, Superstars & WWE Legends' House. I don't think Syfy would have much of a problem with any or all of those shows if WWE puts forth some real, solidified effort into making them seem & feel relevant. After all, SD! has been the #1 show on Syfy by a hefty margin since it debuted, so maybe NXT could be a lead in show or a follow up show to SD!.

With William Regal as the NXT General Manager, the show looks to be its own mini brand. The only elements missing are championships, which weren't needed before because of the "Season Winner" concept. Honestly the competition aspect of the show was a total failure, because each winner has gone on to be less successful than the competitors that they "beat." Let's look at them:

Wade Barrett: The most successful NXT winner still can't top rival Daniel Bryan who has won 2 championships including a world title.
Kaval: Left the company shortly after winning
Kaitlyn: Still on NXT
Johnny Curtis: Still on NXT

Obviously the concept doesn't quite fit with what WWE wants to do when building talent. So NXT is becoming a brand, much like WWECW was a few years ago. Does this mean NXT will get its own "world championship?" Honestly I don't think it should, and I've heard plenty of alternative suggestions like a medal, trophy or lesser title belt that would work. If NXT stays an online show, they could always use Zack Ryder's "Internet Champion" concept.

The original concept of NXT was great... but it failed. There are plenty of guys on the roster than could benefit from being on NXT and Superstars weekly. A talent exchange would be great but we could also have some guys from FCW come up and use it as testing ground for them and other WWE stars. It would be a great way to build the bottom of the card that has been lacking as of late... It seems to be if youre not in the WWE/WHC picture or the IC/US champ you're not on the main shows... it would help some other guys that aren't getting chances a bit of TV time to help them get over and eventually get onto the main shows.

Well, earlier this week, Bateman, Young, and Watson have been officially moved to the SmackDown brand so I don't think it's going to get its own title anytime soon. Everyone is probably going to start getting pushed after Wrestlemania, once Rock, Taker, HHH, and Jericho are gone.

I'm all for the idea of a low carder belt, just not an "NXT exclusive" one.

I'm all for the reality competition aspect of NXT going away. The problem wasn't so much that the competition idea 'failed' (although it got pretty brutal with crap like the obstacle course) but rather that WWE simply ran out of ammo. You can't keep pumping in a new crop of 8 WWE-ready competitors every few months. There aren't enough guys in FCW that are ready for prime time. Look at the talent gap between the first NXT class and the rest. Barrett and Bryan are major players, Otunga, Slater, and Gabriel have all stuck around on the primetime shows. The rest of the NXT lot are mostly hanging around the fringes of the roster. Even the winners are irrelevant.

I like the idea of NXT becoming a simple low-card show, where these guys get to wrestle long matches, carry out feuds, and work on their characters (like Reks and Hawkins have been doing.) That's more beneficial to them than a damn wheelbarrow race.

i think NXT should be cancelled.. this season is WAY too long. Seasons 1 and 2 were great but after that it was pointless!

they should just make FCW a show and put it on the wwe network or on wwe.com so we can all see guys like tyler black, and the kings of wrestling ;)

i think NXT should be cancelled.. this season is WAY too long. Seasons 1 and 2 were great but after that it was pointless!

they should just make FCW a show and put it on the wwe network or on wwe.com so we can all see guys like tyler black, and the kings of wrestling ;)

It is no longer seasons now, it is one entity of a brand for WWE now.

I hope WWE doesn't make a hash of this all, before WWECW dwindled down completely it provided to be a great brand for breaking in talents from FCW gearing them up for the big leagues. I like the idea of using the FCW Championship on the show, as if they are going to make a brand of it then give it a title. The direction NXT has now, has potential as when it was just running on as NXT Redemption..I was thinking why didn't they just make it into a brand?

Let's hope this can work, put some of the guys from RAW & Smackdown that barely get any TV time mixed in with some of the FCW talents...then this could be an interesting concept.

I think that they could have NXT alumni
and thay can have 3 titles
NXT championship
this is for gus like Wade Barrett or Daniel Bryan

NXT tag team championship
this is for guys like Heath Slater, David Otunga, Micheal McGillicutty or Justin Gabriel

NXT divas championship
this is for divas like Naiomi, Kaitlyn, AJ, Maxine, Jaime Keys or Aksana could have a surprise and have Aloisa (who was meant to be Vickie's rookie)

And they could have a thing where each week a former pro like CM Punk, The Miz or Chris Jerico challenges a random former rookie and also have a former Diva pro each week and wrestle a random former Diva rookie.

I think the GM should Be William Regal.

WWE kinda needs a 3rd brand right now, there is talent on the roster that are not getting TV time on either RAW or Smackdown. This show needs to be the 3rd brand where that talent that doesn't get that TV time has some relevance because to me WWE Superstars really has no relevance to me whatsoever.

WWE kinda needs a 3rd brand right now, there is talent on the roster that are not getting TV time on either RAW or Smackdown. This show needs to be the 3rd brand where that talent that doesn't get that TV time has some relevance because to me WWE Superstars really has no relevance to me whatsoever.

It's not that they aren't getting enough TV time, it's that the main-eventers are getting more TV time than necessary. On Smackdown, your lesser talent gets a decent amount of exposure. RAW not so much, because all the BIG angles (i.e. Cena/Rock, HHH/Taker, the annual hot summer angles) happen on RAW, in addition to the Supershow where the main eventers from SmackDown eat up even more time.

I think that they could have NXT alumni
and thay can have 3 titles
NXT championship
this is for gus like Wade Barrett or Daniel Bryan

NXT tag team championship
this is for guys like Heath Slater, David Otunga, Micheal McGillicutty or Justin Gabriel

NXT divas championship
this is for divas like Naiomi, Kaitlyn, AJ, Maxine, Jaime Keys or Aksana could have a surprise and have Aloisa (who was meant to be Vickie's rookie)

And they could have a thing where each week a former pro like CM Punk, The Miz or Chris Jerico challenges a random former rookie and also have a former Diva pro each week and wrestle a random former Diva rookie.

I think the GM should Be William Regal.

Some people say that there are too many belts in the WWE as it is. Even though NXT is the "minor leagues" I don't think that it should be made blatantly obvious.

I think that Barrett and Bryan in their current roles are fine, but they should show up on NXT regularly to cut promos while maintaining their regular spots on SmackDown. Since Bryan is already the World Heavyweight Champion it would be a big deal if he showed up and made an open challenge for the belt or something. Even though he'd obviously win, it would fit his "YES YES YES" gimmick if he made a big deal out of beating someone like Bateman or Riley.

There are very few teams to compete for just one set of tag team titles, so I wouldn't make a second set of tag titles just for NXT, I would just form teams out of the current guys (Bateman & Curtis would make a good tag team) and have them compete for the WWE Tag Team Titles.

I think it'd work better as a net show. Shit, add it to their youtube stuff. Most people don't care about people they don't know. Have them start out on the net, get a little bit of a following, then put them on SD, then Raw.

People want to see the highest level of competition. There's a reason why the WNBA draws a fraction of the NBA; or why for the most part, A ball draws less than AA and AA draws less than AAA and AAA draws less than MLB. Don't basically put out a product that says "this is the minor leagues".

~NXT as a Brand Show instead of a competitor reality show

NXT still exists? :p

In all seriousness, NO. Absolutely not. WWE does not need to make a 3rd brand. It would be a mistake because they are struggling to provide decent ratings for a second brand in Smackdown at the moment, let alone having to keep THREE brands alive. Adding a 3rd brand at this point would be a worse disaster than WWE's ECW was.

~Have the Show stay 1hour

And here is part of the reason why. WWE's ECW was seen as inferior to Raw and Smackdown from day 1 due to not being 2 hours like them and not having a full set of belts like them. A new brand needs to be on equal footing with the brands already in place, why would the fans care about it otherwise? Making NXT a 1 hour show third brand would do nothing to benefit WWE right now.

~Try get it on TV...Hell even Spike TV if you must (Still get better ratings that Impact lol)

They already had it on tv and things were going fine until the divas only season caused people to not care anymore. They are better off just getting rid of it at this point now that they stopped giving the winners their title shots (or pushes for that matter) and for whatever reason refuse to end the current season.

~Promote the hell out of these guys as they are the Future of the WWE.

If they had given the season 3 and season 4 winners their rightful pushes once they reached Raw/Smackdown we would not have this problem. Heck, it doesn't have to just be the winners. Guys like Otunga, Riley, and Brodus did not win but have been given pushes. Promote NXT regulars onto the main brands and give them a shot. Push them THERE as the future of WWE. It's better than pushing them as the future on a show that has a fanbase so small you can count them all on one hand.

What would you change?

I would get rid of NXT entirely. It's pointless now. Superstars is already around for guys who are not onscreen for either of the main brands, and can also be a place to showcase developmental talent looking to move up. The only other option would be for NXT to return to its original concept. The winner (and a couple of other strong names) get the pushes they were promised. It needs to be on tv too rather than online, and a competition rather than a 3rd brand. WWE should never have a 3rd brand until they have the roster space to promote 3 full sets of belts.

Do you think the FCW Title on International TV would Raise its Prestige?

No. The casual fans have no idea what FCW is. Keep it in developmental. Once someone reaches the main rosters, they start a new chapter in their careers and anything they did before then no longer matters, whether that be in another federation or in developmental territories of WWE.

If the show had a General Manager who would you want? (Personally I wouldnt mind Matt Stiker or William Regal)

Matt Striker as the host of NXT was a perfect fit and he should remain the authority figure there, although since it will never be a full 3rd brand all he needs to be is just a host for the competition. Or if they do away with NXT (it's possible, now that so few care about it) he can and should return to the announcing team, that's my two cents on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back