Cryptic "01/02/2012" Video - Chris Jericho Returns- KEEP IT IN HERE! - NO SPAMMING!

Eh...part of me was hoping that Brodus Clay rushed Jericho and threw him off the stage.

But with the whole IWC telling the IWC that Jericho will be heel, that wouldn't work so much.

It's funny, because with everyone bitching on the Internet about his return being a disappointment, they are basically telling fans to "Boo this man." next week. So of course when the lemmings boo Jericho next week the same "smarkholes" will go online and be 'right'...

I feel like it was supposed to be stupid an annoying. I sure felt stupid aftewards, and I was totally pissed. But I think you're wrong when you say it wasn't heel brilliance. The guy made EVERYONE look like an idiot! He went from megaface to supreme douchebag in 10 minutes, and all without saying a word.

I thought it was horrible. For weeks WWE has been playing those cryptic type promos. Jericho comes out in a goofy jacket...he is running around the ring with a big happy smile, and playing with the cameraman. His new "image" just didn't fit those videos hyping him up.

The only part that liked is that he didn't talk. That did build up the suspense. And it pissed the crowd off which he needs to do if he is a heel.

When Raw went off the air Monday, I felt compelled to check out some Jericho youtube videos. After watching Jericho's second coming speech, which involved him interrupting one of Randy Ortan's heel promos, I noticed that Randy says "If you would have stayed on raw, it would have only been a matter of time before i kicked you in the head, and ended your career". That ended up being the truth, because the "Patented" head punt ends up being the explanation for why Jericho left in the first place.

I found this very interesting, because Ortan ended up getting injured on Tuesdays taping of Smackdown, and then Jericho debuts the very next Monday. Now, as far as I know, the injury is legit, and that wasn't planned, but I thought the coincidence of it was pretty crazy.

Whatever the reason for his return is, i'm assuming Jericho is probably going to have a big match at Wrestlemania. Afterwords, if Ortan can't heal in time to make it to 'mania, then I think his coming back opponent could easily be Y2J. This would give Jericho something to do after 'mania too.

I see a lot of storyline potential here. You never see Ortan get thrown down the stairs, so he could reveal Jericho was the one who did it. Perhaps he attacked afterwords or something. The fact that Wade Barrett was Jericho's NXT rookie could add something to it maybe. All the dots are there, they just need to connect them the right way. What do you guys think?

It was an effective return. It was funny to see him mess with the crowd and point out how stupid they are. "Oh no we acidentally cheered for a bad guy? Let's hurry up and boo!" Hilarious. Towards the end someone even tried to start a CM Punk chant lmao. I'm excited about his return. I like the way he did that. It was also a good move on the WWEs part because everyone will want their questions answered and will have to tune in next week to get those answers.

This whole thing is a bit of a double-edged sword. On one hand, if they go in the direction of Y2J being the cocky, arrogant rock star who doesn't understand why the crowd would boo someone so 'awesome' and, as someone on here has already mentioned, puts the blame on the fans for being so fickle as to boo him when he hasn't done anything heelish then I can understand that. Jericho is great at being both a heel and a face but certainly flourishes more in the heel role. And a title run of matches between Jericho and CM Punk would be great to see if only for the fact it's not been done before. However.....
WWE could have given fans more of a pay-off last night given the weeks of hype this thing had - there was no doubt it felt a little, anti-climatic and the majority of their fan base is not the same as it once was. Now more so than ever, WWE need to try and hook in the casual fan who seems to have only been watching for the last few years (seriously, no reaction for Lita and Goldust, wtf?) and who will not realise that to get the full pay-off from an angle, they need to pay attention for more than a few weeks - Raw did not seem to achieve that. And, given that WWE (Raw in particular) is running short of main-event faces that anyone over the age of 12 can get behind (yes, Cena I mean you) it perhaps would have been a better fit to have Jericho come back as a face, at least in the short term. I for one am interested to see how it plays out, but I do feel like WWE dropped the ball just a little on Monday.

One thing I didn't like was that they didn't do the Jericho countdown clock on the titantron.

When the lights were out and he was standing there and in the light up jacket, I thought the countdown clock was going to start then the fireworks when it got to zero, then the music. Instead they did the fireworks and went right into music.

One other point is that this whole thing and the fan reaction to it is quite indicitive about the pitfalls of the "IWC" at the moment. As a member of said "IWC" (and I'm beginning to loathe that term as much as I do "WWE Universe"), I must admit that one thing everyone seems to have been quite vocal about recently is how disappointed they are with WWE's policy of short-term booking, going for the pay-off too quickly and their reluctance to stretch things out over a decent period of time, making for a long, interesting storyline. So now, when it looks like that's what they're attempting to do with Jericho, a lot of people criticise WWE for not giving them more up-front?!!! I have a lot of criticism for WWE for not doing more to appeal to the "IWC" at times (I prefer to use the term 'dedicated wrestling fans') but in situations like this, it does seem like they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, it's likely but there are just far too many posts to read through to be sure, there's talk that Jericho's enthusiastic response to th fans on Monday night was sort of a work and that he'll actually be a heel. Jericho himself has said that he's more comfortable as a heel and it's logical that Jericho was going to get a huge face response because it was his first time in a WWE ring in over 15 months.

His facial reactions did change to one that may have looked like disgust when he dropped the mic. If the idea is for Jericho to face CM Punk for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania, then Jericho really being heel does make sense. Fans have to have someone to root for or root against, and WWE is certainly not turning Punk heel.

In a short while, maybe as soon as this coming Monday, Jericho will get on the mic and deliver a helluva promo, like he always does, we'll ultimately find out what's what. By this time next month, people will be enjoying Jericho do his thing and all the negativity and overreaction to his appearance this past Monday probably won't be anywhere to be seen.

I just wanna remind people that Jericho was really proud of the slow-talking suit-wearing character of his in the last run.

He really created a new type of heel personality which WWE has tried with Miz, Swagger and ADR (esp. fhis first months) and possibly more people in future.

You may not believe me, but I've always thought of a new type of character that cold help WWE gain some depth, and that is the fun asshole/troll/D-bag.

Someone who just goes out there and do something funny without being too serious about it, I mean opposite of a blood/sweat/tears vs. cold/calculating/cheating type of character which include all of current WWE characters. It probably makes him a heel at the beginning but if done right, could become a mega-face.

Think of it as a non-redneck modified verison of Stone Cold.
In recent years there actually two guys who kinda were close to this type, Mr.Anderson who tried to do the asshole gimmick which I think could be the beginning for sth big but lack of talent and lack of good writing ruined it.

Next one to come close was CM Punk in last year's summer, at first I thought he is gonna be that type of character which made me a big fan, but after Kevin Nash's arrival it was ruined too and right now it's been a good 2-3 months that I haven't seen any entertaining from Punk's character.

Right now and I'm thinking that maybe Jericho is gonna be doing this character. Believe it or not his segment on Raw was pretty much what I expected form this character of mine. Just messing with people's emotion and time without any reason and leaving like nthing has happened.

Now he is back, I KNOW that he will be trying to create another new type of character, he does that segment, and all he does besides that is trolling on twitter in recent months, which pretty much raises the hope in me to see my character come to life. Maybe I'm just too excited, but I'm dying to see Jericho the D-bag troll.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, it's likely but there are just far too many posts to read through to be sure, there's talk that Jericho's enthusiastic response to th fans on Monday night was sort of a work and that he'll actually be a heel. Jericho himself has said that he's more comfortable as a heel and it's logical that Jericho was going to get a huge face response because it was his first time in a WWE ring in over 15 months.

His facial reactions did change to one that may have looked like disgust when he dropped the mic. If the idea is for Jericho to face CM Punk for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania, then Jericho really being heel does make sense. Fans have to have someone to root for or root against, and WWE is certainly not turning Punk heel.

In a short while, maybe as soon as this coming Monday, Jericho will get on the mic and deliver a helluva promo, like he always does, we'll ultimately find out what's what. By this time next month, people will be enjoying Jericho do his thing and all the negativity and overreaction to his appearance this past Monday probably won't be anywhere to be seen.

It has been mentioned...it's why I believe so many of the so-called smarks are so pissed off. They got played, and are embarrassed. They think they are so damn smart, and are furious that they weren't smart enough to get the joke. Now they claim they aren't going to watch anymore, because apparently the exact details of how Chris Jericho returned are of the utmost importance to their wrestling viewing habits, and that if it's not done EXACTLY like they imagined while they were *********ing to the idea of a Jericho return, they are done...as if the WWE cares, because they know damn well that 99.99% of all of the smarks claiming they are done for good are full of shit.

Then, they will wait until next week's Raw ratings, which will be lower, and claim that how they handled Jericho's return was responsible for it, while completely ignoring the fact that at the same time Raw airs next week, the NCAA National Championship game will also be on, and MIGHT draw a significant amount of viewers away.

Then, after they keep watching Raw for a few weeks (despite claiming they would never watch again) they will go back to blaming {insert popular wrestler who is the current enemy of the IWC here} for Raw not drawing in the 5s anymore, and life will go back to normal.

i didnt get it at first and had to watch it back but now i do i think it was agood way to bring jericho back.

More important though is the question.......who is SHE?

Slow builds are great for storylines but I don't think they work very well with a big debut or re-debut. Remember Karma's debut? That was a typical monster debut except she also accomplished starting an angle with KK just by staring at her and walking away. That was an exciting way to introduce Karma. I feel this Jericho trolling debut was the opposite. No matter how "smart" it might have been it was not interesting to casual fans. Yes he could turn out to have the best storyline since Punk's promo on the ramp but this was his re-introduction to the fans. If they don't care or are turned off by this then they might not stick around for his amazing evolving storyline.

Also slow builds also have disadvantages. The Nash angle started off fairly promisingly with mystery and questions and sloooowly led to a pile of horseshit and one of the dumbest side plots in history with the walkout. Even when WWE goes slow they still have a problem with the middle and end of stories. They are decent at starting an angle but almost always drop the ball soon afterwards. Then they either abruptly stop it or let it fester and go on for so long that everyone gets sick of it.

One other point is that this whole thing and the fan reaction to it is quite indicitive about the pitfalls of the "IWC" at the moment. As a member of said "IWC" (and I'm beginning to loathe that term as much as I do "WWE Universe"), I must admit that one thing everyone seems to have been quite vocal about recently is how disappointed they are with WWE's policy of short-term booking, going for the pay-off too quickly and their reluctance to stretch things out over a decent period of time, making for a long, interesting storyline. So now, when it looks like that's what they're attempting to do with Jericho, a lot of people criticise WWE for not giving them more up-front?!!! I have a lot of criticism for WWE for not doing more to appeal to the "IWC" at times (I prefer to use the term 'dedicated wrestling fans') but in situations like this, it does seem like they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

You made some very good points there. Time was when story lines evolved over several months, sometimes longer, and during that they would capture the struggles of both superstars. In the WWE today, they don't do that as much. I think a majority of those watching have been conditioned into the quick pay-off, and no longer expect them to draw out a story line and have it take on new dimensions the further it travels.

I'm still staggered at how quickly the whole CM Punk/leaving with the belt/coming back/fighting Triple H took place. That should still be going on if the writer's could muster a little more imagination. It was a potentially huge story line which was half baked.

With regards to Jericho, I assume the next time we see him he will embody the heel. If the WWE plans to draw it out until at least Wrestlemania then it gives them plenty of scope to try things out and see what works, and gauge crowd reaction at the same time. I'd like to think they won't rush this.

They are in a sense damned if they do, damned if they don't as you pointed out. But I can't help feeling they have brought an awful lot of that on themselves with the way they have rushed story lines through in the past, most recently with Punk. If anything, Chris Jericho is going to have to re-condition the audience into believing in a prolonged angle. He has a wealth of experience and should be more than capable. But whether the people are patient enough I wouldn't wager money on.

Just the idea of CM Punk vs Chris Jericho for the title is exciting. But take all the time necessary to get there. Because we could be talking about one of the greatest feuds ever told, given both their wrestling ability and promo skills.

You made some very good points there. Time was when story lines evolved over several months, sometimes longer, and during that they would capture the struggles of both superstars. In the WWE today, they don't do that as much. I think a majority of those watching have been conditioned into the quick pay-off, and no longer expect them to draw out a story line and have it take on new dimensions the further it travels.

I'm still staggered at how quickly the whole CM Punk/leaving with the belt/coming back/fighting Triple H took place. That should still be going on if the writer's could muster a little more imagination. It was a potentially huge story line which was half baked.

With regards to Jericho, I assume the next time we see him he will embody the heel. If the WWE plans to draw it out until at least Wrestlemania then it gives them plenty of scope to try things out and see what works, and gauge crowd reaction at the same time. I'd like to think they won't rush this.

They are in a sense damned if they do, damned if they don't as you pointed out. But I can't help feeling they have brought an awful lot of that on themselves with the way they have rushed story lines through in the past, most recently with Punk. If anything, Chris Jericho is going to have to re-condition the audience into believing in a prolonged angle. He has a wealth of experience and should be more than capable. But whether the people are patient enough I wouldn't wager money on.

Just the idea of CM Punk vs Chris Jericho for the title is exciting. But take all the time necessary to get there. Because we could be talking about one of the greatest feuds ever told, given both their wrestling ability and promo skills.

Spot on about the CM Punk situation there, mate. It would've been great if that was dragged out for months, with Punk appearing via the titantron at other promotion's events, ROH, New Japan, etc (even if WWE doesn't have an existing working relationship with said promotions the clout that Vince has in the industry and the exposure it would've given them, they wouldn't have said no) with the belt - there's so many things they could've done but no, what happens? not only do they crown another champion within 2 weeks but they put it on John Cena? Again?!! That totally sapped all relevance of Punk's leaving and not only that, relevance in the WWE championship - relevance which has sadly been waning in the last few years anyway. But what you said about WWE bringing it on themselves is interesting - it's a chicken/egg situation in that who is really to blame for WWE's lack of willingness to prolong a storyline? Is it their's for doing it or is the fans' for lapping it up so much that they've encouraged WWE to do it more?

As for the guy who said that for Jericho/Punk to work it makes sense for Y2J to go heel, given the booking policy in both TNA and WWE in the recent past, I can understand why you'd say that but that's another thing that's really wrong in both companies at the moment - the lack of confidence in the product and the belt as a meaningful title that writers are unable to trust that fans would be interested enough to just see 2 good workers feud over the belt. the Christian vs Randy Orton and James Storm vs Bobby Roode feuds are prime examples - there was no need to turn Roode and Christian heel, certainly not so quickly. And if you're gonna do it, hint at it and do it slowly (see Richards vs Edwards in ROH) as to be fair, Christian's swift kick to Orton's nuts was pretty cool and would've been a great way to turn him heel. But has the lack of meaning in the world titles gotten so bad that it can't be salvaged?

It's a slow burning return. Something that I don't think has been done before (Which makes a change for the WWE), yet people still complain. It's been done so many times before where a person comes back and within ten minutes tells why he's back, what he's going to do and that he either loves or hates the fans...YAWN. It's refreshing to see a different approach and trust it to be Jericho, whom tells a story better than no one else. While 99.9% of people knew it was Jericho returning, 99.9% of people didn't expect him to say nothing! Actions speak louder than words, so it's a great way of keeping people talking...either good or bad...they are still talking about it. It's going to be interesting to see what happens on RAW, as I see no-one really knowing after Monday what is going to happen next now, as they have really left the door open for anything to happen.

Does anyone have the feeling though that he will remain silent again next week?

it's a chicken/egg situation in that who is really to blame for WWE's lack of willingness to prolong a storyline? Is it their's for doing it or is the fans' for lapping it up so much that they've encouraged WWE to do it more?

I'd be interested to know where you think this began. At what point did the emphasis switch from fleshed out storylines to the instant pay off?

For me the WWE have been trapped in a vortex of their own creation since the Attitude era ended. The calamitous misjudgement of the whole Katy Vick storyline began the slow journey toward a more censored product. One that is now conscious of upsetting people and one that doesn't have the same confidence/ability to write something that puts a different idea on the screen. The Attitude era was new. Untried, untested. Where is there left to go that hasn't been done already?

I'd simplify it. Away with gimmicks, away with lousy stipulations that nobody believes in e.g. loser leaves the company. Make it more psychological. The struggle for supremacy between 2 individuals with the same ambitions to make it all the way. I felt they were tantalizingly close to this when Randy Orton worked his programme with Jeff Hardy and then Triple H leading to Wrestlemania. Randy's heel character embodied more of a psychological edge. I remember being enthralled with his promos at the time. The way he carried himself, his mannerisms, his choice of words, and the way he spoke them. All that has been taken away from Orton and now he comes across as just another guy.

AdamG said:
But has the lack of meaning in the world titles gotten so bad that it can't be salvaged?

It's approaching that. Maybe they should vacate the WWE championship and have a year-long tournament for it that culminates at Wrestlemania. The winner of the Rumble books his place in the match, meeting the winner of the tournament. Both spots would be earnt. Maybe they should think of abolishing the world championship and just having one heavyweight champion who represents the company as a whole. That might give less competition and less opportunities for the up and coming stars e.g. Dolph Ziggler, but with a bit of thought that could be avoided.

its steph mcmahon, why do you think she has been working out? ready to return of course.

She also just had a baby not too long ago if Im not mistaken...I know she has 2 kids.

Its called trying to lose the baby fat. Im sure being on the road as much as she is doesn't help.

Stephanie never was a skinny woman...but by no means am I calling her fat. Im sure she is just trying to maintain a healthy body.

jericho should stay silent crontrol the crowd like puppets then say she is comin next week didnt it say in the 4th video that she has the answers to his return

I'd be interested to know where you think this began. At what point did the emphasis switch from fleshed out storylines to the instant pay off?

For me the WWE have been trapped in a vortex of their own creation since the Attitude era ended. The calamitous misjudgement of the whole Katy Vick storyline began the slow journey toward a more censored product. One that is now conscious of upsetting people and one that doesn't have the same confidence/ability to write something that puts a different idea on the screen. The Attitude era was new. Untried, untested. Where is there left to go that hasn't been done already?

I'd simplify it. Away with gimmicks, away with lousy stipulations that nobody believes in e.g. loser leaves the company. Make it more psychological. The struggle for supremacy between 2 individuals with the same ambitions to make it all the way. I felt they were tantalizingly close to this when Randy Orton worked his programme with Jeff Hardy and then Triple H leading to Wrestlemania. Randy's heel character embodied more of a psychological edge. I remember being enthralled with his promos at the time. The way he carried himself, his mannerisms, his choice of words, and the way he spoke them. All that has been taken away from Orton and now he comes across as just another guy.

It's approaching that. Maybe they should vacate the WWE championship and have a year-long tournament for it that culminates at Wrestlemania. The winner of the Rumble books his place in the match, meeting the winner of the tournament. Both spots would be earnt. Maybe they should think of abolishing the world championship and just having one heavyweight champion who represents the company as a whole. That might give less competition and less opportunities for the up and coming stars e.g. Dolph Ziggler, but with a bit of thought that could be avoided.

It's hard to say when the whole instant pay-off thing began really but it's certainly been more noticable since the switch to PG. I think that it has limited WWE's writing staff in their ideas to the point where they've resorted to just quick-turning people heel/face so the casual fan can have a good-guy vs bad-guy dynamic to keep them interested. And I think this has led into the idea of the WWE/World titles as less of a viable commodity to battle over and because of WWE's fear of casual fans losing interest they've been reluctant to keep the belts on 1 person for too long. (Plus having a down-sized roster has meant less of an effective brand split and a lack of realistic world champions).

dont see another Jericho return thread, but lol he did the same thing tonight, and then "cried" cause fans welcomed him back.I see this going on until rumblr

I guess nobody really cares anymore about what they are doing with Y2J's return?

Too many here are concerned with Brodus Clay?

Anywho, I agree with the above post. this could possibly go on until the RR...or until fans just began booing as soon as Y2J is announced.

I'm very much intrigued by what Jericho is doing.

I mean last week, he comes out, doesn't say a word, still gets the fans to boo him and leaves.

Tonight, he comes out the same way, Bright Jacket and all, but this time he starts "crying" and then leaves.

Anybody also happen to catch his Titantron which is all clips from his debut Last Week?

And the way Justin Roberts announced him? "The only mean to defeat The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin in the same night."

He's doing something different every week. Hmmm....

It's like a slow, steady build to something BIG.

Personally I just fast forward through the whole segment this week, no way I was watching this again. It may be fun as a social experiment or for the fans in the attendance but it's pure crap for people watching at home (I had a small laugh when he started crying, watched it for 5 seconds and then resume fast forwarding through it until he left without speaking again... yawn

Sorry for the one calling it a genius return, for a week I can agree that it's genius, but doing it again for week 2.

To me it's like Brodus Clay debut the more they will draw this out and redo the same thing (NO IT'S NOT THE SAME THING HE CRIED AT THE END you would say but it was still basically the same thing he trolled people for 5+ minutes and then left), the more people will lose interest and will just wait for the payoff.

I'm an horrible person I know but that's when I do. When you tease me too much it doesn't build up my interest I just turn it off until they get to the point I care about.

Edit: Oh and before (or after) people blast me too much I don't think I am losing interest because I am part of the problem crowd who wants an instant gratification. I think it has more to do with the fact that I was burned so many time and I saw so many payoff that weren't worth it that I'm not willing to invest as much as I once did without having any idea where they are headed. Because every time something is really interesting they usually drop the ball (of course this time it's probably Jericho who is booking his things so it might be different).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back