Cover Songs That Are Better Than The Originals

Xemmy

of the Le'beau family
More often than not I here from family members that the original is always better. For the most part, I find this statement true. For one, the original came up with the beat, the lyrics, and the message the song may convey.

For example, While Disturbed's version of Land of Confusion was kickass, Genesis' original is often considered better. I happen to be on that train.

The question is, what cover songs do you consider absolutely better than their predecessors? And explain why.

I have two sets to share.
1st- Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush, Covered by Placebo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snb5729vZe0 - Kate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdK9OlOzayE - Placebo

I have an issue with Kate Bush's version. While creative, it sounds almost cheery and bouncy next to the lyrics of the song. Placebo's on the other hand, slows the song down and adds space. This makes the song much more sorrowful, and in my opinion completes it to match the lyrics.

2nd- Working Class Hero by John Lennon, Covered by Greenday (And several others.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njG7p6CSbCU - John
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPPgeDhGzKY - Greenday

I'm so sorry John. ;_;
John Lennon is a lyrical genius, and this song proves it. But I can't stand his voice in Working Class Hero, and virtually every cover I've listened to just sounds better to me. He did everything right in his original version, but his voice isn't good enough for his own song. And I feel horrible saying that, like I deserve to be shot in the head or something, but Greenday in paticular takes his song to a whole new level, taking it out of it's acoustic comfort zone, into a rock song. It's great acoustic, but I picked Greenday's version because they did something most covers didn't do.

So, what about you?

[Yt]o22eIJDtKho&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/MEDIA]
"Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails
Covered by Johnny Cash

Now I HATE country. Country is one of the only music categories I will never listen to. But when the legendary country musician Johnny Cash covered Nine Inch Nails' Hurt, I thought it would be worth the time to get a good laugh. When I watched the video, I ate my own words. The song was way different than NIN's version in that Johnny gave it a different feel. Johnny Cash covered the song in 2002 at the old age of 71. In the video, it featured clips and scenes from Johnny Cash's life. The song could be consider Cash's epitaph seeing how he died months later. The cover won Johhny Cash CMT's Video of the Year award in 2003 and in 2010, was voted the most influential music video of all time by Myspace. Ever since, I don't mind hearing a little Johnny Cash every now and then. Way better than NIN's version, and I'm a huge fan of NINs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2MgwAJrfXo

Billie Jean writen by Michael Jackson covered by Chris Cornell, although many will probably disagree, I found this version to be better, because I think you can feel the emotion in Cornell's voice as he sings. Never was a big Jackson fan. Although Jackson could be brilliant lyricaly, I never liked his singing voice or the the music for the song.

I forgot one.

"Come Together" by The Beatles
Covered by Michael Jackson

Fuck. The. Beatles. Yeah I said it. Micheal Jackson absolutely kills this song, in a good way. Owning all the rights to every Beatle song ever made, both the opportunity and privilege was there to cover one of the most famous Beatles song in history in Come Together. The track debuted in his Concert Film Moonwalker and officially was released on his album HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book 1. The song isn't as relaxed as The Beatles' version was. Michaels Jackson uses his edgy style to crop the words of you get what I mean-- thus, making it more agressive but yet, enjoyable to hear. I'm a huge Michael Jackson fan and this may be one of his best covers.

[YOUTUBE]2dt61On815E[/YOUTUBE]

Still Fly by The Devil Wears Prada. Now usually I don't like screaming songs where you can't understand what they are saying. I loved it so much I used it as my wrestling theme in the backyard when I was like sixteen. It has a great beat and the lyrics are so great.

[YOUTUBE]Dj7bQ7yr59U[/YOUTUBE]

Umbrella by All Time Low. Man, this song is done way better than Rihanna did it. This song was made to be a pop rock song and I can't help love it and sing to it when I hear it. Also, the guy has a great voice and can really sing into the song.

[YOUTUBE]UNbtEx2eqR0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Leaving on a jet plane by John Denver. I think it's a great song.
There are many covers of it but I think the cover by Justin Young is the best.

[YOUTUBE]pPcLM-hneRg[/YOUTUBE]

Unlike the original, it has a Hawaiian thing in it.
Soothing and really sweet.

L.O.V.E. Machine, originally by WASP, covered by Fozzy

Blackie Lawless does have that unique voice, but I felt that technically speaking, the work Fozzy and Jericho did on this song just made it far better than the original. I also feel this way about Motley Crue's Live Wire and even a few of the Twisted Sister songs.

Mrs. Robinson, originally by Simon & Garfunkel, covered by the Lemonheads

Personal preference. I can't stand S&G. They write amazing songs and then perform them like *****es. Great work by the Lemonheads to re-do it so well

Word Up, originally by Cameo, covered by Korn

This is odd because I don't care for Korn in the least, but their cover of Word Up was AWESOME. It was fun, energetic, maintained some of the original funk style but with a hard rock makeover. Loved it.

Breadfan, originally by Budgie, coverd by Metallica

Justinsayne turned me on to this song originally. The original is just plain blah, whereas the Metallica re-boot was an awesome tune. Metallica has run the gamut on covers - they crushed the original with Breadfan, nearly missed with Turn the Page (Seger's was a step better) and just totally missed the mark on Queen's "Stone Cold Crazy."

Signs, originally done by 5 Man Electrical Band, covered by Tesla

Most people didn't even know Signs was a cover. It was a good song that Tesla just owned.

Knockin on Heavens Door, originally by Bob Dylan, covered by Guns N Roses

It's just a fact. GnR took this one over.

Come Together- by the Beatles, covered by Soundgarden

While the original is no doubt a classic track, I much prefer the heavier Soundgarden cover, the slow style of the song perfectly suits the Seattle grunge style, and Cornell is the perfect man to have on vocals for a song of this type. It is an unreleased track but one of my favourites.

[YOUTUBE]fpT4kgg5xlw[/YOUTUBE]

Also Whiskey In The Jar by Thin Lizzy, covered by Metallica

Again a much heavier version of the original track, and Metallica speed up the slow original into a fast paced rocker, with Hetfield's snarling vocals offering something totally different to Lizzy's. This is how I like a cover, when the covering band changes the style of the song to suit their type of music rather than shameless rip-off of the original.

[YOUTUBE]h4EA-ADYaCo[/YOUTUBE]

Metallica's rendition of Whiskey in the Jar is among my all time faves. Bear in mind, it's certainly not a Thin Lizzy original. It's a very old Irish folk song that has been redone by LOADS of artists. Off-Kilter, an Irish-Canadian rock band that Becky and I saw down at Epcot Center, did a rendition that's pretty awesome.

[youtube]MU7mzZu5tuc[/youtube]

Also, as far as Come Together goes, the best cover of that was Aerosmith. Here it is:

[youtube]nDtoZ8M3Q50[/youtube]

Ahh I had never heard either of those 2 versions. The Aerosmith one is excellent!

I think I will have to pick up the Metallica album with all their cover versions on (I think it may be Garage Inc??), I have seen there are covers of several Motorhead songs on there, including "Overkill" which is my fave 'Head tune. Hopefully Metallica will do it justice, and I believe they will.

Nobody mentioned this? Really? No one? That makes me sick.
[YOUTUBE]AIhtafqZvy8[/YOUTUBE]
The best guitarist ever making a decent song legendary. Even Bob Dylan, the man who made the original version of the song says Hendrix's version is better. And no one on here mentions it. One of Hendrix's best songs overall, probably his best guitar song, just an overall classic.

Well I don't know how to post videos yet but here is a list.

Pantera- Cat Scratch Fever awesome version.
Dope-Fuck Tha Police way better than it's rap counter part.
Ozzy Osbourne-Mississippi Queen It's Ozzy FUCKING Osbourne nuff said.
Rush-The Seeker I personally like this one better than the Whos.
The Headstones-Tweeter and the Monkey Man much more updated version of a classic but made better.
Sublime-Smoke 2 Joints I'm actually shocked not to see this one up yet.
Motely Crue-Smoking In the Boys Room bet you didn't know it was a cover.
Johnny Cash-Rusty Cage That's right this man covered Soundgarden.

Well I know I have more locked away in that vault I call a brain but that's enough for now

Here's my list of covers that are better than the original (at least in MY opinion)

Turn The Page - Metallica
Originally by Bob Seger. But I like this song, its got kind of a slow, and dark mood. It sets a pace for thinking about "What can I do with myself now...Where can I go with this?" More for me its a reflection song. Like I said, its more songs that I hear and think fit me.

Land of Confusion-Disturbed
I did like the original. Then when I heard the cover in this style, I was amazed at how they could make it rock even more. Phil Collins actually in a hard rock way...:worship: I think I could like this. I love Disturbed, and this was a song I could get behind.

Behind Blue Eyes-Limp Bizkit
Okay, I'm not trashing The Who, in fact, I do love their songs. I was a bit cynical when I first heard LB was doing this song and then I heard it, and was like :wtf: "Its actually pretty good." I like the usual electronics they add behind it, as only Durst and Co. can do, with the Speak n Spell spelling out 'L-I-M-P' which was a cool effect.

Hurt-Nine Inch Nails
Growing up in a home where old school country music was all my family listened to, I was afraid to have this song play around my dad who is a HUGE Johnny Cash fan. But, he caught me playing it on my cd player when I was helping him with some repair work one afternoon, and he was quite intrigued by this redux of Mr. Cash's song. It was amazing to see him have an appreciation for the music I like as well.

Higher Ground-Red Hot Chili Peppers
This was originally done by Stevie Wonder, I still have this one on cd. However, I like this one just as much!! This group manages to keep the integrity of the song, and not go overboard with the artist imagination like some pop divas do when trying to do their own take on things in today's society.

Ring Of Fire-Social Distortion
Again, it all comes back to golden era of country. I was flipping channels one day and came across the familiar lyrics that were not on a country station. The dj then said it was Social Distorion. I was amazed. It was another one I was adding to my list of songs that were just as good as original, if not better. Still, nothing can top The Man in Black.

[YOUTUBE]g0_dyc4IrLg[/YOUTUBE]

This song is extremely beautiful. Now while some I know, actually most, think the George Micheal version is better, I have always thought this version had more feeling in it. Seether's singer puts so much soul and feeling into it, I almost cried when i danced to this at my prom with my gf. IT WAS SO WIN!!!!

Hurt-Nine Inch Nails
Growing up in a home where old school country music was all my family listened to, I was afraid to have this song play around my dad who is a HUGE Johnny Cash fan. But, he caught me playing it on my cd player when I was helping him with some repair work one afternoon, and he was quite intrigued by this redux of Mr. Cash's song. It was amazing to see him have an appreciation for the music I like as well.

I hate to burst your bubble, but Johnny Cash did this song as a cover. Trent Reznor(NiN) actually wrote it.

Behind Blue Eyes-Limp Bizkit
Okay, I'm not trashing The Who, in fact, I do love their songs. I was a bit cynical when I first heard LB was doing this song and then I heard it, and was like :wtf: "Its actually pretty good." I like the usual electronics they add behind it, as only Durst and Co. can do, with the Speak n Spell spelling out 'L-I-M-P' which was a cool effect.

Great choice. I was at a Limp Bizkit gig in England just before "Results May Vary" was released when they played this live for the 1st time. I was blown away by it, such an amazing song. Durst left the stage while still singing then reappeared on the balcony above us, hugging and high-fiving fans. It was awesome. I had never heard the original before I heard the Limp version, and now I know both, I still prefer the cover

[YOUTUBE]3G-wZ5uY0_o[/YOUTUBE]

Strange song to cover I know, but I think it works. I do like the original Rihanna version, and I know she has a few loyal fans on these forums, but I much prefer the Manics cover.

I heard the track on an NME Compilation CD while working part time in a music store a few years go and ended up buying the album at the end of my shift. I like the unique voice of the Manic's vocalist and the song has now become one of my favourites of theirs, I think it ends up sounding totally different to Rihanna's in a good way.

I am gonna drop a song already mentioned by Lita on this thread, but she didn't post the video so I will.

I picked up the Metallica album "Garage Inc" this weekend for the pricely sum of £5. I have listened to the 1st disc so far and really liked most of it (I didnt like the opening track one bit). However, this one blew me away. I heard the Bob Segar one on the radio recently and liked it, and the DJ mentioned that Metallica had covered it.

FUCK ME WHAT A COVER. This has now burst into my top 5 Metallica tracks of them all, alongside "Seek And Destroy", "I Disappear", "Master of Puppets" and "Wherever I May Roam". An AWESOME song

[YOUTUBE]dOibtqWo6z4[/YOUTUBE]

Fire-Red Hot Chili Peppers

[YOUTUBE]ZWSWdsIpLQk[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not knocking Jimi Hendrix's version (I can't) but the Peppers version just seems more intense for a song called 'Fire'

Knockin' On Heaven's Door
I've heard several versions of the song, and though Guns and Roses do my favourite version, Eric Clapton does a good job too.

Ms. Jackson
The Vines took a horrible song and made it really nice. It's soft and comforting, unlike the original, which has a pitch to it just this side of "only dogs can hear it."

As for the song Come Together I prefer the original.

Whether or not a song is better is strictly subjective and depends on the listener. Based on most of the bands and cover's I've been reading in these posts(with a few exceptions) I feel like I'm wasting my time to talk about jazz or blues since most people don't give a shit about music made before 1980 let alone music from the 30's because they didn't , but hey maybe I'll get someone's interest.
The Allman Brothers Band always had a knack for taking an old traditional blues song and basically rewriting it and making it their own groove, a few good ones are- Elmore Jame's One Way Out, and Done Somebody Wrong.
Blind Willie McTell's Statesboro Blues
Muddy Waters' Trouble No More
Eric Clapton also covered plenty of old traditional blues from Robert Johnson including, Little Queen of Spades, Crossroads, Malted Milk, and Travelling Riverside Blues. Zeppelin as well. Just about every form of American music borrows something from the blues, but most people don't give a fuck about the history of anything so alot of people just write off the blues as boring old people music. And btw I'm not some bitter old dude talking about the good old days, I was born in 1988.

my pick would have to Avril Lavigne-My Happy Ending i heard a cover by this girl on youtube named Tiffany Jo Allen and to me shes a amazing singer i heard this cover and i really thought she sounded better then Avril does singing the song! everybody should atleast listin once :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kOsN97H2ug

Only two I can think of are:

Metallica's Whiskey In The Jar
[YOUTUBE]boanuwUMNNQ[/YOUTUBE]​

Thin Lizzy's one of my favorite rock bands but Whiskey In The Jar was meant to be a fast, hard song. Who else better than Metallica to make this happen?

Seether's Careless Whisper
[YOUTUBE]g0_dyc4IrLg[/YOUTUBE]​

Although a closet Wham fan, any song made by them about infidelity would have, at best, been insincere; Ridgeley and Michael were swimming in pussy during the 80s and I'm pretty sure they have no regrets (well, maybe Michael since cottaging is a daily ritual for him now). Careless Whisper was meant to sound anguished and guilt-ridden. All of us have have perpetrated a fucking over that we'll regret for the rest of our lives; nothing comes closer to vocalizing this regret than Seether's cover of Careless Whisper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back