Cover Songs (Better Than The Originals) Thread

Humans. We're quite uncreative. No really. We like to do the same things over and over. And we like when other people do the same thing over and over, and make it look a little different. Who knows why? Comfort in predictability, a love interest in our mother, maybe our father. Nevertheless, we always love a good cover. We like to hear our old songs done with a new interpretation, and we like to see other people's spin on a song. Unless that spin is utter shit. Fall Out Boy, expect my pipe bomb soon. I'm told it should be arriving to you in the mail anyday.

Nevertheless, I argue that there are times that a cover can be better than the original. Musicians are available to newer technologies, available to more creative outlets. There are times when the cover can actually do the original justice, but actually puts the other one to school. In the front row, where the teacher can watch when that sneaky original shoots spitballs. The bastard. Anyway, I offer two questions.

1. Is it really fair to say that a cover can be a better song than it's original, and deserves more praise than the original?

2. If that is the case, what cover is better than it's original?

For me, I'll make the argument for Allman Brother's "Statesboro Blues". Frankly, Allman Bros. always helped me identify what type of music I like. The Allman Bros were always just a band looking to have a good ass time, and that's exactly what they did. I never knew Statesboro Blues was a cover until I was eighteen. When I heard the first, I couldn't help but think "what the fuck is this shit?". I decided right then and there, originals don' always have to be better than their covers, and just because someone wrote the song, doesn't mean they perfected it. Allman Bros absolutely perfected this song. Their interpretation of blues, to me, was not only perfect, but fitting for the era it was in. They not only modernized the song, they made it tha much better. Hell, just listen to this version.

[YOUTUBE]JToo3iwTOso[/YOUTUBE]

For me, I'll make the argument for Allman Brother's "Statesboro Blues".

I love this song and a load of other songs from them.

Love Bob Dylan and respect the man but Hendrix shredded his version of "All Along the Watchtower." Great energy running throughout the song and the solo is amazing.
[YOUTUBE]AIhtafqZvy8[/YOUTUBE]

Cream's cover of Robert Johnson's "Crossroads" is my next choice. While Johnson was a master of guitar (and idol of Clapton) Cream's amped version is amazing. Plus it was one of the only times Clapton took sole lead vocals in a Cream song.
[YOUTUBE]YdwVVI4B3oY[/YOUTUBE]

I'll wrap it up with Cash's "Hurt". Never was a fan of the Trent Reznor song, too dark and I find the "wind" type effect he has on it annoying. While Cash's version remains dark I can't help but hear a dash of hope throughout. One of the only music video that can make me cry as well.
[YOUTUBE]o22eIJDtKho[/YOUTUBE]

the metro by system of a down
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NucicclOd9E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NucicclOd9E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

i feel that this has a better feel and is better than the original. The other song was really good, but didn't have the performance to be great.

the metro by system of a down
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NucicclOd9E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NucicclOd9E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

i feel that this has a better feel and is better than the original. The original song was really good, but didn't have the performance to be great.

I would like to throw out a song as THE WORST COVER EVER

Yeah, I know we are looking for ones that are better than their originals, but this made me laugh, and even as a MASSIVE Ian Brown fan, I have to say this is just bad bad bad bad bad bad bad BAD.

Check it out

[YOUTUBE]EJrbs2kkb2Y[/YOUTUBE]

Browny completely ruins Michael Jacksons alltime classic, hahaha! He also did Thriller as a cover, which was decent, but this is shit

Red Hot Chili Peppers' version of Fire by Jimi Hendrix

[YOUTUBE]ZWSWdsIpLQk[/YOUTUBE]

I just love it and its so funky and upbeat. Don't get me wrong Hendrix's version is great but this one is more energetic to me

One of the first ones that popped into my head is The White Stripes' cover of Dolly Parton's Jolene.

[youtube]28Ek6J1tPKM[/youtube]

Granted, I haven't heard too many bad covers of Jolene but this one is at the head of the pack. I love Jack's voice on the track, especially in the live UGWNL I included in this post. His desperation and raw emotion elevate the song to a completely different level. Dolly is a legend, but her version isn't as affecting and powerful as this one.

Disturbed's cover of Shout by Tears for Fears
[YOUTUBE]e135wyZpt4g[/YOUTUBE]
I'm not saying the original was bad(in fact, i love it), but I am saying that disturbed does this song justice.

[YOUTUBE]YV4oYkIeGJc[/YOUTUBE]

I didnt realise this was a Genesis cover when I first heard it, just that it was a great song. Eventually though I did catch the original on the radio and thought that someone had covered the Disturbed song. It was only when the presenter said "And that was Genesis..." that I realised.

I do like the original version though, its a very good song. But I think the Disturbed vocalist really suits this track and the band have improved on what already was a good tune.

Back when Tears For Fears put out Mad World, I thought it was a brilliant song, lyrically speaking. But the up tempo nature of the song really undercut the dark nature of the lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQgd-L0ZIcg

Along came Gary Jules, who was asked to cover "Mad World" for the Donnie Darko soundtrack. And the man freaking nailed it. As the words are, Jules piano version of the song is haunting. I like TFF, but this is one case where a rather obscure musician in Jules completely outdid the original. And it's not close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4

Everyone knows about Metallica's cover of "Turn the Page" by Bob Seger. It was the big hit from the Garage Inc and I'm actually surprised that nobody's mentioned it yet. However, there was another song on that album which still blows me away even now; "Astronomy." Originally by Blue Oyster Cult (known by most today only for "Don't Fear the Reaper," aka "that Will Ferrell cowbell song"), this was my favorite cover Metallica did on that album.

The one my Dad & I started a fight over (I didn't know it was a cover) was a cover of "Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" (Bachman-Turner Overdrive). I think it was by The Poorboys, & featured in the 2nd "Mighty Ducks" movie.

I still haven't heard the original, but it is definitely better than anything Tal Bachman (the son of the original's guy) ever put out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back