Which version is best?

• Howlin' Wolf's "Smokestack Lightning"

• The Yardbirds' "Smokestack Lightning"

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
Okay, I'm bored. So that means I'm making some of these threads, so we can discuss music and such. Here we've got a staple of the blues and rock songbooks, the Howlin' Wolf-penned classic, "Smokestack Lightning". Now, there are literally hundreds of bands that have covered this song, so feel free to post a version that you may like better, because literally everyone from the Stones to Dylan to Bob Marley has done a cover of this song. I'm going to post the original, and my personal favorite cover though.

Howlin' Wolf - Smokestack Lightning

The original is the definition of a blues classic, the kind of song that makes you want to tap your foot, drink your whiskey, and howl at the moon.

Now onto the cover, in my opinion the very best cover ever done of the song, performed by the legendary (and extremely underrated) group The Yardbirds during a BBC Session, this song in partcular with the great Jeff Beck on guitar. This is the kind of music I imagine gangsters and Quentin Tarantino listen to.

The Yardbirds - Smokestack Lightning

Honestly, my vote goes to the cover. As much as I love the original, the Yardbirds just turned it into one of my all time favorite songs. It just fucking oozes cool.

Which is better guys?​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back