Original V. Cover: Running Up That Hill

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
And it returns. After we were all treated on Raw to a great cover of the song Running Up That Hill by Placebo, and many people's interests in that song over the past week on this forum, it will be great to look at it and its original.

The original song comes from BTM. If you didn't know what that was, it is Before TM, the old era I call it. You remember George Bush right? Well his relative, I assume, Kate Bush made the song a hit in 1985.

The song is a great 80s song, something that would be great in a techonique in Montreal, where I spent most of my times during the neon decade. She also did a cover with David Gilmour of the band Pink Floyd.

The cover as many people now know, is by the band Placebo, a great 90s band that rocked a set of hits I still love.

Maybe it is to do with that great promo the other night, but I have to say that the Placebo version is my favourite. It really spread the emotion that the song has underneith.

I like Placebo, I love Kate Bush. Original wins for me because

A) It's the original and a great song on it's own. That's why Brian Molko decided to cover it.

B) Kate Bush is a better singer and an incredible writer

C) The whole 80's military thing. To my knowledge only Kate Bush ever made it work, even Joni Mitchell failed to replicate it.

D) Placebo totally take the song away from what it's about and show a lack of understanding about the lyrics. Their version is "cooler" and more modern but that in no way makes it better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back