Cover Song Discussion Thread

Here's some of my choices for fave cover songs:

KillSwitch Engage- Holy Diver: I was skeptical at first on this Dio cover, but after listening to it, I am a fan now. I'm a Dio fan, and this song now is a favorite of mine. These guys know how to do a rock song.

Marilyn Manson-Sweet Dreams : I gotta say, this is what initally turned me on to his music in the first place, and then when he kept coming out with the other 80's covers like Tainted Love, and Personal Jesus. I was very impressed with his work on that.

George Thorogood-One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer: I am addicted to this song. Originally done by John Lee Hooker, but he does great with his gravelly voice, and his riffs are key on this tune.

Sinead OConnor- Nothing Compares 2 U: this was a song that just dominated as I was growing up, to this day when I still hear it, it takes me back. It was originally a Prince song. But she makes people FEEL the emotion in her voice when she was singing, and the video that was made for it, just took people to another level on it.

Smashing Pumpkins- Landslide: I am a fan of the original and this cover. I was a bit surprised to hear them cover a Fleetwood Mac song. But it is a very good song and they manage to do well with the song.

Limp Bizkit- Behind Blue Eyes: Some people may disagree with me, I am a The Who fan, but I also happen to LOVE this cover. and appreciate the way they also incorporated some of the electronic elements in it that makes Limp Bizkit the rap-rock group they are/were.

A band who have done a fair few covers, covering songs such as Negative Creep originally by Nirvana, Battery originally by Metallica and Hallowed Be Thy Name originally by Iron Maiden, I think Machine Head pull off them covers flawlessly. Killswitch Engage's cover of Holy Diver originally by Dio (R.I.P.) is a great cover as well. Bullet For My Valentine's cover of Welcome Home (Sanitarium) originally by Metallica on the 'Remastered' album, which I got free with Kerrang! magazine a few years ago which featured 8 bands covering a song each off Metallica classic Master Of Puppet's album, Trivium's cover of the title track Master Of Puppets is great as well. HIM's cover of Solitary Man, originally by Neil Diamond even though I haven't heard the original I think is great, along with their cover of Wicked Game, originally by Chris Isaak. Marilyn Manson's cover of Tainted Love I love as well.

The best cover is Search and Destroy by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, originally by Iggy Pop. In the RHCP version of the song the bass line is more intense and so are the guitar and drums. I was never a fan if Iggy's vocals so I obviously prefer Anthony Kiedis' voice much more. Both great versions, but RHCP takes the cake.

I was more than pleasantly pleased to see this thread still in working order, and with recent posts no less! Although its a few years old, a great cover that I've recently been listening to is of Nancy Sinatra's "Bang Bang" by The Raconteurs, or as they should be known, "Jack White and some other people". Although the original is certainly a classic, and probably ingrained in your mind from Kill Bill or something of that nature, the gritty, garage rock feel that The Raconteurs give to the song completely turn the song on its head. White's characteristic croon (or is it groan?) lends itself wonderfully to the song, and it contrasts awesomely with Nancy Sinatra's pristine vocals when you compare them.

So yeah, its pretty tits.

[youtube]xhGnuHuD5Fc[/youtube]

Always loved a good cover song.. Some of these may have been said, sorry, but just doing a few of my personal favorites.

#4 Eric Cartman (south park) singing "Come Sail Away" by Styx. It's annoying, but for some reason I can't not listen to it all the way through.
[YOUTUBE]v/yOWK7Tam01M?fs=1&[/YOUTUBE]

#3 Fight Star's Iron Maiden cover for "Fear of the Dark". Has been one of those songs that always gets played when im out driving around aimlessly, with no real place to go.
[YOUTUBE]v/2L28dLudXqc?fs=1&[/YOUTUBE]

#2 Metallica's Cover of "The Ecstasy of Gold" by Ennio Morricone. Loved the original, and this one as well. Was a hit-or-miss with them, and I truly believe they hit.
[YOUTUBE]v/y-Mh1K5-VSQ?fs=1&[/YOUTUBE]

Since my pic of Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" has already been used a few times, I'll go with another one.

#1 Pearl Jam's cover of "Last Kiss" originally by Wayne Cochran. A very haunting song. Also considered by some to be the best Pearl Jam song ever done.
[YOUTUBE]v/4447lT5GQOk?fs=1&[/YOUTUBE]

Hard to really pin-point a single one I could label my absolute unequivocal favorite, but I can tell you that I just watched the Bad Company cover of "Bad Company" by Five Finger Death Punch this morning on YouTube, and as of this moment, that's my favorite cover.

Song is powerful enough as it is, but when coupled with the footage of their Iraq tour in 2010 in the video it really does a fantastic job of encapsulating the brotherhood of military men.

[YOUTUBE]u_VsvZmIWxY[/YOUTUBE]

Aside from that, my favorite if I had to choose one would be the cover of "Imagine" by A Perfect Circle. Incredible channeling there, and again, coupled with the official video packs a powerful message.

[YOUTUBE]jpqKA9_ddFk[/YOUTUBE]

Oh man, I love cover songs. I really enjoyed The Berlin Project's cover of Gin and Juice. Its a nitty gritty ska/punk version of a classic Rap song, done by a band that nobody knows. Everybody just assumes that its NOFX, which I think adds to the beauty of this.

I also loved Reel Big Fish's cover of Unity by Operation Ivy. This song features Ali from Zebrahead, and seems more thought out than the Op Ivy version. Its a great songwith a great message, RBF makes it more modern and fun.

Ill givre you three that top the list for me.

I thought Shinedown did a remarkable job in covering U2's "One". There are times during the freaking song where Im actually thinking "This is Bono" when Brent Smith is singing. Thats how freaking fantastic he is as a vocalist. I thought he nailed Lynard Skynards "Simple Man", but this blew it away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-_1GYz0s8

And, almost as good, is Seether's cover of "Careless Whisper." Ill be the first to admit that I find then to be highly overrated as a band, and quite terrible live. I also found it hilarious when I heard an interview with band, and they said they covered the song "as a joke." well, this is one of the best damn jokes ive ever heard, if thats the case. Its just a refreshing twist on a classic by Shawn Morgan and the boys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zALiyJ02k_Y

But the best cover to me of all time is "Mad World" by Gary Jules. Its a piano version of the old Tears for Fearsb song, which I personally thought was garbage, musically. Im a huge Tears for Fears fan, but this was one song that just didnt click for me. But when I heard this on the Donnie Darko soundtrack, I was blown away. It was haunting and the tone fit the lyrics of the song, rather then the quasi techno version by Tears for Fears. Gary Jules just took the song and made the music fit the lyrics beautifully. I get chills ever time I hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYY-a0_Bb9Y

I know I already posted three songs earlier, but I couldn't resist adding these as well:

Reel Big Fish: "Take On Me" (original by A-ha)
[YOUTUBE]ZZ4S-UiNmzo[/YOUTUBE]

Odds are that most have heard this version already, but I didn't see it listed in this thread yet. "Take On Me" has been covered COUNTLESS times already, but this version is sweet. The horns make it (obviously).

Deftones: "Drive" (original by the cars)
[YOUTUBE]cHiP3_-N0Vc[/YOUTUBE]

This version of Drive has recently got into heavy rotation on my ipod/itunes. An awesome cover, probably my favorite one Deftones have ever done.

Weezer: "Velouria" (original by the pixies)
[YOUTUBE]ihU6TXtDs_8[/YOUTUBE]

Probably the best Pixies cover I've ever heard. The vocal replacement (for the original theramin "solo") in the verses is bad-ass (you can hear it around 0:53 the first time, on this youtube "vid"). Very Weezeresque (although Weezer is very Pixiesque to begin with).

You can definitely tell that the Pixies were a HUGE influence for Weezer, as well as about 90% of ALL "alternative" bands in general.

Hope you guys enjoy these gems, if you haven't heard them before...

Well last night after seing the new lost boys I was absoutly suprised. A new band I've never seen or lisitened to covered by seasons after. For people that have seen the original lost boys Cry little sister was an awsome song that was made by Gerard McMann. The original was kind of a potent mix of sort of a heart felt song with lyrics that wen't really well with the song.

Seasons after's version added the element of a sort of hard rock and metal mixx. The song kind of went along with the new version of the lost boys. The old lost boys was about saving his sister. The new one was about killing the lead vamp, and with that the potent metal drumming went great.

[YOUTUBE]6wbCa4iKwdQ[/YOUTUBE]

New Found Glory did a cover of Go West's King of Wishful Thinking, and it is awesome. They are really good at taking a sappy song and giving it a shot of adrenaline. I really love this song!

New Found Glory has also covered Goo Goo Doll's Iris (phenomenal), Bryan Adams's,I Do it for You, and Peter Cetera's The Glory of Love. They did 2 albums of nothing but covers that are worth listening to, if you remember the 1980's.

I remember the original versions playing on the radio as a child, and I thought it was cool that New Found Glory was able to make them a little more current.

I also enjoyed Eve 6's version of Leaving on a Jet Plane.[/I

The Fray recently covered Kanye West's Heartless and I love it...I don't even like Kanye West!

Dynamite Hacks's cover of Eazy E's Boys in the Hood is fucking sweet!

[YOUTUBE]wjGRIWNcZG0[/YOUTUBE]

Ministry's Lay Lady Lay. I love this song, Personally I liked Bob Dylans' song better, I liked the great vocal range he has. But I think Uncle Al and Ministry really hit the spot with this song. Turning a completly soft song into a prety good metal cover. This is allways on my Ipod because I think it calms me down. When you lisiten to brutal metal all day you need something to calm you down most of the time! I've personally seen about 3 other bands cover this song, but they try to cover it to a T like Dylan did it. But I liked the change of pace from Ministry.

[YOUTUBE]yquhPmU3Ia8[/YOUTUBE]

I am a big fan of Kid Rock. I think that, when he sings and doesnt rap, he has a great voice. I heard this song long before I heard the original and I love both. I probably prefer Kids version though.

Red's cover of Duran Duran's Ordinary World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQeq_T_2VE8

I know this is probably DD's crowning, and most popular song, but when I saw RED in concert, and heard them perform this song for the first time, I thought they outdid the original. The album version is pretty darn good too, although not as good as the song live, but still excellent. They put a different spin on it, which isnt a bad thing. RED is generally a heavier group(in the alternative rock genre), but they show in this song that they can pull off the more mellow stuff pretty well too.

[YOUTUBE]sMf3JGITG_k[/YOUTUBE]

When I first heard this song it made me laugh. I loved the original Will Smith version back in the 90s, it was one of my favourite songs for a while, but when I saw there was a punk cover of it I had to have a listen.

I normally dont like this kind of punk at all, but just the fact it is such a bizarre cover makes it kinda good I think. Definitely worth a cheeky download!

I think I have found the cover to end all covers....check it out

[YOUTUBE]vqgQAlh8DuM[/YOUTUBE]

That is all

Thankyou and goodnight! :)

I've always liked the original Ah Ha's "Take on Me."

MxPx does a pretty good job w/their cover.

Chech out Eve 6's cover of "I Touch Myself." Very well done!

Killswitch Engages Holy Diver is an amazing cover song. I never cared for Dio's original, and not a fan of Killswitch but the song is amazing.

Disturbed's Land of Confusion is awesome

Nonpoints cover of In the Air Tonight

Shinedown Simple Man

Breaking Benjamins cover of Who Wants to Live Forever

I love Seether's "Careless Whisper" cover, originally done by WHAM. Okay..so they're not the most metal, but the song is so touching to me. It takes me back to a time when I had a very important person in my life. Still think of the fond memories.

Then there is a rockabilly guy named Christian Kane, he is an actor on the show LEVERAGE. He has a cd out, and does a cover of Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car." It is so melodic and soothing to hear. I highly recommend picking this up. He does a great job, he's not trying to outdo the original version since itself was a big success, but he puts his own Country spin on it, and still keeps some rock influence in it. I really dig this one.

Ever FallenInLove -Thursday originally done by The Buzzcocks

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_jR4AMcuzNE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alkaline Trio-The Metro originally done by Berlin

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_jR4AMcuzNE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Elenor Rigby-Thrice originally by The Beatles

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cAhFUXOxm_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There are a lot of good cover songs out there so I can't really pick one but I'll throw three more up here that I haven't seen posted already to add to the list.

Number 1

The first song is a great song by a great band, "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73dvrir5kig&feature=related

It turns out that Alter Bridge did a cover of "Kashmir" and since I am a huge fan of Miles Kennedy I figured I would post it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPNnBisii1M

Number 2

The second song is "The Ghost of Tom Joad" originally done by Bruce Springsteen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5z7GJU6vxQ

In what could be described as taking a song and really making it your own, Rage Against the Machine did a cover and gave it their own style that make it heavier and more intense in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMaCg4fpJKg&feature=related

Personally for me my favorite cover of all time is the Fray's version of Kanye West's Heartless. I think they make the song have more meaning to it by slowing it down and making it more audible. I personally enjoy singing to that song cover because it is a song that almost anyone regardless of skill can sing. I also am a sucker for the smooth guitar in the background.

One of my all-time favourite singers did two of the best covers in one album. The album was Grace, he was Jeff Buckley.

Hallelujah - Originally by Leonard Cohen, covered by many people over the years but Jeff's stripped down version of just him and his guitar is brilliant.

Lilac Wine - Can't remember who did it originally, but this song pops up in the film 'Tell No One' and it is just perfect for the story and the particular scene it's used in.

A non-JB one, City & Colour's cover of Sonhouse's "Grinnin' In Your Face". It's only a vocal performance that lasts a minute and a half or so but is a worthy cover of a great original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back