Cover Song Discussion Thread

First and foremost, some Stevie Ray Vaughan. He's covered quite a few Hendrix songs, who I'm also a fan of, but Vaughan's versions are vastly superior. I definitely prefer Vaughan's tone to Hendrix's, prefer his vocals, and the bluesy groove Vaughan incorporates makes it that much better. Two of my favourites:

[youtube]zAG-kX_IlUw[/youtube]

[youtube]1GSpbuFSr2o[/youtube]

Next up, Metallica. Well, pretty much every Metallica cover is better than the original, because in most cases, the original sucked. Example:

The original version of Breadfan by Budgie:

[youtube]54H3EUAzpVg[/youtube]

Metallica's version:

[youtube]wqTRWvmHB5Y[/youtube]

Metallica's version is far and away superior in every aspect.

Now, I don't know wether you'd consider this a cover song, since three of the original members are playing it. It's Brian May, John Deacon and Roger Taylor, all Queen members, joined by Tony Iommi and James Hetfield to play a classic in "Stone Cold Crazy". Now, I've got to say, this is a song where Hetfield's vocals suit it more than Mercury's did.

[youtube]RMWwOgeg2nA[/youtube]

And finally, Mat Weddle (relatively unknown) covering Outkast's "Hey Ya". I'm not really a fan of the original, but this cover is great.

[youtube]8-8nkkOA_AM[/youtube]

Ok, here's a few more:

A live cover of Ted Nugent's Cat Scratch Fever, done amidst their performance of Cowboys from Hell:

[youtube]0M827Gt4kqQ[/youtube]

And speaking of Pantera, here is a band called "Between the Dead and Me" covering Pantera's megahit "Cemetery Gates:"

[youtube]16ho0CApGjA[/youtube]

Keeping with the chain theme, here's "Between the Dead and Me" covering Queen classic "Bicycle Race:"

[youtube]C4gOqhkkIZM&feature=related[/youtube]

Holy hell, they get better:

A band called "Blind Guardian" covering The Beach Boy's Barbara Ann:

[youtube]NuXaRBfdcvg[/youtube]

THEN, they turned around and covered Surfin' USA! Check it out!

[youtube]TdXD7XCMc-c&feature=related[/youtube]

Here's one I had to post for my own self edification. The Song "Black Sabbath" covered by a band called "Vader:"

[youtube]vZppJ64ZA38[/youtube]

AMAZING Iced Earth cover of Blue Oyster Cult's "Burnin for You"

[youtube]9ZrD-GUISTc[/youtube]

Of course, there's Type O Negative's cover of Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl:

[youtube]p0bHCY865xs[/youtube]

One of my all-time favorite metal bands, Iron Maiden, covering my favorite song by one of my favorite artists - Jethro Tull' Cross Eyed Mary:

[youtube]Qjfkh7s7rGk[/youtube]

I am going to jump start the shit outta this thread today.

Led Zeppelin's "Good Times, Bad Times" as covered by a band called "Nuclear Assault"

[youtube]VA68xT23Xe4[/youtube]

More amazing work from Iced Earth, with their cover of AC/DC's Highway to Hell:

[youtube]MCa6qo3AMvY[/youtube]

And then Iced Earth doing AC/DC's "Long Way to the Top:"

[youtube]sQZjvEGoADs[/youtube]

And Maiden's Number of the Beast:

[youtube]iCmnIhZpZCk&feature=related[/youtube]

ONE MORE, I SWEAR: the Mr. Crowley cover by Malmsteen and Tim Owens:

[youtube]aAli1Ie77-Q&feature=related[/youtube]

Otep covering Breed (Nirvana)
[youtube]xlaKJoFomXk[/youtube]

This cover kicks the shit out of the original IMO, Otep truly makes this song her own, and god knows her voice sounds far superior to Cobain's

In Flames - Eye Of The Beholder [Metallica Cover]
[youtube]9phRxgFAiuA[/youtube]

I feel it's a pretty good effort, not claiming it's as good as the original, but I feel they did a pretty good job with it, music wise they nailed it, vocally is really the only place it falls short, but after hearing it a couple times it tends to grow on you

Trivium- Iron Maiden (Iron Maiden Cover, duh)
[youtube]PNhjxV8G0-o[/youtube]

Great fucking cover, IMO they nailed it, that's all there is to say, they just fucking nailed it

Metallica- Remember Tomorrow (Iron Maiden Cover)
[youtube]1ZZBnZexM6E[/youtube]

Now does it get any better than Metallica covering Iron Maiden?, honestly Metallica does such a great job with this song that if I din't already know it was a Maiden song I would think this was something off the new Metallica or some shit, fucking great cover of a fucking great band by another fucking great band

Ha!, take that IC:p

I've made it no secret, that I am a sucker for cover songs. Good or bad, I'll listen to them at least once. And, I end up enjoying them more than the original sometimes, even if I know it isn't better. It's just nice to see a new twist on a familiar song. Especially when the cover takes the song across genre lines. We've seen this in recent years with covers of songs like Blue Monday, Personal Jesus, and Beat It.

What I want to know is: What's your favorite cover?

I had never heard mine until just over a week ago. It's In The Air Tonight, originally sung by Phil Collins, but covered by Nonpoint. I've heard a ton of great covers, but this one takes the cake for me. The original is great. There's no denying that. It's slow, but it works, and is good for easy listening. The cover, however, is heavier, but makes a fair attempt at keeping the same pace. The lyrics don't lose their effectiveness, and the music is good for either cranking it up and rocking out, or mellowing it out, and enjoying a drink with some friends.

Reactions: Tim
I have two songs actually because I can't choose between either song.

Marilyn Manson - Personal Jesus
This song is a lot better than it's original counterpart, Depeche Mode although I don't mind the original I just find that Marilyn Manson is able to put a dark, sinister twist on everything he covers and I really like the video for it. I think it's great and I love singing a long to it. One of his best covers. He really was able to make it his own song.

The Misfits - The Monster Mash
Just an awesome song really, a fast, up beat, fun song that is very catchy and so much better than the original version from Bobby Pickett, I believe it was. Even though it was sung by Only, still an awesome misfits track. Doesn't have any real meaning I don't think, just about a bunch of monsters who have a sweet party.

I'd go with Megadeth's cover of Paranoid by Black Sabbath. It's exactly the same except played noticeably faster and i think the solo was changed.

I also dig Fear Factory's version of 'Cars' by Gary Numan. Again, they changed nearly nothing and even had Numan sing along with Bell.

Opeth's cover of 'Circle of the Tyrants' by Celtic Frost is a pretty good one, in fact, it's better than the original i'd say.

Those are my faves, along with Whiskey In The Jar, and Turn the Page, both covers done by Metallica

Oh yeah, and Chimaira's cover of 'Disposeable Heroes' by Metallica is pretty shit hot as well.

I Fought the Law- Green Day

They sped the song up, and made it known to those who never heard the orignal version/s.

I have to admit, I'm a sucker for a good cover. There are a bunch of covers I like such as Seether- Careless Whisper, Alien Ant Farm- Smooth Criminal, Motley Crue- Helter Skelter, The Ataris- Boys of Summer, and Metallica's entire double disk set Garage Days, Inc.

But if I narrowed it down, it would be impossible to choose between Marilyn Manson's version of Personal Jesus and Pantera's version of Planet Caravan. I honestly think these versions are better than the original with no comparison.

Bump.

NSL re-created this thread, which is an awesome idea, and I thank NSL for it. This original thread has so many great answers in it, and videos to boot - I'd hate to lose it because it got buried. Merged - great minds think alike, NSL!

Reactions: NSL
I am a huge Fightstar fan, might not go down well with some people, but hey, each to their own right?

Fightstar - Breaking The Law (Judas Priest Cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT905SPUfNI

Fightstar - Fear Of The Dark (Iron Maiden Cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKJCfqVDytE

Now for a random serbian metal band... i think they're serbian... Alogia

Alogia - What A Feeling (Irene Cara, Fame Cover)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FZn6baZSZ4

And I also have to agree with the Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight cover. Awesome!

I'm starting this thread with the hope's that others will follow suit and put up videos, or links to a song that is made by one artist, then covered by another artist.

My example is the song lollipop. It was originally created by the artist known as Lil' Wayne, and is a hip hop song. It was covered by what can loosely be called a rock bad, in Framing Hanley

Lil' Wayne

[youtube]77wEisgGqRY[/youtube]

Framing Hanley

[youtube]vbUR0SRceD0[/youtube]

Personally i prefer the Framing Hanley version. i like hip hop and i don't mind the work of Lil' Wayne, but his version is a lot longer and a bit repetitive and annoying, plus i love having an actual band there to play the song, it makes a for me a better experience. the other point would be the FH version is a bit heavier than LW, which fits in with my musical styling

Bump.

Here's a great one I've gotten into recently. My all time favorite band being covered by one of my new favotie bands...

[youtube]FJWnmE0YCMQ[/youtube]

Man, this band captures some of the passion and pain of the original. It's not jst a remake, it's a reinvention.

And this newbie we've all heard by now...

[youtube]I7imqO-OBVk[/youtube]

A ressurrection of a classic. Say what you will about WHAM!, but Seether does a more than admirable job with a very powerful and familiar song. Loved the work they did here.

Ugh...Breaking Benjamin and freakin' Seether IC25? Really?

Favorite cover song is pretty tough considering the millions of fantastic covers, but this one here stands out as doing exactly what a great cover should do--- it changes it up a bit while still sticking to the spirit of the original.

Now, I'm not a big fan of the Killers, but their cover of Joy Division's "Shadowplay" is simply amazing, almost as good as the original (which is saying alot considering Joy Division is awesome on an epic level). Somehow they manage to take all the darkness and despair of Shadowplay and flip it on it's head so that you just wanna dance yer white ass off. Nice video intercut with scenes from the film "Control", a biopic about Ian Curtis (lead singer of Joy Division).

[youtube]FIe3IgmdSlI[/youtube]​

I would have to say these two are my faves

Firstly I have to say shout: Disturbs version of these tears for fears original is amazing, Every time i look at it i cant help but get nostalgic but it brings it up to date for the 21st cemtury.

Secondly: I would have to say alien ant farms take of smooth criminal, the track is hot and an amazing rock take on a famous pop classic, they added their own flair to the track which really allowed it to come into its own

I just started getting back into Ugly Kid Joe, and I must say there cover of "Cat's in The Cradle" is simply amazing. Unfortunately I can't embed the vid, cause the record lable disabled that. But, if you have time just go to whatever tube site you prefer and search for it. You won't be disappointed.

While certainly not my favorite cover, In This Moment has recently released a cover of Blondie's Call Me. It's a little heavier than the original, but it's still very well done. Maria covers the lyrics as good as anyone else I've heard cover Blondie, and the music is still fashioned on the original.

Too many times, we hear covers wear almost the entire song is redone, and this is not one of those.

[youtube]JgF_zlznWUY[/youtube]

One that I don't know is my favourite, but I do listen to it an awful lot is the song Ziggy Stardust, originally played by David Bowie. The band AFI did a cover of it that I have enjoyed since its release. Nice catchy, similar sound of the original. It was covered at Live Earth I believe.

Original:
[youtube]G8sdsW93ThQ[/youtube]

Cover:
[youtube]kvJQ2VeeUOI[/youtube]

Awesome thread IC25. I am envious that you used No Easy Way Out, as that was what first popped into my head. But BFMV also did a cover of Crazy Train, which is one of Ozzy's greatest hits. It isn't the Ozzy, but it still reeks of awesomeness lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RK9oA2PQzE

Or also The Dropkick Murphys cover of The Auld Triangle is really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiSacFpkzoo

I also agree with whoever said Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm.

I freaking love Apocalyptica, so i'm going to add another one of their covers here.
[youtube]8JjQGt7WjK0[/youtube]

I remember as a kid one of my favorite movies was The Lost Boys, and I loved Gerard McMann's song off of the soundtrack, Cry Little Sister. Well, Aiden covered it for The Lost Boys 2 soundtrack. I have no interest at all in seeing that movie, but the song interested me...so...here's an example of a cover that probably didn't need to be made. (also, there is a remixed version of the original song playing in the background of the Jenna Jameson video "Blonde Date" that I can't find anywhere! Anyone heard it?)

The Aiden version
[youtube]6CVg5THFQy4[/youtube]
The original Gerard McMann (G Tom Mac) version
[youtube]o375ke8Csio[/youtube]

After scanning through the thread, I was grateful that no one posted my favourite cover. Its strange to think of someone covering a song back when all the songs that would later be covered were written. Get all that?

If not, its Jimi Hendrix playing "Like a Rolling Stone" by Bob Dylan. I think it's awesome

[youtube]gYwZ8I8wOGA[/youtube]

I am mercilessly bumping this thread, and sticking it too.

I wanted to add yet another choice with In This Moment's cover of Blondie's "Call Me." Classic work, I think. The DJ on Sirius 20 Octane stated that people either love it or hate it. I think it's brilliant, because what I look for in a cover is some kicked up bass and guitar. Oddly enough, it's the drums that really suck me in here.

[youtube]HW2n79L5_lo[/youtube]

I am going with most covers by Red Hot Chilli Peppers, they make the song sound fimiliar but still give it their own personal twist

Their version of Jimi Hendrix's Fire was amazing, they amped up the funkiness in my opinion and Hillel Slovak's guitar was awesome

Jimi Hendrix Fire

[YOUTUBE]U88KuWxayLg[/YOUTUBE]

Red Hot Chilli Peppers Fire

[YOUTUBE]0ifMPhtaMTU[/YOUTUBE]

Also their version of Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground was great in my opinion they changed the style (from funky to a more rock feel) and it was still great. It is also one of the covers that is more well known than the original and for that to happen the cover must be really impressive (which it is)

Also their version of Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground was great in my opinion they changed the style (from funky to a more rock feel) and it was still great. It is also one of the covers that is more well known than the original and for that to happen the cover must be really impressive (which it is)

Totally agree with you there Alex, Higher Ground was my fuckin' jam when I was like thirteen. Great cover there.

It would be far too difficult to pick my all-time favorite cover song, so for now I'm just going to pick one cover song that I like quite a bit, and that's the Yardbirds cover of the blues classic Smokestack Lightning, particularly the version they performed for their BBC Sessions album.

Original

Cover

I mean, they just take that song and somehow manage to make it even fucking cooler than Howlin' Wolf did. When you're beating out Howlin' Wolf in the cool factor, that's pretty damn good.

Such an underrated group, still to this day. You never hear the Yardbirds names thrown up alongside the Beatles, Stones, the Who and the rest of the more famous groups from the sixties. Any band that had a rotating guitar player of Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, and Jimmy Page is basically the greatest guitar lineup in music history.

I mean, I'm not sure if I could say their cover of Smokestack Lightning is better than the original, but it's atleast very close. Great cover of a great song played by two very great forces in music history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back