• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CM Punk's TNA Run Now Available on TNAOnDemand

Dizzy

Championship Contender
TNA is apparently attempting to garner some interest by putting up early footage of WWE star CM Punk. Punk, who wrestled for TNA in late 2003 - 2004 on their TNAOnDemand.com website. Official TNA Statement Below:

eade699de38bbb3b3362155b382fcf17_L.jpg

coming to TNAOnDemand.com - the official online video provider of TNA Wrestling! Watch CM Punk's rare 2003-04 matches from our Nashville "Asylum" Pay-Per-View events, the beginning of TNA Wrestling!

Nearly three hours of matches, never before have these bouts from Punk's early career been rebroadcast in their entirety - UNTIL NOW! Watch as CM Punk battles Abyss, Raven, Terry Funk, Sabu, Shane Douglas and many more! Check back to IMPACTWRESTLING.com on Thursday to watch it, plus details on more upcoming “TNA Archives” Superstar Series specials. (artwork below courtesy of scottblairart.com)

CLICK HERE TO VISIT TNAONDEMAND.COM - Watch archived PPV events, DVD Releases, Bound For Glory Series matches and so much more!

punk5.jpg

I've been on this forum for awhile. I know how things like this get. Let me clear this up easily for any WWE marks or trolls:

1. This is perfectly legal.

2. TNA isn't trying to "poke" or "attack" WWE. They are simply doing this out of respect for Punk and Internet fans like yourself.

3. WWE showed the same respect for Foley by promoting his book while he was in TNA. They sold a Hulk Hogan DVD while he was in TNA. This is perfectly normal.

4. Capitalizing on the biggest name in wrestling right now is great marketing. People actually care about him and It's not like TNA is going to lose fans over it.

5. Controversy creates cash.

business is business and this in my opinion is a smart business move. Why not try to cash in on currently the rival's biggest star...in my opinion...when that star is stored in your archives? I know I'd do the same if I were put in the same position as they are in

Hey I'm all for it if it's legal and it garners POSITIVE attention for IW. The timing is conspicuous yet its perfect with the massive surge of popularity for CM Punk. I'm sure in some circles this won't be a popular choice but other people have been cross promoted while employed elsewhere.

In a sense IW, should acknowledge there past and these spot light series can be a showcase for former talent and the overall history of the company. Wise decision me thinks.

I get that they want to make money and I don't question the legality of the situation, but still. Really? Isn't this just pointing a finger at a huge blunder?

"Hey everybody, we used to have the biggest name in wrestling. Come see how bad we fucked up!!"

They'll get a few extra bucks for it, and good for them. They could probably use it.

Right now represents the perfect time for Impact Wrestling to do something like this. CM Punk is red hot currently, so why not capitalize on some of that momentum if you can do so? A typical wrestling promoter reaction might be an attempt at emulating or recreating what's going on with Punk in WWE right now. IW is taking the better tact: CM Punk wrestled here early on, his matches were against top stars, and here they are for your viewing enjoyment. Simple, but effective.

Personally, I'd consider going one deeper if I were IW. I'd propose a DVD release of Punks classic matches that they're showing on TNA on-demand. Maybe even some type of "TNA Biography" production to go along with it. Perhaps the company has some archival footage of interviews, backstage segments, etc. that could round out a "Punks greatest TNA matches" DVD quite nicely. Again, Punk is red-hot right now and fueled by controversey (contrived or otherwise) no doubt. TNA can add some fuel to the fire and probably make a bit of money to boot.

If marketed correctly, it could be a big win for the TNA/IW brand. As if to say, "Before he was recognized as the best wrestler in the world, he was in TNA."

I get that they want to make money and I don't question the legality of the situation, but still. Really? Isn't this just pointing a finger at a huge blunder?

"Hey everybody, we used to have the biggest name in wrestling. Come see how bad we fucked up!!"

They'll get a few extra bucks for it, and good for them. They could probably use it.

Hey everybody, It's lil Jimmy!

You must have shit for brains considering, CM Punk was not even the biggest name in wrestling back in 2003.

It's very similar to WWE although. Remember, "Hey everybody, we are promoting Sting for Wrestlemania but didn't even sign him! Come see how bad we fucked up!"

Now, go run and play outside lil Jimmy.

So your saying that Tna fucked up because they used to have CM Punk and lost him do we know why Punk left no to say this is tna's fuck up is ignorant maybe punk wouldn't sign a new contract because he wanted to move up to bigger and better things just saying sometimes when u do all you can in a company you decide to move on and there is nothing anyone can do to change your mind

How exactly did TNA "fuck up"? Because they couldn't see 5-6 years into the future? If that's the case then WWE fucked up with Mr.Anderson, Bully Ray, The Pope, Matt Morgan, Alex Shelley, AJ Styles (to an extent), Daniels, Samoa Joe and Austin Aries. They didn't become the hottest wrestlers at any point, but they sure as hell proved to be much more talented than the WWE thought.

This is a good move. They'll earn some money from it, what's wrong with that?

I've been on this forum for awhile. I know how things like this get. Let me clear this up easily for any WWE marks or trolls:

1. This is perfectly legal.

Correct, CM punk isn't trademarked to WWE, but this is what Vince is trying to avoid by trademarking the name.

2. TNA isn't trying to "poke" or "attack" WWE. They are simply doing this out of respect for Punk and Internet fans like yourself.
I'm calling bullshit on this point here. They arent doing it out of respect, their attempting to cash in on the controversy created by a recent WWE storyline. Not saying theres anything wrong with that but its a marketing move to get more interest in OnDemand, nothing else.

3. WWE showed the same respect for Foley by promoting his book while he was in TNA. They sold a Hulk Hogan DVD while he was in TNA. This is perfectly normal.
I can kinda see your point here, however, I might be wrong, but i'm guessing neither of those were funded by or explicitly related to TNA in any way. So its kinda different in that TNA are trying to cash in off a current WWE storyline thats being talked about all over the media, rather than promoting a book or releasing old footage.

4. Capitalizing on the biggest name in wrestling right now is great marketing. People actually care about him and It's not like TNA is going to lose fans over it.

5. Controversy creates cash.
Agreed, its a good marketing move.

Dizzy, while I agree with all of your points, you didn't have to be so damn pompous about it. "WWE marks", "trolls", come on dude, you created a conflict that didn't even exit. Right off bat it seems like you just started blasting people who hadn't even responded yet. Since you were so dogmatic in doing that, why don't we just close this thread already. You seem to know it all; no debate is necessary.

Hey everybody, It's lil Jimmy!

You must have shit for brains considering, CM Punk was not even the biggest name in wrestling back in 2003.

Stone Cold Steve Austin wasn't a huge name when he was in WCW, it's still considered a huge fuck up for Bischoff to have let him go considering what he would go on to become.

It's very similar to WWE although. Remember, "Hey everybody, we are promoting Sting for Wrestlemania but didn't even sign him! Come see how bad we fucked up!"

Now, go run and play outside lil Jimmy.

Yeah, except that is complete and utter bullshit. It was Taker all along, Sting was just what all the internet fans thought. Try again, son.

How exactly did TNA "fuck up"? Because they couldn't see 5-6 years into the future? If that's the case then WWE fucked up with Mr.Anderson, Bully Ray, The Pope, Matt Morgan, Alex Shelley, AJ Styles (to an extent), Daniels, Samoa Joe and Austin Aries. They didn't become the hottest wrestlers at any point, but they sure as hell proved to be much more talented than the WWE thought.

Yeah, I'm sure that McMahon is kicking himself for letting those guys go. :rolleyes:

This is a good move. They'll earn some money from it, what's wrong with that?

Nothing at all, hell it's a smart business move. Doesn't mean I can't come in and take some unwarranted shots at TNA just for fun. You know what I'm talking about, right? ;)

I'm calling bullshit on this point here. They arent doing it out of respect, their attempting to cash in on the controversy created by a recent WWE storyline. Not saying theres anything wrong with that but its a marketing move to get more interest in OnDemand, nothing else.

Well, of course. They have tons of footage they can use and make money off of.

But, It seems more like catering to them. about pushing the X-Division. TNA has been harassed by the IWC over the X-Division not being pushed and they are doing it. They wanted an X-Division PPV, they gave it. They wanted young talent, they are signing them.

I think this kills two birds with one stone. If ROH was so great, they could make profit off of it as well.

this is exactly what the term "bandwagon" is for. TNA wouldn't have cared if Punk fell off the face of the earth a few months ago. But now that he's the hottest thing going, they want to celebrate his achievements in TNA. I think it pathetic personally. If he had already been on there, fine. But they waited for him to be red hot. I can just imagine the conversation that took place when the decision was made. "Hey, the WWE made Punk the biggest star in the world. He didn't do crap while with us but let's try to capitalize anyway and make a few bucks." Honestly, is there anybody that can name one thing of note that Punk did in TNA? And even if he did have some great matches, it's his mic skills that have gotten him over. Let's be honest, there are a lot more of us going to youtube to hear his promos and funny moments than there are to watch his matches. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying his matches suck. But the fact is that it's his mic skills that put asses in the seats. I really don't see working for TNA like they would like. He was made a star in WWE and there are very few people that care about anything that happened before that.

I have to say this is simply a brilliant business move by TNA. Why not capitalize on one of the biggest things to happen in wrestling in a long time while at the same time bringing people over to their website surely couldn't hurt them.

I don't say it too often about TNA, but I tip my cap to them on this one

Of course its a good move by TNA. Why in the hell wouldn't they capitalize on the biggest moment of CM Punk career. If WWE did the same thing, WWE marks would be jizzing out of their pants. Anyways if i was a buisnessman, i would do the same thing TNA is doing and i bet the new owners of ROH are thinking about doing to do the same thing.

I think it's actually pretty funny. Tna doesn't really get any mainstream attention because they don't really have any mainstream stars so their so lame and desperate they have to promote another companies top star.

Great advertisement by TNA

"Hey everybody, we had a guy who was loaded with potential, but we fucked him over so now he has went to the WWE to become the biggest star in the buisness, Check out his awesome run here in TNA!" :D

But i don't blame them, I pity them.

Punk is money right now and its a smart decision for buisness, just not very respectful to AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, etc Guys who have been loyal to TNA for many years.

I think it's actually pretty funny. Tna doesn't really get any mainstream attention because they don't really have any mainstream stars so their so lame and desperate they have to promote another companies top star.
so your saying that Tna is lame yet they just made an amazing decision for Business one i doubt Vince would ever make Tna is Humble they know they can't compete with the WWE so they use this to their advantage its genius

Its a quick cash in on a low-mid carder in TNA. His ROH stuff is night and day better and they'll be next on the CM Punk cash wagon. Its decent business move but your promoting a guy in a different company. Who knows if someone that hasn't watch WWE in years and only TNA might switch over just to watch CM Punk.

Personally they've should of done Joe and show much of a monster he is and give his character a complete revamp.

Wow, this is pathetic. I never thought that talking about TNA running shit on their OnDemand product would be just another platform for TNA vs. WWE.

I shouldn't be surprised though, it's always fucking TNA vs. WWE. No one has any clue how to converse without reverting to that.

It's very simple. CM Punk is the hottest name in wrestling right now. This is footage that the WWE doesn't own so TNA figures "why not strike while the iron's hot?" Sound strategy, as when else will showing this footage mean anything to anyone? Still, it does alert the TNA fan to "what could have been?"

You can argue and debate all you want but the facts are simple. TNA had CM Punk at one point. He was talented but not a huge name yet (partially because ROH and TNA weren't very big at that point), and now, years later, he's a huge star. It would be nice to look at it like Cal Berkeley airing Aaron Rodgers footage as a "before they were stars" kind of thing, but in this case, TNA could still have him under the right circumstances as these are two professional wrestling companies and the two biggest in North America. They don't still have him though, so this is the best they can do.

Either way, there's no reason to make this into some sort of "who's fucking up more" debate as every fucking thread in the TNA forums seems to become about that. It's sad really. All you see is roar grrrrrr morons trolls grrrrrr grrrrrrr ignorance, idiots, roarrrrrr arrrrrr grrrrrr one company is better than the other you are stupid. Enough already. Let's start a thread with simple facts and an opinion that isn't looking to poke at any type of fan in particular and then continue that discussion in similar fashion. Is that so hard?

so your saying that Tna is lame yet they just made an amazing decision for Business one i doubt Vince would ever make Tna is Humble they know they can't compete with the WWE so they use this to their advantage its genius

It's not a great business decision it's a desperate one. Let me put on my website Cm Punk is coming to Tna and maybe people will misread it and really think Punks coming to wrestle on Impact. Again it's a totally pathetic move.

Eh...its a way for TNA to rake in extra cash, but that's about it. They are promoting the hottest star in the biggest promotion in the world though, so they're running the risk of looking more "minor league". As for the idea that TNA messed up when they let Punk walk, yeah in hindsight they did. But hindsight is 20/20 right? The fact is WWE is in the business of making stars and even they nearly missed the boat on Punk. As for two things I read on here: I don't think the WWE ever did promote Sting for WM, I agree with another poster on here that the IWC jumped to that conclusion. The WWE just didn't deny it. As for Vince regretting letting AJ, Anderson, Pope, Bully Ray, Matt Morgan or the others go...Idk about that. They're all talented guys, but none of them are huge draws at this point. The only two in TNA I could see Vince regretting letting them walk, or not signing them at all are Angle and Sting.

Wow, this is pathetic. I never thought that talking about TNA running shit on their OnDemand product would be just another platform for TNA vs. WWE.

I shouldn't be surprised though, it's always fucking TNA vs. WWE. No one has any clue how to converse without reverting to that.

It's very simple. CM Punk is the hottest name in wrestling right now. This is footage that the WWE doesn't own so TNA figures "why not strike while the iron's hot?" Sound strategy, as when else will showing this footage mean anything to anyone? Still, it does alert the TNA fan to "what could have been?"

Totally agree. Considering this is the week that Cult of Personality managed to reappear on the musical radar thanks to Punk, it makes sense that TNA would try and make the most of his current buzz and make some money.

It simply breaks down to - Punk is huge at the moment, Punk used to wrestle for TNA, TNA has an on-demand service, TNA shows footage they own of Punk before he was famous. S'all good.

This is why Tna will always be a 3rd rate company. If I were a Tna wrestler, I would be pissed. Here I'm busting my ass, working road shows, signing autographs, doing publicity and raising awareness for the company. Instead of me being featured and promoted, some dude from another company is being promoted and endorsed. To all the Tna tossers here, you wont see...

1. Microsoft promoting Mac. Even tho they both share similar softwares.
2. Xbox endorsing Ps3. Even tho some games are multi platform.
3. Burger King recognizing Mcdonald's. Even tho they use the same meat. Etc.

Exclusives are exclusives. Cm Punk is a WWE exclusive. You don't promote the competition. FACT!!!

I wonder how Tna fans can be proud of their company after this. They have practically shat on all their performers.

Smart on TNA's part. CM Punk is the hottest thing in wrestling as of right now. To capitalize on that is a smart move. It will earn them a few hundred, maybe thousand dollars, depending on how many people purchase it. It's like showing Punk before he became the hot name in wrestling he is today. Smart.

This is why Tna will always be a 3rd rate company. If I were a Tna wrestler, I would be pissed. Here I'm busting my ass, working road shows, signing autographs, doing publicity and raising awareness for the company. Instead of me being featured and promoted, some dude from another company is being promoted and endorsed. To all the Tna tossers here, you wont see...

1. Microsoft promoting Mac. Even tho they both share similar softwares.
2. Xbox endorsing Ps3. Even tho some games are multi platform.
3. Burger King recognizing Mcdonald's. Even tho they use the same meat. Etc.

Exclusives are exclusives. Cm Punk is a WWE exclusive. You don't promote the competition. FACT!!!

I wonder how Tna fans can be proud of their company after this. They have practically shat on all their performers.

So, I guess WWE is a "third rate company" for releasing a WCW DVD right(A DVD which features TNA's Sting by the way. Hell, I think he's on the cover.)? They aren't promoting WWE, they're promoting CM Punk, who used to work for TNA. Nothing is wrong with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back