• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bonehead Move of the Week

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
Every week in the NFL there are tons of of plays and decisions that are just idiotic. This thread will be dedicated to discussing what you think was the biggest bonehead move of the week in the NFL. This will be updated on a weekly basis.

For this week I'm going with the decision that inspired me to make this thread: Mike Shanahan benching Donovann McNabb for Rex Grossman in the final two minutes of the Redskins game against the Lions.

This was a bonehead move for many reasons but the biggest being, well, Rex Grossman sucks ass. He is a horrendous qb and has no business ever being put in a game over a potential future hall of famer in McNabb. Another reason this move sucked was because although McNabb wasn't playing great he was actually having a decent game. He was 17-30 for 210 yards, 1 td and 1 pick. Again, not spectacular but certainly not something he should be benched for.

McNabb is a good clutch qb and with the pass rush that the Lions have it made a lot more sense to have the shifty McNabb in the game over Grossman. McNabb isn't what he used to be running the ball but he is still more elusive then Grossman.

The only explanation given by Shanahan was that Grossman knew the offense better and could run the two minute drill better. I couldn't care less if Grossman has run the offense for a year more then McNabb, who is running it for the first time. You still benched a great qb for a complete shit one. Let's also not forget that Grossman's first play from scrimmage he fumbled and it got returned for a td essentially ending the game. Mike Shanahan is a good coach and a well respected one but he without a doubt made the biggest bonehead move of the week.

Do you agree with my choice for this week or do you have another one you think is deserving?

Ahhh you found the one sore spot of my Sunday. That was a WTF! moment. I mean there is no damn explanation you can give for taking out McNabb with a chance to win to put Grossman in the game. When has Grossman ever shown he caqn play better than NcNabb. Yes McNabb hasn't had huge games, but he has lead the team to some victories, and should have been the one to finish the game. At no point can you think about benching McNabb in favor of Rex. Damn that was a terrible move.

So yes I agree with your pick.

Was going to come up with something else for the sake of arguing, but there really is nothing else. In addition to Grossman supposedly knowing the 2 minute drill better, Shannahan also claimed that McNabb wasn't in good shape from a "cardiovascular standpoint" and wouldn't be able to run the 2 minute drill with no timeouts.

I'm just astounded at how he could've done something like that. It's not like McNabb has been that bad this year and Rex Grossman certainly is awful. The long term effects of this are surely going to be disastorous for the Skins.

guys, this the same guy that refused to cater to Haynesworth in the offseason. Mike Shanahan has never been afraid to demonstrate lessons on players if he felt they needed it. From a current game standpoint, yes it was a completely shocking move, that backfired big time. Not that I am complaining, as a Lions fan, I loved watching Ndamakong Suh score the TD. But Shanahan didn't do it for that game. He did it for future games. Isn't it obvious that it was meant as a clear message to Donovan McNabb to get his act together? From the sounds of it, maybe Donovan didn't think he had to work as hard as some of the other players. This was a motivational gambit, pure and simple. If McNabb gets the message, then for Shanahan, it was worth the risk. I am withholding calling it a truly bonehead move until we see what becomes of it. Shanahan threw down a direct challenge to McNabb's manhood, lets see how Donovan reacts to it before judging it.

guys, this the same guy that refused to cater to Haynesworth in the offseason. Mike Shanahan has never been afraid to demonstrate lessons on players if he felt they needed it. From a current game standpoint, yes it was a completely shocking move, that backfired big time. Not that I am complaining, as a Lions fan, I loved watching Ndamakong Suh score the TD. But Shanahan didn't do it for that game. He did it for future games. Isn't it obvious that it was meant as a clear message to Donovan McNabb to get his act together? From the sounds of it, maybe Donovan didn't think he had to work as hard as some of the other players. This was a motivational gambit, pure and simple. If McNabb gets the message, then for Shanahan, it was worth the risk. I am withholding calling it a truly bonehead move until we see what becomes of it. Shanahan threw down a direct challenge to McNabb's manhood, lets see how Donovan reacts to it before judging it.

I usually agree with you, but not here. The only message that Shanahan sent with this move was that he does not want Donovan McNabb as his quarterback in the future. He is stuck with him this season but beyond this year he wants someone else. Shanahan has changed his reasoning for making the move 2 or 3 times already. McNabb doesn't need to get his act together or work harder because he is one of the most respected and hardest working players in the NFL. You ask any of his former coaches and any of his former and current teammates and they will tell you the exact same thing.

I usually agree with you, but not here. The only message that Shanahan sent with this move was that he does not want Donovan McNabb as his quarterback in the future. He is stuck with him this season but beyond this year he wants someone else. Shanahan has changed his reasoning for making the move 2 or 3 times already. McNabb doesn't need to get his act together or work harder because he is one of the most respected and hardest working players in the NFL. You ask any of his former coaches and any of his former and current teammates and they will tell you the exact same thing.

That's basically right on the money. This move was nothing more than to say he doesn't want McNabb past this season. And what better way to show it than put Grossman in over McNabb when the game is on the line. While we as Redskin fans were excited to have McNabb as QB, Shanahan apparently wasn't /isn't. Now its a foregone conclusion that once this season ends, we will be looking for a QB once again. This really doesn't have anything to do with McNabb's work ethic but rather what Shanahan wants, and its not McNabb.

I agree. This isn't only detrimental to McNabb, but it is to the team as well, because of the terrible message that it sends.

1. You're basically telling the players "Ive given up on this game." And the game was close! McNabb has had his ups and downs when it comes to how he's played with games on the line(I used to live in philly), but he also represented their best option to win. I can't remember the last time Rex Grossman even played, so how could he possibly be more prepared then McNabb? Even if what Shanahan said is true, he picked the wrong time to send a message.

2. It creates an environment of paranoia, which usually leads to losing. Let's face it, the Skins have sucked for a good while. So they trade for McNabb, and suddenly the expectations are that "hey, we can possibly win here." And all of that is sucked down the tube when you pull a likely HOF QB for one whose thrown up all over himself as a starter, wherever he's played. If the most respected and well liked(and important) man on the team can't be counted on, then whose next? That's the mindset a damn dumb move like that creates.

I used to think Shanahan was a brilliant coach, but Ive been left scratching my head all year over his decision making. His handling of the Albert Haynesworth situation has been just brutal, and this one may have been worse.This is the type of coaching that loses a locker room. So, if were talking strictly from an in-game standpoint, this was hands down the most boneheaded decision of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back