Big Show's Spear

timmy872

Pre-Show Stalwart
I've kept meaning to post about this for months now.
I just want to simply ask one question..

WHY IS THE BIG SHOW DOING A SPEAR?!

Not only does he look INCREDIBLY awkward when he does it, but it just looks SO BAD.

The Spear is a move done by guys like Edge, Edge's spear is great, because you can see it being a a legitimate finisher. People sell it well. The spear is sudden, and supposed to be like a big shock.

Big Show's, he runs like a charging Rhino and I can't help that feel he is the last person in WWE that should be doing the move, the other person who would kill it would be Khali. I mean I think Big Show's spear is killing the moves impact.

Obvious it is impactful, because its a 500 hundred pound man doing it, but its out of place.

Thoughts?

Actually I think it really works for him. To be honest it one of the most realistic finishers. Not many guys are going to be able to get up after a 500 pound guy runs straight at them and drills them to the mat. Egde's spear is a good move, but there are times when it doesn't look credible. When he faces a bigger opponent, such as show. When did that ever look credible? It didn't. Where with Show it's always going to look credible because he's that big, and anyone that gets hit is going to stay down. I never thought it look awkward, it's a 500 pound guy of course he looks different when he runs. I've never found it to look bad, it looks extremely painful if anything.

Sorry just have to disagree with you on that

Because of his size and age Big Show will probably have to start doing moves that are less grueling on his body. He already took on the colossal clutch, and he is now beginning to do the spear, which for a man of his size looks like it really Fuc*ing hurts. When he hit it on Evan Bourne, i thought evan had broken ribs.

If you have ever read about Big SHow, supposedly he was athletic enough to do a moonsault in his youger days. Obviously his boddy wasnt going to be able to take that forever, so he changed his moves up, just like he is doing now.

I don't think Big Show's spear is making the move look weaker at all. I've only seen it done a few times but a couple of those looked much more devastating than I've ever seen Edge's spears look. His body size really makes the move look painful.

At the same time, I have to think his spear also has more potential of hurting someone than Edge's. Atleast for the smaller guys it does. The spear on Evan Bourne a few weeks back could've easily broken his neck. Its not entirely Big Show's fault though, but maybe he shouldn't be using it so much on the smaller guys. He can just lift them way high for his chokeslam and make that look impressive.

I can see both of your points and I actually almost agree with both of you. I agree that having someone the size of the Big Show spear you would put your lights out for quite awhile. That being said, I think he needs to work on it a little more. With the exception of when he speared Evan Bourne, I don't think I've seen one where it looked all that realistic. At one point it looked almost like a flying clothesline. He needs to make sure that when he makes contact with his arm, the rest of his body should be right there with it. I think with a little practice on his part, it could potentially be one of the highlights of his arsenal.

I have to completely disagree. The sheer size of the man makes it look like he's about to kill his opponent. Could it be improved? Sure. A little more momentum wouldn't hurt, but as is, it looks plenty devastating.

I also have to add that Edge has probably the worst spear in the business. When Rhino or Goldberg hit with it, the opponent is almost folded in half. Edge kind of casually bounces off of his opponent. I think his body type just isn't suited to the move. He's too tall and thin to really make it look "powerful".

I remember when he did it to Evan Bourne. Have you ever seen a whale going up to eat a goldfish? Well that is what it looked like. When the big show does it I imagine Free Willie as Willie jumps over the barrier holing him in captivity only to come up short and squash the boy that is helping him. I even see Shamoo trying to eat the man who stuck that giant tooth brush in his mouth. I could go on and on but the thing is when he sets up to do it it looks like an animal stalking it's next meal followed by the action that looks like a whale smashing a child. There is just so much wrong with that.

I don't think he sould be using it as it's Edge's finisher, but that's just me, multiple people using other's finishing moves is retarted, but as far as him pulling it off, he does it very well, it does look more believable than Edge's on the fact that it is a nearly a 500 pound man slamming into your midsection and breaking you in half. That's gonna hurt. So it's not awkward at all, it's very effective, but he shouldn't use it, he needs something to make his own.

If anything, big show looks good doing it. He's what, 450 pounds? You don't feel too good after being hit by that. Big show will stop using it eventually, but for now, the spear is the move for big show.

You have to remember Edge's spear is sometimes referred to as the running hug because it looks so weak. Plus when he used it on Taker, Show or Batista I couldn't buy it as doing finishing damage.

Now Shows looks like he's tearing them in half in the way Goldberg did.

i gotta disagree with you, i think show's spear looks pretty devastating. like people said before me, that spear to bourne looked brutal. i think the spear fits edge really well and he executes it perfectly, but a 500 pound man doing the same move is definitley going to hurt more.

its also a nice change of pace from the chokeslam which is NOT a finishing move. it cant be used by a million guys and still be a finisher. its definitly a signature move

gail kym looked unconscious near the end of their match, which is probly why the ending was a bit dodgy, last night big shows spear was AWFUL but it still more believable than edge's. goldbergs spear was the most believable, apart from rhyno's gore through the table in ecw. remember goldbergs spear on nunzio at the '04 royal rumble? i thought he was dead! and i thought freddie prinze jr did a really good job last night, he obviously was legitimately excited to be there, the segment with santino at the start was priceless, the one dissapointment from last nights show in my opinion was the ease with which cena seemed to beat jericho, made no sense to me as the wwe are trying to build jerishow up to be unstoppable

I've kept meaning to post about this for months now.

Big Shows only used the spear for a little over a month-two now. Liar.

WHY IS THE BIG SHOW DOING A SPEAR?!

It obviously works for his size, and power. It goes well with the gimmick hes using, and it just looks like he engulfs his oponents into thin air. Now that hes using it, it should seriously be his finisher.

Not only does he look INCREDIBLY awkward when he does it, but it just looks SO BAD.

Incorrect. It looks great, and you legitimately think his opponents have been killed when he uses it.

The Spear is a move done by guys like Edge, Edge's spear is great, because you can see it being a a legitimate finisher. People sell it well. The spear is sudden, and supposed to be like a big shock.

Now, if you don't know when Edge's spear is coming. You're a moron. As well as Edge's spear is very weak, compared to those who have used it in the past.

Big Show's, he runs like a charging Rhino and I can't help that feel he is the last person in WWE that should be doing the move, the other person who would kill it would be Khali. I mean I think Big Show's spear is killing the moves impact.

You're incorrect. Its creating hype for the move, and obviously is supposed to be used by a very strong hitting force. It works for the Big Show, because hes fucking huge, and should be doing more moves like this.

Obvious it is impactful, because its a 500 hundred pound man doing it, but its out of place.

No its not.

Thoughts?

I'm quite disappointed, I thought you were going to be praising the spear. You have shamed me.

Ok, Big Show's spear does look silly but it still has nothing on Edge's spear. Edge may have the least believable finisher in the business with that spear it looks so fucking lame its ridiculous. The Big Show's spear isn't great and it does look awkward but at least he's a big guy so it seems as though getting tackled by him would legitimately cause some damage.

Big Show using a spear is very logical. It makes a lot of realistic sense when you get right down to it. The Big Show is a near 500 pound man, that's a lot of impact running into you. Half the point of a spear is to look as though you've delivered a blow that just looks like it's going to take someone out and keep them out. When I see the Big Show do it, I could potentially believe it but not with Edge and the way he does it. Edge doesn't have the size or muscle mass to really pull the move off. The first time I saw Show do the move, it was on Evan Bourne and he looked like he damn near killed the fucker.

Big Show's spear is definitely effective. Everytime he does it on somebody, it just looks like the opponent is gonna be out for a month or two. I say keep it, not only because it is effective, but because Big Show is on RAW and Edge is on SmackDown so there shouldn't be any inter-spear-ance (I know, cheesy right?).

everybodys talking about spears.edges looks cheap sometimes.rhinos gore was bleh.goldbergs really the only one i think he actually makes the spear look credible.batista just dont really do a lot of work into making it seem like its an actual move he can pull off.which he cant half the time.but for big show.i think it fits him so well.hes a huge guy.if i see a 7 foot 500 pound man running at me thinking SPEAR SPEAR SPEAR!!!foaming at the mouth.just in a rage,cloud of dust trailing behind him.if it was to late to run.id brace myself for a fucking car wreck of an impact.wouldnt be surprised if he just slices me in half with momentum like his.i like it.give it to show.take it off of batista.

:lmao:

Come on, seriously?!

Big Show's spear is awesome. It looks much more credible as a finisher than Edge's. Edge's is ok but when you look at guys like Rhino and Goldberg you can tell how a spear is supposed to look and Edge's isn't anywhere near them. Show is though, his spear looks like it would fucking hurt man and that's what a finisher is supposed to look like. He should be using it more if anything.

[B]Big Slow is using it as an intimidation factor towards Edge as he is replacing Edge as the other half of the unified tag team right! He is worth than Great Khali If I can see Great Khali and Rey Mysterio Jr vs Y2J and Big Slow expect them to lose to Great Khali and Rey Mysterio Jr !!! Besides he doesn't have a lot of moves Big Slow he is slow in the ring and useless a bear hug that he copied from Great Khali and and the claw on the head that he also copied from Khali and spear which he copied from Edge and GOLDBERG![/

I honestly don't understand why the spear is a finisher at all.Yeah,it looks good,but it's really just a hard tackle,and playing football makes me know what that feels like.Edge's doesn't look like it hurts.But when Big Show speared Evan Bourne,I pulled a Ron Simmons."Damn."But yeah,what the fuck happened to the KO Punch?Also,any Spear from anyone is more believable than the 619,and the worst ever,the [FU]Attitude Adjustment.

Firstly, Milk, Big Show has had the spear in his arsenal for at least a good two years, likely even more.

I don't get your hate for Big Show's spear. I mean, it elisits believability due to his massive size. It fits his character in that a big guy wants to pummel you with slight finesse and moreso with rugid power and brawling abilities. Thus, it's a real effective manuever, that not only looks legit, but suits his character very well. Personally, I like the move; it looks like he destroys his opponents mid section.

Your claims don't seem to hold water.

I agree with many of the comments here. I think that if the show could polish the spear a little (just make it look like he knows what he is doing *lol*) it could really look like a legit finisher.

A guy his size, it just looks real. I mean I see many big guys doing moves like the choke slam and wonder why it hurts any more than a basic bodyslam. But I see that spear and i wonder just how much that will hurt when they wake up...

Just My Opinion

I just have to comment on the fact that you claim a spear has to be sudden. While this is true, you're basically saying Edges spear is a sudden event, which is as untrue as it gets. I guess the next thing you'll tell us is that the Five Knuckle Shuffle, The People's Elbow, and The Worm always come from out of nowhere! With that sentence, you basically gave a point to Big Show, cuz his spear almost seems to randomly happen. His spear just suddenly happens when you figur-oh, shit, he just did it again! ... see, that's how big show's spear comes across. Now with edge's spear, you see him in the corner...you're waiting...waiting...still waiting, aaaannnnnd, he missed! Wow, what an amazing spear THAT was! Bottom line-the only reason why I don't like Show's spear, is because he makes it look so good, that it's difficult for anybody else to use it and not make it look so lame. In fact, I think the only person Edge should be allowed to spear from now on is Jeff Hardy, cuz he simply folds in half around Edge's arm and makes it look like Edge actually does something rather than running and stopping abruptly.

Killing the moves impact? Are you serious? A 7'0", 500 lb gargantuan sized man runs at someone who weighs around 245 lbs and spears them into next week's episode makes the move look weak? Big Show is a damn good person to be using this move. It's a definite change up from the chokeslam he was using, which imo was the move that was made to look weak by him somehow. Big Show usually hits the person with the spear by suprise, he doesn't do a big flashy thing like Edge does with his with the 'bring-it-on' hand signals and the bouncing around and maniacal look on his face. He just does it, you turn around.. Evan Bourne.. meet schoolbus. It's a hard hitting, in your face move, and I think it's pretty damn cool that Show is using it.

I think I touched on this in a previous thread ever so briefly but:

I think the Big Show doing a spear is a great addition to his moveset. The dude is 500 fucking pounds. So he can't move very fast. But a bolder can be moving a mile and hour and it will still crush the living shit out of you if it rolls over you.

Edge is a bean pole. I already referred to his spear as the Love Hug as it looks like he is leaping into the arms of his lover as he dashes across a meadow of swaying daisies. I have always despised that he used this move as a finisher from the time he used it against the Big Boss Man back in the '90s who looked as comfortable as a dude having hot female slaves fan him with palm branches and feeding him fruit.

I am quicker to believe someone getting killed by Show's spear then Edge's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back