Best one-time Pay Per View

NDN Souljaa

Headbanger Mosh
In the light of the recent swarm of 'new' pay per view events, such as the Hell In A Cell ppv and the upcoming Bragging Rights and TLC ppv's, I was wondering as to which one-off pay per view, would be considered the best? Is it just me or does anyone else feel like its 1997 again with all these themed events?

Again this is not a thread about all ppv's that have ceased, like Armageddon.
Only about one-time pay per view events.

There are many defunct ones to choose from like This Tuesday in Texas, December to Dismember, and One Night Only. This also includes all the IYH's such as Mind Games, St. Valentine's Day Massacre, and the D-X ppv as well.

So from the top to the bottom, which would you guys consider as an all time legendary card? Or one that had a match that has transcended the sport?

I don't know if any are legendary cards, but the one that stands out to me is Tuesday in Texas. This entire show was built up during the 1991 Survivor Series. It was really strange to be watching a huge event as they were hyping the next huge event that was to take place only six days later. Even as Survivor Series was going on the announcers were already looking past it to the showdown between Jake The Snake and The Macho Man. I'm guessing there was just a house show scheduled for that night, but the feud between Savage and Jake was so hot that WWF thought they might be able to make some quick money on it and turned it to a spontaneous ppv. This was long before monthly pay per views so they didn't want to miss out on cashing in on this feud.

As I recall Tuesday in Texas also had Hogan and the Undertaker for the title with interference from Ric Flair. I may be wrong on that, but I remember seeing that on the Undertaker DVD set.

As I recall Tuesday in Texas also had Hogan and the Undertaker for the title with interference from Ric Flair. I may be wrong on that, but I remember seeing that on the Undertaker DVD set.

You're right about that. I didn't mention that match, but that's part of what I meant when the show was being built durin the Survivor Series. At Survivor Series Taker beat Hogan for the title when Flair interfered. The rematch was quickly announced for Tuesday in Texas. During the ppv they were already hyping Savage vs. Jake and after the title match they were hyping the Tuesday ppv twice as much. It seemed like Tusday in Texas was more important than Survivor Series.

When I think of great, one time only PPVs, I think of a few that cross my mind.

1) ECW One Night Stand (2005)- The one time reunion of the washed-up bingo hall hasbeens that supposedly could never draw a dime or produce a good show. When I look back at 2005, ECW One Night Stand is tied for the best PPV of that year (Vengeance 2005 is right up there for me). If you wanted technical wrestling, you had Benoit and Guerrero. If you wanted high-flying action, you had Mysterio vs. Psicosis. If you wanted hardcore blood-letting, The Dudleys vs. Dreamer and Sandman was your cup of tea. And if you wanted to see two guys destroy one another and keep getting back up, the Tanaka-Awesome match was the answer. To me, this is the best "one time only" PPV. I really don't count the WWE ECW or WWE One Night Stands to be in the same lineage because this was strictly a reunion show.

2) WWF Capital Carnage- This was the blueprint for what WWE was back in 1998. Most of America has never seen it since it was a UK-only PPV, and you had to be a really big wrestling fan to have seen it. The main event featured four wrestlers who main evented nearly every PPV after Mania that year: Mankind, Kane, Undertaker, and Austin. Also included on this PPV was the feud between Goldust and Val Venis, the feud between Jaqueline and Sable, and a forgotten classic between X-Pac and The Rock.

3) WWF Invasion 2001- Even though the execution of the PPV was questionable, the card itself was as good as it could have been given the handicap of not having all the ECW or WCW superstars involved in the feud. You had a very decent match between X-Pac and Billy Kidman, a unique Team WWF vs. Team Alliance match, and a classic encounter between Jeff Hardy and Rob Van Dam.

i would say the Rock Bottom: In Your House ppv at the end of 1998. it had a pretty good card with great matches with the rock and mankind for the wwf title and a buried alive match with the undertaker and stone cold. this is my favorite buried alive match and thats pretty much why i chose the ppv.

In Your House : Badd Blood (I'm only double d'n the bad once)....not Bad Blood, In Your House : Bad Blood.

Based on the criteria you laid out, this seems to fit in nicely. There were some other bad bloods, but only one In Your House version of it.

Nation of Domination vs LOD....great set up, up and coming team vs one of the best teams of all time. Also, Rock got the push.

Yes, there was midgets, but at least there wasn't an Irish one...I don't think

Godwin's and Headbangers...not a huge tag title fight, but at least they were real teams, not a thrown together cluster fuck of randoms.

Austin interferes so Owen can win the vacant IC title against Farooq....sweet ass match with an awesome ending

DOA vs Los Boricuas....throw away match for me

Flag Match...that was fun, Bret Hart and British Bulldog....fun to watch Bret as a bad guy. I know Vader can't move for shit, but the match was still fun and Bret got the pin.

Undertaker vs HBK....the cell match that set the bar, what a great main event...One of the best debuts I've ever seen with Kane. Good ending. Funny thing is, I think Michaels was the Euro champ. Do you think now a days we would see the main event of a PPV be the Euro champ vs a main eventer in a match not for a belt. Shit no, mid card champions are held down.

So in one PPV we get Bret Hart; We get Owen, Bulldog, Crush and Hawk. We Get Austin making a huge impact without even being in a match. Rock gets a push against LOD, We get the first Real Hell in a Cell Match.

This is not tooting the horn of the Bad Blood PPV's, It's tooting the horn of In Your House: Bad Blood. I know someone is gonna talk shit, so I figured I'd spell that out again for ya'.

the best one off pay-per-view for me is in your house 16 (canadian stampede) as it had hunter hearst helmsley vs mankind the double count out set up for their summerslam steel cage battle in old blue bars: the great sasuke vs taka michinoku fantastic light heavyweight contest in which the great sasuke pinned taka michinoku with a tiger suplex: the undertaker vs vader was a battle of the heavy weights with the undertaker pinning vader after a tombstone piledriver and the hart foundation (bret hart,jim neidhart,owen hart,the british bulldog and brian pillman) vs steve austin,ken shamrock,goldust and the legion of doom the hart foundation beat austin,shamrock,goldust,and the legion of doom when owen pinned austin with a roll up as austin was distracted by several of the hart brothers at ringside (bruce and ross had jumped over the guardrail after being attacked by austin. over all i would give this event 15 out of 10 their was nothing that you could fault with it top to bottom the card was loade with quality and it was the last time that the hart foundation was together as a collective unit on p.p.v. .far better than what is produced in today`s pg-13 era (which is complete garbage).

Reactions: Lee
I have to say my fav was St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

The reason was cos of the Austin/Vince steel cage match. This was where Big Show came through the ring and threw Austin in to the side of the cage and it flew open for Austin to fall and win. But it was more memorable for the match not starting for like 15 mins, when Vince would not allow Austin into the ring. Then one of the most over hyped commentaries ever by Michael Cole. This was when Austin slammed Vince's head into the cage and he flew backwards through the announce table and Cole is like 'OH MY GOD, MR MCMAHON HE MAYBE DEAD!' well something along those lines. I remember bursting into laughter when he said that.

really really good choices guys.
I don't know if any are legendary cards, but the one that stands out to me is Tuesday in Texas. This entire show was built up during the 1991 Survivor Series. It was really strange to be watching a huge event as they were hyping the next huge event that was to take place only six days later. Even as Survivor Series was going on the announcers were already looking past it to the showdown between Jake The Snake and The Macho Man. I'm guessing there was just a house show scheduled for that night, but the feud between Savage and Jake was so hot that WWF thought they might be able to make some quick money on it and turned it to a spontaneous ppv. This was long before monthly pay per views so they didn't want to miss out on cashing in on this feud.

I would have to agree with The Brain with This Tuesday in Texas as one of the memorable. im a huge Jake Roberts mark and his post match antics are legendary, with him slapping Elizabeth. The match itself was kinda ehhh though IMHO.

I have to say my fav was St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

But it was more memorable for the match not starting for like 15 mins, when Vince would not allow Austin into the ring. Then one of the most over hyped commentaries ever by Michael Cole. This was when Austin slammed Vince's head into the cage and he flew backwards through the announce table and Cole is like 'OH MY GOD, MR MCMAHON HE MAYBE DEAD!' well something along those lines. I remember bursting into laughter when he said that.

lmaooo i remember that hahhhaha

In Your House : Badd Blood (I'm only double d'n the bad once)....not Bad Blood, In Your House : Bad Blood.

Based on the criteria you laid out, this seems to fit in nicely. There were some other bad bloods, but only one In Your House version of it.

This is not tooting the horn of the Bad Blood PPV's, It's tooting the horn of In Your House: Bad Blood. I know someone is gonna talk shit, so I figured I'd spell that out again for ya'.

Dont worry Cebeards, i understand what you mean. :)
good analysis of each match on the card

other than the ones you have all mentioned, I thought Buried Alive was really intriguing one, with the first ever buried alive match that had UT and Mankind, as well as an early HHH vs Austin matchup.

or Final Four which featured a young Rock vs HHH, as well as a fatal 4way for the title that HBK forfeited, between Bret Hart, Austin, Vader, and UT.

Good Friends Better Enemies was really intriguing as well with matchups like Vader vs Razor, HBK vs Diesel, and a bunch of dark matches that featured Austin, HHH, Undertaker, and Mankind.

I dont remember how the rest of the undercard matches went, but on paper they didnt seem bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back