• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best Heel Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe no one mentioned Kurt Angle!

Kurt Angle, to me, is the probably the best heel ever. He's the kind of heel that can beat you without anyone's help, without weapons or cheating. He's never needed a manager, he's never needed a faction (although he had Team Angle, but he was never anyone's go-fer/bodyguard), and he was the arrogant heel that could stick it to a crowd. Unlike heels like HHH, Flair, and Sullivan, they always had help or weapons to get them titles and win matches. When Angle stepped in the ring, 90% of the time you knew he could win the match without even using a chair or a hammer.

He had the Ankle-Lock (which he took from Ken Shamrock but he does it better) and the Angle Slam, two devastating finishers that could injure people. Plus, he had the arrogance/confidence to piss off the crowd, not just because he was sure of himself, but because the crowd knew too he WAS that good.

He's almost like Prince Charming in the Shrek movies, the nerdy do-gooder that should be a hero but was too full of himself to be likable. Even with the All-American angle, he made himself hated, and when Tazz came out and finally beat him, it was a major event. Even his music had people chanting "You Suck" to the point that he had to change his music when he turned face.

That's my #1 heel.

My Top Ten List (just because I feel like sharing)
2. Hollywood Hulk Hogan
3. Shawn Michaels (after Sherri Martel and before Wrestlemania 11)
4. Sid Justice
5. HHH
6. Edge (the Money in the Bank cash-ins helped establish that)
7. Sgt. Slaughter
8. Yokozuna
9. The Giant (before he got all soft)
10. Mr. Perfect (same reasons as Angle)

I'd have to go with Edge. Do you remember the Raw after Unforgiven '06 in Montreal. When Edge came out everyone was cheering him. After two minutes of talking everybody was booing his ass.

Dude, you Do know that Yokozuna wasn't even Japanese? Or Asian for that matter. He was Samoan in heritage but was actually an American citizen.

Anybody can be heel, it's alot easier to get fans to boo you than to cheer you. Look no further than John Cena. Vince has been trying for years now to get every person in the arenas to cheer him but he seems to only get cheered by chicks and kids under the age of 16.

Best Heels Ever: Past:
Ravishing Rick Rude,
4 Horsemen( Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Barry Windham)
Mr. Fuji
Bobby Heenan
The Road Warriors: from the AwA
Mr. Perfect
any "Russian" wrestler
Stunning Steve Austin
Kevin Sullivan
Gen Skandar Akbar from World Class
too many more to remember

Present:
HHH
Edge
Randy Orton
Aj Styles
Jeff Jarrett (when he was a heel)
Johnny Nitro
Carlito

Future:
Cena: If he ever turns 100% heel, with that same "thug" gimmick he would be gold!
CM Punk: On any other brand, like Raw for instance, he could be the top heel!
Personal pick but only because they aren't known to be friendly: SharkBoy! I would love to see him "smell the blood" and attack the number one babyface!

The Million Dollar Man.

I think Ted Dibiase somewhat redefined exactly what you could do as a heel. He was incredibly effective, everybody hated him. Everybody, regardless of whether he was squashing some jobber or up against Savage at WM4, wanted to see him lose. Plus, nobody begged off better than Ted (or at least nobody that I've had the priveledge of watching, and maybe with the exception of Flair).

There are a lot of guys like Flair and Triple H that got tons of heel heat, but at the same time have had loads of supporters in the crowd even as heels. Dibiase got all heat, all the time, at a time when the focus was more on mega-faces like Hogan and Savage.

past:eddie guerrero (when he was a heel) sorry i cant think of anybody else

present:triple H

future:edge
or mvp hes already good now

but for me the best ever heel has to be:TRIPLE H i dont think you need to argue with that

WrestleFan73-

I actually did not know that, that's a cool fact! Doesn't surprise me though. It's in the same vein as Mohammed Hassan being from Detroit. Thanks for putting that up!

I am surprised that I have not seen Hassan mentioned, perhaps because of his lack of longevity. But in the same arguement as I made with Yokozuna, Hassan drew upon the inner-most sensitivities of everyday people, and as a result, was a great heel. My friends and I were going to make t-shirts with Hassan's face on the front and the 1st ammendment written in Arabic on the back.

And then we'd be shot.

Vincent Kennedy McMahon! His fued with Austin was the best ever! Even better than Austin vs Triple H. Even now he is helping Bobby Lashley get the pop!

I don't necessarily think he is the best heel ever, but I think one that some people overlook over the past few years is JBL. When he was the champion on Smackdown, he got legitimate heel heat. I seen a few posts above this, someone said Cena, because they hate him even though he isn't a heel. That isn't being a true heel. Cena still get's at LEAST a 50/50 crowd. JBL, on the other had, peple loathed him for his character, and every word that came out of his mouth was so annoying, but in a good way. And that smirk he always had, I hated him!

There have been many diverse choices within this thread and I can see how anyone can make a great argument for any of them, with the exception of JBL. His in-ring skills (psychology, phsyical ability) have been mediocre at best. While he might excel as an announcer now, his promos as champ were forgettable. He relied on the age old gimmick of being over-priviledged, which at least half a dozen guys have pulled off more convincingly (Ted Dibiase, Ric Flair, Tiger Ali Singh (blast from the past), among others). The only heel he generated was from how his matches were booked, which lend credit to the bookers, not JBL. His heat derived from the fact that the WWE made such an abvious low to mid-carder their top heel for a year. He falls into the same category as Bob Holly. They are both two guys who stuck around long enough to get some sort of push through company loyalty as opposed to be good workers. Say what you want, but JBL is merely hated because he sucks, lol... not because he's a talented heel.

Definatley HHH I Like Him Performing as a Heel More Than a Face without a doubt 150% the best heel ever, on another note i really do think Carlito is a very good heel very good he shows alot of disrespect to other people for example spitting apple in a legend like ric flairs face

Vincent Kennedy McMahon! His fued with Austin was the best ever! Even better than Austin vs Triple H. Even now he is helping Bobby Lashley get the pop!

I'm going to agree with Vince, I can only remember him being face during the invasion and the corporation, and he actually started the invasion as the heel (wrestlemania 17). He's great at getting heat from the crowd and fits into it so well.

it has to be the outsiders, the foundation of the nWo the origional lethal dose, i mean watch the old footage, people always threw things into the ring when they were involved

I actually liked the Muhammed Hussan character. But the damn left-wing liberals had to cry and whine til he was pulled off the air. The heat from the area he got was unreal, probably more than the outsiders ever got. That could possibly do to the timing of his debut.
I forgot about the cry-baby heel character of Chris Jericho. The one when he would scream like a girl every time Ric Flair put the chop on him. I remember once at a WcW Nitro, jericho was feuding with Dean Malenko, "the man of 1000 holds". Well, Jericho beat him at a PPV the night before and proclaimed himself "the man of 1000 and 1 holds". After a match Mean Gene went to interview Jericho and he pulled this stack of paper out from under the ring and said that he would prove he was the man of 1000 and 1 holds and began reading this list of moves off. The show went to commercial but he kept reading for the entire time, even when Nitro went back on air. Funny Stuff seeing it live.

Seriously dude, this is a new one, how did left wing liberals get Hassan pulled of the air? It was actually the corporate sponsors who wanted that...not liberals or protests.

On the topic at hand....Triple H is a great pick, and I can see why so many of you are picking him. No one made me hate them more then that man during his feud with the Rock and when HBK returned for the first time. I seriously wanted to physically hurt the man, something I hadn't felt since the days of the Rock-Austin feud when I would've given anything for a shot at Rocky.

I mean what could be more evil then stealing a guy's wife, marrying her, who also happens to be the bosses daughter, and then decieving the dad, beating the crap out of him with a sledgehammer and taking control of the company for himself, winning the world title days later. How could you not hate the guy? Especially when he fired Foley...I was ready to punch my TV then.

HHH is will always be an awesome heel. But he was a heel right when it was "cool" to be the bad guy. When Sgt Slaughter came out wearing an Iraqi unifrom. That was genuine heel heat. When he burned the poster of Americas hero Hulk Hogan, that was golden. Here was the US at War with Iraq and out of nowhere GI Joe himself siding with Iraq. I don't think it gets better than that for a heel. Also when All American Hacksaw Jim Duggan shaved his beard, cut his hair and joined Lance Storm as a Canadian, was classic.(Although it would have been better if instead of him saying HOOOOOO, he came out saying EHHHHHHHHH)
Does anybody remember back in the 80's when Jerry Lawler was feuding with Andy Kaufman. Andy wasn't really a wrestler but he was an excellent heel.

The Million dollar Man Ted Dibiase was in my opinion the best heel between 1988- and 1991.

He bought #30 in the 1989 Royal Rumble
He used to bribe people in the audience to do humiliating things on national television for $50...
He bought Dusty Rhodes girlfriend Saphire...Just to embarass the hell out of him.

Dibiase was a evil, but powerful man...who was still a great technician in the ring, but of course that didnt stop him from cheating whenever he needed to..

His evil laugh made me cringe with anger, and i can honestly say he was the first person I truly hated.

im gonna be honest i didnt read all of the pages but to add to some of the greats like HHH, Flair, Y2J, the outsiders, Edge, Hogan and the others, Jeff Jarrett. While not maybe the greatest heel you cant help but to feel hate towards him whenever he stole the NWA title from someone. Also Mick Foley from his ECW days he knew how to get good heat with this "uncle eric" gimmick and cut great heel promos. Raven is also another good one from EcW

xfear and I are going to get our own TV show some day...

I stand by Yokozuna 100% as the best heel WRESTLER of all time, but allow me to bring this up - the thread did not specifcy heel wrester, so here is a new option - Bobby "The Brain" Heenan.

Whether he was managing Hulk Hogan or acting as Ric Flair's "financial advisor" The Brain had everybody in the world waiting for somebody to break his neck.

Tobacco did it for us, and I couldn't be more unhappy about it.

I don't know if I'd put them as the best heels of all. But the Dudley Boyz I think should be in the conversation, at least in their ECW days. I mean people were close to rioting with the promos on the mic. They were able to draw THAT much heat. So for that reason, I'm throwing their names in the hat so to speak.

I can't believe that only a few people metion Roddy Piper. Sure there are a bunch of great heels. I'll never say any of the horsemen or HHH aren't good heels, but can you name another heel who was so instrumental in getting a face over as Piper? People hated him so much that they actually thought Hogan was a good wrestler!!

Also up for consideratin, Scott Stiener. when he did the crippled angle to join the nWo. That was GREAT heel work.

Sgt. Slaughter. Hands down he has to be the best heel. I don't know if any wrestler has been more hated in their time than when he was an "Iraqi Sympathizer". I remember hearing stories about how he received multiple death threats in every town they would travel to.

There is absolutely no way in hell Yokozuna was the best heel ever and how anyone can say that a friggin Samoan Sumo wrestler from "Japan" was ever the best anything I mean the guy hardly did anything but a couple belly to belly suplexes and a yokozuna splash.

Granted he's one of like 12 people to "kill Hulkamania" but I seriously dont think he was the best heel ever because he never spoke a word and Mr. Fuji just waved the flag. So there was really no ground breaking promos.

I still think the greatest heel of this generation would be HHH because the guy has done shit that even I got pissed about to the point where I said "THATS BULLSHIT!" I mean the guy has broken Jr in half, retired Mankind, fired Mankind, retired Cactus Jack, and even retired Mick Foley as a whole I believe. I remember when Y2J beat him for the belt and HHH made the ref reverse the decision then I believe he fired the ref that was terrible. I cant come up with anything good that hasn't already been mentioned..

The greatest heel tag team of all time though were the ECW Dudley Boyz my god I witnessed the Heat wave 99' promo live and I seriously thought it was gonna become mass pandemonium! Those guys went too far many times and this was by far the worst I'd seen! For one Buh Buh spit in a womans face, took a guys water and threw it in his face and went down right in the front row practically to get him some! No one but no one has ever surpassed the Dudleys for sheer heat!

I'm going to have to say Ric Flair. He's not only the greatest heel I've ever seen, but he's also the greatest wrestler I've ever seen. Watching Flair in his heyday was just spectacular. You would just dislike him so much, and you'd think that someone would end up beating him eventually, but the Naitch would always walk out with the Title no matter what. He'd get his ass handed to him for 20 minutes and he'd still find a way to win. Whether he accepts it, or denies it, he was the leader of the Four Horsemen There'd be no nWo, no DX, no Evolution, if it wasn't for the Four Horsemen. Unbelieveable. Just freakin' amazing.

Roddy Piper should also be mentioned. For every great babyface, you need an even better Heel, and if anyone says that Piper didn't make Hogan, they're bullshitting themselves. Roddy Piper was THE top heel in the World Wrestling Federation. Not Andre, not anybody else. It was all Piper man. People just get caught up in the ''excitement'' of WrestleMania 3 to notice who really elevated Hogan's overness. It was Rowdy Roddy Piper. He just doesn't get enough credit for all that he's done not only for Hogan, but for Wrestling. He made heels more credible, in a day where heels would replay the same thing, over and over.

Triple H would have to go third. He is the top heel of our Era. True, him keeping the Title that long was a little annoying, but at least all the heat he got was real heat. Which is good heat. I absolutely hated the guy. The way he grinned when he had the Title. The only problem with that is....I wanted to be like him. That makes him look bad. He also has a babyface entrance. I think everyone would love to have an entrance like that. It's not really that heelish. They dim the lights like he owns the place, which makes it that much cooler.

The Million dollar Man Ted Dibiase was in my opinion the best heel between 1988- and 1991.

He bought #30 in the 1989 Royal Rumble
He used to bribe people in the audience to do humiliating things on national television for $50...
He bought Dusty Rhodes girlfriend Saphire...Just to embarass the hell out of him.

Dibiase was a evil, but powerful man...who was still a great technician in the ring, but of course that didnt stop him from cheating whenever he needed to..

His evil laugh made me cringe with anger, and i can honestly say he was the first person I truly hated.

Every bodies got a price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back