• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

At least 27 People Dead, 18 of them children.

Well, isn't your face red.

Yeah, it's not like President Obama himself addresses these petitions...
My face isn't red, it is all lip service and nothing meaningful will come from it, hence the ignored comment. Also, any idiot can make those and in case of the succession not even made by anybody who can act on them..Hence the pointless comment. So no, I stand by my comment until one of them actually leads to something.

But I am laughing you were so bothered by that you felt the need to post this.

I say we let Texas secede and go Civil War on their ass. Or better yet, see if we can convince the Mexicans to take Texas back. The average IQ of this country would shoot through the roof if we got rid of Texas.
Please tell me this is sarcasm and nobody on earth actually think the Texas government actually made that petition. Too hard to tell anymore, some people actually think those states want to leave the union and made them.

Wouldn't be hard for me to make one for the city i live in.

My face isn't red
It should be.

it is all lip service and nothing meaningful will come from it, hence the ignored comment.
He's already appointed Biden as the lead guy...it obviously hasn't been ignored.

Also, any idiot can make those and in case of the succession not even made by anybody who can act on them..Hence the pointless comment. So no, I stand by my comment until one of them actually leads to something.
Like SOPA and PIPA?

But I am laughing you were so bothered by that you felt the need to post this.
Yes, because the approximately 10 seconds it took me to copy the link from my e-mail and post it on the forum clearly shows how bothered I was.

I'm just laughing at how hard you're trying to avoid the fact you were wrong.
Please tell me this is sarcasm and nobody on earth actually think the Texas government actually made that petition. Too hard to tell anymore, some people actually think those states want to leave the union and made them.

Wouldn't be hard for me to make one for the city i live in.

There was a We the People petition to allow some Americans to secede, right after the election. I don't know if it was Texas, or a combination of states, but there was a petition which reached the necessary 25,000 signees.

It should be.
No, but yours should.

He's already appointed Biden as the lead guy...it obviously hasn't been ignored.
He has been wanting to do gun control since he won the first time. There is national demand for it, you really think that one online petition had anything to do with this? Come on.

Like SOPA and PIPA?
Yeah, because the outcry against SOPA and PIPA wasn't global and backed by billion dollar companies. Come on Sly. Was there even a petition for that on this site?

Yes, because the approximately 10 seconds it took me to copy the link from my e-mail and post it on the forum clearly shows how bothered I was.
The fact you bothered at all and quoted past comments, combined with with the current post indicates otherwise.

I'm just laughing at how hard you're trying to avoid the fact you were wrong.
I'm not wrong, but the the effort you are putting in trying to hide the fact you are is a little funny. Some of us don't buy the Government cares what we think, because history shows they don't 99% of the time.

There was a We the People petition to allow some Americans to secede, right after the election. I don't know if it was Texas, or a combination of states, but there was a petition which reached the necessary 25,000 signees.
Go find out who made the petition and the reasons why. Because I saw them, and one was New York. I am pretty sure a democratic stronghold wants out. Those are jokes man, most likely not made by the Government and have no legal power. It is also extremely difficult for any state to secede, if they even legally can anymore.

No, but yours should.
Because I was right?

Funny logic you have there.

He has been wanting to do gun control since he won the first time. There is national demand for it, you really think that one online petition had anything to do with this? Come on.
It is very representative of the country's feelings on this subject. For you to argue otherwise makes you seem incredibly petty when you've been proven wrong.

You claimed it would be ignored. You were wrong. Just admit you were wrong.

Yeah, because the outcry against SOPA and PIPA wasn't global and backed by billion dollar companies. Come on Sly. Was there even a petition for that on this site?
Over 100,000 signatures.

Source said:
Today, the White House Blog reports that 103,785 people signed petitions through the We The People website asking the president to protect a free and open Internet.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2012/01/google-anti-sopa-petition.html

And it was backed by billion dollar companies, but it was American citizens who were outraged by it which led the charge. CNN didn't report on SOPA/PIPA because Google was against it, they reported on it because Americans showed they were significantly interested in defeating those two bills.

At the end of the day, for you to argue that Americans are ignored by the government is simply ridiculous. Just like the protests against SOPA and PIPA, the amount of feedback to the government, including this petition which garnered a video from the President himself, makes a difference.

And that was the point from the beginning.

The fact you bothered at all and quoted past comments, combined with with the current post indicates otherwise.
:lmao:
I quote and post on the forum all the time. Hardly means I'm bothered.

I just like to gloat when I'm right. Hence why it appears as if I gloat all the time.

I'm not wrong
The video from the President proves otherwise.

but the the effort you are putting in trying to hide the fact you are is a little funny. Some of us don't buy the Government cares what we think, because history shows they don't 99% of the time.
:rolleyes:

This is completely fictitious and an incredibly simple-minded way to look at politics.

At the end of the day, you can try and spin it any way you want, but the fact is you said the government ignores petitions like this, and you were wrong. Just admit you were wrong, swallow your embarrassment and move on.

Go find out who made the petition and the reasons why. Because I saw them, and one was New York. I am pretty sure a democratic stronghold wants out. Those are jokes man, most likely not made by the Government and have no legal power. It is also extremely difficult for any state to secede, if they even legally can anymore.
What are you talking about? I have this feeling you have misunderstood something, whether it's something I said or how this thing works. I know why they (whoever they are) made the petition, they were pissed Obama won re-election. As for you talking about how the petition was not made by the government...umm, duh?

Again, I have no idea what you are talking about.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see where the confusion is. The state of Texas didn't try to secede, Rick Perry even said that was stupid (if I remember correctly). But what I was talking about was a We the People petition, signed by regular citizens, which garnered the 25,000 votes necessary for a response from the White House.

You know what is funny (not the best word when describing something about a tragedy but it is the best word I could think of) Canada also has all of the same Violent video games, TV shows and Movies but these sort of mass shootings don't happen as often or at all?

You know what is funny (not the best word when describing something about a tragedy but it is the best word I could think of) Canada also has all of the same Violent video games, TV shows and Movies but these sort of mass shootings don't happen as often or at all?

England does as well I'd assume, and yet you hardly ever hear of shootings there. Could it be because not even their cops have guns?

New Zealand has fairly strict gun control laws, and you sort of get the occasional shooting, but they all generally happen to be hunting accidents.

You know Americans, we love our scapegoats! Why address the actual issue at hand when you can blame something with no proof of connection? Easier that way. It will blow over, hopefully.

England does as well I'd assume, and yet you hardly ever hear of shootings there. Could it be because not even their cops have guns?

51 UK gun deaths in 2011
Roughly 30,000 US gun deaths in 2010

Your population is 5 times the size of ours but even I have a hard time believing those numbers. That'd mean you're about 120 times more likely to be shot dead in the US. Those guns sure do a good job of protecting people.

51 UK gun deaths in 2011

Your population is 5 times the size of ours but even I have a hard time believing those numbers. That'd mean you're about 120 times more likely to be shot dead in the US. Those guns sure do a good job of protecting people.

Well 8 days ago, we covered half of the UK's total in a year in about half an hour in one place. That's of course ignoring any and all others going on at the time. The more of these stats I hear the more my mind is blown.

11 gun related deaths (homicide, suicide and accidental) in Japan in the entire year of 2008 (haven't seen statistics for years since then).

But clearly strict gun control just doesn't work.

11 gun related deaths (homicide, suicide and accidental) in Japan in the entire year of 2008 (haven't seen statistics for years since then).

I saw those same stats and I seem to remember it going up to twenty something and as low down as 5. Think about that. In a country with over 120,000,000 people, there were five homicides in a year. Here, you're lucky you don't get that in a day, but it's because you can play Call of Duty online right?

51 UK gun deaths in 2011

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. That, or, less guns for the bad guys to get a hold of.

I saw those same stats and I seem to remember it going up to twenty something and as low down as 5. Think about that. In a country with over 120,000,000 people, there were five homicides in a year. Here, you're lucky you don't get that in a day, but it's because you can play Call of Duty online right?

It actually went as low as 2 in one year, 2005 or 2006 I believe. And when it went up to 22, it caused an uproar about a crime wave.

But hey, it's clear gun control simply doesn't work. Like in Australia, where in the 16 years since gun control was strengthened, homicide by firearm has gone down nearly 50%, and the homicide rate itself has dropped to historically low record levels.

Doesn't work at all.

It actually went as low as 2 in one year, 2005 or 2006 I believe. And when it went up to 22, it caused an uproar about a crime wave.

But hey, it's clear gun control simply doesn't work. Like in Australia, where in the 16 years since gun control was strengthened, homicide by firearm has gone down nearly 50%, and the homicide rate itself has dropped to historically low record levels.

Doesn't work at all.

And here in America, the NRA is the most powerful lobbying organization in the country somehow. God bless America.

If we want to be fair, we should be plotting murders vs. firearms, per capita. There are more ways to kill someone than with a firearm, and let's give the "someone would just use a knife" crowd their due.

Don't think America would have a mass stabbing problem, though. It takes balls to fight a man hand to hand with the intent of killing him, and most of the people perpetrating these mass shootings seem to be *****es.

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Yes, we call those guys "the police" or "the military", Mr. LaPierre.

That, or, less guns for the bad guys to get a hold of.
Shh...that's crazy talk! Haven't you seen my statistics on Japan and Australia? I have no idea where you come up with this idea that fewer guns lead to less gun deaths.

And here in America, the NRA is the most powerful lobbying organization in the country somehow. God bless America.

I guess the NRA wasn't far off when he blamed media. Of course, the media isn't responsible for acts of violence so much as the religion like worship they've placed on the gun.

Actually this year two police officers were killed with a hand grenade. (Just to give one example of how making almost all firearms illegal is incredibly difficult to enforce even if its been that way for 15 years)

I would never argue against stricter gun control, but the point I would make is that in the US, from what little I know abut American politics, stricter gun laws would be hard fought to get through any political body, especially with the Republican Party (to broadly generalise) being against gun control.

In my opinion if getting significantly stricter gun laws is unrealistic (and from the international view of America it is) then something like a gun license and getting rid of stupid laws like stand your ground and the ability to carry in public would be far more effective a law change to campaign for than a campaign to make even a small proportion of firearms outright illegal. Especially if the punishment were deliberately overly punitive.

Sadly that is why it is unlikely that anything that outlaws any type of firearm is unlikely, it is a shame that as an organisation they are not politically savvy enough to see a way in which they can de-vilify themselves without alienating their own members.

I guess the NRA wasn't far off when he blamed media. Of course, the media isn't responsible for acts of violence so much as the religion like worship they've placed on the gun.

I refer to my comment above, the people behind the NRA seem like politically stunted half-wits who are happy to play 'the villain' politically speaking, even in these tragic circumstances.

The US has more registered gun owners than there are people in the UK and almost twice as many guns as there are people in Japan.

The US is in a different situation now that the UK and Japan were when they did it, as they have stricter gun laws before guns go too deeply entrenched. The US has a different situation and is going to need different solutions. Why is this so hard to understand?

What I said above is exactly why I reject the point you are trying to make and see it as silly. Because the degree of the problem between us was so radically different the same policies won't work. It is like using the same solution to fix a crack in your mirror as you would if the entire mirror was near blown out. Two different levels of severity for a similar problem on the surface, two different solutions are needed to fix the problem. Same here, two different levels of severity is going to require two different solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back