Ask tdigle Puro Questions

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
All right,

In the hopes of getting some people here interested in the wrestling that the wonderful land of Japan offers, I'm here to answer any questions that you may have. I'm not an all-knowing Puro man like Dave Meltzer, but, I have a pretty sound knowledge of puroresu from the 1990s to the present. So, ask anything you want, and I will do my best to give you an answer.

I'll start it off with something simple, but I'm really interested in your answers:

What is your favorite match from Misawa?
Favorite match from Hayabusa?

Is IVP Videos pretty much the go to place for Puro DVDs, or is there anywhere as good/better?

My favorite Misawa match is easily his bout with Kawada in June 1994. I believe that this is the greatest match ever (I still get chills every time I see Kawada take that sick bump at the end). I also loved his match with Jumbo Tsuruta in June 1990, but it's a distant second to the Misawa/Kawada match.

As for Hayabusa, I'd say it's a tie between his match with Taka Michinoku in November 1996 and his match with Mr. Gannosuke in April 1998.

What do you think will happen to Pro Wrestling NOAH now that Misawa has passed?

Hard to say at the moment, man. NOAH has a great junior heavyweight division, but the two biggest stars in their heavyweight division (Kenta Kobashi and Jun Akiyama) are both on their last legs. They have Takeshi Morishima and Go Shiozaki, but the former hasn't really caught on well and the latter isn't quite ready to be NOAH's "ace" (i.e., their anchor/premier wrestler). The one thing I can say is that NOAH is now, for all intents and purposes, Kobashi's company. So, a lot depends on what he plans to do. Hopefully, though, he'll worry about putting over Shiozaki and some other heavyweight talent instead of bearing all the stress of keeping NOAH afloat by himself (we don't need another tragedy).

I think things will be clear by the end of summer. If worse comes to worst, then they'll probably just be subsumed into All Japan.

Is IVP Videos pretty much the go to place for Puro DVDs, or is there anywhere as good/better?

Try slambamjam

Are there any japanese wrestlers today that could come stateside and gain an almost cult like followign like Muta and Liger did in the early 90's? And what made them so unique?

I like this, it could help broaden my horizons a little in regard to wrestling. My question is:

How did you become so involved with Japanese wrestling and why?

Are there any japanese wrestlers today that could come stateside and gain an almost cult like followign like Muta and Liger did in the early 90's? And what made them so unique?

This is a very good question. Most people will tell you that it mainly had to do with their gimmicks, given how important they were in American professional wrestling during the early to mid 1990s. In my opinion though, their gimmicks only partially explain their success (in fact, I think Liger’s gimmick had nothing to do with his success). It is my belief that their success had more to do with the expectations American fans had for wrestling (especially fans of WCW) at this time and these wrestlers’ originality and inventiveness.

The Expectations of American fans: I think it’s undeniable that, in the early to mid 1990s, American fans valued wrestlers’ in-ring abilities much more than they do today (or, at the very least, the fans still had respect for and interest in those wrestlers who let their wrestling, rather than their mouths, do the talking). One of the implications of fans holding in-ring work in high regard was that they were much more open to watching foreign wrestlers who didn’t know a lick of English as long as these wrestlers could produce great matches. Ultimately, then, this is to say that the attitudes of fans during this time were conducive to technically gifted wrestlers getting over, regardless of their race or nationality.

Originality and Inventiveness: Simply put, Liger got over in America because no one in America without knowledge of puroresu had ever been thoroughly exposed to lucharesu. Sure, Liger’s zany outfit may have gotten people initially interested, but it was his in-ring performances rather than his apparel that converted them into junior heavyweight/cruiserweight wrestling marks (or, at the very least, it made them more open to the idea of watching wrestlers who were less than 6’3” and under 225 lbs.).

On the other hand, Muta’s popularity had more to do with how well he played his gimmick (sure, Muta was a great worker, but his arsenal didn’t include many moves that American fans weren’t already aware of). I know I said earlier that these wrestlers’ gimmicks had little to do with their popularity, and I still stand by that statement, precisely because it was what Muta transformed his gimmick into that is of key importance here. No other wrestler has so effectively been able to communicate their intentions and thoughts through nothing more than mannerisms and movements. Ultimately then, it was Muta’s body language, along with his uncanny ability to psychologically manipulate his opponents, that accounted for his success in the US. He was so good at what he did that, every time I see Kiyoshi or old matches with The Great Kabuki (whom Muta took the face paint and mist from), I expect them to do the same dastardly and evil things that Muta did. And, I think my associating Muta’s appearance/physical gimmick with his typical in-ring actions speaks volumes about his impact on those familiar with his work.

People place so much emphasis on a wrestler's mic skills nowadays that I'm not sure any Japanese wrestler would be able to ever get over here (also, it doesn't help that American fans of junior heavyweight/cruiserweight wrestling now look to indy promotions and Japanese promotions themselves to get their fixes). I think a Japanese wrestler could get over here with the right manager/mouthpiece, but managers and mouthpieces seem to be a dying tradition in America. Right now, WWE currently has Naofumi Yamamoto in their development territory, so the jury's still out on whether or not WWE has any interest in doing something with the one Japanese wrestler they currently have (I don't count Funaki as a wrestler anymore).

However, under the right conditions, I think there are three Japanese wrestlers that could get over in America just like Muta and Liger did in the early 1990s: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Milano Collection AT, and Tiger Mask IV.

I like this, it could help broaden my horizons a little in regard to wrestling. My question is:

How did you become so involved with Japanese wrestling and why?

I watched WCW when I was a kid, and I was absolutely blown away by Jushin Liger. With the flourishing of the Internet, I one day did a search on Liger and found out that he was one of the most venerated wrestlers to ever grace the ring, although I had only been exposed to what he had done in WCW in the early 1990s (he made a few more appearances in WCW throughout the mid to late 1990s, but, by this time, I was a WWF mark through and through). So, I started to do some more research on him, and that's when I finally immersed myself into the world of puroresu. In hindsight, I think the reason why I became so enamored with it was because I was tired of how entertainment-based wrestling had become in the US (it may also be the case that it had always been this way, but that I had just grown up and now wanted a product that gave me more wrestling and less talk).

Ultimately, I think puro is the perfect remedy for those who are growing tired of, but just can't quit, the wrestling that's offered here in the US (or that you get in the UK).

[QUOTE="Lionheart" Thrill Jericho;1157507]Who is your favorite puro wrestler?[/QUOTE]

All-Time Heavyweight: Tie between Mitsuharu Misawa and Keiji Mutoh

All-Time Junior Heavyweight: Jushin Liger

Current Heavyweight: Tie between Shinsuke Nakamura and Hirooki Goto

Current Junior Heavyweight: Tie between Tiger Mask IV and Takuya Sugi

Outside of Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shuji Kondo and "brother" YASSHI are currently my favorite Japanese pro wrestlers. Their time together in Voodoo Murders was just fantastic, in my opinion. Just wondering if you were also a fan?

I haven't watched much Puro, but in the 08' TNA World X Cup the team of Speed Muscle (Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino) really impressed me.

So my question for you, is what do you think of these two?

Outside of Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shuji Kondo and "brother" YASSHI are currently my favorite Japanese pro wrestlers. Their time together in Voodoo Murders was just fantastic, in my opinion. Just wondering if you were also a fan?

Love Shuji Kondo (he had a match late last year with Naomichi Marufuji that was, for me, a 5 star bout). When it comes to brother YASSHI, I could take him or leave him; I love his stiff style, but I personally think he's one-dimensional and uncharismatic. If you like brother YASSHI, I would check out Fujita Jr. Hayato (specifically, his match with Yoshitsune from last year). Here's a link to the match:

http://www.megavideo.com/?d=R7J7HDZO

I haven't watched much Puro, but in the 08' TNA World X Cup the team of Speed Muscle (Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino) really impressed me.

So my question for you, is what do you think of these two?

Naruki Doi is awesome. But, I'm not that big on Masato Yoshino. I think Yoshino may be the fastest wrestler that I've ever seen in the ring, but I think this somewhat hurts him, as it makes his moves frequently look like they're sloppily executed. If he could slow down a bit and work on his finesse, then I think he could be great.

Dick Beyer, the second most important gaijin ever?

He's easily the most important gaijin of the 1970s. Given the 1980s and 1990s, I'd have to think about how he'd stack up against the likes of Hansen, Brody, and Vader (I think he's definitely more important than Funk and Foley).

Tdigs, what are your thoughts on the Muthoh- Hase match that created "the Muta Scale" ?

Besides the Mass Transit incident in ECW, I don't think I've ever seen so much blood in one match. I thought the match was only so-so, but I still doff my hat to Muta for shedding that much blood for the sake of entertainment.

One more question:

Which Liger gimmick do you prefer, Jushin "Thunder" Liger, or Kishin Liger? (I know, same guy, but two distinct personalities.)

Is the lack of gimmick matches in the large promotions detrimental to the Japanese scene?

Good question that I honestly couldn't give you a concrete answer on as I only know puro fans who only speak English. Given HUSTLE's moderate success, I think there's definitely room for more entertainment in New Japan, All Japan, and NOAH. But, based off of the (very) small fan bases that Dramatic Dream Team (DDT) and Big Japan Pro Wrestling (BJW) have, I don't think fans of the big three desire that much change in the way these promotions orchestrate their matches.

Do you prefer Japanese wrestling to American?

If it's well-written, I like American wrestling just as much as Japanese wrestling. I've been told numerous times that ECW and SmackDown! are currently where it's at for the older fans of WWE, but I always forget to set my DVR to record them. So, to answer your question: I most definitely prefer Japanese wrestling to RAW and iMPACT!, but I couldn't give you an honest answer on the rest of what's currently offered on American television (at least not yet).

One more question:

Which Liger gimmick do you prefer, Jushin "Thunder" Liger, or Kishin Liger? (I know, same guy, but two distinct personalities.)

You can ask as many questions as you want, man.

To the best of my knowledge, Kishin Liger has only come out on two occasions. I liked what I saw each time, but I don't think there's any comparison between this personality and the one Liger has played throughout his 20+ year career. But, I will say this: I loved Liger as the head of CTU (Control Terrorism Unit). I thought he was a great heel and I loved the black version of his wrestling outfit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back