Armageddon: Randy Orton vs. Chris Jericho

A.J.

SmackDown! is MY Show

WWE Championship Match
(c) Randy Orton vs Chris Jericho

Although the encrypted videos that foreshadowed his second coming were mysterious, there was nothing vague about Chris Jericho’s mission when he returned to WWE. He wanted to “save us” from Randy Orton and take his WWE Championship. Now, after baiting the egotistical Legend Killer and taking away some of his spotlight, Jericho will get his wish. As first seen in an exclusive video on WWE Mobile at AT&T, Orton has accepted Y2J’s challenge and has now agreed to defend the WWE Championship against Jericho at Armageddon.

Our fans rejoiced when the “Ayatollah of Rock ‘n’ Rolla” returned after a more than two-year absence. As a former seven-time Intercontinental Champion and the first Undisputed WWE Champion, Jericho knows what it’s like to wear gold and compete on the grandest stages. He’s not only a born showman, but he's also a natural champion – his resume of championships is almost too long to list. Y2J is back and focused and ready to rock – and that means Randy Orton’s title reign is in danger.

Or is it? Jericho has not been in the thick of the WWE Championship scene nor competed on pay-per-view in more than two years, and a lot has changed. Orton is no longer the up-and-comer he was considered to be in 2005 and has matured into a WWE Champion with an apparent firm grip on the title. In recent months, he has put out John Cena and defeated two of sports-entertainment’s elite, Triple H and Shawn Michaels. And the Legend Killer’s mean streak has become, well, legendary. The list of legends and Superstars he has put on the shelf reads like a who’s who in WWE. Just ask Dusty Rhodes, Rob Van Dam and HBK how dangerous Orton can be.

In addition, Orton becomes especially sadistic when he feels that someone is trying to steal his spotlight and his championship. The egotistical WWE Champion is clearly annoyed at Y2J’s return. Orton believes he should command the spotlight as the standard bearer of WWE. He has attempted to bask in what he believes is his rightful limelight since No Mercy in October when he was first awarded the WWE Championship. Instead, he has seen legendary Superstars challenge his place on center stage.

First, Triple H briefly took the WWE Title away from Orton and then a vengeful-minded Shawn Michaels pushed him to the limit. And just when he arrogantly thought he had defeated everyone, Jericho returned to torment him – to our fans’ delight.

Will Orton try to add Y2J to his legendary victims list and send him back into his sabbatical? Or will Jericho fulfill his mission and make his second coming the end of Orton’s days as WWE Champion? Make sure you catch Armageddon live on pay-per-view on Dec. 16 at 8/7 CT and find out.

Well, it's official. Orton vs. Y2J for the WWE Title. Now WWE has painted themselves into a corner. On the one hand giving Jericho the title right off the bat, makes the title look worthless. Not to mention it would take away from a nice little run for Randy Orton. It also flushes away $$$ from the company by shortening Y2J chase for the belt.

But on the other side, having Jericho lose is just as bad. WWE marketed his return as saving us from Orton. So for him to come in and lose (to Orton), at Armageddon w/ the WWE Title on the line, it would make him look bad. This means the chances of Orton/Y2J ending in a DQ, No Contest, or draw is roughly 100%.

It will be a good match to be sure. But much in the same way TNA handled Angle/Joe I, WWE has blown their load a bit premature. Imo, at least.

In all honesty, Armageddon is lining up to be one of the best p.p.v.'s W.W.E. has put on all year. The only thing is, this match will be set to headline it, & in my personal opinion, I think this of all things will show that Randy Orton isn't ready to head-line a p.p.v., more importantly, definately not Wrestlemania.

I agree with Chesswiz on how W.W.E. has went "all in" at once. I think for whatever reason they could've saved this showdown, but then again.. maybe this is their way to "go out on top." Because next year, if you look at the line-up.. Royal Rumble in Jan.. Elimination Chamber at No Way Out in Feb.. Wrestlemania in Mar.

So, the ultimate question will be.. what storyline will carry who toward Wrestlemania, as Champion? Fact is, Chris Jericho I think will sell without the Championship.. & short of Triple H. turning heel.. there isn't any main heel Jericho could feud with at Mania, outside of possibly Kennedy, or a face v. face match. (again, assuming H.H.H. doesn't turn heel)

Therefore, I completely see Randy Orton keeping the Championship. Furthermore, after this passed Monday night.. I see Ric Flair possibly getting a Championship match.. possibly at the Royal Rumble. (only question with Flair getting a title shot before Mania would be.. will that result in him winning it?)

One more possibility.. Ric Flair could be added to this match, making it a Triple Threat. Flair could end up winning the title, only to drop it at Mania.

Terrible. So what are they going to do, have Jericho win the title on his first oppertunity? Where to after that then?

The only way Jericho wont come out of this feud looking bad is if he wins the title, at least for a month or so.here too next? This will end in a DQ, with Orton winning the feud at the Rumble.

I don't like the idea of Y2J being thrown right into the title picture, but it is what it is. I predict that RKO will leave Armageddon with the belt. However like many of you have said if Y2J looses he'll look bad. For that reason I'm agreeing that the match will end in a draw, DQ, or something like that. The two will probably wind up in some sort of gimmick match at the Rumble, and hopefully that's the end of the feud with Y2J winning, going to Mania to face a heel HHH or sumthin? I still say it's just too early for this match for Y2J

I'm honestly glad they are doing the Jericho/Orton match so soon. I think this will turn into a long term feud till possibly Wrestlemania. I can see Jericho winning at Armageddon by DQ. Jericho will obviously want his rematch, which would lead us to their match at Royal Rumble; possibly a Triple Threat or some kind of gimmick match. Orton retaining the title; in a Triple Threat by pinning the "odd" man or in a gimmick match, by some kind of narrow victory. Which now brings us to No Way Out and The Elimination Chamber match (which I think Raw will be having, since they have the bigger names). I can see Jericho winning the Elimination Chamber match, thus getting another shot at Orton at Wrestlemania. Finally, which brings us to Wrestlemania. Jericho vs Orton in their third match. I can see this actually turning into a classic bout. This where I see Jericho walking away with the WWE Title. Both guys would come out looking good and the spacing from Royal Rumble till after No Way Out, will keep it from getting bored with the two clashing on a weekly basis.

Having a real tough time figuring how this thing might go, but Id be willing to bet its the beginning of a series of matches...maybe Jericho wins this one, to spurn on the return hype, and losses the belt back to him at RR, to set up another rematch later, maybe at WM....I think this is depending on how kennedy does in the rivalry with shawn, becuase I think if he does well, he may be the guy for the WM main event push....I think this will be a very good match as Jericho looked like he was at right about good prime working condition, and while Orton is usually more good than great, he will be able to put on what I predict to be a very good match with Jericho....

All I know is that I'm tired of all these DQ endings to World Title matches on PPV. Did you know Survivor Series was the first PPV since The Great American Bash where there wasn't a DQ to one of the World Title matches. That's a span of 4 straight PPVs. That's just lazy booking, imo. I'm hoping WWE comes up with something more creative at Armageddon.

My scenario would involve what I call, the Triple Threat maker. Usually when WWE wants to do a triple threat match for a PPV, they have a #1 contender's match that ends in controversy. One way it ends is that neither win b/c of interference from Champion, which leads to GM making the triple threat match, and the 2nd way is where they both pin one another. That is what I think WWE should do at Armageddon. Y2J and Orton should pin each other, that way they both have a claim to the title. This leads to a match at Royal Rumble, maybe a ladder match so that neither one has to pin the other. This would lead them to WrestleMania where they meet in an ultimate showdown, with both looking like equals in the ring.

ok since ive heard some ppl say that they want to see a y2j/kennedy feud, what if they drag this orton/jericho feud to RR where y2j gets the belt and kennedy wins the rumble. this would lead to their feud til wrestlemania. great promos. dont delete this post again admins.

All I can say is that after seeing Y2J's match on RAW is that if He wins I wil never respect the title. Y2J doesn't look fluid enough on his moves to win the title. I am calling that either the ref doesn't see Jerichos hand on the rope and counts the three or Orton uses the ropes to pin.

Hmm... How is this one going to pan out?
One one hand, I would love to see Jericho walk away with the belt but however on the other hand if Randy Orton loses then it just made you go "What the hell was the point in giving him the belt in the first place?"
IMO I don't see them letting Jericho take the title that fast after being gone for several years, but like someone stated it would take away from Jericho being the "savior" of Raw.
Now, I do see someone running down and getting either of them DQ, who? I can't say right now perhaps Mr. Kennedy or maybe Santino Marella.
That way if Jericho does win the belt doesn't switch hands and he can fued with whomever comes out until his next title defense.

Lest we not forget the shortened tenures of Scott Steiner? Steiner came in at the Royal Rumble as a face and immediately challenged HHH for the World Heavyweight Title, only to see Steiner win by DQ, then get pinned at No Way Out and become a non-threat for the title. The WWE is not above hyping up an entrance and making the person of non-factor. Plus, Vince didn't like Jericho much anyway. He still says putting the Undisputed Title on him was a mistake. I think Jericho was a great champion and Vince really, REALLY mis-booked him.

I think that Orton should run and get counted out, then avoid facing Jericho at Royal Rumble by facing Jeff Hardy, only to have Jericho get a win and face him at a later point.

This match happened too fast and the WWE has both men in a bad situation. Jericho has been hyped up and if he is to lose the match then he will not look good. If Orton loses the title reign would be pretty much meaningless.

For the match though, I don't see it being half bad. It looks good and we've seen these two together before so it might not be bad, but I see Randy with the cheap win and Jericho win at the Rumble.

I can't see Orton losing the title until Wrestlemania, even though I'd rather see someone else with the belt.

The trouble, though, is how do they do it without making Jericho look bad, but at the same time, not continuing to bury Orton's credibility?

If Orton purposely gets disqualified...again....it'll seem like he can only hold onto the title if he runs and doesn't even win. Count out will do the same thing.

No matter what, I don't see a clean win out of this, whether its Orton cheating himself, someone cheating on Orton's behalf, etc.

No matter what the way i see it its that they threw jericho into the title shot to soon. I would have thought he would come in feuding for a number 1 contendership for a few weeks. I dont see orton dropping.But sure as mentioned befor coming into armageddon after a recent debut would make jericho look bad so probably dq leading to a feud for a few weeks.

This match looks good. I just don't think that Y2J is ready for the world title just yet (he's only had two matches). Like NoFate007 said above, the match has to end without a title change, but without hurting either Y2J's or Orton's credibility. Since I said in another post that I see HHH turning heel after his No.1 Contender match. I see him interrupting this matching. Therofre it will ed in a "No Contest". Then Orton and HHH can have a title match at the Royal Rumble.

Horribly booked match. Why the fuck rush Jericho back and put him in the main event of a typically bad pay per view? Oh wait, I answered my own question, they're trying to boost buy rates so their total yearly buy rates aren't so far down from last year and the UFC, duh.

Anyways, Jericho has been gone for two plus year, and might have some ring rust. Beating up a jobber in Santino is not shaking the ring rust. Orton is god awful at leading a match, so if Jericho doesn't bring his A game, his return can end up in a short disaster of 15 minutes of rest holds and posing by Orton. Jericho wins by DQ and goes onto the rumble without a second title match.

This will probably be the match of the night, but it is pretty obvious that Orton is going to retain. I think there is going to be a lot of back and forth action in this match, with the fans going crazy every time they think Jericho is going to win. I doubt Orton is going to get himself DQ'd because it was not that long ago he did that to Shawn Michaels, so he will probably get a clean victory over Chris Jericho, or win via pulling the tights or low blow when the ref is not looking.

what i personally think is that triple h will loose and then will come in an interfere in this match with orton while the ref is knocked out. then hardy comes in but gets doubled teamed and trips nails the pedigee and orton with the rko for the 1,2,3 orton retains. i mean this could be good for the trips and batista story line ( if it is gonna come through.) because batista could say that he was disgusted at triple h for what he did (BTW batista retained) and then a raw star wins the rumble. batista says he wonts trips in teh chamber to face him at mania. trips will win after orton gives him the sledge hammer. then orton and trips will become a stable.

this would be good because then they can have orton have the title while have trips vs batista at wrestlemania 24 and giving raw there second win since the brand extension. it all works out

i think they should of done a fatal 4 way match with shawn michaels and mr kennedy init so it will be more exciting o and have u read about who wins at armaggedon tonight cos they sed dat randy orton stil has the title at the tribute to the troops edition of raw

I don't expect Y2J to win but should be a very good match, I think Y2J was pushed too so also but it was probably needed or we would have been forced to watch a fued we already seen, I think Orton vs HHH is probably next

Yep, i expect Orton to retain the title, but it should be a good match. Y2J still needs more matches under his belt before he can become champ, because he was too rushed into the title picture. And i hope that HHH doesnt win cause i dont want to see another HHH Vs orton i want Orton Vs Jeff, at least its somthing different and Jeff can get a push that HHH doesnt need!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back