• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anderson Silva suffers a broken leg

But checking a leg kick is not intending to cause damage, it's intended to reduce damage.

It's not a move you "hit", it's a move you use to avoid damage. It's a move used all the time.

How so? It's a move used all the time to defend against a leg kick, and aside from the incredibly rare moments where it has caused injury, it almost never causes injury. That's what makes it a freak accident.

But it's not. Checking leg kicks have been going on forever. This one happened to result in a broken leg, an incredibly rare occurrence.

Weidman didn't do anything which hasn't been done many times before. He didn't end the fight, the injury ended the fight. It's really that simple.

Checking is meant to lessen damage and cause pain/damage to the kicker.

Muay Thai strikers are taught to land kicks with their shins, they are also taught to block kicks with their shins in the event that if the kick is executed where the foot/instep makes contact, the harder shin bone not only softens the blow but may deal damage to the weaker bones of the foot.

The leg break was a complete accident, but checking kicks are meant to result in lessened damage from that single blow and lessened damage in the long run by way of the attacker no longer wishing to bang shin against shin, which can cause damage.

EDIT: One last thing...if Silva had connected on Weidman's leg and broken Weidman's leg, I'm willing to bet quite a few of those Weidman defenders/Silva haters would claim it was a freak accident, a rare occurrence on a move which is used all the time. I truly believe most of the "he intentionally used a move which broke his leg" crowd are simply people who do not like Silva. Finally, to be clear, I don't think NorCal is in the "Silva hater" crowd.

if the kick had connected and broke Weidmans leg, I would say that was one hell of a fuckin' kick

On a side note, having watched the video more times than I care to, those claiming Weidman is intentionally trying to use a certain type of block are full of it. The collision was the result of circumstance, as can clearly be shown by the fact Weidman has no idea where Silva's leg is and the kick is coming so quickly all Weidman is attempting to do is lessen the impact of the blow.

But let's say, for argument's sake, Weidman DID intentionally use a move to shatter Anderson Silva...how come he's not considered a lowlife piece of shit for attempting to end another fighter's career?

The answer is simple...everyone knows what happened was not the result of some advanced technique, it was simply an accident. A terrible accident for Silva, a fortunate accident for Weidman and an accident which caused the injury that ended the fight.

EDIT: One last thing...if Silva had connected on Weidman's leg and broken Weidman's leg, I'm willing to bet quite a few of those Weidman defenders/Silva haters would claim it was a freak accident, a rare occurrence on a move which is used all the time. I truly believe most of the "he intentionally used a move which broke his leg" crowd are simply people who do not like Silva. Finally, to be clear, I don't think NorCal is in the "Silva hater" crowd.

You are correct, it is no advanced technique and is quite often done in a purely defensive manner unless you happen to know for a fact (by way of training) that your shins can withstand much more damage than your opponent's.

That said, as I stated in my prior post, checking a kick dishes out damage by being defense. You're using a harder bone in the body to block the same hard bone, or potentially weaker bones (feet).

An example: It hurts like hell often times if you bang your shin against say, a table leg or the edge of a coffee table, does it not? A shin banging against another shin can deal the same pain, which in turn may promote the lessened use of leg kicks due to pain.

Not really. If it so happens, then great for the person checking the kick, but the point of them is to minimize damage.

Yes really.

Again:

Thai boxers are trained to always connect with the shin. The foot contains many fine bones and is much weaker. A fighter may end up hurting himself if he tries to strike with his foot or instep.

This causes the offensive kicker to slam their shin bone into the defending fighters' shin or knee, causing pain and damage.

It's like when you bang your shin against something hard. It still hurts. It can still do damage.

This particular blocking move is, in fact, intended to inflict damage upon the person against whom is being defended.
Watch the video. Weidman didn't do anything aside from simply trying to check the kick. The position of his leg doesn't move, his leg barely moves and Weidman probably didn't even see the kick, only Silva's body posture.

What happened was purely an accident, a rare occurrence. It was the injury which ended the fight, not some fancy leg check being pushed.

I'll come back to what I said from the very beginning...Weidman gets the tally in the win column, but he didn't win the fight.

Watch the video. Weidman didn't do anything aside from simply trying to check the kick. The position of his leg doesn't move, his leg barely moves and Weidman probably didn't even see the kick, only Silva's body posture.

What happened was purely an accident, a rare occurrence. It was the injury which ended the fight, not some fancy leg check being pushed.

I'll come back to what I said from the very beginning...Weidman gets the tally in the win column, but he didn't win the fight.

How many times does this need to be said Sly?

A leg check is a basic defensive move. However, in combination with it lessening damage it also deals out, or has the potential to deal out return damage to the attacker due to the attacker now striking a harder surface with their shin.

No, it wasn't "some fancy thing," but it is an included function of the defensive move. The leg break is an accident, but the ability to hurt the opponent's shin by checking the kick is not an accident because it's built directly into the move.

Weidman won the fight because a defensive move he used caused an injury. In short, he won it by luck and being in the right place. Yes he was trying to block the kick, but he wasn't trying to do damage to Silva.

so then we agree that he won the fight via a defensive maneuver that was unexpectedly effective, then?

But you would also agree leg kicks are a common thing in MMA, and what happened was a rare occurrence, would you not?

Leg kicks are common in MMA, but properly trained leg kicks are not. There's probably only a handful of fighters in the UFC that can throw leg kicks with the timing, accuracy, and power that Silva does. Any asshole can throw a kick at someone's legs, but knowing exactly where to throw it and timing for opponent's movement takes a great deal of skill.

Your whole argument is that Weidman's leg check wasn't a technique which is outright wrong. When you've got people who are experts that have NOTHING to gain from saying it was a technique and not so much an accident then how can you argue? In most cases it has been fighters talking about it, and who would know better than people who have been around and experienced both the injury that happened(or similar) and the technique that Weidman used.

Weidman drilled nothing but leg kick defense for several weeks of his camp, and trained many different techniques while doing so. To assume that there's only one way to check a leg kick is to assume there's only one way to open a can of soup.

Also you made note that "Weidman probably didn't even see the kick coming, just Anderson's body posture" ... Uhm, that's something you're trained almost first thing when beginning to learn leg kicks. You -never- look at your opponents feet and ONLY focus on their eyes. If Weidman for one second lowered his eyes to Silva's legs to see exactly where the kicks were coming he would have been out like a light.

You can choose to live in a delusional world where defense has no technique, or you can instead choose to be open-minded and do apt research instead of just defiantly saying "NO! IT CANNOT BE!" like some angered God.

Are we really arguing about a defensive maneuver? Have any one of you actually went to a martial arts class? Sparred? Because if you did, you'd know the leg check is a common defensive technique and this was a freak accident.

Are we really arguing about a defensive maneuver? Have any one of you actually went to a martial arts class? Sparred? Because if you did, you'd know the leg check is a common defensive technique and this was a freak accident.

Have you even read what has actually been said?

Leg check = common defensive technique that carries with it a returned damage effect due to the attacker's shin now striking a harder surface.

We've already established that the leg break was a very rare accident.

What people can't seem to accept is that a leg check does have the ability to deal damage worked into the defensive move based on the fact that you're using a harder bone to protect yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back