• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Alberto Del Rio: Most Surprising Winner of the Rumble Ever?

From my perspective, I would say Yes, it was surprising. However, it was more surprising for him to win the RR ahead of clear cut favorites like Cena, Punk, Morrison etc. If Del Rio had not appeared on both shows leading up to RR and blabbed about his 'Destiny' and all that stuff, no one would think that he stood a chance. The only accomplishment he achieved since coming to the WWE was to beat Rey Mysterio. I thought he stood a chance at RR with all the hype surrounding him, however, I thought that WWE would invest into a bigger and more experience star rather than him.

Onto the question, was he the MOST surprising Rumble winner of all time? I would have to say YES, yet again. The only candidates that came close was Rey (2006) and Vince (1999), however, Rey was consistently pushed throughout his career in WWE and he even won a feud against Eddie. The only possibility that came close was Randy Orton and Triple H but the latter won a rumble before anyway and did not need it.

While, Vince was embroiled in a feud with Austin, offering a bounty for anyone that eliminated Steve and if you took a glance at the participants, nobody was going to eliminate Austin except Vince himself who ended up as the RR winner, so no real surprise there.

Del Rio, on the other hand, did not accomplish much throughout his tenure with WWE and he stood a chance just because of the PRE-PPV hype surrounding him. He would not top the list for many ahead of the possibly returning superstars and the favorites and even Morrison. Thus, I do think that he is the most surprising winner of the Rumble ever.

You could argue he was the least experienced of any Rumble winner but it really wasn't that big of a "shock". He was one Raw & Smackdown EVERY week before the Rumble saying he was going to win and he has been getting a huge push ever since he came to the main roster in the Summer. It was pretty obvious ADR would win, the only reason anyone had any doubt was due to his inexperience and wondering if WWE would want a rookie to win the RR.

I'd say Del Rio's was definitely the most shocking. I really wasn't actually looking forward to the rumble match that much cause i would have bet my house on Cena winning. Thought there might have been an off chance that Orton, Punk or Morrison could have won it but Del Rio would have definitely been like my 5th or 6th choice to win it.

Rey was definitely one of the favourites in the year he won it, but as soon as he entered first he definitely had less of a chance in my eyes

lol, to me it was set in stone.

Ask labarr or isenberg, i told them at the fours before the rumble del rio was my pick.

As far as historically, it was a shocker. But the push he was getting leading into the rumble, including the commentators saying "he will be a heavyweight champ one day" made it a lock.

And i was certainly alone in my pick, i told everyone all day before we went into the arena it would happen. Hell when santino came out from under thering the whole crowd thought he would win. But santino ME mania? nope.

Del rio has the look, the in ring skills and an over the top heel persona that gets under people's skin. If the youth movement is to take hold, someone like him needed to go up to ME status.

Once morrison did his spiderman move, i knew he was out. It gives him an awesome highlight reel, and doesn't hurt when he loses.

Nexus was a possibility, especially punk himself but WWE thought Cena burying them was a good idea.

Cena was possible but Miz shocked boston to the core when he screwed cena over.

So in the end it was all about Del Rio, and Even tho i THINK wwe just put christian in the match(on twitter it said "mystery superstar added to main event) i stilll think del rio walks out champion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back