• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How will Alberto Del Rio be remembered?

If he ages well he is this generations' Bob Backlund where fans respect his career but don't give a rat's ass about him when discussing wrestling. If he dies before his time he will be remembered in an overrated fashion by FANS similar to Owen Hart or Mr Perfect.

How will Alberto Del Rio be remembered? Likely as someone who could work great matches and provide good promos, but just couldn't quite reach stardom at the top. Alberto Del Rio is one of those wrestlers who I predict people will end up missing much more than they think once he retires or is no longer able to wrestle anymore. He will never be able to reach the heights that WWE wanted him to with his massive push in 2011, but he has already seen a great of success in the federation and is quite gifted in the ring. Royal Rumble winner in 2011, Money In the Bank winner in 2011, multi time World Heavyweight Champion, I'd say he's done well and there is still time for him to accomplish plenty more.

We seem to be talking about Del Rio as if his career is effectively over.

As fans, we're a fickle bunch and Del Rio could stay in his mid table position until he inevitably leaves or retires, however there's also a very good chance that he could, whether through a gimmick change or just a nice run of matches/wins, elevate himself back up to a legitimate main event status.

He needs to recapture that energy and intensity he had during the Mysterio feud where you believed that he really hated Rey and lgenuinely wanted to hurt him more and more with every beatdown.

There's potential on this roster to re-establish Del Rio, if that's a route they decide to go with him and he has the ability, but I guess it's only a matter of waiting and seeing.

But I digress. I'll always have fond memories of Del Rio, I think he's an excellent worker who always puts on solid matches. To echo the sentiments of most people here, he's just been born at the wrong time, he'd have been huge in the 80's, early 90's WWF

We seem to be talking about Del Rio as if his career is effectively over.

As fans, we're a fickle bunch and Del Rio could stay in his mid table position until he inevitably leaves or retires, however there's also a very good chance that he could, whether through a gimmick change or just a nice run of matches/wins, elevate himself back up to a legitimate main event status.

He needs to recapture that energy and intensity he had during the Mysterio feud where you believed that he really hated Rey and lgenuinely wanted to hurt him more and more with every beatdown.

I think it is with the WWE. He has been making noises for quite some time about leaving when his contract is up. It doesn't matter what they try to do with him, he's just not over with the fans. He might be a great wrestler, but the people paying to sit in the seats and buying the merchandise, have gone cold on him.

If he does stay around, doubtful he'll be in the main event scene again, unless they need to pad the numbers in a match.

I think he'll be remembered as one of the best bad guys they had, just overpushed.

He would have been a solid IC/US champion like Lance Storm, William Regal, etc. The biggest mistake to his legacy is being a mainstay in the main event scene and taking too long to freshen his character.

He was funny as a face but they waited too late

Del Rio would be better suited to a place like the Mexican scene where there is probably more emphasis on the workrate than the entertainment side of things.

Del Rio is a serviceable worker who does what you ask of him in the ring but isn't interesting or intriguing enough (character wise) to make money for the company or even be used to hype a high profile match (i.e. PPV)

Plus Del Rio doesn't really do anything to get the crowd excited in his matches. His signature offense consists of a ground superkick and reversing random moves into an armbar. People complain about Roman Reigns, but Reigns can get the crowd going in his matches with his explosive style and offense. Del Rio is good, but he can't do that.

Alberto Del Rio is a boring character. I'll probably remember him for Ricardo Rodriguez and his in-ring skills. There is no question about Alberto Del Rio's wrestling ability and his unique distinction of having an MMA background. He is top notch and I'm a fan of his Dos Caras Jr character, which is why when I heard that he was coming over to the WWE, I was excited that he might be appearing as the Dos Caras Jr character. I've watched a lot of Alberto Del Rio's matches whenever it was on the card and it has always been entertaining. His mic work is average, but I have to admit that I did see a hint of charisma when he was feuding against Rey Mysterio. Still, when it's all said and done, the man has accomplished the two things that many would love to say they accomplished and that's a) WWE Championship b) Royal Rumble. It's a shame that he can't connect with the crowd, although you'll hear the mild Si Si Si chants from time to time.

He'll probably be remembered as a guy who had great matches with everybody he was in the ring with anddddd that's about it... Del Rio was a guy who accomplished more really than he should have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back