5-Star/Perfect Matches

Angle/Taker at No Way Out has to be pretty close, doesn't it?

Another I missed. I was just watching the history of the WHC DVD two nights ago, and I loved re-visiting this match. Angle going back to the ankle over and over regardless of the counter 'Taker used was brilliant.
Given that bias and the fact that it's harder to logically fit a lot into a shorter match, I'd say it's easier to have a great long match than a great short match. But that doesn't mean short matches can't be great. In fact I'd say that having a great short match is a greater accomplishment than having a great long match.
Good point, something I haven't considered previously, to be honest. For me, it's a little harder to go 5-stars for a match with a commercial break, which this one had, because we miss part of the action.

Also, just for shits and giggles: You gave Angle vs Rey at SummerSlam 2002 the five snowflake stamp. That match clocked in at under ten minutes bell-to-bell.
True enough. I just felt the way they were moving out there along was incredibly fluid, along with the psychology employed, which made it phenomenal.

Maybe I should just say I felt it was flat-out better then the HBK/Benjamin match. :)

Wrestling is subjective, and just because Meltzer doesn't rate it 5 stars doesn't mean it isn't fantastic.

By the same token, just because he rates something 5 stars doesn't necessarily mean it will be to your tastes.

^^^THIS!!!
Wrestling is a form of art/entertainment & all people have different tastes. Some people like more hardcore, blood & guts matches, some people like more technical wrestling based matches, it's all subjective. I think there are several factors play into a fans opinion or rating of a match. For example, the matches participants. If a fan happens to be a huge Ultimate Warrior fan then they might consider a lot of his matches 5-Star when a wrestling purist that almost exclusively watches Japanese wrestling may not rate anywhere near that high. It's all perspective.

Summerslam 1998: Rock vs. HHH(Ladder match)
Wm 17: TLC
WM 17: Steve Austin vs The Rock
Summerslam 2002:: HBK vs. HHH(Street Fight)
WM 21: Angle vs. HBK
WM 25: HBK vs. Undertaker
I would agree that all of these matches are 5-Star. There are several others I would rate as 5-Star as well, including:
-Rumble 98: HBK vs. Taker (Casket Match)
-WM 2000: Triangle Ladder Match
-Summerslam 2000: TLC
-KotR 2001: Angle vs. Shane (Street Fight)
-Survivor Series 2002: 1st Ever Elimination Chamber
-WM 19: Austin vs. Rock
-Smackdown: Lesnar vs. Angle (Iron Man Match)
-WM XX: Triple Threat for the World Title
-WM 24: Flair vs. HBK (Career Ending Match)
-WM 26: HBK vs. Taker (No DQ/No Countout - Career Ending Match)

& that's naming a few just from WWE. So while Meltzer's opinion is a rather respected one in the wrestling/sports entertainment world, I still wouldn't consider it as much more than any other opinion posted online because at the end of the day he is only one man & it's your own preferences that count.

I don't agree that all of the matches said are five star, but this thread reaffirms that Dave Meltzer is a tool, and really has no clue what he is talking about.

I'll throw a couple out there and play along.

Triple H vs. Steve Austin (No Way Out 2001)
Edge and Christian vs. The New Brood (No Mercy 1999)

Is it just me or from 2001 to 2003, there are a plethora of tit matches.

Angle/B*noit/Rey/Eddie are all involved somehow.

Oh and I have no problem with Shawn being in the anklelock that long. I never did. Till someone brought it up, and now I think maybe he should've tapped 1 minute into the grapevine. Fuck you WZ.

Is it just me or from 2001 to 2003, there are a plethora of tit matches.

Angle/B*noit/Rey/Eddie are all involved somehow.

It's what we call the Smackdown Six. Angle, Benoit, Edge, Rey, Chavo, and Eddie. Six of the best wrestlers the WWE has ever had, put on one brand and under the direction of Paul Heyman. The perfect recipe for huge success.

It's what we call the Smackdown Six. Angle, Benoit, Edge, Rey, Chavo, and Eddie. Six of the best wrestlers the WWE has ever had, put on one brand and under the direction of Paul Heyman. The perfect recipe for huge success.

One of these things are not like the others...

You probably mean Chavo, who is criminally underrated.

I feel the exact opposite. He had some really good matches in WCW's dying days but I can't recall him doing any great in WWE without Eddie or Rey.

I always thought Brock was considered one of the Smackdown Six? This is the first I've ever heard Chavo.

I feel the exact opposite. He had some really good matches in WCW's dying days but I can't recall him doing any great in WWE without Eddie or Rey.

I always thought Brock was considered one of the Smackdown Six? This is the first I've ever heard Chavo.

I think it's due in part to the awesome triple threat tag match they had at Survivor Series 2002.

But yeah, by all accounts Brock was in the Smackdown six.

I think it's due in part to the awesome triple threat tag match they had at Survivor Series 2002.

But yeah, by all accounts Brock was in the Smackdown six.

Brock is very much not part of the Smackdown Six. The Smackdown Six is fundamentally derived from the tag teams of Edge/Rey, Los Geurreros, and Benoit/Angle.

:confused:
I'll throw a couple out there and play along.

Triple H vs. Steve Austin (No Way Out 2001)
Edge and Christian vs. The New Brood (No Mercy 1999)

The E&C v Hardys tag team ladder match is probably my favourite match of all time. I watched it again last week and it is still incredible

Brock was very much a part of good matches in 02-03.

With Angle, the match with Benoit, Show/Brock told a great story at SSeries 02. The HiAC with Taker was a smashing brawl.

Even though I love seeing HBK tap, him being in the anklelock for five minutes just ruined it for me.

After re-watching it, yeah, you're right. That was fucking ridiculous. I was starting to hope he'd just legit snap the fucking thing.

Also, this is a 5 star match in my opinion.

Takes about 3 minutes to get to the match.

In my mind I would rate the TLC match that Edge had with Ric Flair at a 5.

Hulk Hogan vs The Rock at WM18 is a 5 star to me.

Triple H vs The Rock in the iron man match is 5 star too

After re-watching it, yeah, you're right. That was fucking ridiculous. I was starting to hope he'd just legit snap the fucking thing.

Also, this is a 5 star match in my opinion.

Takes about 3 minutes to get to the match.

Also damn near every hardcore title match IMO is 5 star just because they are so goofy and so fun to watch. 5 star on a different tier if that makes any sense. Also add that anything with Crash Holly was 5 star.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back