• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

"5 Star" Matches

It's a fine match, but calling it 5 stars is a bit ridiculous, given how ridiculous the match itself was.

Did someone really say the HIAC match with Michaels and Triple H was 5 stars? That was one of the most boring fucking matches ever.

No love anywhere for triple H and Austin from No Way Out 2001?

Match was amazing.

This is my first choice. Really amazing match.

Other than that I have got:

HBK vs Y2J WM 19

Rock vs Austin WM 17

Austin vs Benoit Smackdown 2001

Austin vs Angle Summerslam 2001

Austin vs Dude Love Over The Edge 1998

Bret vs Austin Survivor Series 1996

Eddie Guerrero vs Brock Lesnar No Way Out 2004

Cena vs HBK Raw in London 2007

HBK vs HHH Summerslam 2002

Hart Foundation vs Team Austin Canadian Stampede.

Edge vs Mick Foley WM 22

HHH vs Foley Royal Rumble 2001.

Royal Rumble 1992.

I'll get back to this.

Abyss fucking sucks and could hardly keep up with AJ's offense, not to mention there were some ridiculously illogical spots. And if I remember correctly, the match very bipolar. It started as a spot fest, then it moved to a slow paced mess, and then it went back to a spot fest.

Clearly my memory of the match isn't that great, so I'll watch it again one of these days, but I was very disappointed when I watched it the first time as it came highly recommended by someone on here that I like, I think Joe.

Abyss fucking sucks and could hardly keep up with AJ's offense, not to mention there were some ridiculously illogical spots. And if I remember correctly, the match very bipolar. It started as a spot fest, then it moved to a slow paced mess, and then it went back to a spot fest.

Clearly my memory of the match isn't that great, so I'll watch it again one of these days, but I was very disappointed when I watched it the first time as it came highly recommended by someone on here that I like, I think Joe.

[YOUTUBE]u1QCgwpIqKc[/YOUTUBE]

The match shows a great blend of action and emotion. Which is the reason I think it was done so well. Abyss came out looking like an unstoppable monster. While most of the stuff here has been seen, at this time their stuff was pretty new. AJ never showed any real power until here, and Abyss hasn't really wrestled as many hardcore matches as he has today. Mixed with the story up until that point of AJ being the outmatched X Division man that had little hope, this looked miles superior to any other attempt to book a match between a light wrestler and a superheavyweight.

Yeah that Abyss/Styles match is a classic. I definitely wouldn't go ***** for it, but I'd easily go **** or ****1/4.

As for the Triple H/HBK matches...apart from the Summerslam 02 match, the best match they ever had was on an episode of RAW in December of 03 which was like ****1/4 ish. Every other match they had was like ***1/4 AT BEST. Their Hell in a Cell match is solid but unbelievably long and tedious and I wouldn't go above ***1/4 for it, and I wouldn't go any higher for their Last Man Standing match at the 04 Royal Rumble. And their 3 Stages of Hell match at Armageddon 02? What a fucking disaster that match was for the most part. Some fun bits to it, but overall a total mess.

Good call LJL, forgot about that one. IIRC though that was a pretty solid match, but definitely nowhere near five stars. IIRC I gave it ***.

Jiggles is terrible at evaluating TNA matches.

In general it might be nice if people were capable of distinguishing between matches that they really liked and matches that were "5 stars." Although that does take most of the fun out of it.

A "5 Star" match, in my opinion, needs to be something I remember/can see myself remembering ten and more years after it took place. A lot of these matches do not register, for me, on that level.

A "5 Star" match, in my opinion, needs to be something I remember/can see myself remembering ten and more years after it took place. A lot of these matches do not register, for me, on that level.

If I took that into account, I'd say:

Angle/Anderson Lockdown 2010

Styles/Abyss Lockdown 2005

Unbreakable 3 Way

Undertaker/Michaels WM 25

Rock/Austin WM 17

Mankind/Taker HIAC

That's on my list Rokitka.

And yeah, why would you possibly think it's cool to have a picture of Marge and Bart Simpson graphically fucking as your signature? Come on man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back