5-Star/Perfect Matches

• Bret Hart versus Steve Austin, WrestleMania 13 (what the fuck is wrong with you people?)

• Already rated by Meltzer as five stars.

[*]Rob Van Dam versus Jeff Hardy, InVasion 2001
    I did indeed love this match, and I remember the last time I watched it, the fan reception to it was freaking insane. No mat classic, but this was spot after spot with only a few noticeable botches. I'd go ****1/4 for it, but that's just me. One to re-watch, as it's been awhile.

[*]AJ Styles versus Samoa Joe versus Christopher Daniels, Unbreakable 2005
    Already given ***** by Meltzer and Wade Keller.

I also thought about sneaking a Christian/Orton match onto there - probably their one at Over The Limit.
    The second best match of 2011 in WWE, I thought. I think it's a ****1/2 match, but that's just my opinion.

Still, two matches from one company in the same year seems like overkill, doesn't it?
    Two matches in a decade for Meltzer is too much, unless it's from NJPW or a Misawa match.

Shawn Michaels vs Shelton Benjamin RAW.
    It was around 12 minutes, which is too short to give that high a rating to.
    Five star ending, I'll say that.

Am I the only one who loved Taker vs Batista at Cyber Sunday? Austin was such a brilliant dynamic in that and all but the match itself was great as well.
    I liked it, didn't love it. It was an excellent main event to the PPV, that's for sure.

Triple H vs Shawn Michaels Summerslam 2002?
    Summerslam 2002:: HBK vs. HHH(Street Fight)
    Already made the list. :)

Jericho vs Benoit, Royal Rumble 2001

The ladder match? GREAT call.

I'd put HHH vs. Cactus in the street fight rematch on there.

Is this the one at the Royal Rumble? I ask because I have it on DVD upstairs and I wouldn't want to sit through a fantastic match only to find out it's not the one klunderbunker was talking about.

It was around 12 minutes, which is too short to give that high a rating to.
Given that bias and the fact that it's harder to logically fit a lot into a shorter match, I'd say it's easier to have a great long match than a great short match. But that doesn't mean short matches can't be great. In fact I'd say that having a great short match is a greater accomplishment than having a great long match.

Also, just for shits and giggles: You gave Angle vs Rey at SummerSlam 2002 the five snowflake stamp. That match clocked in at under ten minutes bell-to-bell.

Well you can't spell Pundit without Pun.

I have no clue really I don't.

HBK/Cena, where do we stand on that? 4 stars?

The rematch on Raw, which I assume you're referring to, is significantly better than their WrestleMania match. Feasibly five star material.

Ye the rematch. Alright.

Angle/HBK the Ironman match. I don't remember a damn thing from that match, only that it happened. I might watch it tonight.

I might also toast Angle during but all that will be in bad taste.

Fuck it, I'll play...

-Austin vs Benoit on SmackDown in Edmonton
-Eddie vs Rey on SmackDown in June 2005
-Eddie vs Rey at Halloween Havoc
-Eddie vs Brock at No Way Out 2004
-Eddie vs JBL at Judgement Day 2004
-Edge/Foley vs Funk/Dreamer at One Night Stand 2006
-Benoit vs DDP vs Raven at Uncensored 1998
-Benoit vs Regal at No Mercy 2006
-Benoit vs Regal on Velocity in 2005 or 2006
-Benoit vs Finlay at Judgement Day 2006
-Benoit vs Triple H at No Mercy 2000

Am I overrating Eddie/Benoit because they're dead? No. You're underrating them as a knee jerk reaction to other people overrating them. I'm rating them properly.

You not seen Voldermort v Kurt Angle in 03? Great match.

It was like Kurt vs Slightly tanned Kurt in a singlet.

Fuck it, I'll play...

-Austin vs Benoit on SmackDown in Edmonton
-Eddie vs Rey on SmackDown in June 2005
-Eddie vs Rey at Halloween Havoc
-Eddie vs Brock at No Way Out 2004
-Eddie vs JBL at Judgement Day 2004
-Edge/Foley vs Funk/Dreamer at One Night Stand 2006
-Benoit vs DDP vs Raven at Uncensored 1998
-Benoit vs Regal at No Mercy 2006
-Benoit vs Regal on Velocity in 2005 or 2006
-Benoit vs Finlay at Judgement Day 2006

Am I overrating Eddie/Benoit because they're dead? No. You're underrating them as a knee jerk reaction to other people overrating them. I'm rating them properly.

Good man.

Also Regal vs Benoit at the Pillman memorial.

Benoit and The Rock had a great match once, didn't they? I feel like I've seen it but I can't say for sure.

I can't have a man pushing Benoit and Guerrero up in one breath and then dragging The Rock down in the next. Rocky's somehow developed a reputation as someone who was never that good in the ring recently and it's just not true - he was magic. Shit, I'll dig through my DVD collection and come back with half a dozen brilliant matches.

Benoit and The Rock had a great match once, didn't they? I feel like I've seen it but I can't say for sure.

Fully Loaded 2000.

I can't have a man pushing Benoit and Guerrero up in one breath and then dragging The Rock down in the next. Rocky's somehow developed a reputation as someone who was never that good in the ring recently and it's just not true - he was magic. Shit, I'll dig through my DVD collection and come back with half a dozen brilliant matches.

It's maybe because all his title reigns were fairly short and it wouldn't surprise me if he had one of the poorer win/loss records of a main-event face. Yet, Rock was arguably at his best when he was chasing the title rather than when he had it and he helped put over lots of talent.

Half a dozen? I meant a dozen. The Rock + Fully Loaded = Magnificence

It's algebra. Get with the program, dweebs.

I'm not dragging Rock down. I'm just not partial to him.

I had the misfortune of DVRing Rock vs Cena 2 on NBC last night to see if my opinion of the match had changed. Spoiler: It still sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back