5 Moves of Doom (Wrestling Terminology)

when I say pure wrestling, I mean I like ring work, I'm not an entertainment fan, I like catch-hand/chain wrestling and mat wrestling.
NOt highspots and stuff and by clinic I mean a wrestling clinic, I agree amuetur wrestling is boring but puro isn't. I like the in ring performance and in ring emotions and story telling, I hate spotfests that WWE has become.
That's not a clinic, that's not pure wrestling. Pure wrestling is a carney creation used to get people to pay money to see one guy kick another guys' ass. Pure wrestling is simple "over" wrestling.

I enjoy mat wrestling too, however, very few guys do it right. Not only that but most chain wrestling is basic shit you see guys a month or two in working on.

If you like in ring performance and storytelling, then you have to like John Cena. Unless you don't really understand in ring storytelling.

Puro is high spotty as fuck. You'll see a german suplex, guy no sells, hits a sick lariat, the other guy no sells, hits a stiff kick, no sell, headdrop, no sell, finisher, no sell, finisher 1, no sell, finisher 2, no sell, finisher 3, no sell.

Now, SOME puro is really good. When they actually bother to fucking sell and tell a story. However, a lot of them don't sell anything, not even top rope head droppy stuff.

some guy above said it's good to have technicians as long as the commentators put it over. Which is true, it's a GIMMICK. a guy who does basic chain wrestling isn't anymore technically skilled than the guy who does flex poses. ANYONE in the WWE can do chain wrestling. They just don't all do it. Why? It doesn't fit everyone's character and it doesn't get over unless it's promoted as "this guy is a technician". Bret Hart was technically sound, but it was a gimmick that he was this technical wizard. He did a lot of basic stuff that anyone could do. It wasn't his technical skill that got him over, it was his ring psychology and storytelling that did. He was very deliberate with his moves, which made him look more technical, like precisely wrapping the leg, hooking the head, and pulling back for a russian leg sweep.

If any of you see a guy who you think is more technically sound or "the best in ring wrestler" it's probably because that's their gimmick. Kurt Angle has been telling the same in ring story since 2001 and doesn't have a single legitimate finisher and pretty much forgets to sell anything once he starts the finishing stretch, however, if you ask people on here, you'd think he was the most over guy on the planet. He's not, it's his GIMMICK that he's the "best pure wrestler in the world". No different than Bret Hart's GIMMICK. Kurt Angle's is believable because he has the gold medals. It's a GIMMICK to sell tickets. No different than CM Punk being a cult fan's Jesus, no different than John Cena selling brightly colored T-shirts.

To tie this into the main thread. A guys 5 moves of doom should reflect their character. Cena does a lot of brawling moves and crude looking slams, it fits his character. HBK did a bunch of flashy stuff. It all ties in to character and how they want to be percieved.

I don't like it when people don't think what happens today is "pure wrestling" it's the same thing, it's just more sophisticated. Instead of using basic moves to convey realism, they use flashy gestures and moves and character quirks to tell the story. It's all still storytelling. Just like a chain wrestling exhibition can be poorly done (see alex shelley going 100 miles per hour making it look fake as fuck, not allowing the crowd to digest so when he does a sick submission, no one cares vs Bryan Danielson making the ROH crowd pop on a top wrist lock variation), so can the modern style. It's the same thing, just different ways of doing it. Neither is anymore or less "pro wrestling" than the other.

I dont like Cena... but it is kind of funny that nobody really criticizes HBK and Bret Hart for 5 moves of doom but Cena gets killed. If you want to talk about predictability... you are pretty much guaranteed to see an atomic drop, backbreaker, russian leg sweep and an elbow from the 2nd rope at the end of all Bret's matches.

I personally like the 5mod sequence. When babyface does that seqeuence those are some of the loudest moments by the crowd during a match. It also makes counters better. Because you are countering moves the people are familiar with.

Hogan is really the one guy that actually ended a lot his matches with the 5mod.

Anyone who thinks that having a 5 Moves of Doom routine is a sign of a bad wrestler needs to wake up and smell the coffee, having a 5 Moves of Doom routine is the sign of a great in ring storyteller. The amount of moves varies, but the fact remains that many of the best storytellers over the past 30 years have used the 5 moves of doom to signal that the match is reaching a climax, whether it be the finish, a false finish, or a total swerve.

Just look at the names of those who had a 5 Moves of Doom Routine over the past 30 years: Hogan, Hart, Michaels, Triple H, The Rock, Cena, Edge, Orton, and I'm sure many more that I didn't bother including because that list is impressive enough.

A Five Moves of Doom sequence is a great way to signal the audience to get pumped for an approaching major moment of the match, and it works every time, and you can look to Cena for an example. Some people absolutely despise his 5 Moves of Doom sequence, but love it or hate it, the entire arena is reacting to it when he starts to hit it, and that's what wrestling is all about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back