2012 Presidential Candidate Debate

This middle man bank thing is actually a really common sense thing Obama's administration did that no one else has done for some reason.

"We're a nation that believes we're all children of the same god."

Did he REALLY just say that???

Yes. That just happened.

I think it's a sign of an actually successful debate when there isn't a lot of drama to talk about. Both guys have been pretty great on their particular side tonight. But that won't matter when it comes down to the American people. As it's been said, simply tying with Obama isn't going to do anything for Romney. However, remember there are still 2 more presidential debates. Romney came out looking strong tonight; so did Obama. Beforehand there was this huge idea that ROmney was joke in this election. Simply showing he can hold his own might be a great step forward for the GOP.

Yes. That just happened.

I think it's a sign of an actually successful debate when there isn't a lot of drama to talk about. Both guys have been pretty great on their particular side tonight. But that won't matter when it comes down to the American people. As it's been said, simply tying with Obama isn't going to do anything for Romney. However, remember there are still 2 more presidential debates. Romney came out looking strong tonight; so did Obama. Beforehand there was this huge idea that ROmney was joke in this election. Simply showing he can hold his own might be a great step forward for the GOP.

Maybe but I can't imagine this is the big moment they were hoping for.

That's what I mean: Romney needs to prove that he needs to be able to beat Obama, not just hang with him. He hasn't done that tonight, and that's why he's in trouble.

I don't think that's it, but I agree that he did need to show us more than what he showed us tonight. He basically just said, "Obama is doing a poor job," every time it was his turn to talk.

Romney needed to tell us what he was going to do. He hasn't.

I don't think that's it, but I agree that he did need to show us more than what he showed us tonight. He basically just said, "Obama is doing a poor job," every time it was his turn to talk.

Romney needed to tell us what he was going to do. He hasn't.

Yeah like I said earlier: How would he do it? He's never given anything specific before tonight and he still didn't tonight.

How would you get rid of gridlock in Congress?

Romney: Perhaps you didn't notice this, but I'm a white guy. They'll work with me.

Romney just said he wants to "grade" the schools. As somebody who went through a mostly white high school in the suburbs of Chicago, that was monitored closely by the government because our test scores were too low...fuck you Romney. Get the fed out of education, and let the states work it out themselves. The government came in and cut our school's art funding until we could get our scores back up. "No CHild Left Behind" WAS and IS a giant grading system for the public education system, and it's absolute bullshit.

Romney just said he wants to "grade" the schools. As somebody who went through a mostly white high school in the suburbs of Chicago, that was monitored closely by the government because our test scores were too low...fuck you Romney. Get the fed out of education, and let the states work it out themselves. The government came in and cut our school's art funding until we could get our scores back up.

My aunt was a teacher for close to 40 years and she's one of the sweetest, kindest people you'll ever see. She was considered one of the best teachers in the city for years, so she has experience and was considered successful.

She thought No Child Left Behind was "the stupidest thing I have ever heard of."

Anne Romney continues to be the only person in Romney's camp that seems to have any kind of warmth to her.

This kind of reminds me of the Rock-Cena sparring matches of the past year. If you're a Cena fan, you thought he made Rock look stupid and rusty. If you're a Rock fan, you thought he owned Cena. People see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear.

I'd fire this moderator after five minutes on my staff.

Would you throw Romney in prison for annoying a mod? What would his prison name be?

We've got 20 minutes left here and Romney is in trouble. There isn't a clear winner here and that's bad for Mitt. Just standing even with Obama and drawing a tie is fine for Obama.

Would that be the equivalent of a champion's advantage in wrestling? How many times did Ric Flair wrestle a 60 minute draw and walk out with the belt.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll take my wrestling talk elsewhere now.

No Child Left Behind was absolute shit.

I thought it was a good debate, an entertaining one. I don't think either Romney or Obama "won". Obviously, I like what Obama said much more than what Romney said, but I think both guys made some good comments. I think Obama had a few good zingers, and I think Romney spun his story in some parts better than Obama spun his.

EDIT: Romney continuing to lie about the Medicare money was rather annoying though.

This is a conversation I'm having with my grandmother, a woman approaching 60 who has been a staunch Christian Republican party-voter for her entire life.

i won't go too deep into politics, but i will not vote for any candidate that does not uphold Christian principles. Anyone who is pro abortion and believes in same sex marriage will never get my vote. I vote Biblical principles, not the economy or anything like that. Voting Biblical principles and letting God take care of the rest.

I then argued that even if she voted on those ideals, she has no real reason to vote for Romney. I questioned whether anybody who really believes the craziness of Joseph Smith can actually, and effectively lead the United States.

He is pro life and does not believe in same sex marriages. I do not like the fact that he is a Mormon, but he is pro life and pro traditional marriage. I will let God take care of the rest. Too many Christians get wrapped up in jobs, economy, crime, foreign affairs, etc. The Bible is very clear that if people trust God and follow his Word, that He will take care of the rest. "If my people who are called by my name .....etc, etc." you know the rest......it ends with "I will heal their land."

I then argued that even if you have faith in God, that doesn't release you of the responsibility to make smart intellectual decisions in the political system. I said that those "too many Christians get wrapped up" in things that matter, and directly influence you on a daily basis. She didn't buy it.

no, i didn't make myself quite understood. Voting is very important...and looking into the records of each candidate is necessary for making an educated choice. People vote on the issues that are important to them. For me, abortion and traditional values are paramount. So those are the issues I look at. How each candidate votes on those two issues. I do believe our economy and jobs (or lack thereof) are important in this country. My personal finances have always done better when I leave big decisions regarding them up to God. Even tho your grandpa was out of work and things got very very tight here, we still brought everything before God. That fateful Sunday morning, we were in church and gramps was on his knees before God ..trusting in Him to intercede on our behalf. I don't think either of us thought that his death was the way to pay our bills.

Well, i sort of got off the political thing, didn't I? I'm still having to come to terms with that last part. I never expected God to help us with finances by taking Bruce home. That just wasn't in the game plan and I don't think I will ever understand why God chose that avenue.

I then carefully implied that maybe "God" didn't kill off grandpa a few months ago. Maybe he just had a heart attack while working in the garage, and that life happens and continues on, and we've got to deal with that. I have to be cautious, because I know she's an emotional wreck still. Probably always will be after being married for more than my total years of life. But I'm still working through that death too, and I don't have bullshit pseudo-science to fall back on. This kind of argument drives me absolutely nuts...

:banghead::banghead:

Would you throw Romney in prison for annoying a mod? What would his prison name be?

Would that be the equivalent of a champion's advantage in wrestling? How many times did Ric Flair wrestle a 60 minute draw and walk out with the belt.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll take my wrestling talk elsewhere now.

Basically. Obama had all the momentum coming in and a ton of people have their minds made up already. Romney needed to hit a home run and he hit a single and might have advanced on a throwing error. This would be like Flair retaining the title on a referee stoppage because the Maryland Athletic Commission said Luger was bleeding too badly.

Wrestling, politics and baseball. Now how's that for an answer.

No Child Left Behind was absolute shit.

I thought it was a good debate, an entertaining one. I don't think either Romney or Obama "won". Obviously, I like what Obama said much more than what Romney said, but I think both guys made some good comments. I think Obama had a few good zingers, and I think Romney spun his story in some parts better than Obama spun his.

EDIT: Romney continuing to lie about the Medicare money was rather annoying though.

That's what I thought but MSNBC is eviscerating Obama for it. They thought Romney destroyed him which I really didn't see.

Meh, MSNBC wants Obama to act like they would act, and the fact of the matter is, Obama can't. He has to be Presidential. He had to come across as calm, cool, collected, and knowledgeable.

Romney, on the other hand, had to do the opposite. He HAD to be aggressive, because it's the only thing he hasn't tried yet.

I didn't say it was going to fix everything. It would do a lot of good also if the government would quit raiding those programs which need to be around.

If it wouldn't fix the real problem then it really would not do that much good. If the programs are insolvent then it is obvious they do not need to be around in their current form. It is a lot easier to just address the part of the problem that fits your idealogy. To bad by only doing so we never actually solve the problem.

You know there's a political debate going on when...

8lRbw.jpg

Romney looked like a douche in this debate. At times it looked like he was laughing at Obama. I am ignoring the immigration thing, don't know what they think and I know their views surely suck on it anyway. Lose Lose for me on that.

Meh, MSNBC wants Obama to act like they would act, and the fact of the matter is, Obama can't. He has to be Presidential. He had to come across as calm, cool, collected, and knowledgeable.

Romney, on the other hand, had to do the opposite. He HAD to be aggressive, because it's the only thing he hasn't tried yet.

The average person is not calm, cool, collected or knowledgeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back