Maine Gubernatorial Candidate Comes Out As Gay

LSN80

King Of The Ring
Ideally, a political candidacy should be about the issues, the things that truly affect the voters. Today, Mike Michaud, a U.S. representative from Maine and gubernatorial hopeful, announced he's gay. But will it have a positive or negative effect on his chances, and what impact will it have on the election in all?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...atorial-candidate-comes-out-as-gay/?hpt=hp_t2

In a blog written in newspapers that appeared throughout the state, Michaud announced today that he was gay. Michaud is a 6-term Congressman, so he's no stranger to politics. So why would Michaud come out now, over a year before the official election to determine the next Governor of Maine? Michaud, in his letter to the newspapers, explained why in candid detail:

"My decision to come out is a direct response to whisper campaigns, insinuations and push-polls from my political opponents. Allow me to save them the trouble with a simple, honest answer. Yes I am. But why should it matter?"
I agree with Michaud completely, but will that be the case when the election rolls around? Perhaps by making this announcement so far in advance, Michaud is ensuring that it's a storm that will blow over by the time the election rolls around. Call me a skeptic, but I don't see it happening that way. If his announcement was made as a result of attempted slander by his most formidable opponent(or any of the other 5), incumbent Republican Paul LePage, wh won't it be an issue then? Maine is one of the 14 states that allow same-sex marriage, one of only 3 that was brought about so by popular vote. Thus,should LePage-or any of the other candidates- attack Michaud as a 'sinner' and 'immoral', one would think that strategy would backfire, wouldn't it seem?. So perhaps Michaud is simply getting ahead of the rumors, lest he be labeled 'less than honest' by his opponents.

In the end, Michaud's track-record, competency, and ability to connect with the people of Maine should be the determining factor in the election. Michaud downplayed his announcement, explaining further in the following:

It may seem like a big announcement to some people. It's just a part of who I am, as much as being a third-generation mill worker or a lifelong Mainer. One thing I do know is that it has nothing to do with my ability to lead the state of Maine.I write this now merely to let my opponents and the outside interests who fund them know that I am not ashamed of who I am. And if seeing someone from my background, in my position openly acknowledge the fact that he's gay makes it a little bit easier for future generations to live their lives openly and without fear, all the better."
:thumbsup: I wish I could vote for this guy. Then again, I'm glad I don't live in Maine. I only wonder if Michaud should have waited until after the election to make the announcement. Intentional or no, it brings the possibility of clouding the issues with discussion and judgment of Michaud's personal life. Myself? I would have left a string of 'no comments' in the wake of accusations, but I'm not a politician. And even with Michaud's proclamation that it has nothing to do with his ability to lead Maine, it could turn out to be good politics for Michaud, especially in Maine.

He's now front page news on CNN, after all.

Do you believe Michaud's announcement that he's gay will have a positive, negative, or mitigating effect on Michaud's chances?

Would you have made this announcement now if you were Michaud, or waited until after the election?

You guys know the drill by now. Other thoughts and discussion are always welcome.

Thus,should LePage-or any of the other candidates- attack Michaud as a 'sinner' and 'immoral', one would think that strategy would backfire, wouldn't it seem?

Yes, so it would seem. A generation ago, people never would have understood how a person who has been smeared can wind up smelling like roses by using the negative information as an offensive weapon. I remember a movie from the 60's ("The Oscar") that was ahead of it's time. In it, an "on the downside of his career" actor was nominated for an Academy Award for a movie he made. Soon after the nomination, a smear campaign was launched against him, detailing many sordid details of his past; with damaging information about himself and others. He had to address these stories in public and gained tons of publicity by doing so. Of course, it was he who had anonymously initiated and spread the dirty rumors in the first place, in hopes that the notoriety would put his name out there and win him the Oscar (it didn't).

However, that's why the Maine candidate for governor might have revealed his sexual preferences before his biggest campaign. It gets people talking about him, noticing him......and having so many of them praise his "courage" in coming out with this (no pun intended).

At the same time, it's hard to believe his opponents would try to use Michaud's "gayness" against him, especially in this politically correct day and age. But, like the guy in "The Oscar," there are ways to take issues that might hurt a candidacy.....and turn it into an asset.

Do you believe Michaud's announcement that he's gay will have a positive, negative, or mitigating effect on Michaud's chances?

I don't see it as being any real problem, especially when you take a few things into consideration. Michaud is a Democrat and the Democratic Party is known for supporting gay rights. Same sex marriage was legalized in Maine during the 2012 election last November with a vote of 53%-47%. Public Policy Polling conducted in August shows that 53% of voters in Maine approve of the legalization of same sex marriage while only 38% opposed, a 2.5 year low. So I don't see the voters of Maine taking his sexual orientation as a negative. From a political standpoint, as a whole, Maine is a liberal state. His opponent attacking him because of his orientation would backfire as things have changed quite a bit when it comes to social issues. All in all, the New England states are a Democratic stronghold, so Republican candidates thumping the Bible while going after their opponents for being sinners or immoral simply don't have the kind of impact. The Republican Party, as a whole, has something of a reputation for being prejudiced against minorities across the board in the first place, so going after Michaud because he's gay will only serve to reinforce that perception in the minds of some.

Would you have made this announcement now if you were Michaud, or waited until after the election?

Michaud coming out almost a full year to the day that same sex marriage was legalized in Maine was no mere coincidence. Pretty much everything politicians do and say in public is ultimately planned out after the various underlings determine whether or not they think something will help or hinder them. About 5.2% of Maine's population is openly gay, which comes to roughly 69,000 people and, odds are, most of those gay voters will, quite possibly, vote for Michaud because he's gay. Michaud coming out has almost surely gotten him the gay vote. I don't know how many of the roughly 69,000 openly gay citizens of Maine are legally registered voters. If most or all of them are, it's a very significant number of votes when you take into account that the population of Maine is only about 1.33 million.

The following is a paraphrased quote from openly gay former Congressman Barney Frank on why being gay doesn't make a difference in decision making.

"I heard someone say I shouldn't be listened to because I put my penis in a place where a man relieves himself. This coming from someone who puts his in a place that bleeds for days every month but doesn't die."

The point is simple: someone's sexuality doesn't make them any more or less intelligent or capable of making decisions. If someone wants to make a case that they object to the person's sexuality on moral grounds, that's their decision to make, but to suggest that someone is incompetent or incapable of running a state because they're gay is going to be laughed out of the room most of the time in today's world.

It makes sense to do this now, as ANYTHING will be labeled a scandal if it comes out (no pun intended) in the last weeks of a campaign. This gets it out of the way early and even sets a small trap for the incumbent to possibly step in if he blasts Michaud for being gay. Smart, logical move all around.

I have no problem with what this man did. Will it hurt his campaign? Maybe. I would hope not, but sometimes we as people need to be eased into things. What I can say is that even if this does eventually lead to him not being elected, it's still the first step in an openly gay individual eventually getting elected into office. What kind of conspiracy theories do people have to come up with to think that this would be a major issue, or cause any problems in the office?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back