2011-12 NBA Playoffs LD

The Thunder are on the same kind of run the Heat had against the Celtics. Where the other team just can't find any way to stop it.

Wade can't shoot under 40% if the Heat expect to win. He's just played awful like he has for most of the playoffs.

Collison and Sefolosha were great for the Thunder. I think the Heat just ran out of gas after an excellent first half. Poor rotation/use of time out by Spoelstra if that is the case.

The depth of the Thunder really came out to play tonight, guys like Collison really stepped up tonight. Sefalosha had a great game, and Durant & Westbrook delivered as always.

If depth guys like Collison can continue to make impacts in the upcoming games like they did tonight, it'll make it easier for Durant, Westbrook, and Harden by taking some of the load off of them.

The Thunder looked great tonight, but having home court and much more rest time, tonight's win wasn't much of a surprise. I think G2 will be closer and will be more of a tossup. I still have the Thunder in 6, though.

Collison and Sefolosha were great for the Thunder. I think the Heat just ran out of gas after an excellent first half. Poor rotation/use of time out by Spoelstra if that is the case.

I don't think they ran out of gas, I think the Thunder just got hot.
The depth of the Thunder really came out to play tonight, guys like Collison really stepped up tonight.
Not really. Collison was active on the offensive glass, getting a few tips, but other than that, it was all about Westbook and Durant, and the Heat missing shots in the second half.

"Ran out of gas" is too strong of a statement but Wade and James did seem tired and hunched over in the 4th. In the end though Durant, Westbrook and Sefolosha seemed to be playing at a much higher gear. Durant's shooting was probably the biggest factor. Teams that shoot well against Miami keep them out of their transition game. I don't have the stats but the second half felt like their transition buckets were way less than normal for a Miami team.

Not really. Collison was active on the offensive glass, getting a few tips, but other than that, it was all about Westbook and Durant, and the Heat missing shots in the second half.

I think Sefolosha deserves a ton of credit. He guarded James well in the 4th, which allowed Durant to have more on the offensive end. Depth isn't that big of a deal at this point in the playoffs since teams are likely not going to go more than 7 or 8 deep. But beyond Durant/Westbrook and James/Wade, OKC seems to right now have better players (a healthy Bosh might change this) who complement the stars in their roles.

Heat did what they always do. Came out the 3rd not ready to play. Got away with it versus lesser teams, and the aged Celtics, but it's not going to sustain them against the Thunder. I'd say Game 2 is as close as you can get to must win without actually being must win.

Obviously the main story is always going to be how the Big 3 of each team plays. And in this game, the Thunder's guys were more dominant. I'm just saying that Collison stepped up for a bench guy. His impact wasn't along the lines of the bigger names, but for a bench guy, almost getting a double-double (8 pts, 10 rebounds) is going to help your team out a lot, especially when you aren't really expected to produce to that extent for your team. I mean, when's the last time Collison did that in the playoffs? KD & Westbrook were singing his praises in postgame interviews for his contributions.

Heat did what they always do. Came out the 3rd not ready to play. Got away with it versus lesser teams, and the aged Celtics, but it's not going to sustain them against the Thunder. I'd say Game 2 is as close as you can get to must win without actually being must win.

I agree. I think the Heat really need G2.

As good as Wade and James are I think its gonna come down to the simple fact the Heat are just too strong for them.

OKC has their own dynamic duo who outscored the Heat's big 3 in game one. James was good, Durant was simply better. Wade and Bosh were average, Westbrook played great.

Heat started strong but as the game went on it turned more and more into OKC's game outscoring the Heat by 18 in the second half. I just don't see the Heat overcoming OKC, I don't see it.

Thunder got hot true. But the Heat seem to be a step slower in the 4th quarter. In the end, the difference could simply be probably due to the Thunder playing at home.

Miami role players gave them quality minutes and cancel out the contributions from OKC role players. OKC big 3 had 2 players that played up to expectations. Miami's big 3 had 2 that did not play to expectations. That is probably where the game was lost.

Thunder got hot true. But the Heat seem to be a step slower in the 4th quarter. In the end, the difference could simply be probably due to the Thunder playing at home.

Miami role players gave them quality minutes and cancel out the contributions from OKC role players. OKC big 3 had 2 players that played up to expectations. Miami's big 3 had 2 that did not play to expectations. That is probably where the game was lost.

Who do you mean by the Heat role players, the other starters?

Because the Thunder's depth is not cancelled out by the Heat's.

Who do you mean by the Heat role players, the other starters?

Because the Thunder's depth is not cancelled out by the Heat's.

Yes I meant their other starters. Heat only played 6 players with meaningful minutes. Charlmers, Battier contributed more than expected from them. Haslem did what he was expected to do. Wade and Bosh did not do enough.

I agree Wade & Bosh need to do more. Bosh was slinging up 3's like crazy and Wade could've and should've done more. Back to Bosh for a moment, I really think that injury must be bothering for him not to have started in the Finals. Sure, he had a decent number of minutes, but it must really be nagging him. If this were the reg. season, he probably would've sat for much longer than his original absence to heal up. I think Bosh will remain banged up for the remainder of the Finals, and I don't think Wade is very healthy right now either (I know no one's 100% at this point, but these two stick out). As for the depth of the two teams, I think the Thunder will win that contest every time, so the Heat need their Big 3 to carry the load more than ever in this series. Game 2 is almost a must-win for them, but not quite.

Yeah I think Spo figured that since they won their last 2 games with Bosh as a reserve he'd try to ride that out. I'd expect the Heat to make a few adjustments for game 2:

1. Bosh starts - Just doesn't seem comfortable coming on as a 6th man and makes their offense more diverse
2. LBJ guards Durant for a heavy duration of the game - while LBJ moved around and played against everyone in game 1, I think their best bet is to put their best perimeter defender on he one guy that will give KD a difficult time shooting over since he's only a few inches shorter.
3. We see another guy or two off the bench during the middle periods - you aren't gonna win many games with a 6 man rotation. Miller/James Jones/Norris Cole will get more PT and give Wade/LBJ a blow earlier.

Still, the Heat aren't winning if 2/3 of their best players fail to play like they're expected to. That's a matchup they just can't lose since they don't have a bench that can carry a game like the Spurs or Thunder. I'd expect a better effort defensively and don't want to count the Heat out even if they lose this game because we've seen them come back from deficits before this postseason and they get 3 in a row at home. While winning G2 puts the pressure back on the Thunder, I wouldn't label it must win. They play much better at home and if they were to take 3 there they'd only need to steal one of the last 2, which is definitely possible.

But they can help themselves out by taking one on the road. They will have to win 1 there sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back