• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

2008-09 NHL Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wrong the Ducks are 0-3 against the Stars (play them a 4th time tonight)...I hope we beat them. They are my most hated rival right now and I want Texas fans to cry a second time this week (cough...COWBOYS..cough)..And we win tonight and we get the 4th spot in the West...thats home ice for a round right there...hopefully the climb tontinues....and besides last time they came to Anaheim they beat us 5-0 so payback is a bitch tonight. Detroit lost to Ottawa on saturday night...they are a very very good home team but on the road they are not as good and you all will find out in a week or 2 when they come to Anaheim.

So after listening to Detroit vs Atlanta, I feel even more confident in my statement that Detroit would not be as far ahead of the league if they pleayed more of the Eastern teams. Yes Atlanta has improved immensly over the 0-6 start, or whatever it was, but they still are no where near the best team in the East. 5-1... Sounds to me like Detroit has a little problem somewhere that Atlanta exposed. Onto some other action last night... THE DUCKS... 4-2 against Dallas... That made me very happy to see. The Ducks continue to surge and out West I don't think there is much to stop them. The Devils have a huge game tonight against the Islanders. Pittsburgh has tied them for the Atlantic Division lead, though having one more game played. Tonight the Devils look for they're first win against the Islanders this season...

Here is an updated list of the current top 8 teams in the Eastern and Western Conference:

Eastern Conference
1. Ottawa Senators
2. New Jersey Devils
3. Atlanta Thrashers
4. Pittsburgh Penguins
5. Montréal Canadiens
6. Philadelphia Flyers
7. New York Islanders
8. Boston Bruins

Western Conference
1. Detroit Red Wings
2. San Jose Sharks
3. Minnesota Wild
4. Anaheim Ducks
5. Dallas Stars
6. Vancouver Canucks
7. Colorado Avalanche
8. Calgary Flames

Sadly my Leafs are not doing too well, well actually rthey're doing pitifully. I now the Rangers aren't doing too well at the moment, but they are my pick for the Stanley Cup Champions. They really have potential. Lately they haven't been playing as well as usual, but I'm sure they'll rebound. I've said it before, but I just don't see the Ducks winning the cup this year, I see them going far in the playoffs, but not going all the way. I agree with the above statements saying that Detroit would not be doing as well if they were in the Eastern Conference.

So... The Devils played the Islanders tonight... and lost for a 4th straight time against them. I don't get it... We can beat Ottowa, but we don't have one win this season over the Islanders??? Here's a good question... What the Hell happened to the Sabers... Last year they were fighting for 1st in the league... Now... dropped 10 straight games with they're loss to the Rangers. I find it funny that only 1 Southeast division team is actually in the top 8... That being Atlanta for the moment... Hurricanes are in a slump, but they should be fine.

Agrex, how you could you say that the Rangers are gonna win it and the Ducks wont even make it? I mean the Ducks are playing much better than the Rangers right now and according to your topp 8 in the east, the Rangers arent even there! They have been losing lately and badly at home to the Philadelphia Flyers and to the Penguins recently as well. They are in last in the Atlantic Division while the Ducks sit in 4th in the Western Cionference ready to overtake San Jose for 3rd and then 2nd. Yes they prolly wont catch the Wings but it wont matter because we play the Wings tough so even if we get a rematch, we should be able to grind out a win...but honestly even if they dont win the stanley cup...if they just make the playoffs and go deep, I will still be a proud Ducks fan. I mean it is always an accomplishment to play well in the playoffs....some teams havent made theplayoffs for years (cough La Kings cough). I personally like the Rangers but they are the weakest link in a good division.

I can see the Rangers getting to the playoffs... I don't see them winning the cup. I'm not saying that because I'm a Devils fan either. I just really do not see the Rangers as a team that can hang with teams like Ottowa, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Hell even Philly. The Rangers road trip didn't go all that well for them as they lost to the Oilers, shut out by Vancover, and lost to Calgary as well. When they returned to the East... They lost to Tampa Bay, who is one of the last teams in the East. Then they got killed by Philly. They beat Montreal, but then got picked apart by Pittsburgh. It's going to be very hard for the Rangers to make the playoffs, espically with the month of March. Yes I know it's a wys away, but the Rangers have a very tough March this year, and it's nearly all divison play. They play the Devils twice Islanders twice Penguins twice and Flyers 3 times. If the Rangers keep playing the way they are now, that could potentially be disasterous month.

Its bad enough New York City has the Knicks, now the Rangers doing bad...poor them. We play Nashville tonight...the first game of a 12 in 13 game road trip....I think we (The Ducks) will probably go 9-3-1 if I had to guess. I would be happy with that mark. 8 wins is 16 points. Certainly good. I think having Niedermeyer and Pronger together makes the Ducks extremely lethal and Weight is fitting in nicely....The Devils should always be on top at least until Brodeur retires....then u guys might not be as good but thats not for a while (pending health of course). I should hate the Devils but I dont (they beat our asses in 03). That was a great year tho. I certianly dont see any new teams winning the cup this year. The cup winner will be a team that has been established for at least 2 years. (Ducks, Devils, Red Wings, Sens). Thats usually how hockey works.

Agrex, how you could you say that the Rangers are gonna win it and the Ducks wont even make it? I mean the Ducks are playing much better than the Rangers right now and according to your topp 8 in the east, the Rangers arent even there! They have been losing lately and badly at home to the Philadelphia Flyers and to the Penguins recently as well. They are in last in the Atlantic Division while the Ducks sit in 4th in the Western Cionference ready to overtake San Jose for 3rd and then 2nd. Yes they prolly wont catch the Wings but it wont matter because we play the Wings tough so even if we get a rematch, we should be able to grind out a win...but honestly even if they dont win the stanley cup...if they just make the playoffs and go deep, I will still be a proud Ducks fan. I mean it is always an accomplishment to play well in the playoffs....some teams havent made theplayoffs for years (cough La Kings cough). I personally like the Rangers but they are the weakest link in a good division.

Like I said I have faith in the Rangers. I know they are dong badly at the moment, but they have plenty of time to rebound, and in my opinion, they will. As for the Ducks, I said that they were gonna go far in the playoffs, but not win it, not that they won't win the playoffs. I am happy to say that the leafs have ended their awefull losing streak, and are on a winning streak. They are still terrible, but maybe, somehow, they'll make the playoffs this year. I have faith in three teams this year: Rangers, Devils, and Senators. My top three picks for the champs this year.

I dont see any western teams on your top picks! That is east coast bias again. I know they have won most of the last 10 Stanley Cups but the east coast teams are not that unbeatable.....I think the Stars, Red Wings and Duckas can all play toe to toe with the Rangers, Devils and sens.. (in fact Ducks are in the beginning of a road trip that will take them to New Jersey I cant wait. I think the west champion will win the cup again. There are many talented teams in the west that always come close and this year is no different.

Right now it's so hard to tell exactly which teams are going to make it all the way. I'm saying that again cause of all this division stuff... Detroit has a 20 point lead over Columbus... I mean the Devils don't even play Detroit in the regular season this year... It's still anyone's guess as to who will go all the way. The season is after all only about 1/2 over. There is still plenty of time for a lot of things to happen. As far as my picks to win the whole damn thing... I have to go with either the Devils, Penguins, or Ducks. Reasons for the Devils and Penguins are really the same with that being that both teams have improved immensly from last year. I've been saying it since the lockout that in a few years the Penguins would be a major contender. The Devils have always been up there, but even with the injuries they have, they are still closing on Ottowa. The Ducks since the beginning of the season have really returned to the nearly the same form that won them the cup last year. Detroit has lost 3 of it's last 5 so I do think that as long as the Ducks keep winning, they should have plenty of time to catch them. Also it looks like Detroit has quite a few games against the Ducks still this season.

I dont see any western teams on your top picks! That is east coast bias again. I know they have won most of the last 10 Stanley Cups but the east coast teams are not that unbeatable.....I think the Stars, Red Wings and Duckas can all play toe to toe with the Rangers, Devils and sens.. (in fact Ducks are in the beginning of a road trip that will take them to New Jersey I cant wait. I think the west champion will win the cup again. There are many talented teams in the west that always come close and this year is no different.

I just realised that. So I'll give you my picks on who I think will make the Stanley Cup Finals for the Western Conference. Red Wings, Ducks, and Canucks. I chose Detroit for a simple reason, they are just dominating, I think they could win it this year. Ducks, well again, I see them going far but not winning it. Canucks, I've always been a fan of theirs, they got elminated early last year, but I hope they can make the finals this year. On a side note, my Leafs are on the three game winning streak. :D

I always wanted to see Toronto-Montreal in first round or second. Those are the only old school matches that intrigue me. I want to see Penguins make it too. They are a talented group with Sidney Crosby running the show. The Ducks own the Wild in the playoffs as we have beaten them twice and we showed that we can play the Canucks when playoff times come. The team that gives us the hardest time is Calgary. I think Kippersoff>Luongo because he gave us a harder time than Luongo in the playoffs.

Heres an updated list of standings:

Eastern Conference
1. Ottawa Senators
2. Philadelphia Flyers
3. Carolina Hurricanes
4. New Jersey Devils
5. Pittsburgh Penguins
6. Montréal Canadiens
7. Boston Bruins
8. New York Islanders

Western Conference
1. Detroit Red Wings
2. Dallas Stars
3. Colorado Avalanche
4. Anaheim Ducks
5. San Jose Sharks
6. Calgary Flames
7. Minnesota Wild
8. Vancouver Canucks

As you can see, Ottawa and Detroit stay on top. The Rangers aren't in the top 8 yet, but are in 9th. They'll catch up soon enough. I happy my Cancucks made it in. The Ducks are doing fine as alwasys. the statistics haven't changed much. Which is really unfortunaet for my Leafs who are playing pittifully, they are in 14th.

All I have to say is the Southeast division is pretty much the crap division of the East right now. Washington is improving, and Carolina is 3rd in the East only cause they lead the division when they would be dropped to 8th should they loose that spot soon. By far the closest battle is the Atlantic Division with Pittsburgh, Philly, and New Jersey all tied up for 1st in that division... Now for the ultimate question of the year... WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SABERS lol

The sabres fell from heaven. They had their chance and they blew it. They are now in the bottom of the rug and it is time for a new team in the East to dominate. Thats what you get when you dont take advantage of your opportunities. I see a Red Wings and Ducks rematch in the near future and Senators and devils in the east. I am calling that right now. As long as we dont face the Stars in the playoffs, I am ceratin we will win it all.

Whatever the case is for the Sabers they need to do something cause that team is awful now. They started the year decent, but over the course of the last 12 or so games I think they have but 1 win... Not good at all. Tonight the Devils are playing the Flyers. Probably the most important game of the season for both teams up to this point. The Devils need to win to get ahead of Philly and the Flyers need to win to show that they can beat the Devils. I don't think they have in 4 games mabey... I'm not complaining but this game is certainly going to be the game of the night I would like to think. Now as far as the Ducks winning it all if they don't face the Stars... Then that is not good enough. The Ducks need to be able to beat any team. Dallas is good yes, but they are not that good. The Devils, Penguins, Blues, Kings and Hell even the Predators have all beaten Dallas this season. I've also noticed that Vancover does not have a loss to the Ducks this year. As far as the Devils go... If they want to get to the finals, the way things look right now they are going to have to get past the Islanders... Which the Devils have not beaten this season.

You see the Ducks have not played the Canucks with both Scott Niedermeyer and Doug Weight as they are right now. The Ducks beat them last season and we can beat them this season. The Stars have been a thorn in our sides. We can beat them but we play them much better at Honda Center than we do at Dallas. The Ducks have a date with the Red Wings tomorrow at Honda Center and I am more than confident that we will be able to beat them since we almost always beat them at home and we enjoy playing them more than we do other teams. We already are 1-1 against them this year so I think wednesday's game will be gold.

Since we're about 1/2 way through the season I figured I'd put up some of my own personal opinions on certain teams...

Biggest surprise (in a good way): Washington Capitals...
It's great to see the Caps as a contender again. For years now they've been pretty much the bottom of the East, but now they sit just 3 points behind Carolina for the Southeast lead.

Biggest surprise (in a bad way): Buffalo Sabers/Tampa Bay Lightning...
First in the league or close to it at this point last year. Buffalo sits in a 3 way tie for 2nd to last in the Eastern Conference. It appears that Tampa's lack of a good goalie has caught up with them finally. I think if they can work out some sort of trade to get a decent goalie while keeping Lecavalier and Saint Lois will help them immensly. Not really sure what if anything canhelp the Sabers who continue to just do terrible.

First in the East: Ottowa Senators...
The Sens always have a good team, and it seems that the same thing happens each year. They do so well in the regular season, but when it comes to the playoffs, they unravel. Also they do not look as impressive as the beginning of the year as the Atlantic division most notibly are closing on them.

First in the West: Detroit Red Wings...
I've said it once,I'll say it again... Detroit would not be this far ahead of the league for that matter if they were facing more Eastern teams. Playing Chicago and St Louis 8 times a year is not saying much. Detroit is a good team, but like the Senators they choke when it gets to be crunch time of the playoffs.

Who I think will have a good 2nd 1/2:Anaheim Ducks/Washington Capitals
Both teams have improved immensly since the start of the season and I think that the two of them will be the teams to watch. I'm not sure if either of them will be able to catch the leaders of they're conferences, but Anaheim and Washington are still improving and will probably continue to down the strech...

Team to watch: Pittsburgh Penguins
Currently leading the Atlantic Division by 1 point. However Sidney Crosby is out of action now for 6-8 weeks which is not a good thing at all for the Pens. It's definatly going to be interesting to see how they play without him for those weeks, and if they can stay in contention with the Devils and Flyers.

Team to watch: Pittsburgh Penguins
Currently leading the Atlantic Division by 1 point. However Sidney Crosby is out of action now for 6-8 weeks which is not a good thing at all for the Pens. It's definatly going to be interesting to see how they play without him for those weeks, and if they can stay in contention with the Devils and Flyers.
I know the Crosby injury is pretty bad, but they are a solid team with or without him, if their youth plays like they did last year. I.E Jordan Staal. They are a better team with Crosby no doubt, but hockey is still a team sport, with solid goaltending, and if they can manage to score some goals, and rack up some points for the next 6-8 weeks they should be fine.. They might not be in first but they could and should still be within striking distance. This is a perfect time to see what Malkin can do when he controls the offense. He is a good player, but maybe with this experience he can come out an even better player.

The Devils killed the Flyers tonight. Finally the PP clicked. 5 PP goals, not bad at all. Philly was made to look like a joke. The stadium was 1/2 empty by mid way through the 3rd. Devils won the game 7-3 and retake the Atlantic Division lead. It's going to be one Hell of a road to see if the Devils can catch the Sens. Personally I think they can. If they really want to they can. Ottowa has lost 3 of it's last 4 and are loosing 2-4 right now against Florida. So yes, I do think that the Devils can catch the sens.

Damn Red Wings! They got us last night in Anaheim. First time that has happened (not counting playoffs) in years. Its okay though. We are much better than we played last night. I think the Ducks will still be able to put a winning mark on this road trip. So far 2-2. I predicted 8-3-1 so hopefully they win 7 of their next 8. That would be nice. It was ironic though that the Red Wings beat us in the same way we beat them with puck deflecting off our stick (like it happened to them last spring) and them capitlaizing with a goal.

I know I for one will be watching the Ducks a few times coming up. Why you ask? They're road trip brings them to Philly, Islanders, Rangers, and Devils. So I'll be definatly watching them and rooting for them in all but one. It looks like a very tough road trip that the Ducks have here. Devils, Flyers, Red Wings, Wild, and Avalanche. All those teams can put up very impressive games, so it'll be interesting to say the least as to how the Ducks do. Not to mention that the team they face when returning home is...Dallas....

I hope they do well. I want to say it is great that this thread is rolling. For like 2 months, this thread was dead and I decided to revive it and you all heeded my call. Good job. I despise all Texas sports teams right now (maybe not so much Mavericks because I like Mark Cuban but nontheless) I hope our trip goes well too because after that its a home stand of like 7 games so that will be good. March 3rd against Ottawa I cant wait! I am going! and March 9th against Montreal. My customer gave me free tickets to that game. Is that amazing? Yes, the stretch to the playoffs will be thrilling.

I found out the other day that I might be going to the next Devils-Rangers game. If I go I'm gunna freak out, but that's besides the point. Tonight the Devils are playing the Canadieans or however u spell it, but it should be a good game. Both teams are doing pretty good, but I think that the Devils should have the upperhand. Depending on how that game goes I may flip back and forth between it and the Flyers/Penguins game. That should be a good one, but at the same time I said that about the Devils-Flyers and that wound up being a blow out.

We are playing the Los Angeles Kings tonight. Should be a win hopefully. At least winter sports are played indoors..lo....its raining here and Californians are not used to rain. We have beaten them 4 of 5 so hopefully win # 5 comes tonight and we end this small losing streak we are on. We cannot afford to lose many games. The Ducks got to keep a consistent track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back