Why can't it happen?

Digging4Plunder

Occasional Pre-Show
Sting vs. the Undertaker - Wrestlemania XXVII in Atlanta, Georgia.

WCW Themed Hall of Fame?

If WWE goes through with this, they can put Sting in there. There's guys in there who didn't do anything for the WWE and there will be more guys in the future.

Can they let him do his own thing?

I think if Vince agreed to just let Sting show up, hype the match with Taker, then leave then we might be on to something. Sting can literally just come in at the Royal Rumble or something and feud until Wrestlemania, then leave. Big paydays for everybody and Sting doesn't tarnish his legacy. He just gives the fans what they want and that's that.

Is he really behind TNA?

Surely Sting can't be a fan of TNA's current creative direction. With them trying to go a bit extreme and have more adult themes/storylines.. it's the exact same thing Sting said he didn't want to be a part of in the WWE. WWE is toned down now, so what's the problem?

Good for both parties?

Sting can get a grand send off in the WWE, there can be a Sting DVD, he gets the Hall of Fame. I'm sure money doesn't matter, but there IS a huge payday involved in this that'll keep him set for the rest of his life after wrestling. What does Vince get? The big match.. a MONEY MAKER....

.. and of course he gets to snicker while whispering .. "Got Sting!".

So yeah, I know it probably won't.. but damn it all.. why can't it happen?

There is no way in a million years that this "dream match" ever happens, and I for one wouldn't want to see it happen at this stage of these guys' careers. A decade ago it would have been awesome, but with either of these guys well past their primes and certainly in decline physically, it would actually be a shame to see it happen now.

For one thing, I am not a big fan of the whole concept of the WCW theme for WM27, and I have been saying this for months. Whether the venue occurs in Atlanta or in Timbuktu is irrelevant to me; the whole concept of honoring the organization that attempted to (and some would say nearly succeeded) put me out of business is assinine. What are they doing, saying a big thank you to Sting, or Bischoff, or whoever they would induct into the Hall, thank you for nearly crippling my empire? I hope the WCW-themed WM27 is nothing more than a IWC-generated rumour which never occurs, and to the best of my knowledge, WWE itself has not publicly mentioned such a theme.

All of that aside, there are fundamental problems with the Sting/Undertaker showdown. What would prompt Sting to finally jump to the major leagues? Money? I can only assume he's financially set for life at this stage of his illustrious career. Fame? He's shunned his nose at this his whole career. He seems to be content in the minor leagues, he's spent his entire career there. An induction into the Hall of Fame? I doubt he cares at all about that, if he did he would have jumped ship to WWE years ago. And if he's the man of principle that he supposedly is, he'd reject the invitation to join WWE and its hallowed Hall of Fame in any capacity anyway.

Who'd emerge victorious in the showdown? I cannot imagine Sting coming to the WWE after all of these years, after supposedly turning down multiple invitations over this time period, only to lose on the grandest stage of them all. And what a slap in the face it would be to the Undertaker, after his infamous streak and his enduring loyalty to McMahon and the WWF/WWE, to have it all end at the hands of one of WWE's harshest critics and most vocal adversaries. So what, a non-decision or something like that? The biggest disaster of all. The only way it could logistically play out would be for Sting to lose the match, and we all know his ego will never allow that to happen.

What would Vince McMahon gain from a Sting coup? A Sting DVD? He can produce one of them now anyway as he owns the rights to WCW. The satisfaction of saying he got Sting after all? I doubt Vince McMahon could give two shits about that. In fact, he would probably get greater pleasure out of saying he has run the most dominant wrestling organization without Sting, and could callously question Sting's contribution to the wrestling world if it all happened outside of the WWE Universe.

Don't forget that Sting is still employed by the "competition." He would have to terminate his association with TNA and come to terms with WWE pretty abruptly to have the machinery up and running for the Royal Rumble (only about 5 months away). There's been nothing to suggest that Sting has a problem with TNA's current direction or that he would be enticed away from the more "adult" TNA style toward the more family-friendly WWE. If he had a problem with TNA, he could have left there a while ago and either come calling upon the WWE, or just retired. No, I imagine Sting will call it a carrer in the obscurity of Orlando, languishing on Spike TV.

Sting had the opportunity when WCW folded to have jumped to the WWE and really cemented his legacy on the big stage against the likes of the Undertaker, HBK, HHH, Cena, Orton, Edge, Punk, etc., but for any of the above reasons it wasn't in the cards. There's nothing to suggest that will change in 2011. And I for one hope it doesn't. Let Sting hang up the boots in the same place he first laced them up, in the minor leagues.

Well, money wouldn't drive Sting. Money would drive Vince to give Sting whatever he wants at this point to get that big match. Why would Sting make the jump now? He's in the twilight of his career. He knows the potential and he can do it on his terms. Taker can have a good match still when asked to, hence the HBK matches. I'm sure Sting could put it all on the line for his last match. I mean, it's a lasting impression and Sting would not want his legacy to be tarnished.

I understand everything you're saying Habs. He really wouldn't make sense for Sting to go and perhaps he should stay in the Minor Leagues.. but damn man, it'd be awesome. Besides the usual arguments of why now, he would never go, etc.. I fail to see why not. All the usual arguments seem minor at this point considering the winding down careers of both individuals. Hell, Sting can hate Vince the whole time he is there.. he could simply do it out of respect for 'Taker and all his fans who've supported him for 20 years.

Well, money wouldn't drive Sting. Money would drive Vince to give Sting whatever he wants at this point to get that big match. Why would Sting make the jump now? He's in the twilight of his career. He knows the potential and he can do it on his terms. Taker can have a good match still when asked to, hence the HBK matches. I'm sure Sting could put it all on the line for his last match. I mean, it's a lasting impression and Sting would not want his legacy to be tarnished.

I understand everything you're saying Habs. He really wouldn't make sense for Sting to go and perhaps he should stay in the Minor Leagues.. but damn man, it'd be awesome. Besides the usual arguments of why now, he would never go, etc.. I fail to see why not. All the usual arguments seem minor at this point considering the winding down careers of both individuals. Hell, Sting can hate Vince the whole time he is there.. he could simply do it out of respect for 'Taker and all his fans who've supported him for 20 years.

Money certainly would not motivate Sting, that's safe to say, but in this instance I doubt it would motivate Vince McMahon much either. That's not to say he isn't motivated by money, I'm quite sure he is and always has been. But WM27 will likely be a huge money maker for Vince and the WWE, with or without Sting. Outside of the IWC, I'm not even fully convinced that Sting/Taker would be that much of a dream match, that much of a cash cow, not anymore. Maybe it would be, but I'm not convinced.

Do you really think that Vince would bring Sting into the company on Sting's terms? That's a little naive if not downright foolish. It will be on Vince's terms or ot won't happen at all, and you can take that to the bank.

You didn't answer my biggest question in your response, that being, who'd win this dream match, and how would it all play out logistically? That's a deal breaker right there, much along the lines of the other dream match that everyone supposedly wanted to see (that being Hogan versus SCSA before Hogan headed south), which could never happen either because neither ego could ever allow the other to go over in the match. Hogan and Stone Cold never happened, it never will, and neither will Taker versus Sting.

You talk about Sting's legacy not being tarnished. I would imagine there's a school of thought out there that would suggest that jumping to the WWE after thumbing his nose at them for years would in and of itself tarnish his legacy, you know, not staying true to his roots, his ideals, and possibly making him look like a sell-out. That's not my sentiment on it, but I bet you there are those out there who would see it that way.

You talk of Sting's respect for Taker, and while that's probably correct, it is an assumption on your part. We know nothing of how these guys feel about each other and what respect, if any, there is between them. And respect for the fans sounds idealistic to me, if Sting cared about that, he'd have spent the last decade in the WWE, treating the fans to a steady diet of dream matches. Plus I'm sure he feels he can show his respect to the fans in the minor leagues for a few more years, as he has done so for the entire duration of his career.

You say why not? There's two relatively long posts for you with numerous reasons why not. The only reason why is an IWC fan's wet dream, and that's not going to be enough to make it happen, sorry to tell you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back