Will Sting accept the hall of fame?

I see absolutely no reason why, if he were available, he wouldn't.

The question I'm asking myself, as many others are, will Vince actually give some kudos to WCW for a change and actually do a WCW theme WWE HOF next year?

To me this is the far more important question.

It's a long way off, and a lot of things can change, but the more I think of it again I can't see any reason why not. There's no reason for Vince or anyone else to bear a grudge against WCW- Vince won. Look at the "Rise and Fall of WCW." If Vince had some ill will still existing towards this entity and the guys it featured Vince could've had his DVD production team make a hatchet job doc that buried WCW. But that's not what happened. Rise and Fall had its flaws, but it came off at least as trying to be fair to the company's legacy for the most part. Plus, form a business standpoint given that he owns the tape library it would behoove his business to perhaps raise interest and awareness of guys like Sting among its younger fanbase (especially once his TNA run is over).

Plus, it's not like location hasn't influenced who was being inducted before. They inducted Verne in Chicago, an old AWA hot bed, The Sheik in Detroit, his hometown and base of operations for BTW, Eddie Graham in Florida, and The Funks and Von Erichs in Texas. (Not so much this year though as Phoenix was never a hot area in the territorial days and the few guys that did make a bit of a name there are virtual unknowns in wrestling history).

So although Vince may be fickle at times I could see him giving a nod WCW's way at this point.

No, a hundred times no.

Sting will never accept the HOF offer.

He never went to WWE in the first place, so why would he accept an HOF invitation from a company he's never worked for (yes, I know, irony, they own WCW, basically he's in one way or another worked for them).

Oh man, I'm going to really show some restraint here because my initial reaction was to tear this "response" to pieces.

First of all, how about a reason why he wouldn't accept seeing as you provide none. That is besides "he never worked for them." Well, if you don't pay attention to the inductions that's your business, but it would be nice if you (and the rest of you that keep regurgitating this inane principle) would read the other posts where people have already pointed out that guys who haven't worked for Vince have already been inducted- it wouldn't be revolutionary. So is your response really that valid?

A hundred times no.

I would also like to point out some other mistakes I've noticed throughout this thread.

Peter Maivia- somebody said he never worked in WWF which is abjectly false. He had several runs through New York and when he did he was one of the hotter mid-card babyfaces. Then later he turned heel and worked with a program with Bob Backlund while he was champ.

Stan Hansen- also worked for the WWF. He had a hot feud with Bruno after kayfabe breaking his neck.

Antonio Inoki- New Japan and WWF had a working relationship throughout the very late 70's/early 80's, one of the results of which was Inoki's phantom WWF title run in '79. As a result of this Inoki wrestled stateside at WWWF cards at MSG competing against guys like Red Bastien and David Schultz (footage of which aired during the the Inoki induction announcement montage, but I guess no one paid attention). In fact upon his first visit to MSG Vincent J. McMahon awarded him the created-just-for-him WWWF Martial Arts Title.

Mad Dog Vachon- Jumped to WWF in 1984 but like fellow AWA alum The Crusher was not on the main roster, per se. He was used more sparingly and primarily to bring in greater numbers at house shows in particular markets (specifically the midwest and Quebec)

I'm not saying these guys made their name in New York, they didn't. Nor am I calling anyone stupid for saying such things because in some cases they're easy to overlook (with the exception of Maivia, which was a huge oversight on the part of whoever posed that). Just saying that some of those guys who have been labeled as having "no ties to WWE" in fact do.

I don't think he should accept the induction but would he? I don't think so, maybe he'll keep away from WWE as somebody already mentioned that he saw what Vince did with the WCW talent, he was aware If the same happens to him. Let's take for example Lance Storm from ECW or Kanyon from WCW, the fact is they weren't used as they were. They had the talent but the problem wasn't in them. A part from that The Stinger was introduced in 2 DVDs I watched by the WWE. The Rise & Fall of WCW and The Greatest Superstars of the 90's. There were said only good things about him but that shouldn't make his mind changed. I think he should stay as he is and miss the induction. Sting should keep his legacy in wrestling as it is. The Icon that never worked for WWF/E and still was a legend and a great one. For finish I'll say that I'm waiting to see him back in TNA not just in the rafters but in the ring with some familiar faces and actually start a storyline. I wouldn't deny a final rematch "The Icon" Sting vs. "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair BUT I said I wont deny that match and that doesn't mean I want to replace a match for opportunity for the young guys. I want to see the X Division used more and not only on Pay-Per-View. Wait, I just got aside from the topic.

-Vic

this is one of the biggest BS comments Sting ever made. WWE buried some WCW talent.....sure. but they buried the talent that sucked anyway

last i checked WWE gave Goldberg a World title run, Steiner headlines a few PPV's and worked with Triple H for a bit. Booker T was given a really decent push or pushes. and lastly, Chris Jericho has turned into one of WWE's top guys

the whole, he didnt want to go to WWE because he thought he would get buried, IMO, holds no water. He didn't want to go to WWE because of their "attitude era" that was still going on. IMO, Sting could have been HUGE in WWE, but hes now past his prime, and im sure even if he was interested now, WWE probably wouldn't be, atleast not for a major program

Don't forget Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, or the Big Show/Giant. All were WCW guys who were treated well in the WWE, so I think it is incorrect to just assume he would get buried in the WWE.

If someone is as good and as over with the fans as Sting was, it would be near impossible to bury him, as the fans will ultimately choose who they cheer and who they don't.

I say Sting stayed away for other reasons, which is certainly his perogative. But the fear of getting buried is just not valid. If it's a morality thing, isn't it inconsistent that he is continuing to shun the PG-rated WWE in favour of the edgier TNA?

Personally I don't think the invite will be forthcoming, the whole "WCW-themed" Hall of Fame at WM27 is just IWC conjecture. But if he does get the invite, he'll turn it down.

thinking about it in hindsight, maybe Sting being inducted in 2 the WWE HOF is a good idea after all, some of U guys made a valid point in regards 2 Sting being recognized by the WWE 4 what he brought 2 wrestling in general, depsite not being a part of the organization.

Yes. Is he wrestling in WWE? No. Then he will accept it. His only problem with the company is that they may bury him if he works there. I doubt that can be done by a HOF induction. If he's given the chance he will. Hell it wouldn't surprise me if Vince makes a Sting DVD to make little profit of it. My question is who would induct him? Another one to ask is if they'll invite while he's still affiliated to TNA.

A lot of people seem to miss a crucial point about the WWE HOF... I don't for one minute believe it is intended to be the Wrestling Hall Of Fame.... It is the Sports Entertainment Hall Of Fame... that is why Pete Rose can be in there, cos he has contributed memorably to Sports Entertainment... guys like Koko met with derision when they were inducted, but Koko was part of at least 3 Wrestlemanias...

Vince coined "Sports Entertainment" and by buying every other company up (who were doing the same thing) he can use whoever from those legacies as part of the whole "Sports Entertainment" history.

In that situation, working for him directly isn't important cos these people helped make Sports Entertainment bigger...

It's like when you're a kid and you had football or baseball cards... when you get the Babe Ruth '29 limited special you will display it proudly like you owned it your whole life, and tell fondly who and how you got it from... Vince owns all the card sets now that made up Sports Entertainment... so now he is showing them off one at a time...

I dont understand why everyone keeps saying he has never wrestled in the WWE... there is no written rule that says that matters.

I think Sting would accept. he really has no reason not to. it obviously would not be until after his TNA deal expires, but he would be a fool not to. At this time the WWE hall of fame is the only professional hall of fame that holds any real weight. I think the NWA may have one.. but im not sure how that works...

can i make a point in saying. On the last night of wcw nitro if i am right sting faced ric one last time well wwe owned wcw on this night so for one night he did work for vince

now that out they way i don't know if he would accept i hope he does because he should be in there it will only be sting stopping himself from going in. i hope sting's ego don't go to him and turn it down sting a great wrestler and one of the best we have seen

I think the bigger question to ask is will he be working for TNA? If he is, there's obviously no chance of Vince inducting him. If he isn't with them by the time Mania rolls around next year, then I don't see why he wouldn't except. Like it's been stated, he doesn't hold any grudge against McMahon, at least that we know of. The WWE has toned down their content a lot in the past couple years, so his personal beliefs shouldn't hold him back. I'm surprised this hasn't got people asking whether or not he'll be wrestling. I don't think he would, but I wouldn't put it past Vince to try. I'd welcome it half heartedly however though, as it would more than likely be only once and at Wrestlemania. His opponent would more than likely be Taker, and I wouldn't want Sting's only WWE match be a loss to Undertaker.

I wouldnt see why not, it would be a big pay day for a little work on stings behalf, but only time will tell.

Sting originally had issues with WWE's edgy product thus the reason he never signed with them prior to signing with TNA, also look into the fact that Sting is on thin ice with the hogan regime (which i think is pathetic seeing that he had family problems) I could see it as being a big classy feather in stings cap and would give the WWE a big name draw for next years Hall of Fame.

The only thing i feel they would need to work out is the schedule but other then that there is no real issue with the WWE and Sting since their depatrure from their rather riske wrestling product that sting shunned previously.

I hope so, but it depends on whether or not Sting leaves TNA. If it does transpire, it would be a great moment to see one of my favourite wrestlers inducted because he damn well deserves it. Ideally Flair would induct him, but again that depends if he leaves TNA or not. I guess it won't happen for a few years yet.

Sting being at the night before Wrestlemania Hall of Fame ceremony for an award? I dont see this happening. If Sting was to do this..many people who say "Look! He's at the WWE HOF, he's under a WWE roof!" and from there start associating Sting with WWE. And if Sting is serious about his vow to never be involved with anything related to WWE then he will not do this.

Why wouldnt TNA have their own version of Hall of Fame anyway? Then Sting would be the first inductee.

If Vince did offer it, Sting would definitely have to be out of TNA. However that is likely to happen this year, so if by chance Vince does actually offer him a spot in the WWE Hall Of Fame, I think Sting will accept. Sting has gone on the record as saying that he would never personally work for the WWE due to their content and edgy programming. However never once has he said he does not like Vince. I believe Sting has the upmost respect for him and his company. That being said, seeing as how Vince is now 'PG' and the WWE has been toned down, I don't see Sting having any issues with Vince now.

So I believe he would accept it as this might be the one time where Vince isn't doing it for the draw, but Vince would be offering it as a true sign of respect and admiration of one of greatest wrestlers to ever grace a ring. He may have only wrestled one match for Vince when he first purchased WCW, but for what he has done to the industry is more than worthy of a Hall Of Fame induction and I believe Vince sees that and I believe Vince thinks that maybe extending the olive branch to Sting would not only show how much he respects him, but it will show us the viewers that Vince does respect those who have never worked for the WWE.

So really why wouldn't Sting accept? It would be a honor for him, at least I think so. Sting has had a magnificent career and deserves a spot in the WWE Hall Of Fame and I think now more than any other time would be all for it as long as his ties to TNA are cut.

Devlin said- The WWE has inducted people in the past that never worked for him (Verne Gagne, Nick Bockwinkel, Peter Maivia & Gordon Solie, among others)

Bockwinkle never wrestled for Vince but he worked for him as an commentater. Maivia was a popular fan favorite and hated heel in the WWWF in the 70s early 80s, challenging Backland for the world title.

Tastycles said- Jesus Christ, if one more person says he didn't work for WWE so he wouldn't go in, I'm going to put my foot through my laptop. Antonio Inoki didn't work for WWE, his inductor Stan Hansen didn't either, and nor did Mad Dog Vachon. That means that of the 7 people announced to be part of this year's show, 3 are not WWE.

Inoki, besides being a former WWF world champ, did work for Vince Sr in the 70s/early 80s. Inoki was the WWF World Martial Arts champion, defending the belt on WWF cards. He defeated Larry Sharpe at the 1980 Showdown at Shea.

Hansen wrestled in the WWWF in the mid 70s. He fueded with Sammartino over the World title. He broke Sammartino's neck. He also wrestled in the very early 80s, challenging Backland for the title. On of their matches is on the Bloodbath cage DVD.

Unless there is some huge rift between Sting and Vince that has not been brought out I can see no obvious reason that Sting would not be inducted into the Hall of Fame. His creditials certainly are good enough and he is probably more deserving then some already in. I agree that the invite will not come until he retires or leaves TNA, but I think he would show.

Working for Vince Sr in the WWWF is not the same as working for Vince Jr in the WWF or WWE. I think you are giving Vince wayyyyyy too much credit when it comes to loyalty. This is a guy who bought his father's company so that he could deliberately do what his father refused to do. In essence, Vince threw his old man under the bus to make the WWF grow. He isn't going to be loyal to some guy who worked for his dad in the 60s or 70s just because they worked for his dad...Vince really isn't that sentimental. He is going to induct people he thinks are deserving, period.

Sting will accept a WWE HOF nomination, but not in the near future. The WWE will wait until he is completely done with wrestling, and most certainly will not offer it while Sting is still employed by TNA. But, 5 years from now? Sure, why not?

Vince will not even give him the option if he is still in TNA. No freakin way. He won't let flair induct him if flair is in TNA. Vince just won't have any of it. But if Sting isn't still in TNA, I think he definatly accept on the basis of it being a WCW themed induction.

I think its only a matter of time and circumstance. Sting will eventually end up in the HoF, whether he ends up working in the WWE or not. WWE's HoF does a pretty good job of also inducting people that never worked for the WWE but still made contributions to the industry. As previously mentioned, it wont happen while Sting is still with TNA. The last thing we need in TNA is another hall of famer with a ring to give away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back