What if Sting signed with the WWE for a year like Goldberg did?

CM Steel

A REAL American
Sting: The wrestling icon to the world. He's wrestled everywhere you can name, except for the WWF/E (and ECW). Sting has said in interviews for years now stating that he "almost signed with the WWE", but would changed his mind in the process. But what if now with the Stingers wrestling days being numbered. Should Sting really sign with the WWE, for atlease a year? Lokk remember when Bill Goldberg signed with the WWE in 2003? He debuted on RAW the night after Wrestlemania 19 before spearing the Rock! But then after Wrestlemania 20 in New York City Goldberg had served his ties with the WWE.

Now what if Sting could go the same route as Goldberg after Sting's contract with TNA Impact Wrestling is expired? He could debut the night after a Wrestlemania on RAW. Win a world championship or two. Win the WWE tag team title's with someone who could use the rub. And be inducted into the WWE hall of fame the night before he wrestles his last match at Wrestlemania the following year! But against whom? Let's take a good look shall we?....

Sting vs The Undertaker
Sting vs John Cena
Sting vs "The Legend Killer" Randy Orton
Sting vs CM Punk
Sting vs Triple H
Sting vs Daniel Bryan
Sting vs Kane

What do you think and feel that Sting needs to do?

I think the obvious choice would be to have Sting vs Taker at Wrestlemania. That is the match most people want to see. I would have little interest in seeing Sting go against Punk, Triple H or Bryan etc.

I would bring him in for 6 months. Debut at Survivor Series as part of a winning team. Then big him up as a potential Rumble winner and have him eliminated unfairly by Kane. Match with Kane at Elimination Chamber and then on to Undertaker at Wrestlemania.

Less is more with Sting at his age. We don't need him rammed down our throats and a large proportion of todays audience wont even know who he is because nobody watches TNA.

i would love to have sting in the wwe but only for 1 match (and i think if he did sign he would only agree to 1 match imo) and that match is of course undertaker vs sting at WM

I'd love, in the process, for Sting to micdrop on CM Punk. It would be one guy who could do it. He could workshoot the hell out of that, with it either leading to a grudge match, or a tag team (depending on how it plays out). All I know is, I'd actually buy the PPV if Sting was on it. Heck, I'd probably go again to WM if he was there.

Sidenote: outdoor venues kind of kill the experience, IMO. Met Life was ho-hum for a lot of things. But I think we've covered that.

I feel that Sting needs to ride off into the sunset and fans need to forget about him in WWE. His best days are clearly behind him and he holds little to no value to WWE. WWE could hype him until they're blue in the face and extoll his accomplishments and virues, but when/if he were to debut in WWE it would be the most underwhelming debut ever.

Because he's an out of shape 50 something who's man tits are so big he has to wear a t-shirt over his wraetling gear. He's barely adequate in the ring any more. His gimmick is dated and getting more pathetic all the time.

In 1999-2002 or so, it would have been awesome to see Sting in WWE. In 2013 it would be sad....

His best days are clearly behind him and he holds little to no value to WWE.

You could be right; it would depend on how long the memories of wrestling fans go back. The problem is that WCW days get further and further away as time goes on, and the folks who considered him a legend back then might not be as excited today.

Balance that against the number of hardcore, old-time fans who would be all over Sting's return to a big time promotion. Are there enough of them to make it worthwhile to take Steve Borden for a year? Who really knows?

Personally, I'd be all over that Sting-Undertaker match some fans have been clamoring for. I'd like to think WWE has some idea of whether there would be enough folks like me before they pay the guy mega-bucks to come aboard. Then again, maybe it's a total crapshoot.

I'm still hoping Sting goes the route of Rob Van Dam. Join the big company, work an abbreviated schedule, make some big money you can take into retirement......and enjoy your WWE Hall of Fame induction.

If people aren't daydreaming of old wrestlers coming to WWE to work matches, they are griping that young blood isn't getting pushed enough. Take your pick IWC.

Personally I like Sting the way I remember him- not for his horrendous Joker cosplay act he puts on in TNA, but for the Crow cosplay he did in WCW at a time that it was cool to rip gimmicks. Back when he still had enough gas in the ring. His best days are behind him now, and as wrestling fans we have to let the prospect of him ever coming to the WWE go.

Remember the hype that Goldberg received when he came to the WWE? Remember how quiet the fans got month after month of seeing him? That's exactly how the fans will be now, but since the target audience is mostly kids and parents, that hype will die down faster.

Personally I was never into Goldberg thought he was an overhyped overrated piece of crap...still do. His entrance was pretty badass though, anywho, Sting however should only appear for the buildup and match for WrestleMania mainly because that's the only match anyone needs to see from him in WWE I wouldn't want to see him versus all the other guys you named in the OP. All we need is Taker's return followed by Sting's music playing and him standing in the rafters to start him out. Then after he loses to UT at WrestleMania that should be it.

To me, a modern day dream match would not necessarily be Undertaker vs. Sting, but rather Sting vs. Shawn Michaels. They are very good friends and Shawn could easily carry Sting in the match. Shawn Michaels is one of the few guys that can help any wrestler have a 4-5 star match. While the masses clammer for Undertaker and Sting on the Grandest Stage of them all, I think a better 'match' would be with Shawn Michaels.

Oh.... can you imagine HBK vs. Sting vs. Undertaker? Yeah, yeah.... way too much dreaming there. :blush:

I feel that Sting needs to ride off into the sunset and fans need to forget about him in WWE. His best days are clearly behind him and he holds little to no value to WWE. WWE could hype him until they're blue in the face and extoll his accomplishments and virues, but when/if he were to debut in WWE it would be the most underwhelming debut ever.

Because he's an out of shape 50 something who's man tits are so big he has to wear a t-shirt over his wraetling gear. He's barely adequate in the ring any more. His gimmick is dated and getting more pathetic all the time.

In 1999-2002 or so, it would have been awesome to see Sting in WWE. In 2013 it would be sad....

agree with some of this its true his prime is long gone and every day it gets a bit less likely we will ever see him wrestle in wwe his age is seriosly against him and age always wins in the end.like many i remember him best as the crow gimmick in wcw i thought it was awesome and probably the main reason i watched wcw tbh.mayby its just best to remember him like that.i also agree that quite a lot of the audience wont know who he is but id be lying if i said i wouldnt enjoy seeing him have a short wwe run mayby a title reign.and i read a report on here not so long ago that wwe where confident sting would join there roster fairly soon and that certainly implies they are still interested but of course like most sting to wwe reports its prob complete bullcrap lol

When Goldberg came to WWE in 2003 he was getting old but was still close enough to being the old Goldberg that people remembered to make it work for the most part (although his last match where he fought Lesnar with Austin as the ref and them all leaving after was a train wreck). Sting as others have pointed out now is so past being a meaningful Sting it wouldn't be looked at as a serious match.

It would have worked much better if Sting had come over in 2003 the same year Goldberg did...

WWE Would benefit so much from this, but really why would sting sign with wwe? if sting never went there in his prime time why would he go now?
sting is great! the only match i would wanna see is sting vs undertaker.
but would this really work? sting is in much better shape than taker. and taker may just slow down the whole match. Sting would be a good gm. but as far as a wrestler i only see sting being that guy who wrestles only once a year maybe twice. sting is good addition to wwe, but the question is does sting wanna go there?

If it was ever going to happen, it would've happened and be finished with already.

I don't know about anyone else, but if Sting was to come to the WWE, I'd prefer some longevity to his storylines, and I'd want him to be a mainstay figure. Picking and choosing a couple of events a year for him to come and wrestle and/or interfere while past his prime just wouldn't do the guy justice, and it's a pretty mean tease for the fans too. I understand why some say they'd be ok if he just did a one-off WM match with The Undertaker, and believe me, I'd be delighted to see it too. But I dunno...just feel like I'd be getting short-changed by watching a match people wanted to see over a decade ago, and longer.

Using The Undertaker purely as an example, WWE fans aren't fickle enough to be too upset about him only coming along every so often now, because they've been treated to prime 'Phenom' for many years already. But is it really fair on both fans and the man himself to bring in Sting for one momentary hurrah and then watch him sail off into the sunset? I think I'd enjoy the scenario/s I can dream up in my head for Sting more than what I'd expect the WWE to create.

i think the only logic behind having sting in wwe at this point would basically be a two fold process. first would have to be a huge induction into the wwe hall of fame would only be fitting for him. second would obviously be a huge build to a sting/taker one off match, plenty of "mind games" being played between the two. have a huge build over time, leading up to a huge reveal of sting. fairly long match between the two, slow paced, old school story telling, not a ton of false finishes, just a hard sell for both of them and the legacy. i think it would be unfair to both of them to have an official V for either one, maybe lead to a draw, leave it hanging in question, the first person to not officially lose to Taker(streak), but to take him to the limit. give them both an amazingly strong finish, leave them both with each others respect. a few weeks down the road have a moment in the ring where they show each other mutual respect. give sting a little bit of down time(undertaker like schedule), drop in a Sting vs. Bray Wyatt(the rub), I think this would almost be a perfect setup for Bray Wyatt/Wyatt family. over time i think this would be huge for bray wyatts career, and maybe give him the rub needed to establish him as main event caliber as well as giving him the same rub sting received from flair.

I could see him come to the WWE like goldberg. But when 1st appears I would like to see him do like he did against the NWO in his crow paint up in the rafters. Against the corperation or the Wyats to help put them over. But win a title or 2 and end at WM30 against the Taker.

People always assume that just because Sting has never worked for WWE, that means he'll automatically want to go there once his TNA contract expires. Or that working for WWE is what makes you a HOF'er. Which is not true. Sting has an impressive body of working ranging from the NWA to WCW and now his work in TNA. He has had a long illustrious career that would be worthy of a Hall-of-Fame in any organization regardless of whether that's TNA or WWE. Sting has mentioned on many occasions in various interviews that he was not pleased with seeing how WWE misused or ignored different WCW talents after WWE bought them out and would not go because he feared the same thing with himself. This is the classic "what if" scenario that is mostly just for old school fans to ponder what possible matches would be worth having if Sting did go to WWE. I'd say his top matches currently would have to be with Taker, Punk, Orton, and Cena. All of those are very high profile matches that would be fitting of a legend like Sting. But again, I question whether Sting will even be around long enough for a such a scenario to even be possible. He has said each year will be his last and each year his in-ring work gets worse as far as quality goes. I believe Sting could show up at a WrestleMania anytime he wanted and make a difference, no doubt. It all comes down really to WWE's desire to bring him in and if Sting wants to end his career there. If both sides are too stubborn to budge, it is very likely his career will end in TNA.

Sting should be inducted into the WWE hall of fame, but sorry Lex, you can watch from the cheap seats. That's the only time he should appear on WWE programming because it is the only moment of dignity and respect he would ever be offered. Any match against a Taker or even Kane he would get buried.....ALIVE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back