Who will match Edge's record of being the most decorated superstar in history?

rge2010

Mid-Card Championship Winner
We all know WWE is pre determined, but for me there is only one man who can claim to have 'done it all'. Some will say Cena, some will say Orton, some will say Triple H.

But Edge is the only superstar who can lay claim to have 'done it all'.

WWE/World Champion - 11 times
IC Champion - 5 times
US Champion - 1 time
Tag Champion - 14 times
Money In The Bank - 2005 & 2007
Royal Rumble - 2010

When Edge was retired, there really was nothing else he could achieve. He even won a KOTR which is now defunct so I didnt include. Who do you see having a decorated career like Edge with multiple accolades and titles?

John Cena will likely go down as the most decorated superstar in WWE history, and will almost certainly break Ric Flair's record of the most World Title reigns in history. Edge's World title reigns rarely lasted that long, and the majority of his Tag Team title reigns came in the Attitude Era where the belts changed hands every month or so, increasing his number of reigns quickly, but keeping the amount of time spent as champion relatively low.

As far as I am aware, Cena is a 14x WWE/World Champion, a 3x US Champion, a 4x Tag Team Champion, a 1x MITB winner and a 2x Royal Rumble winner. He isn't going to get multiple mid-card title reigns to add to his resume, and is unlikely to have many more tag-title reigns, but his World Title reigns far outweigh Edge's due to the amount of time spent as Champion.

I agree, Edge did it all in the WWE and has an astonishing resume of accomplishments, but Cena has done it all as well...and add to that being THE face of the company for the last decade, and headlining Wrestlemania on 5 occasions (which is likely to increase)...I'd say his achievements are greater than Edge's.

I agree with the fact that Edge is truly a decorated Superstar. John Cena is more top heavy, but Edge is a great overall star. His every single reign mattered. His tag title reigns with Christian, Rey Mysterio and Randy Orton were amazing. His runs in the mid-card were important and he was a true main eventer when he became the World Champion. But, haven't Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels did the same thing long before Edge even appeared on the scene? Tag teams, mid-card and then the main event.

In modern times - I can't think of anyone else - may be Jeff Hardy, Christian but they are far below the ranks when it comes to World Championship. Chris Jericho is also a decorated star so to speak but he wasn't such a great world champion. May be The Miz can achieve that long term? He was a good tag champion and a great US champion. I did like his WWE title reign but since then he has dropped in importance.

Edge isn't the most decorated Superstar in history. I can think of a few who have earned more than him. For starters, John Cena:

-14 time World Heavyweight/WWE Champion (11 time WWE, 3 time World HW)
-3 time U.S. Champion
-4 time World/WWE Tag Team Champion (2 time World, 2 time WWE)
-Money in the Bank 2012 (Edge only technically won it once too. The other time he "won" it from an injured Mr. Kennedy)
-Two time Royal Rumble winner (2008, 2013)

I know Edge has more mid card titles than Cena, but in this day and age, World Championships are what matters most. The fact Cena has 14 and other important things on his resumé automatically makes him a more decorated Champion than Edge.

The other more decorate Champion is Triple H:

-13 time World Heavyweight/WWE Champion (8 time WWF/E, 5 time World HW)
-5 time WWF/E IC Champion
-2 time European Champion
-3 time World HW/WWFE Tag Champion (2 time World, 1 time WWE)
-King Of the Ring 1997 (which I believe still counts for something)
-Royal Rumble 2002

Triple H is also a Grand Slam Champion, although not recognized, it's something Edge cannot lay claim to.

Past those two, I'm hard pressed to argue anyone else being a more decorated WWE Superstar than Edge.

In terms of Superstars who are equal to Edge, I'd say Randy Orton and Chris Jericho are up there. Edge has a lot more mid card titles than Randy, and more World Championships than Chris.

In conclusion, I suppose you can argue Edge is the most decorated Superstar. However, it's worth looking into John Cena and Triple H's respective records before you believe it's a fact.

Easy. Nobody.

When you say "most decorated," it usually means number of titles won. Winning gimmick matches that give you AN OPPORTUNITY for a title match shouldn't count. What will put Edge over the top is a right place/right time situation. Tag titles. Nobody will ever come close to that number again. Edge and Christian were part of arguably the greatest tag team wrestling era of all time. Add that to the fact that he was also part of the era when there were two sets of tag titles, it's going to be impossible to achieve. They don't just throw those titles around anymore.

Now that they're going to unify the IC/US title, that will make it that much harder on anyone trying to come close to Edge's number. But it will never happen again.

I really do like Edge's career path. Someone that started as a tag-team wrestler; got over and reached the top. We could debate where he would be if Rock, Austin and Lesnar never left but I think he would still have at least won a World Title.

Triple H has pretty much done it all except from MITB. He did his time in the mid-card and, of course, at the very top. I suppose he never really had a stint as a tag-team wrestler but, even then, he is a two time champ. Kurt Angle was a Grand-Slam champ in the WWE and Triple Crown in TNA. He also won the King of the Ring in 2000. That is pretty impressive. Chris Jericho has won every he could in the WWE including being the first Undisputed WWE Champion. Moreover, he won Cruiserweight titles in WCW. I suppose, like Angle, he lacks a Royal Rumble win.

As for the current roster: John Cena is the obvious name. He is set to break Ric Flair's official record of World Title wins as well as having won the US and Tag team titles. Moreover, he has won two Royal Rumbles. There is also Punk who ticks all the boxes including two MITB wins. Daniel Bryan has also achieved a lot and will continue this. World Titles and possibly a Royal Rumble win are in his future.

The thing I like about Edge, Michaels and even Jeff Hardy is that when they won the tag-titles: they were legitimate tag-team wrestlers. All in tag-teams that many loved watching. After they conquered the tag-team division they moved on and reached incredible heights. With Cena, HHH and Angle their tag-team title wins don't feel as pure.

I will say this; I think Cody Rhodes has immense potential. He won't surpass Edge - that is obvious. Cody has, however, already proven himself to be a great tag-team wrestler in various teams: Goldust, Holly, McIntyre, Dibiase. His Intercontinental Title reign was of a very high quality and I think he can win many World Titles. He might not get 11 like Edge but I'd say 4+ is a possibility.

I don't think anyone can match Edge for his accomplishments as a singles superstar and a tag-team wrestler. Some come very close but numbers don't lie. Edge had an incredible career and while I don't think he is as good as the others that doesn't really matter. He didn't win the European or Hardcore Titles but I won't hold that against him. 11 time World Champion and 14 tag-titles. A Royal Rumble, two Money in the banks; King of the Ring's and 5 Intercontinental Titles. Simply awesome achievements.

Beware, controversial opinion...

Edge is definitely going to go down for highest accomplishments to overall importance ratio. Someone looking at his list of championships and accomplishments would most likely say "man, this guy is right up there with Austin, Rock, Cena, HHH, Bret, HBK, Undertaker" and they would, of course, be wrong. Edge was never as important as those guys, he was never the top guy, he was briefly the top heel.

Don't get me wrong. I like him, he is one of the greatest tag team wrestlers of all time, and a great singles guy too... just not as great as his list of accolades would have you believe.

If by most decorated you mean titles won, then the most decorated would actually be either the Dudley Boys or LOD. Each with 25+ tag title wins, and each member the odd individual title here and there. Edge was most known for wrestling in WWE and didn't really make and impact anywhere but wwe. Now some might say that is good, others bad, but to just ignore the huge following and that people like LOD and Dudleys had in other companies around the world is ridiculous. It would also mean that you would have to discount any other non WWE wrestler or titles that were won when wrestlers were working for ANY other company but wwe. So that would mean that Flair's 16x world champ would only be what, 2 or 3 titles in his short stints in wwe? similar outlooks and downgrades in title counts for guys like Hogan and Christian. So if you count those titles, you have to include the ones in major foreign companies like New Japan and IWPG.

Jerry Lawler is the most decorated superstar in history not anyone else, with over 150 titles across countless promotions.

I don't think it'll be a record that's going to be broken anytime soon because Triple H looks to have done away with hot potato title runs.

For instance, from January 2000 to February 2010, there were 45 different WWE Championship reigns with only 14 of those runs lasting 100 days or more. Since November 2011, there've been 7 WWE Championship runs, which I think would have been considerably less had WWE not dragged out the Daniel Bryan vs. Orton feud. But, all the same, WWE has generally booked the WWE Championship differently than they have, overall, since before the Attitude Era. WWE has either followed suit or has begun following suit with their other titles.

There've only been 5 US champs in the past 2 years with 3 of those runs have been 150days or longer.

The last 6 WWE Tag Team Championship reigns have all been in the triple digits, or I guess it'll be 6 if Cody & Goldie remain champs four more days.

The last 4 WWE Divas Championship runs have all been in triple digits, though none of those runs have really mattered very much with the exception of AJ. I think she'll be the champ that will have kicked off a new level of relevance for the title.

As far as the IC title goes, I think that WWE will be kicking off this different strategy beginning with Big E. Langston's reign, sort of like how they're doing with AJ, which I'm thinking will last until WrestleMania, at least.

While we might not always get the wrestler we personally want as champ, which is how it goes with every title situation as far as that, I prefer champs having longer runs instead of trading the title once every 4 to 6 weeks. As a result of this change in booking titles, there simply aren't going to be as many different runs as long as they keep with it.

I think Edge's record of being the most decorated star in WWE history is safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back