• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When did Edge's beacon begin to shine?

Spunky

Lovable degenerate.
We all know about "The rated R superstar",Edge. We know all about his tactics of using people to get wants, Cheating, And playing people to to win, And toll up his title count.

I want to know(for you), When did you think started showing his potential to be the record holding 12 time tag team Champion, And the nine-time World Champion (having won the WWE Championship four times and the World Heavyweight Championship five times), 2001 King of the Ring, and the 2005 MR. Money in the Bank?

I first noticed him when he was in one of the best tag teams, To grace our era of wrestling, In E&C. I started watching wrestling regularly in late 1999 to early 2000. At the time, The main event was filled was the likes of The Rock, Triple H, Mick Foley(closing in on retirement), Big Show, And the era of factions was fading out. Yet it was the tag team division that was keeping me coming back, Not just for E&C, But for the Hardy's, And the Dudley's. It was round about the time they had their TLC, Table, And ladder matches. I was in awe.

When I noticed he was destined for the top was a little before Edge was drafted to the SmackDown! brand in the first WWE Draft Lottery. As soon as he join the SmackDown! he began a feud against Kurt Angle, which ended in Edge shaving Kurt's head following a hair vs. hair match at Judgment Day. It was Edge who coined the "You suck" chants for Kurt Angle, After Edge had been playing jokes on Angle for a while with pictures, That had punchlines on the back of them.

Beofre this time, He had gained alot of momentum When he won the King of the Ring tournament in 2001, And fueding with Christian after he turned on Edge because Christian was jealous over Edge's KOTR title, and the two went on to feud over Edge's Intercontinental Championship, That Edge won the month before at SummerSlam. Edge also unified the U.S title, With the IC during the Invasion angle.

So when did you see Edge as a future main eventer, Or (in some cases) why do you think Edge shouldn't be in the position he holds today.

For me, the night when he returned to Raw and speared Bischoff. He'd been off TV for quite a while and frankly I had forgotten he existed. Him being drafted was a big shock, and a good way to get the ball rolling with him again. But when he came out and speared Bischoff, he made a huge impact. That return gave him alot of momentum, which slowly but surely built up until MITB, where he of course won the case. From there, he was built up slowly still, until he exploded into the main event at NYR. Basically, i think you can trace it all back to the spear on Bischoff. That was the return he needed to get him fresh in the fans mind, and it was the catalyst of a huge push 2 or 3 years later.

I watched wrestling from 99-2002 and then restarted in 2007 when Edge cashed in against Undertaker.

I have to admit, when I heard about Edge being a champion I was perplexed. I couldn't believe he was a main event player. I mean, sure he had some great matches with Kurt Angle, but I never thought he would be a world champion, especially as a heel. I thought at that point I would have to do some research into what I had missed.

The defining moment had to be WrestleMania 22 where him and Foley tore down the house at WrestleMania. Sure, Edge had had a title run by that point but it was made to look a fluke reign. The match with Foley was unbelievable, and was my MotN from that event. From there his stock grew and he turned into the number one heel we have before us today.

Does anyone remember his debut? I used to watch Shotgun Saturday Night as a kid(no cable) and I think thats where he started out. He was a quiet loner who entered and exited through the crowd. I was a huge fan as a kid. I didn't really believe him as a main event player until the MITB match and build up. He became intense and really stepped his game up. He became obsessed with the championship and when he won it, I knew he was destined for greatness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back