What is your favorite TV show theme?

"Cool Guy" Jensen

Undertaker for Champ!
So, it's about 1:45 AM, and for some reason, I think of this thread topic. I'm not sure if it's ever been done before, but if it has... I'm sorry.

So, I want to know what is your favorite TV show theme. TV shows have been around for decades and decades and decades. Some songs have been horrible, while some, I'm sure you can say is one of your favorites. What are some of your favorite TV show theme songs.

I have a number of different TV show themes, but I'm just going to name a few.

Still Standing: I actually started to watch Still Standing after it was cancelled and I immediately got hooked. The theme song is a bit short, but it's great. It's called, ''You Make Me Happy'' performed by Will Hoge, if anyone is wondering.

California Dreams: I just fell in love with the show and the theme in my childhood days. It was just beautiful. Any time I hear it, it makes me wish that I lived in California. It's called ''California Dreamin''.

All In The Family: I'm a bit young to know much about ''All In The Family''. I was born in 1993, and it aired from 1971-1979. But, despite that, I think the theme is great. The theme is called, ''Those Were The Days''. On the show, it was performed by the main characters, Archie and Edith Bunker, played by Carroll O'Connor and Jean Stapleton, but it was written by Lee Adams and the music is from Charles Strouse.

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air: The main star, Will Smith raps the lyrics of the theme to help explain his character, which is part of his real-life. I feel that Will Smith really put a lot of effort into the lyrics, so that it gave you more of a glimpse of what kind of person he is/was.

Some notable mentions...
King of Queens
Friends
Malcolm in the Middle
Just Jordan
Sister, Sister
Frasier

So, I want to know, what are some of your favorite TV show themes. Be sure to explain why and if not too much trouble, I would also like to know the title of the song and who performs it... Thanks!

For me, it has to be Scrubs.

Now I'm a huge Scrubs fan, so probably biased here but i'll explain why I think it's the perfect theme for the show.

Scrubs theme song is 'Superman' by Lazlo Bane

Opening sequence;
[youtube]bhh7qzurMZY[/youtube]

Whole song;
[youtube]tMV8L8Jl-cw[/youtube]

This song fits scrubs perfectly, Chad Fischer's voice, fits the opening sequence very well and is always easy to listen to. The song's lyrics are also very good for the show as it shows the characters fallibility, the obvious "I'm no Superman" suggests that the doctors are human, do make mistakes and do have downfalls. The song itself was chosen by the star of the show Zach Braff, and I think it is the perfect choice for Scrubs, as it is easy to listen to, easy to remember and identify, and it also helps further the idea that the doctors do make mistakes.

It is, without a single doubt in my mind, The Wonder Years theme song. It's Joe Cocker's rendition of The Beatles "With a Little Help from My Friends", and it is truly fucking fantastic.

First of all, the song is great all by itself, not just as a theme song. But as a theme song, there's not a show it could have fit more perfectly with than The Wonder Years.

Seriously, what can beat that? I'll tell you what... nothing, that's what.​

Reactions: X
With Just Jordan as one of your noteable mentions, I was surprised that the Kenan & Kel theme didn't mke the list. I was born three years before you were and I don't know if that made a difference but that, IMO, sould be up there with The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. This was the theme for all of my friends and me when we were younger:

Kenan & Kel Theme song by Coolio
[youtube]39Tds8nMkks&feature=related[/youtube]

Now onto my favorite themes. Basically the shows I liked the most had my favorite theme songs except The Game, Robot Chicken, and George Lopez

Top themes:

Number 5: Boondocks Theme by Asheru
[youtube]_O9U6BkMVgE[/youtube]
This song had the right beat, great lyrics, and it's an all around great show.

Number 4: The Cosby Show
[youtube]ZHC-YsXYTsg&feature=related[/youtube]
Everytime I hear this theme song, I know I'm in for a great show. I'll usually stop what I'm doing at the moment and watch long enough to at least figure out what episode it is.

Number 3: Kenan & Kel theme by Coolio
As stated above

Number 2: Smart Guy (Season 2) by Omar Gooding and ???
[youtube]qai7mf2XOXM&feature=related[/youtube]
Just like Boondocks, it had the positive lyrics, a laid back beat to it and it is one of my top three shows in my 18 year lifetime. Also Omar's rap at the end was great

Number 1: Fresh Prince of Bel Air by Will Smith
[youtube]PmX65YTwA1Q&feature=PlayList&p=C707BCFFA1A85551&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=16[/youtube]
Basically for the same reasons that you listed

seriously how do you guys not have this one yet? i mean what is more of an American T.V show then THE FAMILY GUY. Come on a guy's , why didnt anyone get this soon? The Family guy song is more popular then the simpsons song and look how long the simpsons song has been around. Great song for the family guy and shows the american way of the family guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IJTO1_hfwE

Scrubs is up there for sure.
I like Fresh Prince as well, that used to be so much fun to sing along with when I was younger. I always loved the epic Stargate SG-1 start as well, always got me keen for the episode. Another one has to be X-Files, used to scare the shit out of me when I heard that theme music late at night. Simpsons and South Park will always be great.

I also love the Mighty Boosh and Flight of the Conchords themes, they're great as well.

It is, without a single doubt in my mind, The Wonder Years theme song. It's Joe Cocker's rendition of The Beatles "With a Little Help from My Friends", and it is truly fucking fantastic.

First of all, the song is great all by itself, not just as a theme song. But as a theme song, there's not a show it could have fit more perfectly with than The Wonder Years.

Seriously, what can beat that? I'll tell you what... nothing, that's what.​

This is why I love you so much! The Wonder Years!! Are you kidding me? My all time favorite show. As a kid, I never missed an episode and I drop everything to this day when I come across a re-run. What a great theme song. I love it. It gets tuck in my head everytime I hear it. In fact, now that I'm talking about it, I will probably be humming the day for the rest of the day. :)

Reactions: X
In addition to the ones previously mentioned (Keenan and Kel, Fresh Prince, Scrubs), I'm quite suprised a number of people haven't mentioned it, but Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel have some absolute kickass themes. Just love the rhythm and beat.

Sorry for the fan made opening, no-one has posted the real version up, or at least with the right theme!
[youtube]/v/ahXcWTJTy1w&hl=en&fs=1&[/youtube]

[youtube]/v/fVtYdWLp5bU&hl=en&fs=1&[/youtube]

Now here's some I'm digging into my childhood favs.

Starting with BUCKY O'HARE!!!!!!
[youtube]/v/k6Mh7hhaqhk&hl=en&fs=1&[/youtube]

Thunderbirds (I'm old skool). This one was THE theme of my childhood, you cannot get that addictive drum beat and sound of trombones out of your head when hearing this. One of the reasons this was my favourite was because of the music.
[youtube]/v/9RzCB3VRruE&hl=en&fs=1&"[/youtube]

Final two for this post.

Big shout has to go with one of themes of our generation (1980s/90s kids). Saved by the Bell. If you hear this, you knew you grew up in a grew up in the right time, such a great beat and rhythm to it.

[youtube]/v/kHKvruzbWl4&hl=en&fs=1&[/youtube]

Final one has to be the MIGHTY MORPHIN' POWER RANGERS. Now this quite possibly the best theme for a childhood tv show. I mean that repeating guitar piece, the simple one line that repeats to get you into it. This was feel good opening because you knew the power rangers were on and you expect a great ass whooping when you hear it!

[youtube]/v/uphQXA50cQQ&hl=en&fs=1&[/youtube]

Also, special shout to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :p

I like Papa Roach's "to be loved".

You guys might know it as being the intro to the show that we all basically watch. WWE Raw. I dunno, I think it sort of gets gets you amped up enough to set up the show effectively. Raw is supposed to be quite dynamic and exciting, I think that "To be Loved" does this very well and it basically got me into Papa Roach. I think some of their stuff is quite good and they are worth a listen.

[youtube]aM6NF-PYL7o[/youtube]

Great thread idea, sorry it's taken me forever to get around to it. I've been jamming out to alot of 90s TV themes lately, and here are a few of my favorites.

The Adventures of Pete & Pete
[youtube]XnqeeBdGhh4[/youtube]

Probably my all time favorite TV show theme, to one of my all time favorite shows and one of the most underrated. Pete & Pete was just one of those weird but amazing shows that was canceled far before it's time, very similar to Twin Peaks. Pete & Pete is one of those shows like My So Called Life that perfectly captured that feeling of teenage angst in the 90s. Just hearing that theme song and it's amazing intro package sends chills up my spine, and instantly brings my back to the mid 90s. I love the video package as well, little Pete sticking his tongue out the car window, and the way Big Pete just looks up at the camera like your typical 90s teen with that long of inner turmoil. Great, great song and definitely my favorite theme ever.

Kenan & Kel
[youtube]tWGp6-qyRh8[/youtube]

I saw this one was mentioned earlier, and it's another one of my favorites. Any time I hear it I end up singing the song in my head all day. The beat is pure 90s G-Funk and actually made someone like Coolio look, well, cool. Great show that I used to love as a kid and have grown to love even more over the years when I came to the realization that Kenan's father was played by Ken Foree, motherfucking horror icon! I laughed so hard when I first realized that Kenan's dad was god damn Peter Washington from Dawn of the Dead, simply awesome.

The Wonder Years
[youtube]-CZRudxD-NQ[/youtube]

Me and JMT are the two resident Wonder Years nerds here, and for good reason. Growing up on this show provided so many memories for me as a kid. It was one of those very rare shows that treated the teenage experience realistically and not stereotypically upbeat like shows like Saved By the Bell would. Even for someone born long after the 60s, watching this show makes you long for that period, a time you've never even experienced. The theme song by Joe Cocker is one of the most famous of all time, and was already a well-established classic rock song before the show was ever put into production. Gotta love the Wonder Years, and if you don't...GTFO.

I'm sure there are more, but I just wanted to get those three off my chest. Especially Pete & Pete, fuck that song will be in my head for the next month now. GOD I love that song.​

Family Ties

[youtube]iliLnQmaEOA[/youtube]​

This is one of my all time favorite TV shows and one of my favorite themes. This is from the first couple of seasons of the show. Sha la la la.

Punky Brewster

[youtube]hKGX8GZ3BV0[/youtube]​

This brings back memories. I discovered this show on the old Family Channel. The dog's named Brandon, which is my real name. That, and the stories on this short lived show, make this theme kick ass. And I just found an episode where Zack Morris guest stars with Punky. :worship:

here's a good one for you...

Just the Ten of Us

[youtube]deHQ4D-xWoo[/youtube]

A show about a coach of a high school basketball team...and a show that could have made it, but had too many cast members. Other than that, well written show and also was on the 9:30 pm slot during ABC's TGIF.

Here are some I really enjoyed. Some are just great, while the others just stuck out for me as a child, and I have no idea why, when I look at the list. These are all anime openings; that's pretty much all I watched as a wee Canadian lad.

I Ran - Bowling for Soup (Flock of Seagulls cover)
This was for the American Saint Seiya anime, also known as Knights of the Zodiac. It's a very catchy song, but I love the FoS original even more.
[youtube]juVzPclELG8[/youtube]

Gotta' Catch'em All & Johto Journeys & Hero - Pokemon Themes
Not as big as a fan of the anime as I am of the games. But, the movies were fantastic. Who doesn't love these songs, though?
[youtube]wAn6So9tURU[/youtube]
[youtube]rw1jU2LzkTw[/youtube]
[youtube]Y49DzaK_SrA[/youtube]

And, finally, my favourite.
Card Captors - Card Captor Sakura
I loved this song, and I still do. I'm not afraid to admit it, even around my judgemental friends, just cause it's so great, and catchy. I love you, Card Captors. Great anime.
[youtube]JyLeItjwAhw[/youtube]

Its got to be southpark. Just the guy who sings its voice argh lol:)

[youtube]R9X5LRa8eSw[/youtube].

I love this song becuase i think it just goes with the story,its all over the place.

Dragonball And I'm talking about the original show, which is much better than Dragonball Z. Anyway, it has the best theme song I've ever heard, and I can recite it on the spot. If it doesn't oversaturate your heart with warm happiness, then you must be one crusty motherfucker.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mkrbIzKr-j0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mkrbIzKr-j0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

DragonBall GT
[youtube]xB2oBkj1UYw[/youtube]
I love how they can add rap to my favorite anime of all and make it 10x better.
One reason why Dragon Ball GT was utter shit, horrible themes in place over the Japanese ones.

One of my favorite openings also comes from the Dragon Ball universe.
[youtube]guUewr85ByU[/youtube]
Couldn't explain to you what it is, but I enjoy all Japanese intros over the english ones.

I have a couple,

1. The Office
It is classic, no words, just a piano with a drum in the background.

Malcolm In the Middle

I am pretty sure that They Might Be Giants does it, but I am not sure.

The Simpsons

Mostly because of the show during the theme, especially with Bart writing on the chalkboard.

George Lopez

Even though it is a real song by War before it was the George Lopez theme, it still is great.

And thats about it.

Scrubs without a doubt. The guy who posted it originally nailed it right on the head. The actor, Zach Braff actually suggested the song. The band, Lazlo Bane does the song very well. They used an extended version for the beginning of Season 2. The song fits the show perfectly in every way, it's catchy, and damn skippy after you hear it it's gonna be stuck in ya head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back