Best Sitcom theme song ever?

It's...Baylariat!

Team Finnley Baylor
Recently, a website (maybe Yahoo!) had a bracket for the greatest television sitcom theme song of all time. Gilligan's Island ended up winning, which is a travesty, IMO. I can think of plenty of songs better than Gilligan's Island. Golden Girls, Cheers, Seinfeld, Three's Company, Fraiser, Full House, Taxi, Andy Griffith Show, Friends, and Mary Tyler Moore's theme song for starters.

But there are many more to choose from. Which one's your favorite. If you can, post a video of said theme song and a post as to why you're fond of it. Commence to jigglin'!

Never watched Cheers but I always felt the theme was the best for sitcoms. Relaxing and ironic.

I'm a big fan of Friends and love the theme too but Cheers does it for me.

One of my favorites is the theme from season 1 of Boy Meets World.

[YOUTUBE]RmhfZjWwECg[/YOUTUBE]

I really wish they had kept that through more seasons. It made sense for them to change up the intro by the time they got to college, but this was the best theme song the show had (probably all time favorite other than Cheers which has already been mentioned) and at the very least it should have been kept through the second and third seasons. Incredibly cheesy by today's standards, however I still love it due to nostalgia. It fit the show very well and was quite catchy.

Gilligan's Island was a solid choice, but like the OP said there's so many. For me I'd say Sanford & Son, the Jeffersons, Diff'rent Strokes, WKRP in Cincinnati, both Newhart shows, Perfect Strangers, Family Matters, Head of the Class, Step by Step, all three versions of Hangin with Mr. Cooper. But I think my overall favorite is seasons 4 & 5 of Three's Company.

[YOUTUBE]hBe0VCso0qs[/YOUTUBE]

I guess you can call this the full version of The Fresh-Prince intro, because in the later years of the show, they cut out the parts with Will's mom packing his suitcase, and the stuff on the plane.

I still watch reruns of Fresh Prince, I loved this show as a kid, and Fresh Prince is probably my favorite sitcom ever. The intro is catchy and funny, and over the years, I memorized the entire song word for word.

It's The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air for me also. The lyrics are catchy and the beat is awesome. I too have memorized the entire song word for word and sometimes sing it to myself. Same with Kenan & Kel.

Friends is my third top favourite after the two I mentioned above. My baby niece also loves the theme, I see her dance to the intro sometimes when it plays, it puts a huge smile on my face.

My other favourites are Different Strokes, Cheers, Happy Days, Seinfeld, Frasier, 3rd Rock From The Sun, Saved By The Bell, and probably a few more that I can't remember right now.

And from British Sitcoms - Only Fools & Horses, Father Ted, Red Dwarf, Green Wing, The Office, Desmond, The IT Crowd (though I hate the show), and Max & Paddy's Road To Nowhere (I used to sing the theme in school with my friends all the time when it still came on).

I will have to be the third in a row to say the Fresh Prince. When we were in fourth grade me and two of my friends would go on the playground singing it to all the girls. Definitely the first one that popped in my mind when I saw the title of the thread. Cheers is up there too along with The Golden Girls.

MASH, The Greatest American Hero, Family Guy, South Park, Cheers, The Jeffersons, Sanford and Son, Taxi, Hawaii 5-0 (the original), Cops, Big Bang Theory, Twilight Zone. I could do this all night.

Sanford and Son, DAT THEME

Man that song is just so epic for some reason, and playable on many weird things and catchy. Makes me MARK OUT!

Happy Days also, and Charles in Charge was pretty catchy.

The thing is, when I wake up in the morning the alarm gives out a warning I don't I'll ever make it on time :/

I can't think of any more sit coms greats. Cheers to me will always be the best. That song is timeless and fits the idea of having a regular bar to head to and feel at home.

Not a sit com but I'll throw in The Fall Guy for shits and giggles. An original song that was catchy and simply told the story of what a stuntman does and what actors can't. Also some classic name drops in it. I used to occassionally stay up a little late at nights just to hear it but I never actually watched an episode of the show.

So many possibilities. In additions to some of my favorites mentioned in this thread (Cheers, Andy Griffith, Married With Children and Gilligan's Island), I'll also throw the following out there:

But, after Cheers, my vote would probably go to this one (only mentioned once):

I'll throw in Small Wonder and Mr. Belvedere. And GSB took me back with the Fall Guy.

Psych count? If so I would choose that, Twilight Zone would be a close second.

Psych wins me over because its the same, but its different at the same time. One week it will be in French and the other English. Plus its catchy.

The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show (I know it's not a sitcom, but was a big part of my childhood)

[YOUTUBE]Oy8dVZ5r_kU[/YOUTUBE]

So were these shows

[YOUTUBE]CKNdLIDRK_8[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]FiZaqhuL6nU[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]VYKdayl7BHM[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]kYvNiKwWvhk[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]8hZRWhlW_do[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]vTjd-eSWq-E[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]Uvx-6OOAz8k[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]YjpCU4Zy9Cs[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]1Toy908nFPs[/YOUTUBE]

I forgot about this one until just yesterday, The Wayans Bros' 1st theme Electrical Relaxtion by A Tribe Called Quest. I wasn't really a fan of the show and it's not a great like the other sitcoms mentioned in this thread, but Electrical Relaxtion is a classic song. They changed the theme in the 3rd season to a 4-second hip hop beat, and then changed it again in the 4th & 5th seasons to a regular hip hop instrumental beat, which was alright but still wasn't better than Electrical Relaxtion.

I would have to go with fresh prince especially being from Philly area I have to play the homer role but I also love boy meets world theme songs from all the seasons but of course that show is based out of Philly also

I forgot about this one until just yesterday, The Wayans Bros' 1st theme Electrical Relaxtion by A Tribe Called Quest. I wasn't really a fan of the show and it's not a great like the other sitcoms mentioned in this thread, but Electrical Relaxtion is a classic song. They changed the theme in the 3rd season to a 4-second hip hop beat, and then changed it again in the 4th & 5th seasons to a regular hip hop instrumental beat, which was alright but still wasn't better than Electrical Relaxtion.

Marlon always cracked me up, but Shawn really annoyed me 90% of the time.

As far as the intros go, the most recent one (or the last one they used) is my personal favorite. The original one with the old lady getting hit by the bus is funny, but I enjoyed the theme in the later version (second video) more.

[YOUTUBE]uuni-ZOcO-4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]cx26DSnx6Ng[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back